Juno Beach, FL(Winter)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

Question wrote:
Few teams truly read the option in "triple" fashion on the college level.
When you see a team under the center, in the flexbone you are probably seeing at most 50% triple option.. The majority of the plays are double option (speed/counter/midline keep - type options).
The flexbone teams such as Navy are running a ton of zone dive as well. The perimeter answer against many teams for Navy and even Army has been to run rocket toss.
It is an interesting reference to Tiger Ellison and his Run N' Shoot philosophy. People laughed at the offense back in the days of the USFL. Even the loud and proud Ryan family (starting with Buddy) called it the chuck and duck. Truth be told, all you are seeing now in the "spread" are Run n' Shoot principles - largely the work of the great Mouse Davis.
Tiger Ellison was not an option guy. He was a coach in a panic who was in danger of getting fired as a high school coach. He went with the Lonesome Polecat for the 2nd half of a season. Later on he would evolve to the Run N' Shoot.
If you are going to draw a parallel between the R&S and the Option, consider that both are based on the principle of "run where they ain't". Simply speaking in both the pass and run game, allow the defense to establish leverage and take advantage of that with blocking angles and pass routes.
Ellison always said that the most unstoppable offense would be one that merged the Run N' Shoot with the Triple Option. The problem, of course, is practice time. How do you work on both and become masters in each area?
It usually ends up one or the other (open pass game or option run game). If you want to see a flex bone team in person, just take a trip over to Kings Point. They run the flex bone.
USMMA? Wow, that's a team I haven't heard about since former HC George Paterno and All Pro-Linebacker (Denver Bronocos)Joe Rizzo where there. I think they run the horizontal stretch, with a touch of the old double wing spread, not the flex bone.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

thank you X-FACTOR for the wonderful season.you showed them.especially the white girls
bigtool

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

Judged:

Almost forgot casella how was the possum with longo and bedel?
PMed

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

bigtool wrote:
Almost forgot casella how was the possum with longo and bedel?
Another stupid bigtool post as he sits in front of his computer, violently masturbating in his moms basement.
True talk is right, you are a coward
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

PMed wrote:
<quoted text> Another stupid bigtool post as he sits in front of his computer, violently masturbating in his moms basement.
True talk is right, you are a coward
that was not my post its from Medford--but I agree with it--possem is great.
Suff III

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

that was not my post its from Medford--but I agree with it--possem is great.

TROLL
WI Fan

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Any truth to the rumor that Catholic Schools will start to have their own "MVP" trophy and the Hansen and Thorpe will only go to public school kids??
SCFB

Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2013

WI Fan wrote:
Any truth to the rumor that Catholic Schools will start to have their own "MVP" trophy and the Hansen and Thorpe will only go to public school kids??
Not really, but IF Newsday decides to award either the Thorpe or Hansen to a Catholic kid, they must also now recognize a public school player. So there is always the possibility of 3 awards each season.
Suff III

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2013

Not really, but IF Newsday decides to award either the Thorpe or Hansen to a Catholic kid, they must also now recognize a public school player. So there is always the possibility of 3 awards each season.

When is the last time a public school player got an award like MVP of the Catholic school leagues????
Joey D

Roselle Park, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2013

WI Fan wrote:
They should undoubtedly have their own trophy. No offense to St. Anthony's, but I am getting pretty tired of Gregg Sarra and Newsday treating them like they are the Don Bosco or Bergen Catholic of Long Island. The fact of the matter is that they go 11-1 every year beating up teams like Mongsenior Farrell, Stepinac and St Joseph's by the Sea. They have two tough games every year. If their schedule was Sachem North, Floyd, Longwood, Pat Med, EI, Riverhead, Connetquot, Sayville? How good would they be? They wouldn't be 11-1, I will tell you that. This is not New Jersey. In jersey, the privates would beat a lot of the publics. Not here. If we played St Anthony's regularly they would get beat A LOT. I am not saying that St Anthony's is not a great program because they are. That doesn't mean that they are always the best on Long Island. It's apple and oranges. Jordan Gowins is a great player I'm sure but he played against inferior competition. Just like Jake Carlock did, and he is another great player. It's very tough to say, but I would love to see Jordan Gowins in Suffolk DI or even Carlock. Not sure they would dominate like a Malik Pierre or Connor Coughlin. And if St Anthony's played in Suffolk D1 every year, I'd love to see how many LI Championships they would have. I'm betting not that many.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Joey D wrote:
<quoted text> They should undoubtedly have their own trophy. No offense to St. Anthony's, but I am getting pretty tired of Gregg Sarra and Newsday treating them like they are the Don Bosco or Bergen Catholic of Long Island. The fact of the matter is that they go 11-1 every year beating up teams like Mongsenior Farrell, Stepinac and St Joseph's by the Sea. They have two tough games every year. If their schedule was Sachem North, Floyd, Longwood, Pat Med, EI, Riverhead, Connetquot, Sayville? How good would they be? They wouldn't be 11-1, I will tell you that. This is not New Jersey. In jersey, the privates would beat a lot of the publics. Not here. If we played St Anthony's regularly they would get beat A LOT. I am not saying that St Anthony's is not a great program because they are. That doesn't mean that they are always the best on Long Island. It's apple and oranges. Jordan Gowins is a great player I'm sure but he played against inferior competition. Just like Jake Carlock did, and he is another great player. It's very tough to say, but I would love to see Jordan Gowins in Suffolk DI or even Carlock. Not sure they would dominate like a Malik Pierre or Connor Coughlin. And if St Anthony's played in Suffolk D1 every year, I'd love to see how many LI Championships they would have. I'm betting not that many.
would love to see them play the great tom flatly and garden city
SCFB

Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

Suff III wrote:
When is the last time a public school player got an award like MVP of the Catholic school leagues????
Never...but the Hansen/Thorpe awards are NOT solely public awards...they are NEWSDAY awards. Just ask Greg Sarra...
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2014

yea its sarra's fault that long island players stink.
Suff III

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2014

You do not have to stop a high powered Offense. Just ask George O'Leary. All you need to do is out score them.. Congrats. to UCF
patmed

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2014

Great job again Combs. Way to look out for student athletes.

Since: Jan 14

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
No question the Hansen should've gone to Bosch in 1992. He broke the single season rushing record(2,045 yards) and the career rushing record(5,282 yards) in 1992. Was named All Long Island in 1991(DB) & 1992(RB) and helped win the first Class I LIC when Connetquot beat Farmingdale 27-0. He played a big part in that game not only offensively but defensively. Jamie Lynch was a good player, but nowhere near his backfield mate, Brian Barlitz or Chad Bosch.
I also agree that Bosch should have won the Hansen in 1992. I was also a senior that season (in Wantagh) and my ex coach/gym teacher coached Longwood and would always talk about this little guy from Connetquot. I didn't think much of it but I remember seeing the Long Island champ game on good 'ol LISN. There was alot of talk about the running back he was playing against, Mike Townsend who in his own season that year, showed some magic and probably also got snubbed from the Thorpe award.
I didn't see Bosch's best stuff that day but I saw that the Islip QB won the Hansen and his stats didn't look that convincing compared to Bosch's.

That next couple years, Bosch and I both played at Nassau CC (Townsend played there also)and I got to see him up close and personal. I was sold even more that he was much more deserving of the award. As a defensive back, I even got victimized by him at times in practice. He still has done things in the game that I haven't seen done before. Compared to the talent, speed, and size of the NCC players, Bosch is tiny. When he got to NCC, he rolled with the wideouts in camp. It made sense, he didn't look the college running back type. It was only a matter of time that his toughness showed and they ran him as running back. He never looked back. They gave him #44 which wasn't his number. He used to write # 27 on his arm on game day and the coach spotted it during a pregame. He then searched out the player who owned # 27 and made him trade it.
My younger brother and I are big Bosch fans. I obviously played with him and admired his talents but my brother looked up to him. He would watch Bosch's NCC highlight reel as much as watching Barry Sanders. My brother was a different type of running back but he didn't wear gloves or wristbands or tape, or anything extra. Bosch was like that when he played. Totally old school, white cleats and all. He used to call it "going Bosch".

If anyone has a clip reel of this guy's Connequot career, it's be interested in obtaining a copy. I never saw anything of him at Connequot besides the LIC but I heard stories from people who played against him.
Nassau 3

East Rockaway, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

Does anyone know if the Commack track coach that was arrested for sexual abuse (Brian Tornee) the same person who caught most of Prahalis passes in 2000 for Commack?
Suff III

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

I didn't see Bosch's best stuff that day but I saw that the Islip QB won the Hansen and his stats didn't look that convincing compared to Bosch's.
That next couple years, Bosch and I both played at Nassau CC (Townsend played there also)and I got to see him up close and personal. I was sold even more that he was much more deserving of the award. As a defensive back, I even got victimized by him at times in practice. He still has done things in the game that I haven't seen done before. Compared to the talent, speed, and size of the NCC players, Bosch is tiny. When he got to NCC, he rolled with the wideouts in camp. It made sense, he didn't look the college running back type. It was only a matter of time that his toughness showed and they ran him as running back. He never looked back. They gave him #44 which wasn't his number. He used to write # 27 on his arm on game day and the coach spotted it during a pregame. He then searched out the player who owned # 27 and made him trade it.
My younger brother and I are big Bosch fans. I obviously played with him and admired his talents but my brother looked up to him. He would watch Bosch's NCC highlight reel as much as watching Barry Sanders. My brother was a different type of running back but he didn't wear gloves or wristbands or tape, or anything extra. Bosch was like that when he played. Totally old school, white cleats and all. He used to call it "going Bosch".
If anyone has a clip reel of this guy's Connequot career, it's be interested in obtaining a copy. I never saw anything of him at Connequot besides the LIC but I heard stories from people who played against him.

Jamie Lynch the current coach at Islip won the Hansen award. He was not the best player on Islip that Year. RB, defensive monster,Brian Barlitz was. I saw Bosch play a few times, he was amazing. He had the best spin out of tackles I have ever seen. Every play to the outside would be at least 7 yds. because he would spin out of the tackle and make more yardage. In the LIC against the mighty Farmingdale he was playing injured and showed how unstoppable he was, limping around the field all day, making it look easy.

I think the reason Bosch didn't win the Hansen was his age. Too many people knew he was too old to qualify for HS football. and Lynch's brother was making a splash playing for Hofstra and politics was the deciding factor.
Suff III

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

Does anyone know if the Commack track coach that was arrested for sexual abuse (Brian Tornee) the same person who caught most of Prahalis passes in 2000 for Commack?

Old bussiness:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/central-islip...
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

WOW its him WOW

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE