Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday 306,259
Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#302717 Jun 30, 2013
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong on a consitent basis, Foo. Have your doctor check for a brain stone.
***pat pat*** You keep telling yourself that son! LOLOLOL!!!

Location hidden

#302718 Jun 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
That's why I rarely watch movies in theaters anymore; too loud, too expensive, and too many morons on cellphones. The last movie I saw in a theater was "Sweeney Todd."
I'm totally with the control voice from Outer Limits: There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear....
<quoted text>
Bravo!

Location hidden

#302719 Jun 30, 2013
persnickety wrote:
<quoted text>You are right NR, its not a civil right.
Yet the courts so far, disagree with your kind. Oh well, just another TOUGH SHIT moment for you and your kind. <<grin>>

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#302720 Jun 30, 2013
Actually, if gay couple marries in a state that allows it and they move to one that doesn't, that marriage is STILL recognized by the feds.
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey FooFoo: "It simply gave gays and lesbians who marry the same federal rights as everyone else"
In the few states where #SSM is legal.
Deathscort Foo: "Your kind dont get to vote on the civil rights of others."
SCOTUS did NOT declare marraige a civil right. That's why #SSM is not legal in 37 states. That's also why DOMA's continues to allow states to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed under the laws of other states.

Location hidden

#302721 Jun 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Actually, if gay couple marries in a state that allows it and they move to one that doesn't, that marriage is STILL recognized by the feds.
<quoted text>
Exactly, which is what I said - something No Relevance keeps trying to ignore.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#302722 Jun 30, 2013
"Just because we don't have any legal standing to file to protect prop 8, doesn't mean we can't sue to prevent them from starting SSM in..."
(Sees story)
"Well, hell's bells..."
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
Hey No Relevance - another TOUGH SHIT moment for your kind - BREAKING NEWS:
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/06/30/2237...
"Once again, opponents of marriage equality have failed to prevent the freedom to marry in California."
Justice Kennedy Denies Emergency Challenge To Marriage Equality In California
Your kind are idiots. LOL!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#302723 Jun 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Are all "temptations" the wiles of Satan?
Are some of those not our own wish for something else--after all, we're "only human." :)
That said, with regards to your "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord," does Satan possess Free Will? If he does, and God is omniscient, doesn't God already "know" what temptations Satan will display?
More interestingly, if Satan were possessed of Free Will, suppose he were to repent.
Would God forgive him?
There's an interesting "sufi" take I believe, on the whole God/Satan theme that Joseph Campbell covers in his "The Power of Myth" series wherein Lucifer is cast out not because of Pride, but because when God unveils his "greatest" creation, Man, Lucifer refuses to bow down before Man. The reason for this is because Lucifer so loved God, that he could not bring himself to bow down before any other than God. For his refusal to do so, he was cast out and it's because of this "unrequited love" that Satan rages against God so.
As for the book of Job, it's my favorite book of the Bible, and it's also the one where I can't see God as anything other than a sadist.
God sets forth the parameters, God allows Satan to throw practically everything against Job, destroying all that Job has and all that he loves in the process and, all the while, with his omniscience, knowing full-well that Job will never "curse him to his face."
IMO, this book makes God look worse than Satan--who's only allowed to tempt, deceive, destroy, with God's permission...
I cannot explain all the we workings of God or why..

However..think of it this way..We believe this is the inspired story of God.

It has NOT been sugar coated...as would be the case if it was only made up to show a good light by our.perception.

And while Sat. An has free will and sinned grievously..And hates the human race...wants as many to falter as possible...And God lets him tempt..etc..He has boundaries he cannot cross..which though he would l I kept to think He should be God he is NOT.

AND I know t o a non believer this makes no sense.

But I really woukd go elsewhere fir books even fictional about how Jesus was...than the one you mentioned.

A super series ..lots of the mysteries of God ..Satan and Christ.

The Chronicles of the brothers...They bring Michael. GABRIRL AND LUCIFER...by Wendy Alec

First book is on kindle also

The fall of Lucifer

I think they a 're making a movie too. It should be great

another similar series..the Reluctant Demon..Linda,Rios Brook..though the last one was nit exactly an end I by

I'd go eith the First Series..in order.

Location hidden

#302725 Jun 30, 2013
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody know what this dumb bitch is babbling about this time?
Which one teddy was a mess and a half imo.

.I liked John ..great president. Strong ..took no garbage from Kruschev. AND lowered taxes.

His personal life a mess. But we would have had a different country.

Every time there was someone who coukd make change in a common sense way..He got dead ..wonder what a t th a t means

Location hidden

#302726 Jun 30, 2013
persnickety wrote:
<quoted text> I am saying United States can't trump God's law. You will find out soon enough, when you come face to face with Christ..
I wont be coming face to face with your christ anytime soon Knutter, and if I did, I'd slap him silly for allowing idiots like you to ruin his gig.

Do you REALLY need the "jesus is meaningless to those of the Jewish faith" lecutre yet AGAIN?

“That rug tied the room”

Since: Aug 09

together--did it not...?

#302727 Jun 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
That's why I rarely watch movies in theaters anymore; too loud, too expensive, and too many morons on cellphones. The last movie I saw in a theater was "Sweeney Todd."
I'm totally with the control voice from Outer Limits: There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear....
<quoted text>
Hah-hah!

Good call!
Was never a big fan of "The Outer Limits," was more of a "Twilight Zone" sorta guy, and even had to have that in small doses. My favorite episodes were starring--guess who?--none other than Captain Kirk himself. Yes, "Nightmare at 20,000 feet," and the one where he and his girlfriend are "trapped" in a diner by a table-top fortune-telling box, are among my favorites.
Agree completely though...movies are shown at an ear-splitting level nowadays.
I was skeptical when I'd heard of Tim Burton's attempt to bring "Sweeny Todd" to the big screen; my father was an opera fanatic in the Eighties, and took me to see one performance at the NYC Opera House. I've never forgotten that experience, and thought it unlikely that Burton and crew would be able to do it justice.
Imagine my surprise when they happened to "exceed" my expectations...

“That rug tied the room”

together--did it not...?

#302728 Jun 30, 2013
Madam Kindle wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot explain all the we workings of God or why..
However..think of it this way..We believe this is the inspired story of God.
It has NOT been sugar coated...as would be the case if it was only made up to show a good light by our.perception.
And while Sat. An has free will and sinned grievously..And hates the human race...wants as many to falter as possible...And God lets him tempt..etc..He has boundaries he cannot cross..which though he would l I kept to think He should be God he is NOT.
AND I know t o a non believer this makes no sense.
But I really woukd go elsewhere fir books even fictional about how Jesus was...than the one you mentioned.
A super series ..lots of the mysteries of God ..Satan and Christ.
The Chronicles of the brothers...They bring Michael. GABRIRL AND LUCIFER...by Wendy Alec
First book is on kindle also
The fall of Lucifer
I think they a 're making a movie too. It should be great
another similar series..the Reluctant Demon..Linda,Rios Brook..though the last one was nit exactly an end I by
I'd go eith the First Series..in order.
Well, all I can say is that you must follow your heart and go where it compels you to go.
I do think you're depriving yourself of a rather extraordinary experience in choosing not to read the book, or see the film I've recommended but you've the freedom to choose one way or the other as you will.

Best,
John.

Location hidden

#302729 Jun 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Hah-hah!
Good call!
Was never a big fan of "The Outer Limits," was more of a "Twilight Zone" sorta guy, and even had to have that in small doses. My favorite episodes were starring--guess who?--none other than Captain Kirk himself. Yes, "Nightmare at 20,000 feet," and the one where he and his girlfriend are "trapped" in a diner by a table-top fortune-telling box, are among my favorites.
Agree completely though...movies are shown at an ear-splitting level nowadays.
I was skeptical when I'd heard of Tim Burton's attempt to bring "Sweeny Todd" to the big screen; my father was an opera fanatic in the Eighties, and took me to see one performance at the NYC Opera House. I've never forgotten that experience, and thought it unlikely that Burton and crew would be able to do it justice.
Imagine my surprise when they happened to "exceed" my expectations...
This one is my fave Twilight Zone, and I"m sure it'll come as a GREAT shock!

followed by this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Gtown71

United States

#302730 Jun 30, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Have fun with that. In order for me to believe something, it has to at least make sense to me. Otherwise, no thanks.
<quoted text>Erm, well, thanks, all the best to you too...still not interested in adopting your belief system though.
<quoted text>She's around. Just not on this thread very often. I think she has better things to do with her time these days.
Wish I could say the same.
Well like I've said many times, anything one person can talk you into, another can talk you out of. If the sweet Holy spirit / ghost convicts you, and you "yeild" to Him, then your view on all things will forever change.

As a young person, or even older most don't understand many things yet trust "put faith in " those things working. You turn the key in your car, and may or may not understand much, other then you expect it to run. It still amazes me, how pistons go up and down building compression, with rings sliding up and down in sleaves of metap hundreds of tikes a minute, if not thousands,and will do so for hundreds of thousands of miles. I don't fully comprehend it all, but know it works. How do a turn on a box in my home, but can not only see, but hear others hundreds of miles away? Perhaps not the greatest examples, but all I do know, is for years The whole God thing was stupid /crazy to me, yet after having a short encounter with Him, there is now no question what I believe :)

Location hidden

#302731 Jun 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol Madame does not like theaters at all..have gotten too gauche.

If I cannot ok a y it on my TV forget it.

As,for Star Trek..I love the characters,but like all these rehashed of older series I think they are made for hearing impaired teens with video game eyes..

Give me a plot anytime ..
Gtown71

United States

#302732 Jun 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Are all "temptations" the wiles of Satan?
Are some of those not our own wish for something else--after all, we're "only human." :)
That said, with regards to your "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord," does Satan possess Free Will? If he does, and God is omniscient, doesn't God already "know" what temptations Satan will display?
More interestingly, if Satan were possessed of Free Will, suppose he were to repent.
Would God forgive him?
There's an interesting "sufi" take I believe, on the whole God/Satan theme that Joseph Campbell covers in his "The Power of Myth" series wherein Lucifer is cast out not because of Pride, but because when God unveils his "greatest" creation, Man, Lucifer refuses to bow down before Man. The reason for this is because Lucifer so loved God, that he could not bring himself to bow down before any other than God. For his refusal to do so, he was cast out and it's because of this "unrequited love" that Satan rages against God so.
As for the book of Job, it's my favorite book of the Bible, and it's also the one where I can't see God as anything other than a sadist.
God sets forth the parameters, God allows Satan to throw practically everything against Job, destroying all that Job has and all that he loves in the process and, all the while, with his omniscience, knowing full-well that Job will never "curse him to his face."
IMO, this book makes God look worse than Satan--who's only allowed to tempt, deceive, destroy, with God's permission...
Truth is satan doesn't tempt christians very much at all. Most of our temptations come, when we are drawn away by our "own" lust.

I used to wonder the same thing about satan repenting and being saved, but not anymore. The bible says we will see satan one day, and think wow!?!! This little dweeb of a creature caused sooo much heartache on earth??!?!?!?

He fell when he wasn't satisfied being Gods number one angel, and said "in his heart " that he would be even greater than God.

I've learned with God, it is all about the heart.
A person can say anything, join every church there is, be baptized so many times the tad poles know their first name, yet die lost without God :(
Gtown71

United States

#302733 Jun 30, 2013
persnickety wrote:
<quoted text> I am saying United States can't trump God's law. You will find out soon enough, when you come face to face with Christ..
Well, no doubt, just becouse something is legal, it doesn't make it a good thing. Our laws are getting more and more lax.

Adultery used to be illegal, and still is in many places, but I don't think it is enforced much any more.

Location hidden

#302734 Jun 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to feel as though I'm asking you to question your faith.
I'm not. Nor was the book or film I've recommended.
If anything, the book and film ought to be an affirmation of your faith.
If Jesus was fully human, then it's impossible for him to have not sinned--or at least been guilty of "sinful thoughts."
To have a perfect "sacrifice" would mean that he wasn't really human--he was "removed" from humanity by his Divinity and, therefore, not the "required" sacrifice.
To be fully conscious of all that he would not have, of all that he would never experience, to lament that and STILL mount the cross because the redemption of humanity was so much more important is precisely WHY his sacrifice was as important as it was.
This is what Kazantzakis and Scorsese were trying to highlight in their respective tellings of this tale.
No, Jesus does not have a "fling" with Mary Magdalene, during his weakest moments on the cross, Satan shows him the life he could have had, wherein he marries Magdalen, then loses her, marries Mary "and" Martha(the sisters of Lazarus,)--why this part doesn't get more scrutiny I'll never know--has children, grows old, then on his deathbed, is berated by his aged apostles for having "wandered from the Path..."
The book, and film, state at the outset that they're nothing more than speculation--fiction.
However, as I've said before, they're both worth reading, and watching...
No no John I don't think you are trying to get me to question myvfaith

Ok will get a sample on kindle if I can...I heard the MaryvM part and it turned me off

Any way yes HE was the only human. Being divine as well who c would ever be perfect...the perfect lamb as it were.

The whole point of My faiths beliefs is that there is nothing...No penance ..(catholics are mire on the penance thing)

do works ..That can earn us heaven..only the pure blood of our Saviour ..I'm sure Satan taunted Him.on the Cross. But He did not Sin....

And from at least the time He was twelve He knew,He was To divIde Fathers,business.

But I will look at that book if I can.

Anyone who likes kind of real world ..not real-world fiction would like the Chronicles Series and the Reluctant Demon ..series.

Have a lot of other books I can recommend ..But we'll a lot of men. Like theses kind better ...

Location hidden

#302735 Jun 30, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is satan doesn't tempt christians very much at all. Most of our temptations come, when we are drawn away by our "own" lust.
I used to wonder the same thing about satan repenting and being saved, but not anymore. The bible says we will see satan one day, and think wow!?!! This little dweeb of a creature caused sooo much heartache on earth??!?!?!?
He fell when he wasn't satisfied being Gods number one angel, and said "in his heart " that he would be even greater than God.
I've learned with God, it is all about the heart.
A person can say anything, join every church there is, be baptized so many times the tad poles know their first name, yet die lost without God :(
I disagree G ..Satan dies tempt and try to destroy contentment of Christians .

He does NoT want want anyone happy. Just sayin..But yes we have our own lusts ..

Location hidden

#302736 Jun 30, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, all I can say is that you must follow your heart and go where it compels you to go.
I do think you're depriving yourself of a rather extraordinary experience in choosing not to read the book, or see the film I've recommended but you've the freedom to choose one way or the other as you will.
Best,
John.
Ok ok lol..since you are such a gracious gentleman..Madame will try it.

As,I say I didnit hear good things at the time.

I did like Superstar and Godspell!!

“That rug tied the room”

together--did it not...?

#302737 Jun 30, 2013
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
This one is my fave Twilight Zone, and I"m sure it'll come as a GREAT shock!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =C8lF4TS-BgQXX
followed by this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Hah-hah! Thanks for the memories luv!
What's great about the first episode is seeing old actors you've come to love and embrace. Like Rocky Balboa's trainer, or Marion Crane's boss, then following that with Jack Klugman!
Milady, you just may be reminding me of exactly how "old" I'm getting...
;P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Walking Dead" Starts Feb 9th (Jan '14) 36 min jimi-yank 163
Guess who controls counting the votes? 46 min New York City 1
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 1 hr the real deal 11,044
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr Unbiased Chargers... 309,326
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 2 hr nac 15,600
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr grave digger 47,495
Colleges scamming these kids 4 hr actorvet 1

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match

New York Jobs

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New York News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New York

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]