OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Gee, I wonder what the major factor was that caused it to flip. Wouldn't exactly call the guy a truck driver as Newsday did.
Anyone remember years ago when pick-ups weren't allowed on parkways?

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/acc...
Balto

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Judged:

I remember when the speed limit on the Southern State was 35 mph but that was when people were saying "I like Ike" and a '53 Merc was a hot car. I think plumbers drove panel trucks then and a "pickup" was a floozy you snagged out of a bar and grill.
plottmasteram

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Pickup trucks have always been roll-over prone.Allowing them on the roller coaster ride we call the Southern State Pkwy is dangerous to other drivers.All pickups were registered as commercial vehicles[cheaper rates] until a few years ago.Wasn't there a law that the back of the truck had to be covered to be allowed on the pkwy? Was the guy wearing a seat belt?
Condolences to his family that will have to deal with the backstabbing insurance company.
Balto

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Those curves in the parkway where the Cross Island merges with the SS eastbound are not "true" in that you must steer a correction mid-curve. Highway engineers have known that for more than half a century but that was the way the parkway was laid down to avoid private property owned by influential people who told Robert Moses to go stuff it when he wanted a straighter road.

The parkways were meant for weekend meandering joyriders on their way to the beach, not a clusterf&%$ of speeding commuters. I remember the decorative wooden dividers and wooden street lamps right on the parkway curbs. Both Northern and Southern State Parkways are obsolete and a highway engineering nightmare despite decades of improvements. The Valley Stream dime toll was a pisser. I used to run that s.o.b. and flash the finger. I never got chased.
Witness

Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

I happened to be 2 cars behind the pickup truck and was the first responder on the scene. The pickup truck flipped after he had hit the other car. Also this was not a newer pickup truck, it was an late 80's early 90's style pick up truck(I could be wrong). All I have to say is people please wear your seat belts. After what I saw last night I dont think I could ever forget to wear my belt.
Witness

Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Condolences to his family
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Witness wrote:
I happened to be 2 cars behind the pickup truck and was the first responder on the scene. The pickup truck flipped after he had hit the other car. Also this was not a newer pickup truck, it was an late 80's early 90's style pick up truck(I could be wrong). All I have to say is people please wear your seat belts. After what I saw last night I dont think I could ever forget to wear my belt.
Do you have pictures?
Lifeisit

Syosset, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Man it seems like the media is blaming the guy for erratic driving..Is that the case or a bad job of winter cleanup or perhaps other driver cutting off pickup truck??My condolences go out to the family..
Balto

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Judged:

OWSH wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have pictures?
Easy, please. I had Kodak Instamatic photos of dead enemy and fellow Marines from Vietnam but I destoyed them all once I got near 50. I was 19 and 20 and a sergeant and a squad leader rifleman then. Death is only a cheer for those who have never seen it up close.
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Balto wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy, please. I had Kodak Instamatic photos of dead enemy and fellow Marines from Vietnam but I destoyed them all once I got near 50. I was 19 and 20 and a sergeant and a squad leader rifleman then. Death is only a cheer for those who have never seen it up close.
And it intrigues others.
Witness

Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

No i do not have pictures and would not do such a thing. The image of seeing the vechile crashing and tumbling in front of my car is burned into my memory forever. Getting out of my car and rushing over to try and pull someone from an overturned vehicle but to only find them dead is a picture fused into my memory that will never be erased. I have seen dead people before but not someone die in front of me. What ever the outcome a life was lost and its a shame since he was only 33. R.I.P
Shave Bush

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

As long as he is white,who cares?

“Small gov't.Low taxes, Freedom”

Since: Mar 07

Ronkonkoma

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

OWSH wrote:
Gee, I wonder what the major factor was that caused it to flip. Wouldn't exactly call the guy a truck driver as Newsday did.
Anyone remember years ago when pick-ups weren't allowed on parkways?
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/acc...
Pickup trucks have always been allowed on parkways as long as they are a)covered or b) contain a "club" cab or full cab with back seats.
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Lost Rights James Bovard wrote:
<quoted text>
Pickup trucks have always been allowed on parkways as long as they are a)covered or b) contain a "club" cab or full cab with back seats.
The same had applied to vans. Now, all that is required are passenger plates.
Remember the gas stations on the parkways?
Jack Currie

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Balto wrote:
Death is only a cheer for those who have never seen it up close.
Seen it....Or smelt it.:(
Jack Currie

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

OWSH wrote:
Is the Mobil on the GCP @ Francis Lewis still there?

Ronkonkoma

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

OWSH wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, passenger plates are only issued by DMV if one the two rules I listed apply.

Ronkonkoma

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

OWSH wrote:
<quoted text>
btw, there still ARE gas stations on the Parkway..........

“ Fighting a corrupt system”

Since: Aug 08

Centereach,NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Lost Rights James Bovard wrote:
<quoted text>
btw, there still ARE gas stations on the Parkway..........
Only in the five boroughs(Queens). Were these true locations? SS Pkwy, rte 110 , Wantagh pkwy so of 27a, NS pkwy between 231 and commack rd. Any others I missed?
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Jack Currie wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the Mobil on the GCP @ Francis Lewis still there?
No idea, but none are on any parkways in Nassau or Suffolk.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

45 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 24 min sdd 755
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 29 min Eric 68,398
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 48 min FuMan Chu Yanks 305,974
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) 52 min Wake up 669
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 53 min trs 16,778
What's wrong with Tman, good ole Momma Chamberlin 1 hr Jack 74
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 1 hr Jack 35,004
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr feces for jesus 305,160
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 1 hr Maude 14,391
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 12 hr outsider 10,226
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••