Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311484 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#286824 Feb 25, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I needed someone who speaks Jackass to be able to translate his remarks.
Just some one who can read english.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#286825 Feb 25, 2013
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the difference between Communion and transubstantiation.
Transubstantiation is anti-Bible. I'd go as far as saying it's anti-Christ.
No matter what I show you, you're not going to look at it objectively. I've been down this road with a few others, over the years.
Well I'm glad to hear that us Catholics all agree.
feces for jesus

Bellmore, NY

#286826 Feb 25, 2013
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
10% of Planned Parenthood clients receive abortion. As I've already mentioned, PP "BUNDLES" services intentionally to skew the numbers.
Liberal NPR ate crow over this issue:
"Conan: Finally, several of you wrote during yesterday’s show about PP, about the conflict over what percentage of the agency’s clients receive abortions. We’ve asked NPR’s healh policy correspondent Julie Rovner to join us again. Julie, always nice to have with you us.… And we heard two figures from opposing sides yesterday, 3% and 10%, who’s right?
Rovner: Well, the conflict is really that PP keeps its statistics according to the percent of those services that are provided, not according to how many people get what. So it turns out that there are – that indeed, abortions are 3% of the services provided, although – and that was what, I think, Sarah Stoesz from PP kind of MISSPOKE when she said it was 3% of patients who come in get abortions.
It is actually a little bit closer to the 10% that Marjorie Dannenfesler suggested, because there are about 3 million patients who come in. There are about 300,000 abortions provided."
http://www.jillstanek.com/2011/03/npr-fact-ch...
OMG, patients get multiple services from a health provider!

The numbers are quite simple, in 2011, 3% of the services were for abortions. No one is in dispute about that, right?

Now you can go back to calling them abortion mills, you wacko-loons.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#286827 Feb 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I knew where you were going with that, hence my refutation. I've never had an OB/GYN who did mammos at their office, just the first line of defense, breast exams. I've always been referred out to a hospital, or imaging center for a mammo.
I know a few women who knew or thought they were pregnant and were referred to PP. They said PP gives them a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy, even if she's already done that. All the women I know decided to carry to term. They are low-income folks. PP gave them the documentation which confirmed pregnancy, and gave them a list of pre-natal providers and referred them to Social Services for MediCal.

That was the extent of their dealings with PP.

Oh, and I guess the PP counselor asked them a few questions, including "do you feel safe with the father?".

I don't see any harm in their services.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#286828 Feb 25, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I'm glad to hear that us Catholics all agree.
Not all. Just the ones I've posted with on topix.
SapphireBlue

Orlando, FL

#286829 Feb 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
These absolute idiots. Here's a newsflash for you Morons (No Relevance, Witless, StupidBlue) your assumption that 100% of all women who walk into a PP clinic are PREGNANT just makes you look like asses. Almost half of PP clinics don't even PERFORM abortions.
Don't believe I ever said that or implied that. Your imagination is running away with you.
SapphireBlue

Orlando, FL

#286830 Feb 25, 2013
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they refer women to where they can get a mammogram for free or low cost.
PP also offers men's health services --
checkups when you have a reproductive/sexual health problem
jock itch — exam and treatment
male infertility — screening and referrals
urinary tract infections — testing and treatment
Some even offer vasectomy.
Health Departments provide the same services.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#286831 Feb 25, 2013
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a few women who knew or thought they were pregnant and were referred to PP. They said PP gives them a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy, even if she's already done that. All the women I know decided to carry to term. They are low-income folks. PP gave them the documentation which confirmed pregnancy, and gave them a list of pre-natal providers and referred them to Social Services for MediCal.
That was the extent of their dealings with PP.
Oh, and I guess the PP counselor asked them a few questions, including "do you feel safe with the father?".
I don't see any harm in their services.
Neither do I.

These people don't know how percentages work. OR "bundling" for that matter.

It's sad.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#286832 Feb 25, 2013
SapphireBlue wrote:
<quoted text>
So?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#286833 Feb 25, 2013
SapphireBlue wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe I ever said that or implied that. Your imagination is running away with you.
Your problem understanding percentages indicated it.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#286834 Feb 25, 2013
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, patients get multiple services from a health provider!
The numbers are quite simple, in 2011, 3% of the services were for abortions. No one is in dispute about that, right?
Now you can go back to calling them abortion mills, you wacko-loons.
The implication is that for every 100 women who walk into PP, only three receive abortions. Which means that 210 million women would have to walk through the doors to account for the 3 hundred thousand abortions performed. Breast exams might be construed as mammograms because you can do breast exams yourself.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#286835 Feb 25, 2013
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all. Just the ones I've posted with on topix.
Really, I am truly surprised. Do they question the other sacraments too.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#286836 Feb 25, 2013
SapphireBlue wrote:
<quoted text>
The point sailed (whoosh!) right over your head.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#286837 Feb 25, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, I am truly surprised. Do they question the other sacraments too.
Many abosilutely do not believe in the infallibility of the Pope. Actually, I haven't met a Catholic in real life that does. Just those here on topix.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#286838 Feb 25, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The implication is that for every 100 women who walk into PP, only three receive abortions. Which means that 210 million women would have to walk through the doors to account for the 3 hundred thousand abortions performed. Breast exams might be construed as mammograms because you can do breast exams yourself.
That is not the implication. They are not counting patients, they are counting services rendered. They are not pretending each service corresponds to one person walking in the door.

When you go to the doctor, and they perform an exam, do a Strep test, give you a shot, have they only provided ONE service for you, when they have to code each and every thing they do for their accounting? No, you've had ONE doctor's visit with multiple services rendered.

When you go to the grocery store and purchase chicken, a roast beef, an onion, a cucumber, milk, and a loaf of bread, have you bought ONE item? Or have you made ONE trip to the store, and purchased SIX items?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#286839 Feb 25, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody said anything about falsifying.
Actually, you're idiot buddy Sapphire did. You should really READ the posts before you lie about them.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#286840 Feb 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither do I.
These people don't know how percentages work. OR "bundling" for that matter.
It's sad.
It doesn't fit into their box. As long as they believe PP's sole purpose is to provide abortions, they can believe it's an evil organization.

They don't want to hear PP provides men's health services --(oops! that's not abortion!)

Or referrs low income women to services they need so they can have a healthy pregnancy (oops! that's not abortion)

Or like you were saying, health exams for woman and STD screening (oops! that's not abortion)

The local PP in my city has services for the LGBT community (ooops! that's not abortion)
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#286841 Feb 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not the implication. They are not counting patients, they are counting services rendered. They are not pretending each service corresponds to one person walking in the door.
When you go to the doctor, and they perform an exam, do a Strep test, give you a shot, have they only provided ONE service for you, when they have to code each and every thing they do for their accounting? No, you've had ONE doctor's visit with multiple services rendered.
When you go to the grocery store and purchase chicken, a roast beef, an onion, a cucumber, milk, and a loaf of bread, have you bought ONE item? Or have you made ONE trip to the store, and purchased SIX items?
You are being redundent. Stash it somewhere. The implication is different from the reality. I think someone said that 98% of pregnant women who walk into PP have an abortion. You wouldn't think that if you were thinking 3%. People don't automatically think of these minor interactions as services until it is explained as to how they count.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#286842 Feb 25, 2013
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
Many abosilutely do not believe in the infallibility of the Pope. Actually, I haven't met a Catholic in real life that does. Just those here on topix.
I thought we were talking about the Euchrist and that you know Catholics who don't believe that it is the body and blood of Christ.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#286843 Feb 25, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought we were talking about the Euchrist and that you know Catholics who don't believe that it is the body and blood of Christ.
Yes. And I added another Catholic teaching that not all Catholics sign on to -- infallibilty of the Pope.

Funny that not even Peter, "the first Pope" would have qualified to be Pope according to the criteria.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton vs Trump: battle of the New Yorkers 3 min Donald Trump is a... 40
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 40 min Princess Hey 14,927
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 42 min Guinness Drinker 11,269
Munich shooter was raised Muslim 1 hr Disco balls 1
last post wins! (Jun '10) 1 hr Princess Hey 26,532
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr SweLL GirL 15,781
Why do FOX News woman dress like hookers (Jul '15) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 103
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 2 hr Ronald McDonald 22
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 3 hr Paul Yanks 330,576

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages