Hicksville 'Cool downtown' plan in the works

Full story: Newsday

County Executive Thomas Suozzi brought his "cool downtown" vision of a new Nassau Friday to Hicksville, which he said could be the heart of his plan for a "New Suburbia." "I have said for years that Hicksville has the greatest potential to become a "Cool Downtown" and I am delighted to begin working with the community on this vision for ...
Comments
61 - 76 of 76 Comments Last updated Aug 15, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Finding New Ikea

Far Rockaway, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

disgusted wrote:
6 out of 8 of my neighbors are renting out rooms one of those 6 is renting rooms to 3-5 unrelated people. there are between 5-8 cars there per night. at least the others are more discreet. they don't even have the courtesy to park in front of their own residence they spread out and crowd everyone else's parking space. the lawn is a foot high and the backyards is filled with junk. repairs attemped by them instead of calling in a contractor really make it look shabby. time for suozzi to sweep the neighborhoods and get rid of these boarding houses.
"Wow you have reserved parking spaces on your block! I need to move to Hicksville now!"
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

Finding New Ikea wrote:
If these messages on this board are any indication of the caliber of people in Hicksville I must say that I'd just as soon not ever even visit or shop in Hicksville. All your complaints about Hispanics, Indians and the homeless. HOMELESS!! We're in a recession with people losing their homes at record rates and you have the nerve to complain about people living on the streets as though anyone gets up and decides "hey let me go live under a train station." The people in your neighborhood are no better than people in other neighborhoods so spare the comparisons to Rockaway Blvd. Last I checked Hicksville, like most of America is a middle class neighborhood. Get over yourselves. You're no better than anyone else nor do you have any more right to live here than anyone else. Perhaps your lack of class is what attracted these "undesirables" to "your" neighborhood in the first place. People with class would not sit on the internet and spew hatred towards others.
The difference is that there have been bums, undesirables and illegals around the train station long before this recent economic pitfall.
Finding New Ikea

Far Rockaway, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

OhWellShitHappens wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is that there have been bums, undesirables and illegals around the train station long before this recent economic pitfall.
My intention was not to intimate that people live there because of this turn in the economy. I was however hoping that this turn in the economy would cause Americans to have some empathy. Certainly we realize now that as your name suggests "shit happens". People fall on hard times and if we all sit around pointing the finger rather than helping each other-we get no where.
"Those who fail to provide for the poor, won't be able to spend enough to protect the rich."
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Finding New Ikea wrote:
<quoted text>
My intention was not to intimate that people live there because of this turn in the economy. I was however hoping that this turn in the economy would cause Americans to have some empathy. Certainly we realize now that as your name suggests " **** happens". People fall on hard times and if we all sit around pointing the finger rather than helping each other-we get no where.
"Those who fail to provide for the poor, won't be able to spend enough to protect the rich."
Yeah, we Americans have empathy and we help our own. Screw the illegals, they don’t count.
I wasn’t placed on this earth to provide for the poor thieving illegals. I have enough trouble keeping what’s mine to provide for me. Trust me, it’s a full-time job working it so it isn’t stolen.
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Finding New Ikea wrote:
<quoted text>
My intention was not to intimate that people live there because of this turn in the economy. I was however hoping that this turn in the economy would cause Americans to have some empathy. Certainly we realize now that as your name suggests " **** happens". People fall on hard times and if we all sit around pointing the finger rather than helping each other-we get no where.
Why don't you give your paycheck to the bums and support them? Better yet, let them sleep on your couch.
Thomas Price

Secaucus, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi and his Nassau County police department suck.

Hey, Mr. Suozzi. How about lighting a fire under the azz of your cops and make them start harassing the drug addicts who harass your constituents at the Hicksville train station. Is it really too much to ask your police to proactively clean the station up.

Wasn't it just last year that a 21 year-old woman purchased heroin from one of these lowlifes at the Hicksville TS? Didn't she overdose and was found near death from the overdose. Didn't your professional police department refuse to arrest this female junkie and characterize her as a "VICTIM" when releasing information to the news about this incident?

How disgusting are you and your cops Tom Suozzi; in that you refuse to arrest people who buy and use heroin? Are you or your team of professional cops aware that the lowlife this young woman purchased her drugs from is back out on the street and still selling drugs at the Hicksville TS.

In two weeks people from around the world are going to descend on Bethpage Park. Many of them will be traveling through the Hicksville train station. Is this the impression of Hicksville that you want them to see....bums and lowlifes pooping, pi55ing, panhandling, drugging, drinking and fornicating out in public?

Have you ever been to the Hicksville TS, Mr. Suozzi? Try walking down the platform's most easterly stairway, closer to Jerusalem Ave. The smell of fresh and stale urine in the air can become so overwhelming that you want to puke.

If you and your cops really cared about the public and believed in your oath, this ongoing problem would have already been addressed years ago.

And please don't trust your cops to do their job. Most of these officers are useless unless they have a commander standing over their shoulder 24/7, telling them what to do.

Mr. Suozzi, until you and your nearly useless cops address this problem, you get absolutely no respect from me.

Thomas Price
Hicksville
hixcomet

Ringwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

great town, downtown does need to be cleaned up.

Good luck in the LI lax champioship hicksville and welcome back. I now live out of state, and will always call hicksville home. A great place to live, wonderful sense of community.

A lot of miserable people on this board, most of which are not from hicksville I notice.
geddyleesgirl

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

suozzi can't do a thing with Hicksville. The town has been taken over by an influx of new people who do not want any part of the community. These people have their own bank, super market, coffee shop and it doesn't there. They have a yearly festival in the middle of Hicksville, that they exclude the rest of the community, by not offering any form of invitation. For example flyers, signs or advertisement in local papers. These people have set-up their own fifedom which even some of their own publications are now calling Hicksville "hind-ville".
Finding New Ikea

Far Rockaway, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

Judged:

OhWellShitHappens wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you give your paycheck to the bums and support them? Better yet, let them sleep on your couch.
blank stare *sighs*. Ok illegals and immigrants are ruining your town, quick sell your home (good luck) and move somewhere where there are no immigrants (good luck). Perhaps then you all won't sound so miserable and bitter...maybe then you'd be able to find something to complain about that you can actually change because your current rants are rather irrelevant. "Indians have their own bank"..."they play Spanish music on memorial day"..."such and such group have their own festival and don't invite us". Get real people. We're all immigrants to this country, new immigrants will never assimilate fully however their future generations will...just the way it works.
But hicks of Hicksville, let's not pussyfoot around the real reason for all your whining. The darker the immigrant, the louder and more frequent the complaint. Had you had an influx of WASPs, not a peep would be heard. But heaven forbid races combine in any one of these segregated suburbs of Long Island. Heaven forbid we lose the title of most segregated suburb in America.
the inquirer

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Judged:

Finding New Ikea wrote:
<quoted text>
blank stare *sighs*. Ok illegals and immigrants are ruining your town, quick sell your home (good luck) and move somewhere where there are no immigrants (good luck). Perhaps then you all won't sound so miserable and bitter...maybe then you'd be able to find something to complain about that you can actually change because your current rants are rather irrelevant. "Indians have their own bank"..."they play Spanish music on memorial day"..."such and such group have their own festival and don't invite us". Get real people. We're all immigrants to this country, new immigrants will never assimilate fully however their future generations will...just the way it works.
But hicks of Hicksville, let's not pussyfoot around the real reason for all your whining. The darker the immigrant, the louder and more frequent the complaint. Had you had an influx of WASPs, not a peep would be heard. But heaven forbid races combine in any one of these segregated suburbs of Long Island. Heaven forbid we lose the title of most segregated suburb in America.
I wholeheartedly concur on all of your posts. Unfortunately, many people are self consumed and unconcerned with humanity beyond their own family.
Mike

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

I happen to be a white guy --- and I have to say I'd rather live with anybody but ign'ant white hicks, who live less than an hour from the most cosmopolitain area in the country and still rush to categorize everybody with the same broad brush.

Indians and El Salvadorians aren't part of the same group (look at a world map for christ's sake.) Not every "brown" person in Hicksville is closed-minded and sticks to their own. Not every immigrant is illegal --- and a great many bring medical, scientific, and engineering skills that we natives don't possess.

To the immigrants who exclude American culture: shame on you. And to the Americans who don't say hello to their neighbors because they assume they are part of some "invasion": shame on you too.

Since: Jul 07

Rocky Point, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

get real wrote:
Born and raised there. Breaks my heart to see Broadway turned into Little India
And what's wrong with that? If you are going to have immigrants in your town, they're just about the best you can hope for. They have their own businesses, many of them are educated and professionals. You rarely read about Indian kids committing crimes or violence. I for one am glad we have them here.

Since: Jul 07

Rocky Point, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Thomas Price wrote:
Have you ever been to the Hicksville TS, Mr. Suozzi? Try walking down the platform's most easterly stairway, closer to Jerusalem Ave. The smell of fresh and stale urine in the air can become so overwhelming that you want to puke.
Thomas, another thing that really pisses me off are the morons at the Hicksville Train station who go out of their way to feed the local pigeon population, which is why there are so many pigeons there bombarding the place with their droppings. I have gotten into arguments with a couple of these idiots on the platform. They just stare back with this uncomprehending gaze, apparently unable to fathom that they are responsible for the pigeon droppings.
T-bone

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2009

How do I get rid of an illeagal apartment in Hicksville?
It is killing the block. thanks
EBerg

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

joseb wrote:
Suozzi said the potential is great, but so are the problems.
Really Tommy Boy? Where the hell have you been; Downtown Hicksville is a third world S--thole. My wife can not even go down Broadway without a bunch of ILLEGAL ALIENS gawking and insinuating vulgar comments or the smell of urine.
Problem one- ILLEGAL ALIENS, get them the hell out of my country!!! But alas Tommy Boy has made Nassau County a sanctuary county for the hispanic votes. Yeah, yeah I know “Tommy Boy” they are hard working to provide for their families; spare me the culture cr-ap. Get them out Tommy Boy.
Problem two- how are you going to make it a "cool downtown"? There is no parking and competition with the mall. I do not want a "cool downtown". I want an efficient and well oiled downtown not some pie in the sky pipe dream at the taxpayers expense so you can say,“See look what I did” and then run from the problem when it rears its ugly head.
Problem three- with a number of commercial multi-story buildings dormant in Hicksville; what do you plan on putting there "Tommy Boy"?
You're just another dumb ass racist....your time is limited
EBerg

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

T-bone wrote:
How do I get rid of an illeagal apartment in Hicksville?
It is killing the block. thanks
Call the town....same thing happened on my block and I reported it and they were out within the month.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 45,911
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr scirocco 68,456
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr Brian_G 305,184
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 10 hr Maude 14,427
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 11 hr FuMan Chu Yanks 306,252
what is obama's strength 12 hr the real deal 13
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 14 hr Candy4Me 9,399
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) Wed LI Football fan 10,242
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••