Nassau/Suffolk High School Football
LIfan

West Babylon, NY

#6630 Aug 24, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't think this has helped the DBP in its recruiting of students and athlete's from across the Country? I can guarantee you it has, more so than you'll ever know. They now have deep pockets.
Doesn't matter that they went 44-3 from 2003 through 2006. What really brought to the forfront of High School epedimy was the fact that they beat one of the greatest high school football teams(De La Salle, CA) in the County in 2009.
What did William Floyd football do between the years of 2005-2008, have an unbeaten streak of 42-0? What did that get them Nationally? Now had they played either De La Salle, CA or St. Thomas Aquinas, FL or Allen HS in TX, and done well, they would've been nationally ranked, and I would guarantee that other football players from across Nassau and Suffolk Counties would be looking to transfer to Floyd.
In CA and FL most of Public's do very well against the Private's.
public school systems are very different in other areas as well...friend of mine coaches track in Oregon (very competitive out there)- district is an entire county (not in the sticks) and you can attend any of the numerous high schools in the district you want as long as you provide transportation. All the star track kids attend the school he coaches at. Very different than on LI where you have over 120 neighborhood school districts.
hs football

United States

#6632 Aug 24, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>when does the season begin how about I take the sailors with saul winstein and you give me 10.thats a gift,the bro's against the bankers.
I figure we pick the oceanside uniondale game week 1 on Sept 12. Call it a pick em. I know you want the Knights let me know.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6633 Aug 24, 2013
LIfan wrote:
<quoted text>from what I remember the other NJ Catholic programs were not thrilled with the idea of Bosco playing DeLaSalle...raising the bar for Bosco raised expectations for all...once had a section 8 AD tell me he'd rather have competitive programs than perennial championship programs because it becomes a burden...didn't really know how to respond to that one.
It's imaterial what the NJ thinks about Don Bosco Prep, they are a private school. DBP does what it has to do to keep the tuition money flowing. If that means making football a satellite sport that gains National recognition, then so be it.

Now look at the radical change in Bergen Catholic state and national ranking from 2006 - present, once they started playing out state teams. In 2006 their state ranking was 38 and the national ranking was 1,819. Every year they added more out of state games and their rankings also increased to the 2012 state ranking #4 and national #63. The best ranking year they had was in 2011, with a state ranking #2 and national rank at #31. That is huge difference from 2006.

2013 Pre-Rankings, state #4, National #49

This season they are playing:

Curtis HS, LA State rank #4, National rank #81

Jordan HS, UT State rank #1, National rank #32

Bishop Gorman, NV State rank #1, National rank #118

Friendship Collegiate Academy, DC State rank #5, National rank #737

Exposure, Exposure and Exposure.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6634 Aug 24, 2013
LIfan wrote:
<quoted text>public school systems are very different in other areas as well...friend of mine coaches track in Oregon (very competitive out there)- district is an entire county (not in the sticks) and you can attend any of the numerous high schools in the district you want as long as you provide transportation. All the star track kids attend the school he coaches at. Very different than on LI where you have over 120 neighborhood school districts.
I'm sure your correct but in football producing factories like CA, FL and TX the public's hold their own. St. Anthony's, Chaminade, are the only LI schools that take football seriously. St. Anthony's Pre-ranking, State #6, National #648, and Chaminade which moved up tremendous since 2010 has a Pre-ranking State #2, National #246.

Now the top three Long Island Public School rankings:

Floyd State rank #31, National rank #1,921

Sachem North State rank #51, National rank #2,826

Baldwin State rank #80, National rank 3,730
Corners and Knees

River Edge, NJ

#6636 Aug 25, 2013
I see your point. However, the ranking thing is not what makes an institution. My point is that competitive games are a good thing on every level. I do not think you can have leagues aligned on ability alone. However, if you can couple enrollment with ability, you probably have a good formula.
In essence, I would leave the Roslyns of the world alone to do their thing (to survive and at least give kids a chance to play) as well as Bosco (money flow and recognition - there is no honor amongst theives).
Wayne Hills now has NO SHOT against Joe's. NONE. The two schools are playing by completely different rules now. Paramus Catholic has become the bandit of the bandit schools with kids coming in from everywhere - changing home addresses on the fly.
On Long Island and in New Jersey, it would be a good thing to have an opening game that was inter-county or inter-state. Play the game for competition's sake and not worry about how it impacts playoffs. On that note, you all are 100% correct. It would be great for the kids, coaches, communities and even the fans.
I believe it would also help a ton to bring back Thanksgiving Games as communities have no sense of self as it is today. Perhaps this could help.
Finally, you do not want what we have here in NJ now. We play 9 games in the regular season and only 7 count as you can drop 2 games in your power point formula. If you are not going to make games count, let teams go out to other counties and even states and find people like themselves to play at no playoff cost.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#6637 Aug 25, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
I figure we pick the oceanside uniondale game week 1 on Sept 12. Call it a pick em. I know you want the Knights let me know.
give me 3 the sailors are loaded.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#6638 Aug 25, 2013
LIfan wrote:
<quoted text>from what I remember the other NJ Catholic programs were not thrilled with the idea of Bosco playing DeLaSalle...raising the bar for Bosco raised expectations for all...once had a section 8 AD tell me he'd rather have competitive programs than perennial championship programs because it becomes a burden...didn't really know how to respond to that one.
that quote says it all most ad's are jerks
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6639 Aug 25, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
I see your point. However, the ranking thing is not what makes an institution. My point is that competitive games are a good thing on every level. I do not think you can have leagues aligned on ability alone. However, if you can couple enrollment with ability, you probably have a good formula.
In essence, I would leave the Roslyns of the world alone to do their thing (to survive and at least give kids a chance to play) as well as Bosco (money flow and recognition - there is no honor amongst theives).
Wayne Hills now has NO SHOT against Joe's. NONE. The two schools are playing by completely different rules now. Paramus Catholic has become the bandit of the bandit schools with kids coming in from everywhere - changing home addresses on the fly.
On Long Island and in New Jersey, it would be a good thing to have an opening game that was inter-county or inter-state. Play the game for competition's sake and not worry about how it impacts playoffs. On that note, you all are 100% correct. It would be great for the kids, coaches, communities and even the fans.
I believe it would also help a ton to bring back Thanksgiving Games as communities have no sense of self as it is today. Perhaps this could help.
Finally, you do not want what we have here in NJ now. We play 9 games in the regular season and only 7 count as you can drop 2 games in your power point formula. If you are not going to make games count, let teams go out to other counties and even states and find people like themselves to play at no playoff cost.
I also can read the graduation percentages and the graduating students that continue their education at the next level. Don Bosco Prep and Bergen Catholic do an excellent job of educating, not just playing football.

As far as Wayne Hills they've also had an excellent program, from what I can remember from 2004 thru 2012 their worst season during that period was 2004 with a 10-2 record. In fact they were always ranked very high in the State anywhere between #3 and #7 and Nationally between #706 and #165.

Since WH started playing St. Joe's Regional in 2009 the closet they have come to beating them was in 2009 when they lost 17-15. Every year after they were beaten handily (2010 35-14, 2011 34-10, 2012 42-14).

Now if you look at Wayne Hills Pre-season ranking, State #54, National 2,148. Once that schedule becomes more competitive that harder it is go 12-0 like WH did four times in a row.

If I thought my son was an exceptional football player and wanted to pursue his playing at a higher level, and not have it interfere with his school work, I would send him to one one of those prep schools.

This is why I moved to Bronxville, great education and good athletes(at least their football team has played and won in the NYS Tournment).
HS FOOTBALL

Brooklyn, NY

#6640 Aug 25, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>give me 3 the sailors are loaded.
ok week 1 you got uniondale +3 vs oceanside 9/12
week 3 you got floyd -7 vs pat med 9/27 friday nite

we will pick week 2 eventually 9/21 game
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6641 Aug 25, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to see a BCS college team on Long Island. It wouldn't be a big deal if the majority of the players were not from Long Island. It would just be a good thing for Long Island and the metro area to have a major college football program around here. Wouldn't they have to enlarge the stadium? I read where you need at least 30,000 seats for a BCS team. Too bad the Big East folded into that new conference, they would have taken Stony Brook and Villanova and still been around.
Read today's Newsday, and you'll why SBU is gearing up for an eventual move into the BCS. Newsday listed I believe 7 transfer players from schools like FSU, Temple, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, UTEP, MD. Out of these transfer's only two of them were from LI. K Nick Ferrera(Hickville)and WR Malcolm Eugene(John Glenn). The other five are from CT, PA, MD, and NJ.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#6642 Aug 25, 2013
HS FOOTBALL wrote:
<quoted text>
ok week 1 you got uniondale +3 vs oceanside 9/12
week 3 you got floyd -7 vs pat med 9/27 friday nite
we will pick week 2 eventually 9/21 game
this will prove who is the most knowledgeable--good luck. your pick week 2.bonus pick week one "the danch".
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#6643 Aug 25, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Read today's Newsday, and you'll why SBU is gearing up for an eventual move into the BCS. Newsday listed I believe 7 transfer players from schools like FSU, Temple, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, UTEP, MD. Out of these transfer's only two of them were from LI. K Nick Ferrera(Hickville)and WR Malcolm Eugene(John Glenn). The other five are from CT, PA, MD, and NJ.
never happen they are second tier trsnsfers please.you have to know that you don't build a program on transfers and j.c's.pat-med you disappoint me.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6644 Aug 25, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>never happen they are second tier trsnsfers please.you have to know that you don't build a program on transfers and j.c's.pat-med you disappoint me.
So your saying that transfer players like RB Marcus Coker who in 2011 at Iowa carried the ball 281 times for 1,417 yards and 15 td's and WR Jahire Level from Idaho who had 46 receptions and 538 yards with 2 td's isn't going to help SBU?
WI Fan

West Islip, NY

#6645 Aug 25, 2013
Would love to have a local FBS team. Would be amazing for LONG ISLAND Football.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6646 Aug 25, 2013
WI Fan wrote:
Would love to have a local FBS team. Would be amazing for LONG ISLAND Football.
I believe you will see them in an FBS Conference within the next 5-6 years. They just need to keep scheduling teams like UTEP (lost 31-24, Syracuse (Lost 28-17), and South Florida (lost 59-14 in 2010).
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#6647 Aug 25, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
So your saying that transfer players like RB Marcus Coker who in 2011 at Iowa carried the ball 281 times for 1,417 yards and 15 td's and WR Jahire Level from Idaho who had 46 receptions and 538 yards with 2 td's isn't going to help SBU?
every once in awhile you will get a good player and coker is good but listen to me you don't build a program that way.in fact that's the best way to derail the program--transfers are bad believe me.
An Old Sailor

AOL

#6648 Aug 25, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that article. It will be just a matter of time before big time college football will be on Long Island.
An Old Sailor

AOL

#6649 Aug 25, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>give me 3 the sailors are loaded.
Come on tool, you know the Sailors are not loaded. They lost their skill postion players to graduation. I would call this game a pick 'em myself. Uniondale though might make some mistakes that could cost them.
They play Lawrence in a scrimmage 9/3 which will give us a better handle on who they really are.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6650 Aug 25, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>every once in awhile you will get a good player and coker is good but listen to me you don't build a program that way.in fact that's the best way to derail the program--transfers are bad believe me.
I think with SBU trying to develop their program they need a certain amount of good football playing transfers. They also need to bring quality High School recruits, which is the most important.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#6651 Aug 25, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that article. It will be just a matter of time before big time college football will be on Long Island.
It is coming make no mistake about that. SBU will do what Hofstra couldn't do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 5 min De Oppresso Liber 11,307
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 15 min zef 311,488
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 21 min FuMan Chu Yanks 330,684
Whine and Cheese: Where are the crackers (Dec '09) 31 min 2 Dogs 1,101
EndlessWinds Kennel Unethical Breeding 50 min Dani2001 1
General Mills uses imported flour!!! 1 hr Sam 1
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 1 hr Hooplah 40,909
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 22 hr Charlie Coupland 26

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages