Ed Koch was a corrupt mayor?

Ed Koch was a corrupt mayor?

Posted in the New York Forum

drinkindunkin

Arverne, NY

#1 Feb 1, 2013
I found this on wikipedia (I know wikipedia is garbage but when I search for anything it always pops up):

In his third term, Koch's popularity was shaken after a series of corruption scandals, touched off by the Donald Manes suicide and the PVB scandal, which revealed that he had acceded to the requests of corrupt political allies, most notably Queens Borough President Manes, Bronx Democratic party official Stanley Friedman, and Brooklyn Democratic boss Meade Esposito, to stack city agencies with patronage appointments. These patronage appointments, such as Department of Transportation Commissioner Tony Ameruso and Parking Violations Bureau official Geoffrey Lindenauer, had subsequently engaged in many varieties of graft, extortion and bribery. Another high-profile Koch official and ally, Cultural Affairs commissioner Bess Myerson, was accused and eventually indicted for improperly conspiring with a judge in order to fix a divorce case in favor of Myerson's mob-linked lover. Though there were no allegations that Koch obtained any financial benefit from the corruption, the wave of scandals undermined Koch's prior claims that he would run a patronage-free city government.[14]
truthwilloutlive

Arverne, NY

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Why are people saying he was a symbol of NY? He looked pretty shady to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 8 min jimi-yank 7,680
jets talk back (Dec '07) 13 min Guinness Drinker 16,019
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 29 min Susanm 337,211
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr So_da_lish_us 19,654
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 2 hr So_da_lish_us 18,501
REPUBLICANS re: TRUMP - Well Shut My Mouf ! 2 hr KANYE WEST goes S... 2
TRUMP - Michael is in Business - B-B-Business -... 2 hr Mickey Cohens Bus... 1
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 4 hr jimi-yank 47,224

New York Jobs

Personal Finance