Recession hits Bethpage's U.S. Open s...

Recession hits Bethpage's U.S. Open sponsorships

There are 15 comments on the Newsday story from May 18, 2009, titled Recession hits Bethpage's U.S. Open sponsorships. In it, Newsday reports that:

The recession is affecting even the grand, linen-white tents at prime locations at next month's U.S. Open golf championship at Bethpage State Park 's Black Course, with corporate sponsorships down as much as 20 percent from last year's tournament, say U.S. Golf Association officials who run the weeklong extravaganza.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#1 May 18, 2009
This recesion is a farce. Everyone is saying oh due to the economy, the economy this the economy that, when the truth is that the majority of these businesses have the money, yet they are reluctant to part with it, when truth is you can go to pretty much any mall in america, even here on LI and find that the parking spots are pretty full, and alot of people are there buying things.
Concerned woman

Trenton, NJ

#2 May 18, 2009
The malls' are full, but people are not spending money like they used to. They carry less shopping bags if you look around.
THE TRUTH

Kapolei, HI

#3 May 18, 2009
TIGER CHEERLEADERS! Tiger Woods vs. Roger Federer who is the REAL KING of Majors? As Tiger gets ready to play his next major, the TIGER CHEERLEADERS are already preparing a new ROUTINE. That includes especially those PATRIOTIC MEDIA CHEERLEADERS! Tiger won his first major in 1997 at the Masters at the age of 21. He is now age 33 and now has won 14 out of his last 49 majors a wining percentage of 28.5% Not Bad. He is now 4 majors away from the all time PGA record of 18. Roger Federer won his first major in 2003 also at the age of 21 at Wimbledon. He is now age 27 and now has won 13 out of his last 23 Majors a wining percentage of 56.5% Awesome! He is now 1 major awasy from the all time ATP Majors record of 14 set by Pete Sampras at age 32. Finally, remember TIGER CHEERLEADERS that Roger won his first major 6 years and 25 majors after Tiger won his first. In 2009 TIGER CHEERLEADERS just like YOU will be watching Tiger try to win the U.S. Open for the 2nd year in a row. Afterwards, watch Tiger in New York as Tiger watches Roger Federer try to win the U.S. Open for a record 6th year in a row! Now even TIGER CHEERLEADERS know that deserves a PEP-RALLY! So don't forget your POM POMS and SPEAKER CONES!(That includes the MEDIA TIGER CHEERLEADERS TOO!)
Fishermen

Brooklyn, NY

#5 May 18, 2009
There's more to it than that... Corporate tents the drinkig that goes with it... Oeople don't want to eat, they go to drink... Guess what? There getting smart !! You can watch it home and party, and stay safe... I'll be there for a couple of days... Love the Tiger , Phil challenge !!
Doped Up

Medford, NY

#6 May 18, 2009
All the b.s. the "economy is down" my rear! Granted they may have less "corprate tents" than the last open @ Bethpage, but they're a bunch of tents there. They moved them around a bit, but there is a heck of alot of white tents all round the courses.

My understanding is that they woun't have a dedicated "execuitve" course, but the other courses will be closed during the open, why? They can get more money from the hacks with "golf feaver" with the other 4 courses open and earning, even with some shotened holes. The blind idiot upstate doesn't know how to make money!!
Observer

United States

#8 May 19, 2009
What a waste of money!
Boo Effin Hoo

Port Washington, NY

#9 May 19, 2009
Even the swells aren't buying. Cry me a river.
hippy chic

AOL

#10 May 19, 2009
golf is for dikheads who have absoutley no mind of there own its sad they go just to follow the pack, network, kiss bosses a, sad world me live in now i swear
WaitingNow

Tokyo, Japan

#11 May 19, 2009
Royal Bank of Scotland is a major partner ... you should have said the British taxpayers are major partner instead .. duh!
Frank Rizzo

Washington, DC

#12 May 19, 2009
hippy chic wrote:
golf is for dikheads who have absoutley no mind of there own its sad they go just to follow the pack, network, kiss bosses a, sad world me live in now i swear
Hey Hippy (It's hippie,stupid) chick-what an ignorant comment. How much acid did you drop this morning???
mrstretch

United States

#13 May 19, 2009
Free Bernie Madoff! He only did to the wealthy, what the wealthy have been doing to the poor & middle class for CENTURIES!
Witsy

Commack, NY

#15 May 19, 2009
THE TRUTH wrote:
TIGER CHEERLEADERS! Tiger Woods vs. Roger Federer who is the REAL KING of Majors? As Tiger gets ready to play his next major, the TIGER CHEERLEADERS are already preparing a new ROUTINE. That includes especially those PATRIOTIC MEDIA CHEERLEADERS! Tiger won his first major in 1997 at the Masters at the age of 21. He is now age 33 and now has won 14 out of his last 49 majors a wining percentage of 28.5% Not Bad. He is now 4 majors away from the all time PGA record of 18. Roger Federer won his first major in 2003 also at the age of 21 at Wimbledon. He is now age 27 and now has won 13 out of his last 23 Majors a wining percentage of 56.5% Awesome! He is now 1 major awasy from the all time ATP Majors record of 14 set by Pete Sampras at age 32. Finally, remember TIGER CHEERLEADERS that Roger won his first major 6 years and 25 majors after Tiger won his first. In 2009 TIGER CHEERLEADERS just like YOU will be watching Tiger try to win the U.S. Open for the 2nd year in a row. Afterwards, watch Tiger in New York as Tiger watches Roger Federer try to win the U.S. Open for a record 6th year in a row! Now even TIGER CHEERLEADERS know that deserves a PEP-RALLY! So don't forget your POM POMS and SPEAKER CONES!(That includes the MEDIA TIGER CHEERLEADERS TOO!)
How many of the posters on this site care about Roger Federer? Raise your hands.:o)
larry

Vero Beach, FL

#16 May 19, 2009
tmptjohn88 wrote:
This recesion is a farce. Everyone is saying oh due to the economy, the economy this the economy that, when the truth is that the majority of these businesses have the money, yet they are reluctant to part with it, when truth is you can go to pretty much any mall in america, even here on LI and find that the parking spots are pretty full, and alot of people are there buying things.
Money is tight,jobs are hard to get,and the cost of living in NY is getting worse.Look at the foreclosure rate on the Island.People are buying things on their maxed out credit cards.You are living in a plastic world.

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#18 May 19, 2009
larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Money is tight,jobs are hard to get,and the cost of living in NY is getting worse.Look at the foreclosure rate on the Island.People are buying things on their maxed out credit cards.You are living in a plastic world.
I pay for things cash. If I can't afford it, I don't get it. Jobs are out there, the problem is most people are unwilling to stick their hands in the mud and get dirty to earn a dollar. yes forclosures are extremely high, but it is mostly because of people who took out loans that were above what they could afford to pay, and still meet all of their other obligations. If the recession was as bad as everyone makes it out to be there would be more boarded up businesses, and most resturants would go the way of Bennagains, and the malls would be empty.
THE TRUTH

Kapolei, HI

#19 May 19, 2009
TIGER CHEERLEADERS! In 2009 watch Tiger try to win the U.S. Open for the 2nd year in a row. Afterwards, watch Tiger in New York as he watches Roger Federer try to win the U.S. open for a record 6th year in a row! Now pick up those POM POMS CHEERLEADERS because even TIGER CHEERLEADERS know that deserves a PEP-RALLY!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a girl who likes k9 to be my gf 42 min Wreckless 1
TRUMP to Hold BIGGLY RALLY in The Pen ! 3 hr Biggly Wiggly Trump 2
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... 4 hr Ant-Arctic Invasi... 3,549
Ivanka's Turkish Trademarks /Trump Praise for T... 4 hr Donnie Darko Trump 2
News Baldwin man Kevin Allocco sentenced in rape ple... (Dec '08) 4 hr expatriate 118
Chelsea Clinton is being groomed 4 hr Bill o Riley FOX ... 2
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 5 hr winner 17,838
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr Susanm 313,916
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 7 hr Mouse 44,027
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued (Jun '16) 16 hr Ben 1,532

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages