ASK THE AUTO DOCTOR: Mechanic should ...

ASK THE AUTO DOCTOR: Mechanic should have replaced the Toyota s...

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 17, 2008, titled ASK THE AUTO DOCTOR: Mechanic should have replaced the Toyota s.... In it, Newsday reports that:

Dear Doctor: I own a 2003 Toyota Camry and recently had the 60,000-mile service done.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A GM Employee

Rochester, MI

#1 Oct 19, 2008
From your article "I recently tried an aftermarket fresh air filter system, free flowing exhaust and reprogrammed the computer in my 2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT."

DO NOT reprogram GM vehicles using non-GM calibrations because it will void your new vehicle warranty. GM is seeing "hard part" failures in engines using non-GM calibrations.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#2 Oct 21, 2008
A GM Employee wrote:
From your article "I recently tried an aftermarket fresh air filter system, free flowing exhaust and reprogrammed the computer in my 2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT."
DO NOT reprogram GM vehicles using non-GM calibrations because it will void your new vehicle warranty. GM is seeing "hard part" failures in engines using non-GM calibrations.
Don't worry GM employee. Vehicle electronics are maturing to the point that lots of people know as much, if not more, about them as you guys do.
A GM Employee

Rochester, MI

#3 Oct 21, 2008
Liner, I am not worried for myself, I am worried for those GM customers that will find themselves with a major drivetrain problem that the customer will have to pay for on their own.

I would also be concerned with some of the states, who will probably start to get involved if the changes increase emissions.
Todd Kent

Omaha, NE

#4 Nov 14, 2008
Dear Doctor, I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado F150 4x4 truck. I cannot get it started. The battery is new, all of the connections to the battery and starter are good. I have replaced all of fuses. It won't even turnover or even jump start. There are no dashboard lights at all. What could it be?
liner

Hicksville, NY

#5 Nov 14, 2008
Todd Kent wrote:
Dear Doctor, I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado F150 4x4 truck. I cannot get it started. The battery is new, all of the connections to the battery and starter are good. I have replaced all of fuses. It won't even turnover or even jump start. There are no dashboard lights at all. What could it be?
Bad ignition switch or neutral-safety switch (if automatic). While someone holds the key to start, voltmeter the ignition terminal on the starter solenoid, juice=yes, bad starter/solenoid. Juice=no, see first sentence.
jerry k

Sarasota, FL

#6 Jan 27, 2009
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy that when you fill up with gas the low fuel light comes on and stays on until some of the fuel is spent. What is causing this
Mortimer

Traverse City, MI

#7 Apr 3, 2009
Doctor, I have a 2004 Volvo V70. The vehicle would not start today making one clicking sound and the SRS light only came on. No accident. Dealer indicated problem was the ignition switch indicating he would replace same, but that the new key for the new ignition would not open the other doors for the vehicle and suggested I carry both sets of keys. I indicated that I did not believe this was an appropriate fix. Car was a certified used vehicle and is still under warranty. Is the dealers proposal within "reason" or shouldn't the new key be programed to operate the ignition and the vehicle doors?
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#8 Apr 4, 2009
Mortimer wrote:
Doctor, I have a 2004 Volvo V70. The vehicle would not start today making one clicking sound and the SRS light only came on. No accident. Dealer indicated problem was the ignition switch indicating he would replace same, but that the new key for the new ignition would not open the other doors for the vehicle and suggested I carry both sets of keys. I indicated that I did not believe this was an appropriate fix. Car was a certified used vehicle and is still under warranty. Is the dealers proposal within "reason" or shouldn't the new key be programed to operate the ignition and the vehicle doors?
I believe you have to email this column to get a reply. This board is only for comments.
At any rate, my opinion is, does your car have an electronic key? If yes, he should be able to program the new key. If it's the old type key, with teeth etc, he might not be able to, unless the switch is separate from the key cylinder. Call another dealer and ask. Or maybe a good locksmith.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#9 Apr 4, 2009
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#10 Apr 5, 2009
Vance1 wrote:
get lost, go back to the toyota board, leave this to the adults. maroon

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#11 Apr 5, 2009
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
get lost, go back to the toyota board, leave this to the adults. maroon
I do so why are you here?

Since: Jul 09

Santa Rosa, CA

#12 Jul 7, 2009
Doctor,
My sister recently bought a used 2002 volvo S80 turbo, and today she calls saying it started jerking and feeling as if it was having some sort of fuel delivery problem or misfireing. I didnt have time to have her pull over before she pulled into my driveway. As she was turning I heard a squeeking sound as if the brakes were bad but smeeled her clutch burning. The smell was very noticeable and her trans fluid is bubbly and rather black. It is a automatic transmission. Could this be a parking brake failure or is it a clutch or torque converter? Do volvo automatic transmissions use a clutch? Thank You in advance, this is so amazingly usefull
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#13 Jul 7, 2009
upperbay wrote:
Doctor,
My sister recently bought a used 2002 volvo S80 turbo, and today she calls saying it started jerking and feeling as if it was having some sort of fuel delivery problem or misfireing. I didnt have time to have her pull over before she pulled into my driveway. As she was turning I heard a squeeking sound as if the brakes were bad but smeeled her clutch burning. The smell was very noticeable and her trans fluid is bubbly and rather black. It is a automatic transmission. Could this be a parking brake failure or is it a clutch or torque converter? Do volvo automatic transmissions use a clutch? Thank You in advance, this is so amazingly usefull
Damato doesn't answer this board, you have to write/email him. At any rate, if the auto trans fluid is black, chances are you got a major transmission problem. Get it to a shop.(FWIW, I've had good luck with Lee Myles on Vets in Bohemia, but as they say, your mileage may vary).
marlene

Hilo, HI

#15 May 16, 2010
hi i am from the island of kauai and would like to know if anyone can help me with my 1988 toyota 4runner, well i changed the hoses cleaned the hoses, up to date with servicing truck. would like to know what i can do with my 4runner because it's bogging out on me and when i reach third gear there is not much power and once in awhile it will backfire. can anyone help me out. thanks
Country Girl

Sanford, NC

#16 Jun 12, 2010
i have a 2006 dodge magnum. my car will crank but i can not pull the gear shift out of park, i've tried rocking the car but it will not move. there are no lights on the dash indicating a problem. there is no noise or smell indicating a problem. when i got off from work i got into my car it crunk up but when i put my foot on the brake to put the car in reverse the shift stick would not move out of par. my car is automatic. there was no problems this morning when i drove approx. 30 miles to work. can you please help?
liner

Bronx, NY

#17 Jun 13, 2010
Country Girl wrote:
i have a 2006 dodge magnum. my car will crank but i can not pull the gear shift out of park, i've tried rocking the car but it will not move. there are no lights on the dash indicating a problem. there is no noise or smell indicating a problem. when i got off from work i got into my car it crunk up but when i put my foot on the brake to put the car in reverse the shift stick would not move out of par. my car is automatic. there was no problems this morning when i drove approx. 30 miles to work. can you please help?
Hopefully by now you've gotten some help, but when you step on the brake pedal, it operates a relay (electrically) which allows the shift lever to move. Perhaps something is wrong with this relay or the circuit.
curt

Seattle, WA

#18 Oct 26, 2011
The steering wheel wobbles on my 1990 camry from 1mph to about 35mph. the front end does not wobble only the wheel does. the car drives straight and does not pull to either side. Above 35mph the wobbles goes away. tires are new and not damaged. could it be the control arm bushings or the knuckle. or what?
liner

Patchogue, NY

#19 Oct 26, 2011
curt wrote:
The steering wheel wobbles on my 1990 camry from 1mph to about 35mph. the front end does not wobble only the wheel does. the car drives straight and does not pull to either side. Above 35mph the wobbles goes away. tires are new and not damaged. could it be the control arm bushings or the knuckle. or what?
No doubt something in the front end needs work. Check the steering rack, too.

“That's Un-Possible!”

Since: Jan 08

Brookhaven Hamlet, Long Island

#20 Oct 26, 2011
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt something in the front end needs work. Check the steering rack, too.
Also check that you didn't throw a balance weight off either a front wheel or possibly one of the CV Axles.

“That's Un-Possible!”

Since: Jan 08

Brookhaven Hamlet, Long Island

#21 Oct 26, 2011
Country Girl wrote:
i have a 2006 dodge magnum. my car will crank but i can not pull the gear shift out of park, i've tried rocking the car but it will not move. there are no lights on the dash indicating a problem. there is no noise or smell indicating a problem. when i got off from work i got into my car it crunk up but when i put my foot on the brake to put the car in reverse the shift stick would not move out of par. my car is automatic. there was no problems this morning when i drove approx. 30 miles to work. can you please help?
Shift lock solonoid. Located somewhere in the center console near the shifter, activated by a switch off the brake pedal. Pretty common thing, actually...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Brian_G 58,771
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 14 min jimi-yank 4,960
News Cops: Man Followed, Sexually Assaulted, Robbed ... (May '14) 20 min indict AIPAC 5
Time to go? (Jun '15) 26 min ThomasA 10,286
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 32 min Forrest 14,670
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 33 min Forrest 13,690
jets talk back (Dec '07) 1 hr jimi-yank 11,730
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr BS detector 10,534
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 3 hr NYStateOfMind 327,288
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 3 hr jimi-yank 38,648
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages