Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313678 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Rockabye”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#260025 Sep 25, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh..you know Age,I would love to see no need for abortion at anytime,especially for women who can't afford to raise their child,or who are not ready for the task,because of what ever reason.
As we look at this, Brown v. Board of Education (347 U.S. 483 (1954)) overruled Plessy v. Ferguson (163 U.S. 537 (1896) with regards to the 'separate but equal' doctrine.
Now comes Casey,the US Supreme Court went with stare decisis as the basis for their decision, I think,they thought,they should only change the law when society and,or legal philosophy had changed. In Casey,here comes the undue burden change. State may enact regulations to further the health and safety of a woman seeking an abortion, as long as the regulation does not impose an undue burden. No one knows,what the heck, the courts undue burden really means. It's a guess at best,so a case by case basis,is implied. As Bit, put it not,enough abortion clinics,no money to get one,would be fine example of undue burden. I agree,this would most likely stop someone from having an abortion,but this isn't black and white, either. Both sides are scared as hell of this. The case of Jennie Linn McCormack really got under my skin,unable to find the exact time she aborted,the closest I can find is 19-21 weeks,still not viable,but pretty damn close. As someone pro-life,my emotions got the best of me. Just as the Gosnell case got under my skin,not only because of the deaths he caused to women,but the women going along with it,well past viability. I'm sure this post will get negative results,and I'll gladly be judged a nut job,and clueless. There will never be a middle to this,because folks don't want a middle,not on this board, anyway. As my mother put it,give someone an inch and they'll take a mile,so true of both sides.
You and I are not so far apart with our perspectives on abortion, OL. However, I do disagree on one part. There is already a middle ground regarding abortion. And that is one pregnant woman at a time deciding for herself to remain pregnant or not. Nobody else is legally able to force or coerce a woman to remain pregnant or abort against her will as things currently stand (less overly restrictive, unnecessary state laws designed to prohibit abortion by "allowing" women to change their mind and remain pregnant).

“Rockabye”

Location hidden

#260026 Sep 25, 2012
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have included you in my above post, Katie.:)
Thank you, LC, but don't forget yourself in your above post :)

Happy Tuesday!!

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#260027 Sep 25, 2012
realkatie wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Tuesday!!
Thanks Katie, but I come on here and play (troll) more than anything. Not the same. lol

“Pro-Life”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#260028 Sep 25, 2012
a voter wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pretty sure the Bible says no one is in a position to judge anyone else....that whole "just not lest ye be judged" thing.
It's no more appropriate for someone to judge another for being a Pagan than it is for the other to judge someone else for being a Catholic. If the head of a church means that you offer more respect to them than others, that's your choice. However, you can't rationally expect someone of a different faith to put that person's thoughts above their own, just like you probably wouldn't be concerned with what someone's Rabbi thinks and feels.
The clueless have no understanding of what they read. That "judge not lest ye be judged", which ignorant people like to hang onto and throw in the faces of Christians, is a statement you obviously don't get.

It's about not judging others about things the person who's judging is guilty of themselves. It's about not being a hypocrite in the judging.

If "judging" others was wrong then there would be no need for prisons, Christians couldn't discipline their children and teach them right from wrong, you could leave your young children alone, or in a car in 100 degree weather, or for that matter, you could beat your children, your spouse, your dog etc.

You people have no idea what you're talking about when you post.

“Pro-Life”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#260029 Sep 25, 2012
In all actuality, any Christian who doesn't judge abortion as being wrong is being a hypocrite of their own faith if their faith views abortion as a sin. The Christians who do judge abortion as wrong are not being hypocrites, and they aren't wrong to judge those whose faith states abortion is wrong and who claim it isn't against their faith, and don't regret having one.
grumpy

Hackensack, NJ

#260030 Sep 25, 2012
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to be quite the double standard...
Only if you consider an infallible God. But suppose God makes mistakes.

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#260031 Sep 25, 2012
realkatie wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Tuesday!!
Hey, and don't forget me, too!

LOLOL!

“Nasty Nana”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#260032 Sep 25, 2012
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohh gag!
Sorry, had to return the favor. ;-)

“Nasty Nana”

Location hidden

#260033 Sep 25, 2012
realkatie wrote:
<quoted text>
"I would hate for it to come down to the alleged rapist having more rights than the victim. Of course I'd rather the perp were caught and brought to justice, I wish more for the law to empathize with the victims so that they felt safe in coming forward."
Victims have NO rights. Especially if they're dead. The Defendant has civil rights and his/her civil rights are what's being fought for in court. The victim gets lost in the shuffle of laws. Our judicial system is more a game of chess for the attorneys and judges. Federal judges are God in the court system. That's why there's so much praying going on in courts across the nation; none of it has to do with religion or Christianity.
I, too, wish the law would empathize with the victims. You might want to look into the philosophies of victimology and a just world. It is ironic a "just world" is also a logical fallacy.
I was talking about the victims of rape, not the ones that are murdered.
I understand what you are saying, but disagree to a degree in regards to the game of chess. There are human rights attorneys who do it not for money, but for justice, few and far between as they might be.
Thanks for the suggestion, I shall look into it.
How's that grand baby doing? ;)

“Nasty Nana”

Location hidden

#260034 Sep 25, 2012
sassylicious wrote:
<quoted text> Hi nasty nana ;) Hows the family?
Uh...she isnt misinterpreting anything and you know it. Stop defending liars.
Here...(sassy hands NN a $100).....go buy yourself and backbone.
Be sure to return after you purchase one AND start to use it.
URwelcome.
Kthanks sweetie
Shut up Sassy, if you were only half as clever as you think you are.
Honey, keep your money and go by some class!
LV, laughs at the utter stupidity of the crazy old coot Sassy!

“Nasty Nana”

Location hidden

#260035 Sep 25, 2012
sassylicious wrote:
<quoted text> "it wasnt the basis of her post"
Oh? What was exactly?
It was quite obvious to those that read her post and did not throw in our own interpretation of what we assumed she might be saying! You know what they say about assumptions, it's not like you to make an ass of yourself now is it dear?
The laughter, is at you, not with you!
grumpy

Hackensack, NJ

#260036 Sep 25, 2012
Googleicioius wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally! An HONEST question. Thank you.
What can I say? After doing penance and atoneing, and after long discussions at the time and since between my husband and our Priest and Bishop and being absolved by them as well, it all in the end becomes a matter of faith. That IS what faith is all about after all, no?
In days gone by the repentant sinner placed a sacrifice at the altar. If the sacrifice disappeared, God forgave you. Today, money replaces the sacrificial animal.
That reminds me. Today is "erev Yom Kipur", the eve before our day of atonement. I must sacrifice a chicken or donate money to charity. I'll donate money to a charity.

Location hidden

#260037 Sep 25, 2012
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>In days gone by the repentant sinner placed a sacrifice at the altar. If the sacrifice disappeared, God forgave you. Today, money replaces the sacrificial animal.
That reminds me. Today is "erev Yom Kipur", the eve before our day of atonement. I must sacrifice a chicken or donate money to charity. I'll donate money to a charity.
Don't eat chicken, grumpy?

“Rockabye”

Location hidden

#260038 Sep 25, 2012
Lady_Venus wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking about the victims of rape, not the ones that are murdered.
I understand what you are saying, but disagree to a degree in regards to the game of chess. There are human rights attorneys who do it not for money, but for justice, few and far between as they might be.
Thanks for the suggestion, I shall look into it.
How's that grand baby doing? ;)
Baby is doing well, so is her mother :)

I was speaking of crimes of rape as well, but more toward those that go horribly wrong. All the way down the line, where big brother protects itself, not its citizens.

“Nasty Nana”

Location hidden

#260039 Sep 25, 2012
realkatie wrote:
<quoted text>
Baby is doing well, so is her mother :)
I was speaking of crimes of rape as well, but more toward those that go horribly wrong. All the way down the line, where big brother protects itself, not its citizens.
Ah, gotcha, yes, there's that too. In which case I agree wholeheartedly with you.
Glad to hear baby and mother are doing well!

Location hidden

#260041 Sep 25, 2012
Lady_Venus wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up Sassy, if you were only half as clever as you think you are.
Honey, keep your money and go by some class!
LV, laughs at the utter stupidity of the crazy old coot Sassy!
For some reason I find it funny that she thinks you are NN...

“Rockabye”

Location hidden

#260042 Sep 25, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, and don't forget me, too!
LOLOL!
You aren't being forgotten, La :)

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#260043 Sep 25, 2012
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone on here is usually me, so it's refreshing to be off the hook for a while!

LOL!

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#260044 Sep 25, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh..you know Age,I would love to see no need for abortion at anytime,especially for women who can't afford to raise their child,or who are not ready for the task,because of what ever reason.
As we look at this, Brown v. Board of Education (347 U.S. 483 (1954)) overruled Plessy v. Ferguson (163 U.S. 537 (1896) with regards to the 'separate but equal' doctrine.
Now comes Casey,the US Supreme Court went with stare decisis as the basis for their decision, I think,they thought,they should only change the law when society and,or legal philosophy had changed. In Casey,here comes the undue burden change. State may enact regulations to further the health and safety of a woman seeking an abortion, as long as the regulation does not impose an undue burden. No one knows,what the heck, the courts undue burden really means. It's a guess at best,so a case by case basis,is implied. As Bit, put it not,enough abortion clinics,no money to get one,would be fine example of undue burden. I agree,this would most likely stop someone from having an abortion,but this isn't black and white, either. Both sides are scared as hell of this. The case of Jennie Linn McCormack really got under my skin,unable to find the exact time she aborted,the closest I can find is 19-21 weeks,still not viable,but pretty damn close. As someone pro-life,my emotions got the best of me. Just as the Gosnell case got under my skin,not only because of the deaths he caused to women,but the women going along with it,well past viability. I'm sure this post will get negative results,and I'll gladly be judged a nut job,and clueless. There will never be a middle to this,because folks don't want a middle,not on this board, anyway. As my mother put it,give someone an inch and they'll take a mile,so true of both sides.
Greetings OL! The focus from the anti-choice side seems to be horror stories from near or at viability abortions. Dr. Tiller's patients came forward and expressed their sorrow at his needless murder - some of them would have died without his help. I suppose that doesn't matter to many though - because he was "Tiller the Killer".

The majority of abortions are performed in the first tri. But that's not good enough - let's vaginally probe these women, give them waiting periods, force them to watch ultrasounds, etc. After all, they are women, they know not what they really want. The jumps and hoops are increasing, and with that, delays in safe early abortions. The horror stories are going to escalate.

Meanwhile comprehensive sex education is still hotly contested. I don't get it.

OL, no offense meant or intended, but I don't think the PC side is looking to gain any ground, they just want the status quo to remain in place so that each woman (one at a time) can make a safe and legal choice for herself.

“Nasty Nana”

Location hidden

#260045 Sep 25, 2012
lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too, and thoroughly entertaining.
She's just jealous, aw, what a shame. ;)
How are you today LC?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued (Jun '16) 36 min tiffany 1,142
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr Paul Yanks 335,675
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 1 hr Paul Yanks 43,570
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... 2 hr SirLiesAlot 2,992
The United Hates of America (Sep '10) 4 hr Buckaroo Banzai 2,835
Review: ARTLOOK GLASS COMPANY NEW YORK 4 hr The Lord Loves a ... 66
I've been living a lie for 20 years 8 hr Count Teleky 1

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance