Hicksville 'Cool downtown' plan in th...

Hicksville 'Cool downtown' plan in the works

There are 76 comments on the Newsday story from May 29, 2009, titled Hicksville 'Cool downtown' plan in the works. In it, Newsday reports that:

County Executive Thomas Suozzi brought his "cool downtown" vision of a new Nassau Friday to Hicksville, which he said could be the heart of his plan for a "New Suburbia." "I have said for years that Hicksville has the greatest potential to become a "Cool Downtown" and I am delighted to begin working with the community on this vision for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
hammer

Sunnyvale, CA

#2 May 29, 2009
great idea, just keep the criminals on the other side of the tracks!
wheres my bailout

United States

#3 May 29, 2009
"Hicksville is one of the worst examples of unplanned suburban sprawl in all of Nassau County"

an honest politician
OK TERRIFIC

Albany, NY

#4 May 29, 2009
hammer wrote:
great idea, just keep the criminals on the other side of the tracks!
I look forward to see how they are going to "relocate" the large homeless population that call the Hicksville trainstation home. Not to forget the huge illegal alien population that also call downtown home. These two groups are why nobody wants to do business in that neck of the woods. It's merely a place to drivethru to get to the otherside leading to somewhere else.
India

Huntington, NY

#5 May 29, 2009
Isnt hicksville Little India now?
Steve Langford

Huntington, NY

#6 May 29, 2009
What about New Hyde Park "down town"...There are plenty of bars and resturants. Get some of the "people" who go to these places out by bringing in classier people. Jericho Turnpike between NHP road and a little beyond Lakeville road (Umbertos) would be better than RVC and alot of other towns.
Mike

Sunnyvale, CA

#7 May 29, 2009
It's about time. Hicksville used to have a great 'downtown' until they widened broadway and tore down all the buildings on the west side of the road. It never quite recovered.

Add some high-end apartment buildings close to the station --- and you'll get more tax dollars without more traffic.

You'll also get a new class of people in the area, to support your new restaurants and businesses.

But please --- don't mess with the donut shop!
embarrassed to live here

Elmwood Park, NJ

#8 May 29, 2009
Its about time they did something with "downtown" Hicksville. I worked in Hicksville for 20 years and now live here the past 10 I have said over and over again how other towns have a nice main street with great shops and restaurants. I am embarrassed to have friends visit via Broadway. Its dirty and run down looking and looks more like your in a foreign country than a nice town. Hicksville has alot to offer but you wouldn't know it by driving through there. I would love to see more street renovations like they did on Jerusalem Ave near Trinity Lutheran Church, old fashioned lamposts and bricks on the sidewalks. Flowers and hanging baskets would brighten up the area like I have seen in other towns. My son says Hicksville is boring and there is nothing to do here with friends. He loves Main St. in Huntington and says there is so much to do there. Oh yea, and what is that monstrasity by the fountain in the middle of Broadway and Barclay street? It overshadows the nice flowers and bushes they planted. Get rid of it, please!
Nonsense

Blauvelt, NY

#10 May 29, 2009
Way to save this initiative for an election year Suozzi...especially since you've been sitting on it for years. Maybe if you weren't off seeking higher office for most of your term, this process could have been started years ago. I hope you lose in November.

Since: Jul 07

Patchogue, NY

#11 May 29, 2009
embarrassed to live here wrote:
Its about time they did something with "downtown" Hicksville. I worked in Hicksville for 20 years and now live here the past 10 I have said over and over again how other towns have a nice main street with great shops and restaurants. I am embarrassed to have friends visit via Broadway. Its dirty and run down looking and looks more like your in a foreign country than a nice town. Hicksville has alot to offer but you wouldn't know it by driving through there. I would love to see more street renovations like they did on Jerusalem Ave near Trinity Lutheran Church, old fashioned lamposts and bricks on the sidewalks. Flowers and hanging baskets would brighten up the area like I have seen in other towns. My son says Hicksville is boring and there is nothing to do here with friends. He loves Main St. in Huntington and says there is so much to do there. Oh yea, and what is that monstrasity by the fountain in the middle of Broadway and Barclay street? It overshadows the nice flowers and bushes they planted. Get rid of it, please!
I am from Hicksville and still commute to work in NYC from the train station. I agree with your friend, Main Street in Huntington is a good model for what a vibrant suburban downtown can be. I think Hicksville has potential, if it's done right.
Just Sayin

Nesconset, NY

#12 May 29, 2009
Let's be honest it resembles a third world country and that's why nobody goes there except the third world people who like to loiter on the street corners. Oh and let's not forget about the homeless and their makeshift homes under the train overpass. If really is a dirty looking shithole.
ankur

Nyack, NY

#13 May 29, 2009
I don't want cool, I want efficient and accessible.
Frankie M

Brooklyn, NY

#14 May 29, 2009
Suozzi, enjoy ur reign while it lasts, u are done at the next election.

Hicksville has a mall, what else do u want
my2cents

Saint James, NY

#15 May 29, 2009
I agree. I've lived here all my life and downtown was always seedy and run down. I later worked in Jamaica, Queens, and noticed that there is a strong resemblance to the stretch of Rockaway Blvd. by the Van Wyck. That's just not right. I'm excited about making this happen and would love to volunteer for a planning committee if there is one open to us ordinary folks.
the inquirer

Brooklyn, NY

#16 May 29, 2009
I wonder which town will revitalize first: Hicksville or Patchogue? I don't think Patchogue's ten year head start has done them any good.
joseb

Brooklyn, NY

#17 May 29, 2009
Suozzi said the potential is great, but so are the problems.

Really Tommy Boy? Where the hell have you been; Downtown Hicksville is a third world S--thole. My wife can not even go down Broadway without a bunch of ILLEGAL ALIENS gawking and insinuating vulgar comments or the smell of urine.

Problem one- ILLEGAL ALIENS, get them the hell out of my country!!! But alas Tommy Boy has made Nassau County a sanctuary county for the hispanic votes. Yeah, yeah I know “Tommy Boy” they are hard working to provide for their families; spare me the culture cr-ap. Get them out Tommy Boy.

Problem two- how are you going to make it a "cool downtown"? There is no parking and competition with the mall. I do not want a "cool downtown". I want an efficient and well oiled downtown not some pie in the sky pipe dream at the taxpayers expense so you can say,“See look what I did” and then run from the problem when it rears its ugly head.

Problem three- with a number of commercial multi-story buildings dormant in Hicksville; what do you plan on putting there "Tommy Boy"?
Davie Crotchett

Roy, WA

#18 May 29, 2009
Hicksville is done, Same damm thing as the Alamo! It;s been overrun and it's time to pull the American flag until we can take it back! Even that drunk guy on East John st, left, That says alot!
Bernie

Spartanburg, SC

#19 May 29, 2009
I left Hicksville in 1976. The last time I visited was in 1983. From what I see on the Google satellite view, Hicksville has become one big strip mall. Also, most of the pizza places have been replaced by Indian restaurants. Curry to go anybody?
apathy sucks

Cedar Knolls, NJ

#20 May 29, 2009
OK TERRIFIC wrote:
I look forward to see how they are going to "relocate" the large homeless population that call the Hicksville trainstation home.
Homeless, my azz..the people who hang at the Hicksville train station are junkies, lowlifes, thugs and cut throats. They urinate and defecate out in public..they steal anything that aint tied down..they get into fights and end up bleeding all over the place....and a few of them supply the illegal narcotics that keep most of them coming back every friggin day.

I refuse to allow my wife to use that station. We live in Hicksville, but use the Bethpage station because of the illegal loitering and in your face drug use that local and MTA police allow to fester at Hicksville.

The cops and the police supervisors responsible for maintaining order on that beat should be ashamed of themselves.
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

#21 May 30, 2009
How nice. Rebuild an area for the dirty illegals to destroy. The only decent think in Hicksville is Sears.
OhWellShitHappen s

Brooklyn, NY

#22 May 30, 2009
**** = d1rty illegals

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min BamBam 64,700
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min June VanDerMark 341,462
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 22 min jimi-yank 47,561
Whine and Cheese: Where are the crackers (Dec '09) 38 min 2 Dogs 1,875
We VS We (Nov '09) 46 min 2 Dogs 2,977
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 10 hr Maude 7,517
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 11 hr jimi-yank 344,692
jets talk back (Dec '07) 16 hr jimi-yank 16,243

New York Jobs

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages