LI couple says tainted dog food killed their bullmastiff

Full story: Newsday

A Merrick couple on Wednesday filed suit against the manufacturer of 95 brands of recalled pet food, saying that the food led to their dog's death this month.
Comments
1 - 20 of 154 Comments Last updated Apr 12, 2007
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Maggie

South Hackensack, NJ

#1 Mar 21, 2007
I agree. I hope all of the people who lost a beloved pet sues. This is an outrage!!! Animals are God's creatures and should be treated with loving care. As a woman who recently lost both of her cats, its a tramatic enough experience without adding human error to it. God Bless all of you! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
money

Edison, NJ

#4 Mar 21, 2007
I smell a large cash award
anyway

Denver, CO

#6 Mar 21, 2007
"In the suit, filed Wednesday afternoon in state Supreme Court in Mineola, Sandra and Frederick Bobb allege that Menu Foods and Nutro Products were negligent in allowing "tainted, toxic and contaminated pet food" to be sold."

I'm sure the company did not do this with the "intent" to kill animals. Mistakes happen. I love my dog also, but suing is not going to bring him back.
Seems like a bunch of greedy people and lawyers taking advantage of this opportunity.
gladsheleft

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Mar 21, 2007
I am really pissed. I should have sued the Nassau Police when they didn't get my dad to the hospital in time! I could have put my kids through college.
Second thought, I should have bought a dog.
debra

Smithtown, NY

#11 Mar 21, 2007
I hope they get MILLIONS!! And my condolences to them.
KirkHere

Bronx, NY

#13 Mar 21, 2007
Maggie wrote:
I agree. I hope all of the people who lost a beloved pet sues. This is an outrage!!! Animals are God's creatures and should be treated with loving care. As a woman who recently lost both of her cats, its a tramatic enough experience without adding human error to it. God Bless all of you! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
If they can prove the dog died from the tainted food they should be entitled to the damages to their property i.e. the dog. So whatever the dog costs to replace is the only reward they should be entitled too.

I don't want to hear anything about pain and suffering because to elevate a BullMastiff to the level of being a human being is simply BULLSH!T!

Another frivilous lawsuit by two money grubbing lowlifes and some attorney who needed a case.

You miss a pet whereas you grieve a fellow human being. Anyone who grieves the loss of an animal needs psychological counseling. Dogs are animals no more and no less.

Or are you going to tell me these people cry over the poor chicken they are eating for dinner tonight.

What a pile of (dog)crap this lawsuit is.

“smart@ss...that' s me!!!”

Since: Jan 07

Bohemia

#15 Mar 21, 2007
anyway wrote:
"In the suit, filed Wednesday afternoon in state Supreme Court in Mineola, Sandra and Frederick Bobb allege that Menu Foods and Nutro Products were negligent in allowing "tainted, toxic and contaminated pet food" to be sold."
I'm sure the company did not do this with the "intent" to kill animals. Mistakes happen. I love my dog also, but suing is not going to bring him back.
Seems like a bunch of greedy people and lawyers taking advantage of this opportunity.
Menu Foods knew the food was tainted Feb 20th 2007, they conducted their own test on 40 to 50 animals with the same food after they received the complaints. When 7 animals died, Menu Foods than finally contacted the FDA and told them there was a contamination with the food on March 16, 2007....that is almost a whole month later...so yes they were negligent, the contaminated food was still being sold that whole time they were conducting their test.
GONE

Suffolk, VA

#16 Mar 21, 2007
It truly is a shame that some animals have died because of a mistake or error on the manufacturers part. Here we go, a bunch of fools and shady shill trying to extort money from "deep pockets."
sickening.
Peter

Hamilton, Canada

#20 Mar 21, 2007
A law suit ..... Would you expect anything elses from a resident of Merrick !
Meryl

Roosevelt, NY

#21 Mar 21, 2007
DollarSign wrote:
Hopefully, they can recover by adopting another worthless fleabag at the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter in Wantagh.
Or they can take the dog's remains to the local Chinese takeout.
You sound like a pathetic human being.....there are many animals that I would rather have contact with than the likes of someone such as yourself. You are pitiful!!!!
Astro

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Mar 21, 2007
Rime rungry, Rorge.
Sandy

Chamberlain, SD

#23 Mar 21, 2007
what are the brands being recalled
GOP SAYS DONT SUE

Hawthorne, NJ

#25 Mar 21, 2007
So what else is new with that backward party!

I got a better idea, since the GOP is so gung ho on the death penalty how about charging the dog food co's with murder instead???
Ivette- Fresno CA

Keller, TX

#27 Mar 21, 2007
When I was told about the recall..Yes, I flipped out. Noone will understand the bond you have with your dog but yourself...I would go to then ends of the earth for my dog.
If lawsuits will hurt Menu Foods, then so be it. Maybe now they reliaze how much money will actually spend on our dogs and how they get rich off of us....
And, as for the comment Jim Morrison left,
Jim, go to hell you bitter SOB..
Marukah

United States

#28 Mar 21, 2007
My dog was vomiting for TWO DAYS! This was before I knew what was going on and after I fed him Nutro Natural Choico Meat and Gravy canned food. I cannot reach anyone with the numbers given (what a surprise!) and my veterinarian who is giving my dog bloodwork to ensure he is well is asking if the company will cover the costs! We should be able to comfortably feed our four-legged family members without worry about such things like kidney failure. I do not sleep nights as when I hear my dog even move slightly wake up to ensure he is well. This is not a good thing and I am truly upset here!
shoot me in the face

Washington, DC

#29 Mar 21, 2007
anyway wrote:
I agree that law suits are terrible ans out of hand, but the company needs to be held accountable for their mistake. They are making millions and Millions of dollars claiming to give your pet this food over the next because it is better and it killed the animals. They should have some saftey nets to prevent this from happening. I'm not sue happy, but they should get reimburse hospital stays and care for the animal as well of the cost of the animal, and lawyer fees. About 50k should cover it. They will sue for millions but that does not mean they will get it.
Gcd

Long Beach, NY

#30 Mar 21, 2007
Congratulations Merrick couple! You just stumbled upon an easy way to win the lottery while all us other fools play a dollar a day & a dream.
sick of the crap

Cortez, CO

#31 Mar 21, 2007
KirkHere wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to hear anything about pain and suffering because to elevate a BullMastiff to the level of being a human being is simply BULLSH!T!
Another frivilous lawsuit by two money grubbing lowlifes and some attorney who needed a case.
You miss a pet whereas you grieve a fellow human being. Anyone who grieves the loss of an animal needs psychological counseling. Dogs are animals no more and no less.
Or are you going to tell me these people cry over the poor chicken they are eating for dinner tonight.
What a pile of (dog)crap this lawsuit is.
I recently lost a dog to cancer. Let me assure you, the process is a grieving process. To prove that point, allow me to mention that I work in a very staid and conservative law firm. My employers and my co-workers gave me the same consideration and sympathy afforded to anyone who lost a member of their family, which included a day off and a sympathy card signed by everyone in the office. In addition, I received condolence cards from the animal hospital, my dog's groomer and the humane society which received a donation from a friend of mine in my dog's memory. So, am I to assume that we are all in need of psychological counseling? Unlike the chicken we eat at dinner, you have a living, breathing being with you for any number of years and you have shared many good times and bad with that creature, it becomes not only a member of your family, but a trusted friend, protector and confidant. One who never betrays that trust and who loves unconditionally, unlike some people who I would not shed a tear over. Not only are they missed when they pass on, but the process we go through after losing them is one of grief, with all its stages. While I'm not sure I would move to legal action, even though I am a member of the legal profession, I certainly feel it is unfair to minimize the effect the death of a beloved pet has on anyone.
Gcd

Long Beach, NY

#32 Mar 21, 2007
I am really so sick of everyone suing for every thing that goes wrong. It just doesnt make any sense to me anymore. It used to be that you sued for money to pay the doctor bills, loss of work etc etc. Now its just for the simple fact of greed. No amount of money will bring the dog back & all they should get is money to buy another dog but NO these greed monsters will probably sue for millions like that makes sense. Greed is UGLY
Liz

Milford, CT

#33 Mar 21, 2007
KirkHere wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is saying that the dog should be elevated to the status of a human. But - the company was aware they were selling tainted food for over a month before the recall. There should be severe penalties for that type of recklessness.

Perhaps a class action law suit to pay for individual vet bills - and pain and suffering damages to be paid to various animal shelters?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Jun '10) 7 min honeymylove 25,362
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min Brian_G 46,310
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 21 min NYStateOfMind 307,425
USA and ISIS in Iraq 32 min -Sprocket- 40
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 39 min -Sprocket- 9,393
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 41 min -Sprocket- 9,883
Pelosi sues Suffolk DA for $150M (Jan '08) 53 min Jane 55
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 1 hr suff III 10,342
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••