Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311871 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#263182 Oct 10, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like he has the support of all Republicans and they are going to make him president.
He probably seems like an elitist boor to you because he talks right over your head. I don't see an insensitive or out of touch man.
I think he's a moderate and if he gets elected, I hope he comes out of the closet.
Katie

Graham, WA

#263183 Oct 10, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>This thread has gotten out of hand. How can we exchange thoughts and opinions when we have to pick every word and phrase we write with such ridiculous caution? There needs to be some trust between debaters. I refuse to fight an endless,irrelevant battle of words. I think some people on here -- they know who they are --should just admit that they are bickering simply because they love to hate each other.
I hate the bickering, Elise. I think many of us have more in common than not, but like you say, there's a lack of trust. Rightly so, imo. Most attempts I make at offering the olive branch backfire, which feeds the resentment, which feeds the bickering. Do you have any ideas?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#263184 Oct 10, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
She was apparently conscious before she slipped into a coma, and she made the decision known before she went into a coma.
"Placental abruption occurs in the third trimester and if severe the baby is delivered. What is the need for an abortion?"
Good question.
Foo claims the baby was non-viable, which indicates before 24 weeks. But 3rd tri-mester is 24 weeks on.
It doesn't just occur in the third trimester and the baby may have already died due to lack of oxygen therefore non-viable.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#263185 Oct 10, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Not around here, in Catholic country. Very distinct difference. Funeral=remains of deceased. Memorial service=no remains. That's how we see it 'round this neck o' the woods. Yeehaw!
Same here.
Ink

Feasterville Trevose, PA

#263186 Oct 10, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>It only matters when talking about abortion, and that has been defined hasn't it? In what other scenario would one need to be so exact? IOW, who cares?
Been defined by who?

Location hidden

#263187 Oct 10, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Do what I do. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Persons interested in truly debating don't nitpick words and declare "voila", you used the word maybe instead of probable.
Posters that are truly interested in exchanging ideas won't ask if you are gay. They won't call you unflattering names. They won't question career paths, marital status, number of children, etc. Certainly they will not run around the topix world gathering as much ammo as possible in order to try and belittle. jmo
Yes, you are right. I made the mistake of getting mixed up in that. No more.. I repent!
Ink

Feasterville Trevose, PA

#263188 Oct 10, 2012
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just imagining some poor 9 year old pregnant with twins makes me sick to my stomach.
Is that worse than being raped repeatedly since the age of six?

Location hidden

#263189 Oct 10, 2012
corgilicious wrote:
<quoted text>Foo is wrong, there is a memorial MASS not service. She is making this up as she goes, she is stepping deeper and deeper in dew dew.
She's not a Catholic, so to her and me and other non-Catholics, the two seem to be the same. Lily thinks of a funeral and a memorial service as the same thing. We all have different perspectives, which is a good thing. Vive la difference :-)
Ink

Feasterville Trevose, PA

#263190 Oct 10, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I think he's a moderate and if he gets elected, I hope he comes out of the closet.
What, in your mind is a moderate?

Location hidden

#263191 Oct 10, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate the bickering, Elise. I think many of us have more in common than not, but like you say, there's a lack of trust. Rightly so, imo. Most attempts I make at offering the olive branch backfire, which feeds the resentment, which feeds the bickering. Do you have any ideas?
No. I started a new thread but I think people got bored of being nice, lol! That tells us something, doesn't it?
Ink

Feasterville Trevose, PA

#263192 Oct 10, 2012
corgilicious wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong Ink, where do you get your info from? Look it up in the Catechism. You and others really need to read the catechism.
I looked it up and this is what it says.

What about abortion to save the mother's life?

To abort a fetus in order to save its mother would deem one life more valuable than another. It would deny one human being his or her right to life in favor of that of another. However, the mother's life is still just as precious as the baby's, and we must attempt to save her in such situations. It is morally permissible for a doctor to perform a surgery or procedure to save the mother's life that may accidentally and tragically result in the death of the unborn child. It is purposely aborting the fetus to save the mother that is not acceptable.

The mother of course can receive surgeries and treatments that could or will cause the death of the fetus to save her life. It is almost never neccessary.

Location hidden

#263193 Oct 10, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that worse than being raped repeatedly since the age of six?
It's a continuation of the abuse.

“Pro-Life”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#263194 Oct 10, 2012
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't just occur in the third trimester and the baby may have already died due to lack of oxygen therefore non-viable.
Are you reading anyone else's posts besides mine? Holy cow you're uninformed as to what anyone else is posting here. You don't know what Foo posted about this story. You don't know tha Ink mentioned the 3rd tri-mester, not me. You don't know anything that you choose to post about, except codes.

The quotes on the "third tri-mester" statement was because someone else said it; Ink.

As for your explanation of non-viable, I said it could have been before 24 weeks, which does explain it just as well as you claiming it may have been non-viable because it died due to lack of oxygen. My guess is as good as yours.

In other words, why do you keep replying to posts I make that aren't to you, and saying something that's not the least bit factually informative? You don't know the gestational age or reason for it being non-viable anymore than I do, and nothing I said was stated as fact. Just guessing like you did.

You're too stuck on MY posts and it's creepy.

At least when I choose to reply to someone's post, I generally have a good grasp on what's been said, and I'll post with some factual information. Otherwise, I'm talking to pro-lifers and stating my own opinions.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#263195 Oct 10, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>She's not a Catholic, so to her and me and other non-Catholics, the two seem to be the same. Lily thinks of a funeral and a memorial service as the same thing. We all have different perspectives, which is a good thing. Vive la difference :-)
I've been to memorial services that included a funeral director but no mass, so she's not necessary right or wrong either.

Point was, many people do see the two words as interchangable.

“OUCH”

Since: Mar 07

Russell Springs, KY

#263196 Oct 10, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked it up and this is what it says.
What about abortion to save the mother's life?
To abort a fetus in order to save its mother would deem one life more valuable than another. It would deny one human being his or her right to life in favor of that of another. However, the mother's life is still just as precious as the baby's, and we must attempt to save her in such situations. It is morally permissible for a doctor to perform a surgery or procedure to save the mother's life that may accidentally and tragically result in the death of the unborn child. It is purposely aborting the fetus to save the mother that is not acceptable.
The mother of course can receive surgeries and treatments that could or will cause the death of the fetus to save her life. It is almost never neccessary.
Ask him if ectopic pregnancy is acceptable to him. Maybe he'll answer you,he won't me.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#263197 Oct 10, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you bringing this up again? I used the sad, real-life experience of a friend's stillborn fetus. Baby never breathed so was referred to as "stillborn fetus". Baby's first breath allows its own circulation to begin separate from the woman carrying it.
Then, I reasoned, since cutting the cord physically separates fetus from woman, it's no longer connected to another body for its sustenance.
Viola! Hypothetically, if there WERE such a thing as an exact moment fetus becomes baby (there isn't, it's a process spanning the duration of labor and delivery), it'd have to be at those momentous times.
Please pinpoint exactly what is "...uninformed and baseless..." about this answer. While you're at it, defend and prove your erroneous claim that, "There was no fact to base your stupidity, though you tried to prove there was." Try to keep it under 200 words. Kthanks.
That's your reasoning, and it's not reasonable. The exact moment a fetus becomes baby is something known by anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence and sense; once outside of the woman's body. Period. No guessing, no need for anything but common sense. A fetus refers to that human life IN UTERO.

Stillborns are referred to as both; fetus or baby. The fetus died in utero, which makes sense it would be called stillborn fetus. It also makes sense to call it stillborn baby, because once born it's considered a baby, but a baby born dead.

You version of what a fetus is ridiculous. Always has been and always will be.

Why did i bring it up? Because when people like you and Foo argue with pro-lifers about what's in utero you both refuse to acknowledge it's a baby.

But both of you, when someone you knew had one that died, and you wanted to USE them to make some selserving point here, you each called it baby. You will deny it's a baby while arguing about abortion rights, because you need to dehumanize it then. Only when it's convenient for you to try to make some point do you humanize that life in utero, or the life born dead as the woman's "baby".

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#263198 Oct 10, 2012
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stillborn

still·born (stlbôrn)
adj.
1. Dead at birth.

stillborn [&#712;st&#618;l&# 716;b&#596;&#720;n]
adj
1.(Medicine / Pathology)(of a fetus) dead at birth

2. stillborn -(of newborn infant) showing no signs of life at birth; not liveborn; "a stillborn baby"
sassylicious

Jackson, NJ

#263199 Oct 10, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said the memorial service is in Texas JackassSkanky?
In fact, her body is on its way back to her home. Her family here, is having a memorial service for her. Sorry if that doesn't meet your approval. Nobody really gives a shit tho.
<quoted text>
You're a moron. Her mother is NOT my ex. Her aunt is my ex, and also my best friend. My ex is not coming up, but yes, Ariel is with her mom. My ex and her partner comes to visit often, and when we go to Florida, we stay with them as well. What's your point, besides covered with hair?
Your brother in laws boyfriends sister (who BOTH lived in Texas according to you), conveniently live upstate NY by you? THIS woman, not related to you, your wife OR your wifes brother...has family by you..ALLL the way upstae NY?

LOL you're a riot.

Oh....NOW Ariels mom was not your ex-gf...but her Aunt was?@@ sureeeeee...that's why we were busting on you for "accidently"saying she 14 yrs old (where you agreed to tell police to put out an Amber alert for after a PL suggested it) if this was your ex -\gf's daughter @@

Honestly, you are showing signs of your past co aine addiction. Your brain is fried so much that you cant even keep anstraight story.
sassylicious

Jackson, NJ

#263200 Oct 10, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said the memorial service is in Texas JackassSkanky?
In fact, her body is on its way back to her home. Her family here, is having a memorial service for her. Sorry if that doesn't meet your approval. Nobody really gives a shit tho.
<quoted text>
You're a moron. Her mother is NOT my ex. Her aunt is my ex, and also my best friend. My ex is not coming up, but yes, Ariel is with her mom. My ex and her partner comes to visit often, and when we go to Florida, we stay with them as well. What's your point, besides covered with hair?
"her body is being flown back to her home"?

Thought she and her brother were from Texas ?

@@

Location hidden

#263201 Oct 10, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
What, in your mind is a moderate?
Look up his policies as a governor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Jun '10) 2 min Princess Hey 26,607
News Hillary Clinton Charges Racism 6 min reality 619
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 21 min jimi-yank 333,051
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 31 min jimi-yank 5,284
jets talk back (Dec '07) 47 min jimi-yank 12,344
Time to go? (Jun '15) 52 min Chilli J 12,674
Donald Trump will be the BEST PRESIDENT we ever... 3 hr Monica Lewinski 2
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 4 hr NEMO 12,326
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 4 hr An Old Sailor 13,423
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 14 hr Katrina 138