The Lemonade/Master Cleanser Diet

The Lemonade/Master Cleanser Diet

There are 133 comments on the Newsday story from May 6, 2007, titled The Lemonade/Master Cleanser Diet. In it, Newsday reports that:

While I relish extreme cuisine , I do not like excessive diets. However, in the name of "Dieter's Diary," I went on the Master Cleanser Diet, also known as the Lemonade Diet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Observer

Pleasanton, CA

#1 May 7, 2007
Let me ask a question: So you lost weight... How long does it take to put it all back on? Like all thse "quick-hit" diets, they don't work long term.
Billy

Wantagh, NY

#2 May 7, 2007
I tried this and lasted only five days. Uch!
Curious

Stony Brook, NY

#3 May 7, 2007
Sounds interesting...a couple of questions - Did you have much weight to loose? Are you normally a light eater? And, just how much time did you actually spend in the bathroom???
louie

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 7, 2007
does this work?
Spencer

United States

#5 May 7, 2007
This diet was all the rage in the 80s. I guess everything 80s is hot again.
Ray

Highland Mills, NY

#6 May 7, 2007
I have done this diet as well. I did it the first time for about ten days and lost weight very easily. It is not so much for losing weight as it is to detoxify your body and make one healthier. I did research on it and even bought a book and there are stories of people actually lowering there cholestorol by doing this. Apparently Beyonce as well as Robyn Quivers from the Howard Stern Show have done this diet as well. It is ideal to do this once every three months. If you want to lose weight cut the maple syrup down to 1 tablespoon instead of two, and the darker the maple syrup the better. One part left out of the story above is the salt water. When you wake up in the morning, drink 30 ounces of salt water. It must be sea salt though, table salt does not give you the effect you are looking for. Within 30 minutes you are in the bathroom and that is usually it for the day. Also do not be alarmed if after 4 or 5 days your bowl movement is more water than anything else. The rest of the day drink the lemonade mixture. More is better but at the very least 60 to 80 ounces a day. Also, distilled water is best. I would go to the supermarket and get gallon jugs of distilled water and mix my lemonade in the gallon jug and keep the jug with me all day. It can be warm or cold, but room temp is best. Finally at night, before bed time drink a cup of the laxative tea. It is flavored so not that bad in taste. This helps to move all the impurities into your intestines. In the morning start it all over again with the salt water. After about two days the hungry feeling goes away and you will not believe the amount of energy you have. Around the second or third day you may experience a headache as well, dont be alarmed just the toxins being released and moving around your body. It goes away shortly. This is not some crackpot scheme. It is easy to put together and after a few days becomes second nature. It is all about mind of matter. I found out about this diet from my local health food store. There you can get the organic lemon juice in a bottle as well as the maple syrup and cheyenne pepper. Buy the distilled water in a supermarket where it is a little cheaper. There are other cleansers one can do and also eat, but the eating is curtailed and limited to certain foods. I lost close to 20 pounds on the lemonade diet. As with any diet it is all about a lifestyle change to keep it off. The hardest part and most crucial part is coming off the diet and reintroducing your body to food. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to lose weight, get healthy and find energy they thought was gone. It is trying time for the first three days though.
Dieter

Pleasantville, NY

#7 May 7, 2007
I tried this for 5 days and it does work, but the minute you start eating solid foods again, you put the weight back on. Of course, not as much if you watch what you eat, but you still don't feel as "light" as you did while on the cleanse.
Joe Gippetto

New York, NY

#8 May 7, 2007
How low does your IQ have to be to go on this diet?
Grandpa

Clifton, NJ

#9 May 7, 2007
Ah, OK, Ray.

“silly conspiracy theory HA”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island

#10 May 7, 2007
Aha! Finally a subject I am an expert on. OK this does work, but I would not classify this as a diet, more like a natural detox. Of course if anyone lived on liquid w/no calories for a week you will loose weight. But I would not do this for weight loss but more for the detox part. Also I dont know about doing it every few months, maybe more like 1x a year. This does get rid of all the built up crap in your system and supposably you do feel 100x better.

If you really want to cleanse out your system and are human and need to live on solid food and cant do the lemonade diet which sounds totally disgusting (lemon water + maple syrup and chugging salt water PUKE) anyway, there are great supplements - two I would recommend - they are not harsh, all natural ingrediants - one is called WOW (because after you finally go you will be saying WOW WTF have I been eating) and the other is Nature's Secret® Super Cleanse(dont get the Super Colon Cleanse bottle with the picture of the intestins because you will crap your eyes out.)

I think you can get these at like GNC and are not that expensive.
Laureen

Stony Brook, NY

#11 May 7, 2007
You should actually be using Grade B Maple syrup, grade A is too processed and does not have as many nutriants as the Grade B. Come on Joe and Ray Nothing nice to say then keep your mouths shut, I use this as a cleanse not as a diet because to lose weight you have to make lifestyle changes, there are no quick fixes. But if you start with this it will pick up your metabolism and help get you on the right track.

Since: Dec 06

White Plains, NY

#12 May 7, 2007
Joe Gippetto wrote:
How low does your IQ have to be to go on this diet?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA well my IQ drops about 60 points everytime I read about a new one....
ketchup

Suffern, NY

#13 May 7, 2007
Ray wrote:
One part left out of the story above is the salt water. When you wake up in the morning, drink 30 ounces of salt water. It must be sea salt though, table salt does not give you the effect you are looking for. Within 30 minutes you are in the bathroom and that is usually it for the day.
You sir, need to educate yourself before spouting nonsense that could land people in the hospital.

Are you seriously suggesting people guzzle salt water?? Are you kidding me??

Want to know what happens if you drink salt water? Bill Bryson puts it vividly:

Take a lot of salt into your body and your metabolism very quickly goes into crisis. From every cell, water molecules rush off like so many voluntary firemen to try to dilute and carry off the sudden intake of salt. This leaves the cells dangerously short of the water they need to carry out their normal functions. They become, in a word, dehydrated. In extreme situations, dehydration will lead to seizures, unconsciousness, and brain damage. Meanwhile, the overworked blood cells carry the salt to the kidneys, which eventually become overwhelmed and shut down. WITHOUT FUNCTIONING KIDNEYS YOU DIE. That is why we don't drink seawater.
Ray

Highland Mills, NY

#14 May 7, 2007
First of all i am not saying anything bad about this diet, it works for me and does what it is suppose to do. Just informing people of the actually results and things you must go through based on my expreience...take it or leave it at the door. Second, Mr. or Ms. Ketchup, I think you need to read you exerpt again. It clearly states "Take alot of salt into your body..." and "in extreme situations..." will adversly affect the body; i.e drinking strictly salt water for two days and nothing else. All i said was to drink two tablespoons of sea salt dissolved in thirty ounces of water once a day. Hardly alot or an extreme amount. The body needs a normal intake of salt per day just like it needs any other vitamin, hence why the British colonized the sub continent of India, so they could control the salt mines and thus why we all know the name Ghandi more than we know half the Presidents of the United States of America. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the two tablespoons of all natural,non processed and chemically unchanged is better for the body. The two tablespoons one ingests once a day while on this diet, while drinking 60 or more ounces of water is far less than the amount of salt, aka sodium that one would find in the average soft drink, weight watchers meal or any other dinner they prepare or purchase. Dehydration is a come problem in this country. More than half of the people in this country do not drink the necessary amount of water each day, and are thus dehydrated. So before you call me uneducated without even knowing me and get all outraged think about all the facts. Finally, I am not trying to put anyone in the hospital and am not telling people that they HAVE to do it this way. I am simply stating that this is the way that I did it and it is what worked for me. I am not qualified to prescribe any form of treatment, however I can speak from experience and that is exactly what I am doing.
ketchup

Suffern, NY

#15 May 8, 2007
Ray wrote:
It clearly states "Take alot of salt into your body..." and "in extreme situations..." will adversly affect the body; i.e drinking strictly salt water for two days and nothing else. All i said was to drink two tablespoons of sea salt dissolved in thirty ounces of water once a day. Hardly alot or an extreme amount. The body needs a normal intake of salt per day just like it needs any other vitamin,
Let's do the math shall we? The recommended daily intake of sodium per day is 2400mg. One tablespoon is approximately 15 grams dry weight. You say to take 2 tablespoons a day, thats about 30 grams. Multiply 30 grams by 1000 to convert to milligrams, we get 30,000mg of sodium in 30 oz of water, there's 8 oz in a cup. Recommended water intake every day is roughly .5oz for every pound you weigh. A 150lb man for instance should take in 75oz of water, or 4.5 cups. You are suggesting 12.5 times the recommended intake of salt in about 3.75 cups of water. That small amount of water could not possibly counteract the amount of sodium you are ingesting. So yeah, I think I'd categorize that as extreme. You would have to eat 20 cans of high sodium soup to get that much salt in a day. Anyone who ate that much sodium everyday is eather dead or now on dialysis because their kidneys shriveled into raisins.
Dieter

Wantagh, NY

#16 May 8, 2007
First of all Ketchup... you can have 2 tablespoons of ALL NATURAL SEA SALT. I eat weight watchers meals... do you know how much sodium is in a weight watchers meal? anywhere from 250mg to 1000mg of sodium in one meal. And I eat two of them a day, so if I haven't had renal kidney failure due to the amount of sodium I intake from eating these meals 2x a day 7 days a week, I highly doubt that 2 tablespoons of ALL NATURAL SEA SALT will cause renal kidney failure. You might want to ask your doctor about ALL NATURAL SEA SALT, or better yet ask any health food store person and they will tell you that it's ok to use ALL NATURAL SEA SALT. Any othe type of salt has been broken down with chemicals and isn't NATURAL. Those are the kinds of salts that will give renal kidney failure. So don't sit here and make this a 2nd grade shoving match, Ray was simply stating what worked for him. Everybodies body is different and he was simply giving some advice and you people jump on him like a timid little shild in a corner. You people that have nothing nice to say should grow up and act like adults.
Manny

Bronx, NY

#17 May 8, 2007
Ugh, I'll stick with low carb instead. As long as I stick to the correct foods I can eat as much as I want, and I've been losing over 2 lbs a week (15 more lbs to go).

Extra sharp cheddar, anyone ?
Nutrition

Binghamton, NY

#18 May 8, 2007
The body cleanses itsef every day when you go to the bath room. Wastes are essentially the toxins that your body is getting rid of from the foods you eat throughout the day. I wouldn't doubt if the majority of those people who lose weight gain it right back after they start eating a regular diet again. The healthiest and most effective way of maintaining a healthy body is eating a healthy balanced diet, especially getting your fruits and veggies every day.

“silly conspiracy theory HA”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island

#19 May 8, 2007
Manny, I was on the low carb for a while, which is how I 'needed' to learn about WOW or Colon Cleanse pills. Dont know about you, but when you dont #2 for a few days in a row, trust me all of the protien you are eating is not getting totally burned up and eliminated in your system.

*Before starting any diet you really should detox your system out first. Rid yourself of all the old crap in your system and it will really make you start to feel better too.
Manny wrote:
Ugh, I'll stick with low carb instead. As long as I stick to the correct foods I can eat as much as I want, and I've been losing over 2 lbs a week (15 more lbs to go).
Extra sharp cheddar, anyone ?
34 wants to be 32

Keansburg, NJ

#20 May 8, 2007
I am willing to give this a go, does it really work?? we will see

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 2 min jimi-yank 338,901
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 15 min Princess Hey 18,377
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 19 min weaponX 315,264
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 33 min the don 6,562
Knicks talk back (Dec '06) 1 hr Ricky D 6,625
News Geraldo's Selective Fairness (Nov '12) 1 hr Tex- 8
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 17,041
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 3 hr friend of anthonys 4,618

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages