Ex-prison guard supervisor found guil...

Ex-prison guard supervisor found guilty in NYC jailhouse attack -

There are 87 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 25, 2007, titled Ex-prison guard supervisor found guilty in NYC jailhouse attack -. In it, Newsday reports that:

A jury in federal court in Brooklyn found Salvatore Lopresti guilty of civil rights violations, obstruction of justice and making false statements in the 2002 attack.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Wally Young

Jersey City, NJ

#44 Nov 17, 2007
What Gives wrote:
<quoted text>
No they are not Special Agents. But they are men and women who go to work everyday dealing with the dreds of society. Mostly working with a ratio of 125 I/M's to 1 Officer. Give credit where credit is do. Hands down it's not an easy job.
Well said, I tip my hat to you.
loner_

Orlando, FL

#45 Dec 5, 2007
For all the people at MDC keep your heads up,as far as the people on this case, I have worked with all of them and they are all great people. The gov is making them out to be monsters. They are not. You will never know how it really is till you work behind those walls, with a unit of 120 and all you have is a key and a radio. Some of you really have it worng and its too bad, none of these guys deserve this. And who really cares about having a gun have, some of you cant shoot for SH@T.I wish these guys all the best and for the four the plead guilty, you know what you had to do for you. In the end it is true your on your own when it comes down to it. For the two that flipped well all I can say is, I know the presure the Gov can put on you and I saw how the GOV destroyed your lives, I talk to the one that lost it all, house ,car, wife all for some thug. But you have to live with it.I still have love for you guys all. Take care and be strong cause the ride is not over yet....... ONE
MR NY

Westbury, NY

#46 Dec 6, 2007
loner_ wrote:
For all the people at MDC keep your heads up,as far as the people on this case, I have worked with all of them and they are all great people. The gov is making them out to be monsters. They are not. You will never know how it really is till you work behind those walls, with a unit of 120 and all you have is a key and a radio. Some of you really have it worng and its too bad, none of these guys deserve this. And who really cares about having a gun have, some of you cant shoot for SH@T.I wish these guys all the best and for the four the plead guilty, you know what you had to do for you. In the end it is true your on your own when it comes down to it. For the two that flipped well all I can say is, I know the presure the Gov can put on you and I saw how the GOV destroyed your lives, I talk to the one that lost it all, house ,car, wife all for some thug. But you have to live with it.I still have love for you guys all. Take care and be strong cause the ride is not over yet....... ONE
They destroyed their own life when they thought it was ok to beat the crap out of a "thug".

A smart person would have pause and said, "you know what, I'm not going to throw away my life/career b/c of this thug/loser".

They did it b/c they thought they would have gotten away with it.

How many people did they beat-down b4 getting caught in their lies?

They should have been the smart ones and know better.

I don't feel sorry for them.
Paul

New York, NY

#47 Dec 6, 2007
MR NY wrote:
<quoted text>
They destroyed their own life when they thought it was ok to beat the crap out of a "thug".
A smart person would have pause and said, "you know what, I'm not going to throw away my life/career b/c of this thug/loser".
They did it b/c they thought they would have gotten away with it.
How many people did they beat-down b4 getting caught in their lies?
They should have been the smart ones and know better.
I don't feel sorry for them.
Couldnt agree more, they were in the position of power and responsibilty yet chose to ignore it.

Say goodbye to that sweet pension
The real deal

Red Bank, NJ

#48 Dec 12, 2007
Let me just tell you all, you can sit down at a computer type whatever you want, sound as tuff as you want, get as high on your soap box as you want. The real deal is, until you find yourself in the middle of something you were not meant to be in the middle of, and your faced with taking care of the officers who literaly put their lives on the line day in and day out, dealing with extremely violent inmates, what are you going to do? Any of you who are bad mouthing these people know them? I can tell you, you don't! From the sounds of it most of you have never been in any type of tense situation. The BOP does not take care of it's people, it sets them up for failure through years of past practice. When, high ranking officials walk around talking about how they beat inmates when they were coming up through the ranks, and young impressionable officers hear these remarks they get the wrong idea how to do their jobs. How, can you combat that? You, can tell the officers everyday you come to work, walk away, walk away. But, when they hear comments or watch actions of those who are high ranking officals act, and see the rank they are, they get the wrong ideas. I'd like to see everyone that works in law enforcement, any type walk one week in any of these officers shoes. You watch inmates deficate in their hands then eat it, or throw it on you, or cover themselves in it, when they are coming after you. You watch and inmate stab anyother over and over again, you watch an inmate rape someone and not be able to stop it, you watch an officer get beat down so bad he/she is barely alive, and not be able to get in through the door to help them. The prison environment drains you more and more everyday, there are studies out their, why don't some of you that have no clue spend sometime looking into that on the internet instead of bad mouthing people who you know nothing about!
MR NY

Westbury, NY

#49 Dec 13, 2007
The real deal wrote:
Let me just tell you all, you can sit down at a computer type whatever you want, sound as tuff as you want, get as high on your soap box as you want. The real deal is, until you find yourself in the middle of something you were not meant to be in the middle of, and your faced with taking care of the officers who literaly put their lives on the line day in and day out, dealing with extremely violent inmates, what are you going to do? Any of you who are bad mouthing these people know them? I can tell you, you don't! From the sounds of it most of you have never been in any type of tense situation. The BOP does not take care of it's people, it sets them up for failure through years of past practice. When, high ranking officials walk around talking about how they beat inmates when they were coming up through the ranks, and young impressionable officers hear these remarks they get the wrong idea how to do their jobs. How, can you combat that? You, can tell the officers everyday you come to work, walk away, walk away. But, when they hear comments or watch actions of those who are high ranking officals act, and see the rank they are, they get the wrong ideas. I'd like to see everyone that works in law enforcement, any type walk one week in any of these officers shoes. You watch inmates deficate in their hands then eat it, or throw it on you, or cover themselves in it, when they are coming after you. You watch and inmate stab anyother over and over again, you watch an inmate rape someone and not be able to stop it, you watch an officer get beat down so bad he/she is barely alive, and not be able to get in through the door to help them. The prison environment drains you more and more everyday, there are studies out their, why don't some of you that have no clue spend sometime looking into that on the internet instead of bad mouthing people who you know nothing about!
I can only speak for myself.....

I am not bad mouthing them, I just don't condone their actions.

When you are sworn in any position you are told how you should carry yourself and what you can and can not do.

A smart person will not break the law just b/c someone higher that them in rank breaks the law.

Counseling is available for them if they are having a traumatic time on the job. It's never ok to kick someones ass just b/c you're having a bad day, or b/c they are acting up (this is the "Box" was made for).

I never said they were bad guys. They broke the law and that is something that you must accept.

No one is above the law.

I don't feel sorry for them.
MR NY

Westbury, NY

#50 Dec 13, 2007
correction

-this is why jails have the "Box".-
Virginia

United States

#51 Dec 13, 2007
I now worked in a local jail here one third the size of MDC Brooklyn. The only thing I can ask those who bad mouth the CO's, staff, and execs at MDC Brooklyn is to look at the statistics. MDC Brooklyn is listed in the book Top 10 of Everything. It is the largest Federal Detention Center. They move over eleven thousand inmates a year and they do this day after day for the past 14 years or so. Do you think that was luck or perhaps they know what they're doing?
Sun Of The Beach

New Rochelle, NY

#52 Dec 13, 2007
Lets see how he does on the inside looking out
AKA LIEUTENANT LITTLES

United States

#53 Dec 13, 2007
I WORKED WITH MOST OF THE DEFENDANTS UNTIL 2001, BEFORE THE RODNEY KING BEATING IF AN INMATE BECAME DIS-RUPTIVE WE WOULD USE THE NECESSARY FORCE TO GET THE INMATE TO RESPECT AUTHORITY. NOW THERE ARE ALL THESE NEW POLICIES AND PROCEDURES. THE FEDERAL SYSTEM AND LAWS ARE TOO NICE TO FELONS. BY THE WAY D WHITE IS A GOOD CAPTAIN EVEN IF HE SLEPT ON THE JOB AS A LIEUTENAT. WHAT ABOUT LIEUTENANTS NARED, PITT, TESSSEL, WE ALL SLEPT ON 3RD SHIFT,IT WAS OUR ONLY TIME OF PEACE IN THE NUT HOUSE, SMILE!!!!
The real deal

Edison, NJ

#54 Dec 15, 2007
Mr NY, I guess you never been black listed from promotions, pay grade increase, lateral movements, ect...I am not saying it's alright to beat anyone, I don't condone that, but don't believe everything you read, not all is quilty.
The real deal

Edison, NJ

#55 Dec 15, 2007
sorry, guilty
Run26-2

Floral Park, NY

#56 Dec 15, 2007
I was the first group to get hired at the the newly constructed MCC in 1976 after the big move from West Street.

Great officers, but poorly run agency with extremely high turnover. The lack of training is almost criminal.

BTW, regardless what patch you wear-FD, PD. CO, etc, at least half steady midnight people catch sleep sometimes. That's just the way it is.
Paradox

Nashville, TN

#58 Dec 15, 2007
Paradox

Nashville, TN

#59 Dec 15, 2007
To all

United States

#60 Jan 3, 2008
Not sure I ever met anyone who transferred from Brooklyn to FCI anywhere else in order to get their Lieutenant promotion (cuffs). From what I gather, it's usually the opposite. If you had worked in MDC Brooklyn, for even one week, without being completely asleep during the time, you would know that no other prison in the BOP could hold a candle to this place. We happen to be the second largest facility in the nation and largest pretrial facility. We are constantly being scrutinized in the eyes of the media and despite the pressure, we've never had an escape. In fact, the executive staff that have served here tend to assume some of the most important, prestiguous and influential positions (too many to name). It's comical when I hear staff come from other BOP facilities and are absolutely flabergasted by the size and complexity that is MDC Brooklyn. Despite our shortcomings, we do a great job day in and day out. By the way, have you ever been in a family that wasn't disfuncional to at least some degree. Everybody has a crazy brother or cousin, but that doesn't define the family name. I highly doubt you've been here (cuffs) and if you were, it certainly was not working around inmates on a constant basis. If you're a lieutenant now, you were probably one of those eights that sat in the Lieutenant's office or hid in some other hole in the wall. Living life? Maybe demoted for credit troubles or decided to sell trailers. Either way, probably not who you say you are. To all others, walk in these shoes before casting judgement. We do the job that others couldn't do and proud of it. For the guy who says we can't carry off duty, read LEOSA.

Fostering
Understanding through
Cooperation and
Knowledge

United!!!!
MR NY

Westbury, NY

#61 Jan 4, 2008
The real deal wrote:
Mr NY, I guess you never been black listed from promotions, pay grade increase, lateral movements, ect...I am not saying it's alright to beat anyone, I don't condone that, but don't believe everything you read, not all is quilty.
So I guess it's ok to for nurses to kick the crap out of the old people they swear to oversee when they get black listed from promotions, pay grade increase, lateral movements, ect...

In a just society you must be held accountable for your actions,good or bad.
Pizzuto

Washington, DC

#62 Jan 4, 2008
CO's have had to curb their tactics after the DOJ got involved in Nassau County and the Pizzuto case. Most CO's don't want to admit what happened there. They beat him to death and then tried to blame the NURSES for his death, when all the nurses did was take one look at him, realize he didn't FALL DOWN like they said he did, and sent him immediately to the hospital. To this day the CO's pretend it didn't happen that way. HOWEVER, let's not forget that the jails are filled with CRIMINALS, not do-gooders, and they sometimes need to be handled with some degree of force. I only hope many of the obese CO's aren't sleeping or reading the newspaper when something serious takes place. As for the female CO's, they just don't have what it takes to handle threatening situations. Guns or no guns.
The real deal

Toms River, NJ

#63 Jan 4, 2008
Mr NY
You mis-read my statements; as I figured you would. I think you need to wake up! There is no such thing as a just society! Just look at the President, and Vice President and their associates and what they have done to the world!
LT- then moved on

New York, NY

#64 Jan 11, 2008
Hold up, this White guy talks a little talk, but hey come on now. Let me tell you I jailed for 13 years with the BOP. Staff are the best, except the few, but they get walked out, maintain your blue line. A jailer is a jailer. I feel for the brothers who are getting hit with bull. A fellow CO was attacked and they tried to do the right thing. As for carring, well White BOP can carry legally and always could. Players like you always put them down. We enforce the law behind the scenes. Someone has to do it. A brother in blue is a brother in blue, apparently you left your blue home. U never down play another brother in blue. Admin, well it is a management position, not a Law Enforcement one, they are paid for their "managaement skills".. You need to quit and go work for the sanitation dept, cause u talking crap...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Three R's: Reichwing Republican Rants (Sep '10) 2 min ILAL 1,529
Ode to Bush (Mar '09) 7 min ILAL 1,875
The United Hates of America (Sep '10) 14 min ILAL 1,679
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 15 min Wun Hung Lo 316,759
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min IBdaMann 53,593
Run,Run, Run, The Republicans are Coming! (Jan '11) 17 min ILAL 1,773
Another Republican Bites the Dust!! (Dec '11) 25 min ILAL 496
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER 5 hr Comrade deBlowzio 4,182
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]