Central Park Jogger: Oprah offended me -

Central Park Jogger: Oprah offended me -

There are 164 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 15, 2007, titled Central Park Jogger: Oprah offended me -. In it, Newsday reports that:

The victim of an infamous 1989 sexual attack in Central Park was shocked at what Oprah Winfrey asked her when she broke her silence 13 years later, the victim said in a new interview.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Losers

Staatsburg, NY

#1 Nov 15, 2007
Oprah Winfrey's an idiot, her and Al Sharpton should be dumped into a fire. I admire the victim for being able to come out and share her story. Noone deserves to go through what she did, whether your running in the park alone, walking down the street or taking out the trash, it was a deplorable story.
say what

Denver, CO

#3 Nov 15, 2007
i'm not a big fan of oprahs, but she is an interviewer and asked a question, i see nothing wrong with what she did.

if the jogger agreed to be interviewed, she should have known she would have been asked some differcult questions, so for her to cry foul now is rediculous.
Just my opinion

Warner Robins, GA

#4 Nov 15, 2007
Sooooo, 5 years later she tells how this question offended her? Why bring it up now?
While I agree it might not have been the best question to ask, it's one I think most were asking at the time.
The question doesn't put blame on her, at least not in my opinion; and Oprah has and always will be an advocate for victims like her.
Is her book being re-released? Hmmm...
Comment

Bergenfield, NJ

#5 Nov 15, 2007
Yeah, that is a blame-the-victim statement by Oprah. Please, Oprah and Dr. Phil and his wife Robin are all nauseating. Robin, by the way, is a plastic surgery farm. I can't believe people even waste their time watching Oprah and Dr. Phil.
PCR

Hartsdale, NY

#6 Nov 15, 2007
That is an obvious question though, even though I don't like Oprah.
Awkward question

New Hyde Park, NY

#7 Nov 15, 2007
I agree, it's not right to blame the victim. But, my view is that Oprah sometimes asks those questions as a way of debunking the myths surrounding issues.

Many viewers were probably wondering, "Why..." about a lot of things.

I'm not sure what she asked when Shawn Hornbeck (the kidnapping victim) was on her show, but I'm pretty sure she asked why he didn't try to escape. I also guess that she knew the answer before she asked the question.(And, I'm sure she did not blame him at all).

I guess it's a shame that the question was ever asked, but I have to say that in this case, I don't believe there was any malice there, as there might be on a different show (Bill O'Reilly perhaps).

“ANARCHY... NEXT STOP”

Since: Sep 07

NY

#8 Nov 15, 2007
I guess her book wasn't selling very well and it was time for some publicity...
Crime Watcher

United States

#9 Nov 15, 2007
I used to live in an "inner city" neighborhood. I remember an incident when I was driving home in the evening, I saw a white teenager lying on the street. He was seriously injured. I stopped to help him and I found out that he was walking home from school when a gang of black teenagers attacked him and beat him to a pulp. I stayed with the kid and rolled up my coat to put under his head. After a long while, a policeman arrived. When this cop found out what had happened, he got belligerent with the victim and angrily asked him "Did you say anything to them? Did you provoke them?" The kid moaned "no". The cop finally angrily drove off. Eventually, an ambulance arrived. This was never reported by the news media, anywhere.
Vicki

Overland Park, KS

#10 Nov 15, 2007
I agree with the victim. She has the right to go out for a run whenever she wants! Why do we always blame the victim for their actions!
Levittown Lover

United States

#11 Nov 15, 2007
but it wasnt a smart thing to do to go jogging alone at night in central park, regardless
Irving

Delray Beach, FL

#13 Nov 15, 2007
So now what? She's looking to sue Oprah?
ditto

AOL

#14 Nov 15, 2007
Irving wrote:
So now what? She's looking to sue Oprah?
thank you. you took the words right outta my mouth.
BPK

Cranford, NJ

#16 Nov 15, 2007
I'm not a fan of Oprah but I'm on her side with this one. As others have pointed out, she was interviewing the victim and a good interviewer may ask some questions that the interviewee may not like or feel comfortable answering. While what happened to her was a tragedy, it is widely known that Central Park is not a safe place at night - not in 1989 and not today. She has the freedom to run when and where she wants but use common sense and don't put yourself into a potentially unsafe situation. If everyone used more common sense and stopped being so sensitive about everything said to them we'd all be better off!
say what

Denver, CO

#17 Nov 15, 2007
Vicki wrote:
I agree with the victim. She has the right to go out for a run whenever she wants! Why do we always blame the victim for their actions!
nobody blamed the victim, all oprah did was ask her why she went jogging at night, that's all.
if she didn't want to answer questions about what happened, she never should have agreed to do the interview
Frank

New York, NY

#19 Nov 15, 2007
Therefore, since this woman, the jogger, has voiced her opinion against Orca Winfrey she will be labeled a racist.
Frank

New York, NY

#20 Nov 15, 2007
Crime Watcher wrote:
I used to live in an "inner city" neighborhood. I remember an incident when I was driving home in the evening, I saw a white teenager lying on the street. He was seriously injured. I stopped to help him and I found out that he was walking home from school when a gang of black teenagers attacked him and beat him to a pulp. I stayed with the kid and rolled up my coat to put under his head. After a long while, a policeman arrived. When this cop found out what had happened, he got belligerent with the victim and angrily asked him "Did you say anything to them? Did you provoke them?" The kid moaned "no". The cop finally angrily drove off. Eventually, an ambulance arrived. This was never reported by the news media, anywhere.
He must've had money on him. There's no way they were trying to steal his school books.

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#21 Nov 15, 2007
She needs to re-examine her offense and look to see if she is perhaps now coming to terms with the fact that while she is blameless, and it should not have happened that she was STUPID for running the Park at night. If I as a male did it and I was mugged or worse I would say the same thing.

Oprah was not asking the question as a form of judgement, she asked it because she was interviewing her on her show; This was a question that people wanted to hear her answer because it was what many of us were asking. Granted that it is true that she did not deserve it, but even today you are taking a huge risk running almost any part of the Park at night.
Really

Rockaway, NJ

#22 Nov 15, 2007
It's 5 years later, time to get on with your life. Chalk it up to experience and go out there and live.

Since: Dec 06

United States

#24 Nov 15, 2007
i also agree w/ the victim...but i thought the attack happened a few years earlier, around the time Robert Chambers murdered Jen Levine?

“Once Saved...Always Saved!!!”

Since: Jan 07

Bastrop Louisiana

#25 Nov 15, 2007
For those of you siding with Oprah on this issue, what would you say if your grandmother, mother, sister, aunt, or wife was out walking sometime and was attacked and she was asked what were you doing out there and you should have known better than to be there. That is a blame the victim question and should have been left unasked. Oprah has done innumerable great things for people but this was not one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jets talk back (Dec '07) 1 hr jimi-yank 14,830
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 6 hr SirLiesAlot 5,402
Tenco jhtoitom hmsxl ercote benoehito???morio i... 6 hr Zoyreclisacorcaml... 1
Yankees fans throw beer at Houston Astros manag... 6 hr Stephon 6
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 7 hr Paul Yanks 6,978
Time to go? (Jun '15) 7 hr tennessee2 13,641
Is Mandalay Bay bring forthright? 7 hr Light Shine In 2
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 11 hr Paul Yanks 341,115

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages