“Is this the best we have?”

Since: Aug 07

Emerald City

#35450 May 12, 2013
The problem with the Mets is that the wrong partner sold out back in 2000. Nelson Doubleday was a true baseball fan and he built a good team when he bought them back in 1980. Wilpon was a minor owner and silent partner in those days. They never really got along. Doubleday was interest in building a team and Wilpon being a Real Estate magnet was interesting in building a stadium. Saddest day in Met fans history was when Doubleday sold the team to Wilpon because Doubledays kids had no interest in running the team they were only interested in running the publishing business. Well Mr. Wilpon you built the Stadium and nearly bankrupted yourself and the Mets. You have very little money to reinvest in your team and make it solid. You can blame Alderson, Collins and the entire Met system but the real truth is and I am borrowing from Yogi here "A good owner makes a good organization" and you need money to reinvest in your entire system to make it a good team. Fred look across the river and see what a great organization looks like they make a lot of money and then they bury a lot of it back into the organization. They invest in their own product. Get it Fred. You don't have that money, sell.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35451 May 12, 2013
Am I the only fan who wonders why the Mets' batters take so many first pitches right over the heart of the plate? I can understand not swinging at a first pitch that's on the black; surely here will be another, more hittable, pitch coming up. But with an opening fastball right down the pipe, why wait? As Ted Williams often said, "Get a good pitch to hit."

I would add, "Even if it's the first one."

Veloz

Emerald City

#35452 May 12, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Am I the only fan who wonders why the Mets' batters take so many first pitches right over the heart of the plate? I can understand not swinging at a first pitch that's on the black; surely here will be another, more hittable, pitch coming up. But with an opening fastball right down the pipe, why wait? As Ted Williams often said, "Get a good pitch to hit."
I would add, "Even if it's the first one."
Veloz
You're not the only one to notice it Fast Ed. The only cure to this is to fine the players $5,000 per at bat if they let a big fat juicy fastball go by on the first pitch without taking a swing. I'm sure they are told to hit it by now and if they are not listening then fine them alot and keep fining them. Money talks.

“Lets go Mets/49ers”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#35453 May 12, 2013
Duda with the HR. Game over. No more runs will be needed with the best in the game going...LMAO!

Emerald City

#35454 May 12, 2013
Duda hits another solo Homer. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GET ON BASE AHEAD OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!
Tango

Phoenix, AZ

#35455 May 12, 2013
TMAN_Mets wrote:
Duda with the HR. Game over. No more runs will be needed with the best in the game going...LMAO!
Hey fatso momma chamberlin the quitting moron.......Buckos sweep up the 4th place mutsies at the shiti dumpyard in flushing....ROTFLMFAO

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#35456 May 13, 2013
TMAN_Mets wrote:

this is momma chamberlin using the old tmans handle

say, how did the hr work out today? did the mets win?
the don

Franklin Square, NY

#35457 May 14, 2013
TMAN_Mets wrote:
wrong again you dope.....
the don

Franklin Square, NY

#35458 May 14, 2013
Viva Las Vegas ..Big Ike's on his way..viva las vegas!

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#35459 May 14, 2013
the don wrote:
Viva Las Vegas ..Big Ike's on his way..viva las vegas!
really ? that's too bad. I have some LI Ducks games coming up next month

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#35460 May 14, 2013
Guinness Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
really ? that's too bad. I have some LI Ducks games coming up next month

even though there might be a decent pitcher or 2 in the minors, this team has way too many needs for contending next year...how many free agents are going to want to come over...a whole outfield? a first baseman?

Daytona Beach

#35461 May 15, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
even though there might be a decent pitcher or 2 in the minors, this team has way too many needs for contending next year...how many free agents are going to want to come over...a whole outfield? a first baseman?
what little I know about the Mets is they are about 15 players away, their yearly over-hyped prospect is Zack Wheeler and they built a stadium they can't win in.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#35462 May 15, 2013
Guinness Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
what little I know about the Mets is they are about 15 players away, their yearly over-hyped prospect is Zack Wheeler and they built a stadium they can't win in.

good points...its gonna be a while...love what sandy sells the fan base to try and sell tickets..the savvy met fans know what is going on..

Daytona Beach

#35463 May 15, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
good points...its gonna be a while...love what sandy sells the fan base to try and sell tickets..the savvy met fans know what is going on..
I like Sandy....he's trying. I'm sure he thought by now, those Marlon Byrd jersey's would have been flying off the shelf's.
the don

Franklin Square, NY

#35464 May 15, 2013
Collins is on the Death Watch..after mouthing off about the fans knowing nothing about the game yesterday and his stellar record 14-22 he's gone.

Odds maker have him at 4-1 to be gone by Memorial Day...Do the Mets bring up the little Liar Wally Backman or do we get everybodies favorite Bobby V.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35465 May 15, 2013
Let me provide a little historical perspective for the latest moves by the Mets' front office. It all reminds me of the earliest years of the franchise when George Weiss thought he could keep the fans coming throughout the turnstiles by picking up MLB retreads like Marv Throneberry, Jimmy Piersall, Duke Snider and Carlton Willey.

It ain't gonna work, Sandy. You'd be wiser to bring up the kids in the farm system and simply gird your loins while they go through the natural growing pains of adjusting to the major leagues. At least the fans would be able to glimpse the future while watching the present team struggle. Loading the current roster with retreads like Ankiel and Marcum is like treading water with an anchor tied to your waist.

Veloz
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35466 May 17, 2013
OMG, what in hell is going on inside the head of Ike Davis!? In the first inning today in Chicago he gazed at a couple of fastballs right over the plate to rack up yet another K. Does he realize that a guy wearing sunglasses and carrying a white cane could have done that?

I fail to see the point of continuing to allow Ike to embarrass himself on a daily basis like this. And now Ike has waved helplessly at a high-hop throw from from Tejada to allow a runner to score from second. He can't seem to do anything well anymore.

I think it's time for Ike to take a little vacation in the desert.

Veloz
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35467 May 17, 2013
the don wrote:
Collins is on the Death Watch..after mouthing off about the fans knowing nothing about the game yesterday and his stellar record 14-22 he's gone.
Odds maker have him at 4-1 to be gone by Memorial Day...Do the Mets bring up the little Liar Wally Backman or do we get everybodies favorite Bobby V.
He's right. Most fans have no idea about the game. Playing Little League or High School baseball is not the same as playing in the Major Leagues. Most fans have no idea what a major league locker room is like either. I love when players or managers tell the media and fans that you never played the game and have no idea about what it is really like. It drives the media and fans crazy because it is true, unless you played it at the highst level, just watch and keep the criticism to your talking radio heads and your friends at the bar.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35468 May 17, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
He's right. Most fans have no idea about the game. Playing Little League or High School baseball is not the same as playing in the Major Leagues. Most fans have no idea what a major league locker room is like either. I love when players or managers tell the media and fans that you never played the game and have no idea about what it is really like. It drives the media and fans crazy because it is true, unless you played it at the highst level, just watch and keep the criticism to your talking radio heads and your friends at the bar.
Right again Jerry! There are too damned many fans and professional critics who have never played the game at any organized level yet believe they know how MLB players think. Unfortunately, we cannot force the critics to provide proof of their personal experience in the game. Until you have had some clown pimp his HR in your face, or have had some lunkhead pitcher throw a fastball at you in anger, you can't offer an opinion as to how players should react to these provocations.

Veloz

Emerald City

#35469 May 18, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Let me provide a little historical perspective for the latest moves by the Mets' front office. It all reminds me of the earliest years of the franchise when George Weiss thought he could keep the fans coming throughout the turnstiles by picking up MLB retreads like Marv Throneberry, Jimmy Piersall, Duke Snider and Carlton Willey.
It ain't gonna work, Sandy. You'd be wiser to bring up the kids in the farm system and simply gird your loins while they go through the natural growing pains of adjusting to the major leagues. At least the fans would be able to glimpse the future while watching the present team struggle. Loading the current roster with retreads like Ankiel and Marcum is like treading water with an anchor tied to your waist.
Veloz
Amen. The kids are less painful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Midtown East 43rd (Nov '13) 26 min Sasha W-C 23
Ebola Czar is doing great! Ebola nearly elimi... 35 min Shakeup the TOP f... 2
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 40 min cpeter1313 306,230
Let's play a game (May '11) 49 min Princess Hey 1,041
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 56 min Hot coed babe 47,487
jets talk back (Dec '07) 1 hr Paul Yanks 9,362
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 2 hr jimi-yank 3,082
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 2 hr the real deal 11,015
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 5 hr the Don 309,293
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 6 hr The Man 15,573

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match

New York Jobs

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New York News, Events & Info