New Sailor

Columbus, OH

#7977 Oct 8, 2013
So the "liberal media" also won a $765MM lawsuit against the NFL? Come on man, many ex-NFL players have said publicly they wouldn't let their own kids play tackle because of their own experiences even at the high school level. Don't be naive or are you just being antagonistic just because you're a tool?

Football is dangerous and the science is their to prove it, anyone that played a single season could attest to the head trama that you are exposed to even if it's not a concussion and even if you know how to properly keep your head up there are incidental blows that take their toll.
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>don' worry about it in a few years after the liberal media starts their campaign to ban football a team will be lucky to get 20 kids out.football in the northeast is in trouble I am sorry to say.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#7978 Oct 8, 2013
New Sailor wrote:
So the "liberal media" also won a $765MM lawsuit against the NFL? Come on man, many ex-NFL players have said publicly they wouldn't let their own kids play tackle because of their own experiences even at the high school level. Don't be naive or are you just being antagonistic just because you're a tool?
Football is dangerous and the science is their to prove it, anyone that played a single season could attest to the head trama that you are exposed to even if it's not a concussion and even if you know how to properly keep your head up there are incidental blows that take their toll.
<quoted text>
I love football I loved loved playing it I enjoyed the contact that even now to this day I miss it.but I am very thankful my sons did not play so figure it out.it will be a black southern sport within 15 years,because fathers aren't there to say no.white kids in texas,texas are going to lacrosse in huge numbers go figure it out.
New Sailor

Columbus, OH

#7979 Oct 8, 2013
Fair point. Youth flag football leagues will prosper.

Can anyone recommend a good one for when my son is old enough. Something other than liffl.com .
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>I love football I loved loved playing it I enjoyed the contact that even now to this day I miss it.but I am very thankful my sons did not play so figure it out.it will be a black southern sport within 15 years,because fathers aren't there to say no.white kids in texas,texas are going to lacrosse in huge numbers go figure it out.
suffolkIII

West Islip, NY

#7980 Oct 8, 2013
Port Washington school put a ban on balls being played with at break time. Only nerf toys can be used. That is what is ruining sports. laws and rules that are redidulous!!!!
An Old Sailor

Valley Stream, NY

#7982 Oct 8, 2013
I am not making the argument for everyone to play. We had that argument on this forum a few years ago. My argument is the fact that the spread offense is becoming unstoppable and perhaps the fact that the same 15 kids are playing both offense and defense you have tired athletes on the field.
If you had the time to really teach and enough coaches per team, you could have separate offensive and defensive units, that's all I'm saying.
Also, the argument about population based conferences really doesn't hold up when you look at it and see the majority of teams regardless of school size play the same kids both ways.
I am not an advocate of everybody playing. If the score and situation dictate clearing your bench, do so. There will be plenty of games when you can't and those boys don't get to play. But, until you have fresh athletes on defense, the spread will wear down the best players.
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7983 Oct 8, 2013
2013 NYSSWA Football Ranking (Thru Oct. 6)

Class AA:

#4 Sachem North
#6 Farmingdale
#19 Smithtown West
#22 Patchogue-Medford
#24 East Islip
$25 Massapequa

Class A:

#4 Carey
#5 Plainedge
#7 Lawrence
#12 Miller Place
#18 Islip
#21 Garden City

Class B:

#6 Roosevelt
#13 West Hempstead

Class C:

#2 Babylon
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7984 Oct 8, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
I am not making the argument for everyone to play. We had that argument on this forum a few years ago. My argument is the fact that the spread offense is becoming unstoppable and perhaps the fact that the same 15 kids are playing both offense and defense you have tired athletes on the field.
If you had the time to really teach and enough coaches per team, you could have separate offensive and defensive units, that's all I'm saying.
Also, the argument about population based conferences really doesn't hold up when you look at it and see the majority of teams regardless of school size play the same kids both ways.
I am not an advocate of everybody playing. If the score and situation dictate clearing your bench, do so. There will be plenty of games when you can't and those boys don't get to play. But, until you have fresh athletes on defense, the spread will wear down the best players.
The numerous variations of the Spread Offenses is causing problems for everyone in football (NFL, College and HS). As you can see the yards produced in the passing game is insane. When I played if out QB threw for 125 yards it was considered a big deal. Today the norm is 300, 400 and even 500 yard passing games. Coaches are going to have to teach a whole different defense. I also believe that the refs are going to have to give the defense some more leeway. Too many questionable holding calls. I witnessed a lot of questionable calls last weekend.
An Old Sailor

Valley Stream, NY

#7985 Oct 8, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
The numerous variations of the Spread Offenses is causing problems for everyone in football (NFL, College and HS). As you can see the yards produced in the passing game is insane. When I played if out QB threw for 125 yards it was considered a big deal. Today the norm is 300, 400 and even 500 yard passing games. Coaches are going to have to teach a whole different defense. I also believe that the refs are going to have to give the defense some more leeway. Too many questionable holding calls. I witnessed a lot of questionable calls last weekend.
You are right about that. However, watch a Nassau County high school game and you see the heavy breathing and panting between plays. Time outs become a water drill as they scream for water. The players get no rest at all and add that in as a factor at the High School level here on Long Island. I am sure it contributes to helping the offensive numbers. You probably can tell me, outside of Long Island, do you see more seperate offense and defensive units?
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7987 Oct 8, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about that. However, watch a Nassau County high school game and you see the heavy breathing and panting between plays. Time outs become a water drill as they scream for water. The players get no rest at all and add that in as a factor at the High School level here on Long Island. I am sure it contributes to helping the offensive numbers. You probably can tell me, outside of Long Island, do you see more seperate offense and defensive units?
I would have to say that in states like FL, CA, TX, OH, PA, that a vast majority of them have separate offenses and defenses. My sister and brother-in-law live in Lakeland, FL. Lakeland HS has a 104-8 record, with three State Titles, since 2004. They average around 65 players on a roster per year. I know a school like St. Thomas Aquinas has 103 on their roster. Most of the above states live and die for football, this really doesn' happen in the Northeast. All these schools have Spring practice in May for a month with a final game at the end of Spring ball.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#7988 Oct 9, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to say that in states like FL, CA, TX, OH, PA, that a vast majority of them have separate offenses and defenses. My sister and brother-in-law live in Lakeland, FL. Lakeland HS has a 104-8 record, with three State Titles, since 2004. They average around 65 players on a roster per year. I know a school like St. Thomas Aquinas has 103 on their roster. Most of the above states live and die for football, this really doesn' happen in the Northeast. All these schools have Spring practice in May for a month with a final game at the end of Spring ball.
is your brother-law black because Lakeland is a black school who produce more d1's in one year then long island does in a decade
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7989 Oct 9, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>is your brother-law black because Lakeland is a black school who produce more d1's in one year then long island does in a decade
Lakeland, Florida is 65% white, not that it makes a difference, maybe 19% black and 12% hispanic.
observer

Hauppauge, NY

#7990 Oct 9, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the WAAC mentality (Win At All Cost) that leads coaches to playing to many kids on both sides of the ball, and it's not just HS. This starts, and is prevalent in every youth league game I've witnessed. Coaches think it's about THEM, as opposed to building a PROGRAM.
observer

Hauppauge, NY

#7991 Oct 9, 2013
suffolkIII wrote:
buddy k please,i wonder how many of his ass't coaches are waiting for him to retire.he better win it all this year or bye bye buddy.
why would this year be any different??? Power football era is over, read Gregg Sara's article about the spread. Put 9 in the box and you stop the power offenses.
someone needs to send this message to Terry Manning
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7992 Oct 9, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
2013 NYSSWA Football Ranking (Thru Oct. 6)
Class AA:
#4 Sachem North
#6 Farmingdale
#19 Smithtown West
#22 Patchogue-Medford
#24 East Islip
$25 Massapequa
Class A:
#4 Carey
#5 Plainedge
#7 Lawrence
#12 Miller Place
#18 Islip
#21 Garden City
Class B:
#6 Roosevelt
#13 West Hempstead
Class C:
#2 Babylon
I was going over some of my stats, I was trying to figure out how NYSSWA ranked Sachem North over Farmingdale. If you look at the four games each team has played you will see that Farmingdale has played a tougher schedule.

#2 Farmingdale (4-0) points for/against 147-35, strenght of schedule (opponents combined won/loss records) 11-5. Beat #8 Plainview JFK (2-2),#3 Oceanside (3-1),#6 Syosset (3-1) and #1 Massapequa (3-1). This Saturday Farmingdale travels to #5 Baldwin.

#2 Sachem North (4-0) points for/against 140-78, strength of schedule (opponents combined won/loss records) 7-9. Beat #8 Sachem East (1-3),#3 Connetquot (3-1),#6 Longwood (1-3) and #4 Northport (2-2). This Friday night SN plays #10 Commack @ SN.

Not sure what criteria they use for ranking LI teams in their weekly ranking polls.
VoteVets Org

Brooklyn, NY

#7993 Oct 9, 2013
suffolkIII wrote:
Port Washington school put a ban on balls being played with at break time. Only nerf toys can be used. That is what is ruining sports. laws and rules that are redidulous!!!!
Yes
An Old Sailor

Valley Stream, NY

#7994 Oct 9, 2013
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the WAAC mentality (Win At All Cost) that leads coaches to playing to many kids on both sides of the ball, and it's not just HS. This starts, and is prevalent in every youth league game I've witnessed. Coaches think it's about THEM, as opposed to building a PROGRAM.
No argument here from me. The one thing that they wil tell you is that they just don't have the time or the coaches to have what in essence is two different teams.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#7995 Oct 9, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lakeland, Florida is 65% white, not that it makes a difference, maybe 19% black and 12%
wow 65% white where are they? I was there last year and didn't see too many white faces--please its black and football is king.
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7996 Oct 9, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>wow 65% white where are they? I was there last year and didn't see too many white faces--please its black and football is king.
Not sure where you were, but even the High Schools around the area of Lakeland are predominately white( Auburndale HS, Highland City HS, Plant City HS, Mulberry HS, Polk City HS). These schools have over 63% of white enrollment. The only HS in the area that is below 50% is Kathleen HS. Maybe you were at Hillsborough HS which has a large African-American enrollment outside of Tampa.

Why does it matter?
LI historian

Patchogue, NY

#7997 Oct 10, 2013
best All time 11
Football Team
1962 to 1975

Budddy Rooney QB 1962 Bob Rooney LB 1965 Gary Rooney RB/DB 1969
Kevin Rooney FB/LB 1975
John Rustman R 1965
Tim Kaminski R/DB 1968
Bob Wittneben LB 1968
George Ruland OL 1967
Dave Antonio RB 1968
Ron Krauzik OL 1967
Fred Belligan FB 1968

Best of the best was Hal BUD Rooney
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#7999 Oct 10, 2013
Week #5 Nassau County Predictions:

Conference I:

Farmingdale 33
Baldwin 14

Syosset 24
Massapequa 34

East Meadow 28
Oceanside 37

Conference II:

Carey 40
Bethpage 18

MacArthur 13
Wantagh 24

Conference III:

Plainedge 40
Bethpage 18

Glen Cove 24
Lynbrook 21

Conference IV:

Roosevelt 39
Mineola 6

West Hempstead 29
Seaford 15

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talent Agency 1 hr Barwave 1
NYPD Officers 'Assassinated' in Apparent Reveng... 1 hr Ronald 21
Do you have talent and you want to get noticed?? 1 hr Barwave 1
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 2 hr Younohoo 16,732
NYC's victory over lawlessness being reversed b... 2 hr Sammy 5
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr feces for jesus 307,110
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr positronium 49,362
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 3 hr Paul Yanks 311,718
jets talk back (Dec '07) 4 hr Paul Yanks 10,097

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New York News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New York

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:56 am PST

ESPN 8:56AM
Sources: Ryan expects to be fired by Jets
NFL 9:05 AM
Jason Pierre-Paul: 'I think I'm worth a lot of money'
Bleacher Report 9:24 AM
Report: Jets HC Ryan 'Bracing for His Ouster'
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
Could Cutler, Shanahan Reunion Work for Jets?
Bleacher Report 8:23 PM
RB Darkwa the Latest Giants Rookie to Shine