Travis the chimp shot dead after attacking woman

Full story: Newsday 12
A 200-pound domesticated chimpanzee who once starred in TV commercials for Old Navy and Coca-Cola was shot dead by police after a violent rampage that left a friend of its owner badly mauled. Full Story
andy

Forest Hills, NY

#1 Feb 17, 2009
this is a tragedy for all of us who loved Travis
Alan Q

New York, NY

#2 Feb 17, 2009
It takes a pretty sick person to want to keep a 200 lbs. ape as a pet.

What in the world was this person thinking?

It was a wild animal, born to live in a jungle...not some freaking suburb.

Then we find that they gave an animal - a chimpanzee?!- anti-depressants?

If this isn't the epitome of animal cruelty - kidnapping him from the wild and giving him drugs - then what is?

What, were they expecting this monkey to act like a roommate? Maybe start helping with the dishes and one day fascinating someone by speaking?!

Maybe they could be real control freaks and find him a little girlfriend?

What right did these people have to do such a thing?

It was only a matter of time before this poor, tortured beast lashed out at someone or something...and eventually dying by the hand of a man.

This sort of abomination must be made illegal.
Joey

West Babylon, NY

#3 Feb 17, 2009
andy wrote:
this is a tragedy for all of us who loved Travis
I am sure the person who was attacked feels the same way.
Flog

Bronx, NY

#4 Feb 17, 2009
Didn't they dress it up as a French maid and force it to do house cleaning ?
J Fred Muggs

North Adams, MA

#5 Feb 17, 2009
This is impossible!!! I saw Travis in Denver signing the stimulus package just hours ago!!!!
Justifiably Bellicose

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Feb 17, 2009
From the sound of it, I am guessing that the poor woman's face and hands were probably bitten off--like that guy a few years ago.

I have a deep loathing and comtempt for the MORONS who "owned" this chimpanzee. He was a prisoner. Why do I say that? Because from day one he never had any business living in a house, watching t.v., drinking WINE, wearing clothes... He was a wild animal and belonged in the wild, and it is only because of idiotic self-indulgent human behavior that he was ever living the way he was in the first place.

The despicable owners whose actions precipitated this occurrence should be left in a tiger cage, or a chimp cage, with meat stapled to their faces and genitals.

How are they going to help this mauled woman now? What can be done for her? The owners of the chimp should take a buckshot mouthwash.
statement

Dunnellon, FL

#7 Feb 17, 2009
For a minute I thought this was a story about Michelle O
Veracity

West New York, NJ

#8 Feb 17, 2009
This sounds like a suicide attack. Was this chimp in a mosque recently?
FRED

AOL

#10 Feb 17, 2009
Shlomo McGillicuddy wrote:
How is Barack and the 2 daughters doing after their mother was first stabbed brutally and then shot to death by the cops.
Why wasn't the Secret Service keeping her under control?
No, the Secret Service was with Jo....
Jo Momma !!
A Primate

Piscataway, NJ

#11 Feb 17, 2009
Maybe the chimp just wanted to be left alone. Did anyone think of that?
A Primate

Piscataway, NJ

#12 Feb 17, 2009
Justifiably Bellicose wrote:
From the sound of it, I am guessing that the poor woman's face and hands were probably bitten off--like that guy a few years ago.
I have a deep loathing and comtempt for the MORONS who "owned" this chimpanzee. He was a prisoner. Why do I say that? Because from day one he never had any business living in a house, watching t.v., drinking WINE, wearing clothes... He was a wild animal and belonged in the wild, and it is only because of idiotic self-indulgent human behavior that he was ever living the way he was in the first place.
The despicable owners whose actions precipitated this occurrence should be left in a tiger cage, or a chimp cage, with meat stapled to their faces and genitals.
How are they going to help this mauled woman now? What can be done for her? The owners of the chimp should take a buckshot mouthwash.
Agreed that "ownership" of a chimpanzee is stupid (not to mention weird). Also, giving a chimpanzee wine and letting him surf the web is at least bizarre... Nonetheless, the root cause is probably a familiar one to any parent: the chimp didn't want to do something that someone else wanted him to do, so he got upset and struck back.

The human is also a wild animal. Yes, we live by laws and rules, but we also love independence and we are stubborn, and we build a society among us, and we try to live in a habitat that we desire. Is there really such a thing as a tame animal - or a tame human, for that matter?(Shrugs)
George Carlin

New York, NY

#13 Feb 18, 2009
The owner of this chimp is going to have a hard time looking her friend in the face and shaking her hand when she gives her an apology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min OzRitz 49,192
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 42 min Maude 16,649
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 52 min NYStateOfMind 311,577
jets talk back (Dec '07) 57 min Duck Geese 9,976
Eric Garner Murdered by Cop 57 min Reality does exist 322
The Three R's: Reichwing Republican Rants (Sep '10) 1 hr mjjcpa 1,347
Another Republican Bites the Dust!! (Dec '11) 1 hr mjjcpa 386

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE