Yankees president Randy Levine defends Torre offer -

Full story: Newsday

The uproar over Joe Torre's departure as Yankees manager has cast the club's president, Randy Levine, in a new and challenging role - that of a major-league New York-style lightning rod.
Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Oct 24, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
VOR

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

What is clear to me is that it wasn't the offer, after all, 5 million is still the highest salary in MLB, and incentives don't have to be insulting, but the attitude in which it was presented.

In NY Yankeeland, 2nd place is first place for losers. The end all is to win all the marbles. Forget about the comparisons with Stengel, McCarthy or anyone else. Those guys couldn't make the playoffs unless they had the best record in the league, even if there were only 8 teams. one of eight is still a lot tougher than 4 out of 14.

I think either the Yankees really didn't want Torre back that badly, and therefore drew the line in the sand, or they convinced themselves it was such a good offer, that they forgot to sell it to Torre graciously.

If the old Steinbrenner wanted Torre with this deal, he would have gotten his man.
BronxBornLifelon g Fan

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

I'll admit Torre didn't have the greatest year decision-wise, but
he didn't deserve the treatment he got by the boss, tweedle dee, tweedle "dumb" and the rest of the classless Yankee Management. Levine again proves to New Yorkers how much he dislikes Torre. I understand the rotton tomatoes are already being saved for his next trip to the Bronx. The shame of it is that these clowns will make money regardless of who is on the field, and I really think they don't care. These days daddy is dribbling into his oatmeal and the boys combined don't have the I Q of a ball park frank. I remember all too well the 80's in the Bronx . I feel sorry for the next manager. Here we go again.

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

bronx born says " the shame of it is that these clowns will make money regardless of who is on the field". but it is the fans who continue to shell out hard earned bucks that provide a large portion of that money. it has been clear, probably in most sports, that you can do anything, no matter how the paying fans feel, and they will still continue to buy tickets to support the team { also known as management}.
Joe Pepitone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

The Yankees better get used to second place. You now have two Steinbrenners meddling instead of one. Goodbye Joe, Arod, Jorge, Andy. Roger and Mariano.
Gene Michael

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

It is clear that the Yankees no longer want to shell out money for free agents. Look at the difference between the free agents signed by the Yankees and those signed by Boston. The Red Sox should be renamed the Boston New Yankees!
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Like I said before and I will say it again: Welcome back to the Bronx Zoo. No more serene team, clubhouse and media relations. I guess the Steinbrenner's feel they need to get the backpage everyday in order to get the attention they feel they need. I must admit I considered myself a big Steinbrenner fan while Joe Torre was manager. Now, I have been reminded of all the reasons I despised this guy all of the years he was meddling in the team that I have loved since my boyhood. I can look at it this way: If Steinbrenner and his two flunkie sons start their same crap they have flung before, I can find other more meaningful things to do with my spare time than attend a game at their soon to be very vacant new ballpark. What a crock of you know what. It is a shame, though. I guess Dolan isn't the only $hit for brains owner(s) in this New York community.
George Castanza

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

The team hasn't been the same since I was fired.
HHsurfer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

As a Yankee fan from the Midwest (think FORMER home of Yankees farm team), I have faithfully followed this team my whole life. The way the Yankees upper management handled Joe's "firing" (that's what this really was) disgusts me. Joe Torre did not deserve to be treated like this. You have disrespected a legend--a coach for the ages. Shame on the Yankees upper management. It is laughable to think you will find a better coach. You'll get no more of my dollars if this is how you react with them.
joe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

so joe thought the incentives were going to put to much pressure on him and his players, now isn't that a crying shame
average joe

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

what goes around - comes around. randy
Walter

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Even being a Mets fan I thought Torre shouldhave been brought back. The truth is that I will enjoy watching part 2 of the Bronx Zoo. Let the turmoil begin. Couldn't happen to a better bunch
jcx3

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

I'd like to hear what Giuliani thinks of 'his boy' now ? After he has single handedly allowed an end to be put to an era.
Von Steinbrenner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

After consulting with my baseball people and much thought I have decided to bring Billy Martin back as the manager of the greatest team in the history of sports.
Dan F

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Interesting that since Levine came on board in 2000 as President, the Yankees have not won a World Series???????

Dump the loser.

From a fan of 37 years.
Mattingly Girardi

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

5 million an insult...geez, someone insult me!
Torre has turned into the spoiled brat athletes he's been coaching all these years. He thinks his sh*t don't stink. Georgie is paying for championships, plan and simple. Torre knows this, the players know this, all the fans now this. Anything less is a disappiontment. Georgie says, OK, he's been good, we'll give him few years. They do, still no championship. Now what, keep paying him like he won the championship? NO F'IN WAY. Give him 5 million a year (OMG, that is so horrible!!!) with incentives for every level of theplayoffs he makes. Sounds like G*DDAMN good deal to me!!
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Von Steinbrenner wrote:
After consulting with my baseball people and much thought I have decided to bring Billy Martin back as the manager of the greatest team in the history of sports.
I guess you will need a few shovels to get Billy out of his latest drunken stupor. Hell, why not exhume Casey Stengel? At least he would be more fun. He could come out of the dugout, look up in the direction of Steinbrenner (by now resembling Captain Pike in that old Star Trek episode) and then lift his hat and give Steinbrenner "The Bird" (a nice way of saying the "tall man" from those Barney DVD's my grandchildren watch).

Since: Sep 07

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Levine and crew are a bunch of classless skanks and horse's @rses. They won't see diddly for many years. Get ready for blood letting on an annual basis.

Too bad someone with some brains doesn't buy the Yankees.

I'm sorry to see Joe go.
Veritas

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

How come the only Yankee offered a pay decrease (which it was, despite the so-called "incentives") was Torre, when Levine claimed that this was merely a business decision?

Shouldn't the other Yankee executives, such as Cashman and Levine, also have taken pay cuts, for the same reason, since "everyone" was responsible, not just Torre?

Also, Torre took the Yankees to the playoffs EVERY YEAR during the 12 years that he managed them. That's a failure? I'm sure every other major league team would love to "fail" like that!

Since Levine came to the Yankees in 2000, what does he have to show for his tenure as team president? Maybe Levine should have been forced out, instead of Torre!
Veritas

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Dan F wrote:
Interesting that since Levine came on board in 2000 as President, the Yankees have not won a World Series???????
Dump the loser.
From a fan of 37 years.
Not to defend Levine, because he had nothing to do with it, but the Yankees beat the Mets in the Subway Series in 2000!
Catholic Coverup

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Stop with this Joe is class... Who cares. He is paid to win. The contract he signed previously recognized the success he had. With the teams assembled he should have done better than what he has produced. If little joey is indignant about $5 million then f him and bring the new winning manager who won't be so fragile about his ego

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

60 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 2 min jimi-yank 306,171
Branding Brooklyn: Bridging the gulp! Brooklyn ... 9 min Bobby Lies and Riggies 1
What's wrong with Tman, good ole Momma Chamberlin 36 min jimi-yank 87
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 42 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,452
Wall Street protesters plan march on DA's office (Oct '11) 54 min ODIGO 911 Early Warning 39
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 1 hr R Kramden 14,422
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr SpaceBlues 45,905
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 17 hr LI Football fan 10,242
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New York People Search