Official: Police chief headed probe on himself

Full story: Newsday

A former Suffolk County police official said he ordered complaints about the mishandling of a 1998 boat explosion that injured 11 officers to be investigated by the same commander who had ordered police onto the boat, as testimony continued Tuesday in a federal suit by one of the injured cops.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jul 22, 2009
wizzard

Wharton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Funny how THIS commentary is open, but anything 'sensitive' is NOT....freedom of press and speech??..you are the ultimate hypocrites NEWSDAY..what are you afraid of....oh yeah, the TRUTH.
More egg on the faces of SCPD brass...thats not even news anymore.
What the

Wharton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Oh, don't mind me I'm just another one of the bitter slobs that could't get on the SCPD so I deal with my insane jealousy by writing ignorant and desparate comments here. Aren't I sad?
THE FRITO BANDITO

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

How could he investigate it without knowing who was at the scene? Hhhhmmmmmmm?
Corrupt Govt

Oceanside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

I also have a herniated disk, and there are good days and bad days. Thats nothing unbelievable. There are days when I feel like i could go for a swim, and other days when I dont want to move. And his hip condition only contributes to his problem. Hes hurt and the way it was investigated is very poor.

There is no doubt that once these police officials get high in rank there is a large amount of corruption. These are all of the "old timers" who were cops when they behaved in ways that would either get them fired or put in jail in todays day and age. And once they get up there in rank it all becomes political, and politiciand are corrupt! The newer cops from within the last 15-20 years are nothing like this. These are the ones who are doing it right, something these chiefs could never do themselves.

Suffolks Dormer, is probably one of the worst i have ever seen. Thats saying a lot!
NO_BAMA

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Another suffolk cop BILKING the system trying to get something for nothing!!!!!!!
Southbound

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Raping the disability system. Wow, how unusual for civil service employees.
Steakumm

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

He said much of that activity was therapeutic and brief, unlike an eight-hour shift behind a desk.

Yeah OK Get back to work and stop whinning
melanie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Honesty IS the best policy. The facts ma'am nothing but the facts.
tired of it

Hackettstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Where in this country can you get away and find Honest people with a work ethic?? Anyone,anyone??

Certainly not in the South Eastern corner of New York
Edgar

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

This is the problem on Long island, particularly the Villages. The foxes guard the henhouse. There is no hope without significant reform, such as an independent State Prosecutor to investigate these departments.
Sure

Delhi, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Funny. I have a herniated disc that happened AFTER a back injury that left me with a permanent partial disablity by itself. I was first hurt in 1987 and have been in pain ever since. However, I was hurt in the private sector - my disability payments were laughable - certainly nothing close to enough to encourage me to quit working altogether. Now I've added a herniated disc. I work all day, go home, mow the lawn,(or shovel snow depending upon the season), clean the house, cook dinner, oversee homework, drive my daughter where-ever, etc. I even took my daughter to Disney, where I took Vicodin & flexeril to handle all the walking and the rides. Mind you, some days I get home from work and all I can do is hit the bed for some relief. Some days are so bad that jumping out a window starts looking like a solution. Those are the days when I can hardly get up out of my seat or walk 50 feet because the pain is so bad. But I do it. Some days I feel like someone is trying to cut me with a serated edged knife. Other days it feels like I'm sitting on a very sharp, very hot metal poker. Some days the weight of the blanket on my legs is too much to bear. But I still go to work everyday because sitting home with nothing but the pain sounds like death. This guy is just lazy! How dare he be out of work with full pay & benefits - and whine about it at the same time?

Since: Apr 07

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Judged:

Wow a P.O. bilking disablity and in suffolk no less, what a surpise. SCPD should be shut down under RICO. How many more of these over paid windbags are going to bilk the system before something is done?
It seems like ever few months another corrupt SCPD officer is highlighted as a victim.

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

tired of it wrote:
Where in this country can you get away and find Honest people with a work ethic?? Anyone,anyone??
Certainly not in the South Eastern corner of New York
NJ isn't mush better.

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

*much
silly post

Oceanside, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Sure wrote:
Funny. I have a herniated disc that happened AFTER a back injury that left me with a permanent partial disablity by itself. I was first hurt in 1987 and have been in pain ever since. However, I was hurt in the private sector - my disability payments were laughable - certainly nothing close to enough to encourage me to quit working altogether. Now I've added a herniated disc. I work all day, go home, mow the lawn,(or shovel snow depending upon the season), clean the house, cook dinner, oversee homework, drive my daughter where-ever, etc. I even took my daughter to Disney, where I took Vicodin & flexeril to handle all the walking and the rides. Mind you, some days I get home from work and all I can do is hit the bed for some relief. Some days are so bad that jumping out a window starts looking like a solution. Those are the days when I can hardly get up out of my seat or walk 50 feet because the pain is so bad. But I do it. Some days I feel like someone is trying to cut me with a serated edged knife. Other days it feels like I'm sitting on a very sharp, very hot metal poker. Some days the weight of the blanket on my legs is too much to bear. But I still go to work everyday because sitting home with nothing but the pain sounds like death. This guy is just lazy! How dare he be out of work with full pay & benefits - and whine about it at the same time?
Im sorry you had to take Vicodin to go on Space Mountain! How sad.
And you can go to work with a bad back and be in pain and still get on with life. It does suck and I'm sorry that that happened to you. Not good at all.

I think cops probably have it a little different.
When I was getting my a s' s kicked by some maniac who broke into my house and awoke me in my sleep only to start beating me, thank god after my wife called 911 the 1st cop that showed up and was able to help me and wasnt disabled and didnt show up with a cane.

It may not be a perfect system, but we need cops and fireman who are physically capable of doing their jobs to keep our safety intact. Sitting at a computer or at a desk doesnt quite carry that same merit, and as much as it sucks only entitles you to disability if you choose.

And reading the story I see that the person in charge of the investigation was investigating himself! That tells me something was being covered up and this Chief did something wrong that they buried. Cant blame this cop for wanting the truth.
Suffolk

Valley Stream, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

Isn't this the same Suffolk police officer who was named in a racial and sexual harassment case that was settled out of court a few years ago?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

58 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The United Hates of America (Sep '10) 10 min ILAL 1,444
The Three R's: Reichwing Republican Rants (Sep '10) 21 min ILAL 1,157
Reasons to cheer For President Obama One, Two..... (Apr '12) 32 min suziexxxx 695
im lonely ;) 50 min suziexxxx 1
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 56 min UN Must Go 14,685
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr the Don 307,071
Debate: Ferguson - New York, NY 1 hr shameless 24
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 16 hr LIfan 10,307
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••