Yankees lose on Navarro's HR in 10th -

Yankees lose on Navarro's HR in 10th -

There are 10 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 26, 2007, titled Yankees lose on Navarro's HR in 10th -. In it, Newsday reports that:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Yankees' magic number to clinch a playoff berth remains one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Brian

United States

#1 Sep 26, 2007
Why bring Bruney in the game? You sent him down because he couldn't do the job. Certainly there were better options. The Yanks were pitching from behind the whole night.

Plus with the game tied with two out, In my opinion you send Possada on the single.

Torre was managing from the perspective of not wanting to lose rather than from the perspective of managing to win and he's taken that approach since 2001.

In fact the championship teams won only able to win because they were just that good and able as they overcome the managerial deficiencies of Joe Torre.
Lou

United States

#2 Sep 26, 2007
I completely agree. I am tired of spending my hard earned money on Yankees gear and MLB ticket to watch the crap managerial Torre moves. The Yankees lost the division only because of that idiot Torre. He gave it away. I will not get MLB to watch any longer.

I was at the game last night. When Bruney pitched it was like getting a root canal. You even see the defense getting uneasy. It was pathetic. If it continues I will root for the Rockies. Make Matingly the interim manager. Now before the Yanks are out in the first round. Where is Stienbrenner when you really need him. Make a move.

“27 wins”

Since: Jan 07

Bradford, PA

#3 Sep 26, 2007
Brian wrote:
In fact the championship teams won only able to win because they were just that good and able as they overcome the managerial deficiencies of Joe Torre.
I disagree. Joe Torre didn't call out the pitching -- Mel Stottlemyre did. And Not only did we have Ramirez, Nelson, and Stanton, but guys like Graeme Lloyd would come out and be GOOD in the post-season, though they were Villonesque in the regular season. And don't forget Zimmer, whose absence only highlights Torre's flaws.
Uncle Jack

Denver, CO

#4 Sep 26, 2007
Lou wrote:
I will root for the Rockies.
Lou, the Rockies have a good, young team. If they could make the playoffs, they could cause some damage. The future looks bright for them.
john

Mattituck, NY

#5 Sep 26, 2007
Two words for everyone who wants to fire Torre for making the playoffs every year but not winning the World Series since 2000: Marty Shottenheimer.
His teams keep firing him for not winning the Super Bowl, but they've all failed to even make the playoffs after the fired him. Chargers appear to be following suit this year.
bill

Mattituck, NY

#6 Sep 26, 2007
Why do announcers always talk about the "all-important loss column?" Isn't the win column just as important. In fact, once you've got those wins, they are in the bag forever. The loss column could still add new losses.
Mooooooose

East Hampton, CT

#7 Sep 26, 2007
they talk about the loss column because when you're 2.5 games back, that could mean that either the team you're trailing has yet to play a game, or your team has yet to play a game. If you are 2.5 back, but 3 out in the loss column, it means that the team you're trailing has the game left. If you're 2 out in the loss column, it means you have the extra game. 2 games out in the loss column is just another way of saying, 2 games behind with 1 game in hand

Since: Sep 07

Windham, ME

#8 Sep 26, 2007
I laughed at the analogy of Bruny and a root canal. I had been thinking of a hemorrhoid attack. Igawa is a waste. Fartsworth is horrendous. I cringe when he's put in the game. Ramirez - they ought to put him out to pasture. Awful. Thank the Almighty the Moose is coming around.

Hard times are ahead when the Yanks make the playoffs. I hope A-rod is on for a change and doesn't choke as he usually does in October.
Ward

Apollo Beach, FL

#9 Sep 26, 2007
El Viejo wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Joe Torre didn't call out the pitching -- Mel Stottlemyre did. And Not only did we have Ramirez, Nelson, and Stanton, but guys like Graeme Lloyd would come out and be GOOD in the post-season, though they were Villonesque in the regular season. And don't forget Zimmer, whose absence only highlights Torre's flaws.
You make some very valid points especially the Zimmer comment. I do disagree only on the idea of Mel because it is Torres call on who's coming into the game.

Those nineties teams were so good....
Ward

Apollo Beach, FL

#10 Sep 26, 2007
WabanakiWm wrote:
I laughed at the analogy of Bruny and a root canal. I had been thinking of a hemorrhoid attack. Igawa is a waste. Fartsworth is horrendous. I cringe when he's put in the game. Ramirez - they ought to put him out to pasture. Awful. Thank the Almighty the Moose is coming around.
Hard times are ahead when the Yanks make the playoffs. I hope A-rod is on for a change and doesn't choke as he usually does in October.
Igawa did one thing though it was against a bad team, he did pitch out of trouble, many times and barely. I wouldn't pitch him against anyone else though.

What I do not understand is why Torre delayed taking Bruny out? You would think after he walked the bases full and walked in a run that maybe he didn't have it. Obviously it alluded Torre's perception. It's true Bruny was sent down because he couldn't get the job done and when you were so close to maybe catching the Sox; against nearly impossible odds, Torre fiddled again while the Bronx burned [sorry]. There was just no reason to lose that game.

It's almost like Torre doesn't want to take the division. Perhaps he likes his chances against Cleveland.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 1 hr Charlie Coupland 26
TRUMP to give Adress at Gettysburg ! 2 hr Gettysburg Address 5
GREAT WALL of MEXICO - PLAGIARIZED ! - China ! 2 hr Great Wall of Texas 3
TED CRUZ - The ONLY Republican with Integrity ! 2 hr Canuck Subs Sink 4
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr zef 311,487
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 2 hr De Oppresso Liber 11,281
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 2 hr rainmaker2016 14,944
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 3 hr Paul Yanks 330,632
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 3 hr Paul Yanks 40,892

New York Jobs