Repeal Romney Don't-Care
Bozo the Mojo Man

Yonkers, NY

#88 Aug 25, 2012
Logic wrote:
Isaac Repeals Romney Don't Care
Been doing a rain dance with your Kenyan witch doctor??
Mainstream Lies

New Providence, NJ

#89 Aug 25, 2012
Anybody in this point in time who believes a thing that either Obama or the Mainstream Media says is stupid beyond repair.

Can anybody state one thing Obama has done for anybody aside from the richest one percent? Didn't think so?
Logic

United States

#90 Aug 29, 2012
Bozo the Mojo Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Been doing a rain dance with your Kenyan witch doctor??
Still advoiding the serial killer from next door.
QUESTION

Yonkers, NY

#91 Aug 30, 2012
Logic wrote:
<quoted text>
Still advoiding the serial killer from next door.
Didn't do well in English did you?

How did your cancer surgery go or was that another lie?
Logic

United States

#92 Sep 2, 2012
Repeal Romney Dont-Care

Obama 2012!

Right Power!
feeling lucky punk

Yonkers, NY

#93 Sep 2, 2012
Logic wrote:
Repeal Romney Dont-Care
Obama 2012!
Right Power!
Janet Napolitano ("Big Sis") and her wack-o female aides are now in big trouble. Several of them enjoy four-letter harassment of upper level male co-workers and it has eroded morale and efficiency.

Give them guns and send them to the border. Problem solved.
Logic

United States

#94 Sep 2, 2012
Mitt the Con man and Paul the Lying King are nothing but two dopes
The Playground Pundits

Yonkers, NY

#95 Sep 2, 2012
Logic wrote:
Mitt the Con man and Paul the Lying King are nothing but two dopes
Is that a direct quote from "Plugs" Biden?
ZCs

Brooklyn, NY

#96 Sep 4, 2012
Repent and Repeal!!

The most effective and politically potent moment of the GOP convention was not seen by most Americans (and the Tampa conclave had low ratings to begin with). It was a biography of the Romneys that did momentarily bring a Hollywood manufactured aura of personal amiability to the couple. Unfortunately for the hapless Romney campaign advisors, the video was shown before the golden hour of national television coverage – in order to make time for the disastrous appearance known as the "Clint Eastwood Outer Limits Moment."

One quickly glossed over moment in the video, however, is when Mitt Romney states that his father and grandparents came back to the United States to escape a revolution. Yes, they were escaping the Mexican revolution in 1912, but the GOP candidate president omits a bit of the story that is quite telling, according to the Boston Globe:

George Romney was born in Mexico and was 5 years old when a revolution forced his family members in 1912 to flee their Mormon colony and seek refuge in the United States. The Mormon exiles lost their homes, farms, and most of their belongings, were welcomed by the United States, and benefited from a $100,000 refugee fund established by Congress.

But there are other elements to the Romney story that may explain why he doesn’t tell the full tale on the campaign trail. The reason that George was born in Mexico is that his grandfather - Mitt’s great-grandfather - had taken refuge there in order to escape US laws against polygamy. It was this family patriarch, Miles Park Romney, who established the colony and lived there with four wives.

According to the Global Post:

Former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney's ancestors reportedly fled to Mexico in the 19th century to practice polygamy after it was banned in the United States, the Associated Press reported.

Romney's great grandfather, Miles Park Romney, fled to Mexico after the 1882 passing of the Edmund Act, which banned polygamy in the US. He married his fifth wife after the Mormon church formally banned the practice in 1890.

No one is going to hold his ancestors' polygamy against the devoutly monogamous (to our knowledge) Mitt Romney, but it is an interesting omission from his campaign narrative, considering that he is a devout Mormon. The only reason the Mormon church banned polygamy was that it was a required concession for Utah to become a state in 1896.

More interesting perhaps is the Boston Globe reference to US government welfare being received by the polygamous "refugees" from Mexico, who had flood the United States to pursue the practice, including the Romney ancestors.

Dosen't that mean that Mitt Romney's dad received welfare of sorts, that he didn't "build it on his own"?

If you think that this is some far out accusation, just listen and watch this interview that George Romney's wife gave when he was running for governor of Michigan in 1962 (courtesy of The Political Carnival). Lenore Romney, Mitt's mother, says that her husband, Mitt's father, "was on welfare relief for the first years of his life."

Mitt Romney's father and family were welfare "parasites" (according to Paul Ryan's definition)– now there's a testament to the Romneys that "they didn't build it themselves."

They abandoned the US for multiple marriages and then came back and went on the dole.

Mitt Romney wouldn't be a multi-billionaire today if it weren't for the federal aid safety network provided to his father, period.
The Bain Pain

Brooklyn, NY

#97 Sep 4, 2012
New York’s Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is investigating a number of financial companies — including Mitt Romney’s old private equity firm Bain Capital — that in the past decade avoided paying millions of dollars to both federal and state governments by executing a dubious tax avoidance strategy available only to very wealthy executives.
The investigation, first reported by the New York Times, brings a long-standing controversy over federal tax treatment of what’s known as “carried interest” back into the spot light. But it also raises state-level questions about why the New York attorney general is stomping on what is traditionally IRS or state-tax authority turf.
“[W]hat the hell is the Attorney General doing here?” asked Ed Kleinbard, a tax expert at USC’s Gould School of Law who has explained Romney’s controversial tax strategies to reporters on behalf of the Obama campaign.“I’m glad he’s shining light on this tax practice. But it’s not clear what his role is. These are tax issues. These are tax issues that should have been aggressively audited and litigated by the IRS.”
A source familiar with the New York probe explains that the Attorney General’s authority in this case stems jointly from the state’s False Claims Act and a more recent enhancement to that law called the Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act, which together empower the attorney general to bring actions against anyone who defrauds the government, and force them to pay triple damages and civil penalties back to the treasury.
Early in his term, Schneiderman stood up a Taxpayer Protection Bureau within his office and dedicated prosecutors to cracking down on companies that illegally skirt state tax laws — which many private equity firms may have.
The Bain Pain

Brooklyn, NY

#98 Sep 4, 2012
Con't

At issue is a practice — common in the private equity world — of converting compensation designated as earned income into “carried interest,” which, at the federal level, is often taxed as a long-term capital gain at a much lower rate of only 15 percent, but also enjoys different advantageous treatment in New York State.
Because financial lawyers have, for years, rested their guidance on lenient interpretations of the tax code, and because the IRS has done a poor job of policing practices like these, the question of whether private equity fund execs can legally convert their management fees into carried interest has never really been settled, according to Kleinbard. But a simple analogy suggests the practice should be forbidden in certain cases.
Imagine you receive a cash bonus at the end of every year. If late in December you ask your employer to alter the arrangement and provide the bonus in stock rather than cash, the IRS could cry foul. Since the bonus had already been earned (if not actualized) tax authorities might view the new arrangement as equivalent to cash compensation that was then used to purchase stock. That compensation would be taxed as ordinary income before it could be plied into an investment.
So timing matters.
“They took what was their compensation income and rolled it into carried interest, after that compensation had already been earned, very late in the year,” Kleinbard said.“I think the critical question is how late in the day — was the income already earned? I think the answer is yes. And I would’ve advised against that kind of structure.… Other firms either didn’t do it at all, or they did it the right way, by waiving their management fees in advance. You say in 2012 that you will waive your management fees in 2013.”
Victor Fleischer, a law professor at the University of Colorado — raised a similar objection after Gawker.com posted years worth of Bain financial documents that revealed Bain’s practice of rolling its management fees into carried interest. Schneiderman’s investigation began before the Gawker document dump, according to the Times.
The New York probe cuts right to this issue. It’s premised on the notion that when firms convert management fees into either carried or capital interest, they’re illegally evading state taxes. In the case of a capital interest conversion, the fees are simply not taxed at all. In the case of a carried interest transition, execs can defer taxation, and thus potentially reduce their tax burden.
Though the probe hinges on the question of whether private equity firm executives evaded state taxes, it indirectly discredits arguments in favor of the carried-interest loophole, which has been a controversial bug in federal tax policy for years.
ZCs

Brooklyn, NY

#99 Sep 4, 2012
Romney, you will get Repeal!

Scott Brown’s plans for an endorsement today by famed Lowell boxer Micky Ward, of “The Fighter” fame, were cancelled after Ward said he learned about the Massachusetts Republican’s stance on labor unions and gay marriage.

The Sun of Lowell reported this morning that Ward told the newspaper on Thursday he “admired Brown’s spirit and respected the way he could ‘go out there and listen and talk like a guy who is positive and wants to do right by us.’”

But the paper said Ward called back about a half-hour later to reverse his decision.

“I can’t support Scott Brown,” the newspaper quoted him as saying.“I just can’t do it.”

The former boxer added:“I found out Scott (Brown) is anti-union and I’m a Teamster guy. I found out he’s also against gay marriage, and I say if you love someone, you should have the same rights no matter who you are.”

As a state senator, Brown opposed gay marriage, but he recently voted in favor of repealing the military’s “don’t ask-don’t tell” ban on gays openly serving in the armed forces. He argues that gay marriage is settled law in Massachusetts, the first state to allow it.

And while Brown’s Democratic reelection opponent, Elizabeth Warren, enjoys support from some of her party’s traditional labor supporters, the senator - a former model - is himself a union member.

He has cultivated votes in working-class South Boston and touted his own backing by union laborers. And he says his top priority is job creation, which the senator has argued will benefit both union and non-union workers.

Brown spokeswoman Alleigh Marre said in a statement:“Scott Brown respects Micky Ward and respects his views.”

Ward has become a blue-collar folk hero not only in the Merrimack Valley but across the country for his boxing exploits, chronicled in an Academy Award-winning movie adaptation featuring actors Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Melissa Leo.

Brown, who has cultivated an everyman image during his two years in the Senate, mentioned today’s endorsement when he met with reporters on Thursday upon arriving in Tampa to attend the closing session of the Republican National Convention.

It was to come a week after Warren visited Arthur Ramalho’s West End Gym in Lowell - where Ward trained - to receive the endorsement of Lowell Mayor Patrick Murphy.

This morning, however, Brown’s staff would not tell the Globe where the Ward endorsement was to occur.

Shortly thereafter, The Sun published its blog post revealing that the event had been cancelled.
The Bain Pain

Brooklyn, NY

#100 Sep 4, 2012
Before Mitt Romney retired from Bain Capital, the enormously profitable investment firm he founded, he made sure to lock in his gains, both realized and expected, for years to come.

He did so, in part, the way millions of other Americans do — with the tax benefits of an individual retirement account. But he was able to turbocharge the impact of those advantages and other tax breaks in his severance package from Bain in a way that few but the country’s super-rich can ever hope to do.

As a result, his IRA could be worth as much as $87 million, according to his estimates, and he can continue to earn tax-advantaged income from Bain more than a decade after he formally left the firm.

The Republican presidential nominee has been “scrupulous” about observing the tax code, said Romney campaign spokeswoman Michele Davis.“His income is reported and taxed in full compliance with U.S. law, and he has paid 100 percent of what he has owed.” She added that the financial holdings of Romney and his wife, Ann, are managed by a blind trust the Romneys do not control.

Romney’s former colleagues say his retirement package is a well-justified reward for a chief executive who built Bain from scratch in 1984 into a financial powerhouse that backed business successes such as Staples and the Sports Authority.

The structure and tax treatment of his retirement, including the IRA, was legally sound and appropriate, they say, adding that he has earned less money over his career than some other top private-equity executives, who earned billions of dollars during the same period.

Details of Romney’s retirement assets are somewhat vague because he has released only one year of full tax returns and declined to provide additional specifics about his personal finances. But interviews with Bain executives and accounting professionals show that he was able to take advantage of tax benefits in innovative ways open only to a narrow slice of extremely affluent people — mostly those who work in private-equity firms and other investment partnerships.
The Bain Pain

Brooklyn, NY

#101 Sep 4, 2012
Repeal!!!

To uncover the true story behind the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's $10 million bailout of Mitt Romney and Bain & Company, Rolling Stone made a Freedom of Information Act request that forced the FDIC to release more than 500 of pages of records.(The government, which was owed more than $30 million in all, had become a creditor to Bain when it took over the failed Bank of New England in early 1991.)

Prior to releasing the documents, the FDIC allowed Bain & Company to scour and redact the records. Dozens of pages were blacked out entirely, on Bain's claim that these nearly two-decade-old records contain secret "commercial or financial information."
Teddy R

San Francisco, CA

#102 Sep 5, 2012
The Bain Pain wrote:
Before Mitt Romney retired from Bain Capital, bla bla bla bla bla ...(rest of plagiarized partisan propaganda rant snipped).
Yeah - the eeeevul Bain ...

And last night, the full depth of the Dem's shameless hypocrisy was on full display in the person of their Keynote Speaker Martin O’Malley:

"Dem. Keynote Speaker a Beneficiary of Bain Capital, Refuses to Release Tax Returns"
6:18 PM, Sep 4, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

"Maryland governor Martin O’Malley, who is giving a keynote address tonight at the Democratic convention in Charlotte, is a beneficiary of Bain Capital, the private equity firm Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney helped create."

"The irony is that Democrats have tried to argue, throughout this campaign, that Bain is bad—that the company has put other, smaller companies out business, and helped ship American jobs overseas."

"But, when O’Malley retires, he’ll receive $135,000 annually from the Maryland state retirement and pension system. He’ll be “collecting a $75,000 pension for serving as governor on top of the $60,000 annual pension he already receives for his terms as Baltimore City mayor and council member,” the Baltimore Sun reported last month."

"And at least part of that money will have come from Bain investments. Maryland’s state retirement and pension system has money in: theBain Capital Fund IX, the Bain Capital IX Co-Investment Fund, the Bain Capital Fund X, and the Bain Capital X Co-Investment Fund, according to retirement fund’s annual report."

"Additionally, O’Malley has not released his tax returns—another issue Democrats have tried to hold over the head of Romney, who so far has released only one year’s worth of tax returns."

Democrat - the Party of Hypocrisy.

Obama-Biden: Hope and Chains.

We get the government we deserve.

Logic

United States

#103 Sep 5, 2012
No one lies more than Romney, Ryan and the Republicans.
No one.
Logic

United States

#104 Sep 11, 2012
Repeal Romney. Repeal Ryan. Repeal these two dopes.

They Just don't care.

President O Bama! 2012

Right Power!
Poochburgers

Yonkers, NY

#105 Sep 12, 2012
Logic wrote:
No one lies more than Romney, Ryan and the Republicans.
No one.
Come in off the ledge and take your meds.

Your screaming fit is proof that you think they will win.
Logic

United States

#106 Sep 18, 2012
Repeal Romney don't-care

President Obama 2012!

Right Power!
The dog ate his game plan

Yonkers, NY

#107 Sep 18, 2012
Logic wrote:
Repeal Romney don't-care
President Obama 2012!
Right Power!
Bozo is going down, and all you have is a zombie-chant.

He just loss the balance of power in the Muslim world - and is trying to blame it on a home-made movie that less than two dozen people have ever seen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min Reality Speaks 312,792
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr FuMan Chu Yanks 334,387
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr Paris Cowboy 13,880
Why do FOX News woman dress like hookers (Jul '15) 2 hr Sommerville Sumsi... 141
PRESIDENT-ELECT STILL NOT TRENDING ! .. whaaaa ! 2 hr One Bad Hombre 1
Adult Breastfeeding relationships. 3 hr MilkyGirl 3
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 4 hr jimi-yank 5,727

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages