Jason Gwaltney, C.W. Post, football

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 6, 2008, titled Jason Gwaltney, C.W. Post, football. In it, Newsday reports that:

Jason Gwaltney once rushed for 437 yards in a single game for North Babylon High School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

DAVE_IS_RIGHT

Smithtown, NY

#41 Nov 22, 2008
Maysonet, Long Island's leading rusher, is one of the favorites to win the Hansen Award this season.

"It's not about the loss. It's about getting here," West Islip coach Tim Horan said. "There are a lot of other teams in the county that would want to get here. We keep facing a great player. I give my kids all the credit in the world. It's a great accomplishment to get here again."
Senior Dan Malone played in two straight championship games. "It's really tough," he said. "We wanted it so bad this year. Riverhead has a great team."

Like Horan said, WI keeps facing a great player. WI just doesn't have GREAT PLAYERS like I said earlier. This is their problem and why WI is not a GREAT program, to be GREAT you have to have GREAT players, not just good players.
WI you are a good program, and you should be proud that you played RIverhead tough.
And if dave or anyone else rips me on here, remember coach Horan agrees with me because he said it himself.
dave

Bronx, NY

#42 Nov 24, 2008
consistancy makes a great program.....not having one great player every few years on a team.....and Horan would never agree with that statement...He said they keep facing a great player every year.....not that west islip doesnt have great players or isnt a great program...dont put words into someones mouth based on your own thoughts
DAVE_IS_RIGHT

Smithtown, NY

#43 Nov 25, 2008
dave wrote:
consistancy makes a great program.....not having one great player every few years on a team.....and Horan would never agree with that statement...He said they keep facing a great player every year.....not that west islip doesnt have great players or isnt a great program...dont put words into someones mouth based on your own thoughts
Consistently makes a great program? Consistent at what....losing?
Sachem with Fusaro as coach won something like 2 class AAA championships in 35 years or something. They made the playoffs every year he was there...SO WHAT! How many championships has Floyd won in the short time that Paul Longo has been coach? Now that is a GREAT program. You can't compare the two coaches or program any longer. Why? Sachem makes the playoffs each year compared to Floyd has WON many championships, 3 in a row and longest pubic school win streak ever on LI.
I wasn't putting words in Horan's mouth, he clearly was talking about how his team CONSISTENTLY false prey to great teams with a super great player, in this case Maysonet.
I highly doubt you ever played ball dave, because you clearly don't know about football. If you did you would realize that GREAT players CAN'T win unless they are surrounded by GREAT TEAMS! Skill kids can't accomplish much unless holes are wide open for the skill kids to run through. Great teams start at the line....which WI seems to have. However, you also need good skill kids that are fast and athletic to make the plays....which WI consistently lacks. Please name a skill kid from West Islip that has ever been up for the Hansen? I honestly can't think of one? dave, HONESTLY name ONE! WI had one kid win a Hansen who was a lineman...not a skill position.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#44 Nov 25, 2008
Grow up boys. These are kids you're talking about.
DAVE_IS_RIGHT

Smithtown, NY

#45 Nov 25, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
Grow up boys. These are kids you're talking about.
I've never said a thing the WI boys. In fact, I praised the kids for playing Riverhead tough.
dave

Bronx, NY

#46 Nov 26, 2008
floyd has a great program now, and as long as they keep winning they will continue to have that great program.......sure west islip lacks the skill player to get them over the top, but just because they dont have 10 long island championships doesnt mean they are not a great program.....and yea sachem going to the playoffs every year for 35 years does make them a great program.......consitantly making the playoffs makes a great program, and yea winning it all helps...But you cant honestly say a team that won a couple of titles every few years but have faltered the majority of the other years is a good program, because it is not..What do you not understand about this, stop going back to hansen award winners, that means nothing
DAVE_IS_RIGHT

Smithtown, NY

#47 Nov 26, 2008
OK, North Babylon had the worst coach in Suffolk history in Bob Burnes for like 15 years. Because of some great talent on those teams, some of them made the playoffs, with the worst coaching. Up until 1991, North Babylon won the Rutgers Trophy just once in 1974.

Now Terry Manning becomes coach in 1992 and takes a team that went 0-8 the year before to 4-4 (I know because I was on that team. 1993 NB just misses the playoffs and then starting in 1994 NB makes the playoffs for the next 12 years in a row. Along the way they won 6 Long Island and went to the Long Island Championships 7 times. They were in the county championship 9 times. in 12 years. Manning and NB missed the playoffs for 2 years and then they made the playoffs this year, losing to Riverhead in the playoffs. So because NB missed the playoffs 2 times in 16 years under Manning, they aren't a consistent program? So with that being said how on earth can you say "But you cant honestly say a team that won a couple of titles every few years but have faltered the majority of the other years is a good program, because it is not..What do you not understand about this"
I believe WI missed the playoffs 2 or 3 years ago. Now NB made the playoffs this year in 3rd place, which would have qualified them for the playoffs in a 4 team playoff, now 8 teams make it....so making the playoffs with 8 teams doesn't mean as much as before.
When you talk about consistency and NB talk about the Manning years. Yes, WI had better coaches overall over the past few decades...but talk about the Manning years. I bet there isn't a coach out there that wouldn't mind having Manning's record and accomplishments...6 LIC's, making the playoffs 11 times in 15 years and that's counting the first two years after he took over a poorly coached program.

Also, to say that we won championships because of Gwaltney is ignorance. NB won the LIC 4 times without Jason and made it 5 times without him. You need great coaching to get a team to win, you can have the best players and if they aren't coached well then it is going to fail. If Manning had been the coach in the 80's then the great athletes that went through NB would have been champions as well.

And I'm sure that if WI had a lot of Hansen award winners and nominees like NB has had it would mean something to you. The fact that NB has had the amount of nominees and winners is a testament of how good players were developed into great ones.
Johnny

Brooklyn, NY

#48 Nov 30, 2008
all this talk from bayshore???
the real question is, how many championship rings do you have?
dont talk like your mr know it all. put some pads and a helmet on and try practicing with the north babylon varsity. and we all fail? barry baker screwed up in syracuse, however now hes a teacher. ian smart makes more money than you. omar palmer has a great job makin great money. a bunch of former athletes are on their way to the pros.
i was a starting defensive player for north bab, so the words that you typed offends me. so if you think you know it all about north babylon, come to our town and say it to the faces of the 'failures' you happened to talk about
but seriously.. how many championship rings do you have?
dave

Bronx, NY

#49 Dec 1, 2008
listen johnny id put pads on any day of the week and take you on on the field my friend, i was a starting offensive linemen for west islip and not very intimidated by north babylon varsity football practice....and please dont say anybody makes more money than me seeing how you have zero idea what i do..........as for the other one......you present fair arguments, and we could go back and forth for the rest of our lives, WI and NB both have very good programs so ill leave it at that and end this 3 week argument civilized

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#50 Dec 2, 2008
dave wrote:
actually i work in bayshore, hence that town being the name from the computer i am typing from......and live and went to west islip....which has one of the best football programs on long island year in and out<quoted text>
Ah - White Islip. AKA The Bridesmaids.
dave

Bronx, NY

#51 Dec 3, 2008
pretty clever, your probably very successfull
dave

Bronx, NY

#52 Dec 3, 2008
wouldnt have WHITE islip any other way...appreciate the comments though

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#53 Dec 3, 2008
dave wrote:
listen johnny id put pads on any day of the week and take you on on the field my friend, i was a starting offensive linemen for west islip and not very intimidated by north babylon varsity football practice....and please dont say anybody makes more money than me seeing how you have zero idea what i do..........as for the other one......you present fair arguments, and we could go back and forth for the rest of our lives, WI and NB both have very good programs so ill leave it at that and end this 3 week argument civilized
Nonsense. The WI program is not even in the same class.
No team in Suffolk history has suffered as many humiliating defeats as West Islip.
dave

Bronx, NY

#54 Dec 4, 2008
thats funny....west islip beat up on every team in division 2 this year and the last and has only lost to 2 teams the past 2 years...try making a logical point please cause you are very very off by that statment my friend

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#55 Dec 4, 2008
dave wrote:
thats funny....west islip beat up on every team in division 2 this year and the last and has only lost to 2 teams the past 2 years...try making a logical point please cause you are very very off by that statment my friend
Which does not speak to the fact that West Islip has suffered more utterly humiliating defeats than any program in Suffolk football history. Horan is a big mouth - we all heard his bleating heading into the 2005 playoffs. His team was beaten so badly that people almost felt sorry for them.
Almost.
So what did he do? Repeated his antics in 2006.

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#56 Dec 4, 2008
In the last ten years, WI has made three SC Championship Games. Their record? 0 - 3 outscored 85 to 7.
Don't mention WI in the same breath as the great programs, please.
DAVE_IS_RIGHT

Smithtown, NY

#57 Dec 4, 2008
dave wrote:
wouldnt have WHITE islip any other way...appreciate the comments though
WHITE Islip has a negative connotation and it is not about the white people in the community. Just looking out for you.
dave

Bronx, NY

#58 Dec 5, 2008
right right i understand you say it is about the "rampant" drug use.... however pissed off racist minorities use that term because it is a WHITE town
DAVE_IS_RIGHT wrote:
<quoted text>
WHITE Islip has a negative connotation and it is not about the white people in the community. Just looking out for you.
dave

Bronx, NY

#59 Dec 5, 2008
true...and all 3 teams have been voted the best team in suffolk county each of those years.....but have those teams consistantly been in the S.C. championship the past few years....thats a negative.....East Islip fell off the map again after their great season like they usually do ....North Babylon is way out there from being contenders, and Bellport is a nothing team anymore after taking a beating in d-3 last year.....so tell me, how have those 3 programs been doing recently....seems to me west islip is always in the mix....but they cant get over the top, there always is one team better in that division and that team is always a rutgers cup champion....so lets not go and say anything negative about the west islip football program because they never fall off the map like the "GREAT PROGRAMS' you seem to be talking about
Joseph Tyson wrote:
In the last ten years, WI has made three SC Championship Games. Their record? 0 - 3 outscored 85 to 7.
Don't mention WI in the same breath as the great programs, please.
dave

Bronx, NY

#60 Dec 5, 2008
and they have been in the S.C. Championship game 4 times in the past 7 years.....get your facts straight

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER 5 min DBWriter 3,360
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr jimi-yank 53,037
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 2 hr Guinness Drinker 315,802
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 5 hr Princess Hey 11,208
Ingles Markets Inc going under? 7 hr Philo 2
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 8 hr CTM 9,898
Poll What happened to Brookhaven John? 8 hr realist 19
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 11 hr LIfan 12,309
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]