Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#5938 Jul 15, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
I remember the one back from Patchogue at the time.....I believe his name was Lianotonio (spelling). Saw them play Port Jeff on Turkey day in the 60's. Great atmosphere. The kid was good but I still think Rooney was the best back they ever had.
Back on Thanksgiving in the 60's and 70's, I saw some of the great Central Islip teams play against East Islip. Big crowds. There were some solid Smithtown-Hauppague games as well on Turkey Day.
Communities could use these games again.
Not sure, but you might be talking about Frank Liantonio(Class of '67) who played with Gary Rooney(Class of '68). The best RB to come out of Pat-Med was Alex Baez(Class of 2003), then Mike Funaro(Class of 1998). After that Kevin Rooney(Class '75) who did have over 2,000 yards rushing in his career, but Baez had 2,198 yards for the 2002 season and Funaro had 1,838 yards for the 1997 season. I would've also thrown in Paul Mazzola (Class of '78) who played on the 1977 playoff team that lost to Sachem.
hs football

United States

#5939 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure, but you might be talking about Frank Liantonio(Class of '67) who played with Gary Rooney(Class of '68). The best RB to come out of Pat-Med was Alex Baez(Class of 2003), then Mike Funaro(Class of 1998). After that Kevin Rooney(Class '75) who did have over 2,000 yards rushing in his career, but Baez had 2,198 yards for the 2002 season and Funaro had 1,838 yards for the 1997 season. I would've also thrown in Paul Mazzola (Class of '78) who played on the 1977 playoff team that lost to Sachem.
Great teams Pat Med 95,96,97 great players mini dynasty
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#5940 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it the 21-20 game on a Monday at uniondale I was there also
yes lyle alzado was handled by uniondale all day uniondale was a program nobody wanted to play.they must have lost 20 games in the 60's and 70's by 3 points or less.alot of good players
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#5941 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
we are talking the 60's when defense was taught shut up
GrumpyLWoodFan

Medford, NY

#5942 Jul 15, 2013
lax football life wrote:
Most lax programs even the big ones like cuse and duke only have 12 or 13 full scholarship kids on the team at a time most of the kids that signed this year are paying a large sum of their own money. there are a lot more guys getting a full scholarship for football than lax. all the kids signed letters of intent but not all of them got full scholarships just a small amount of money to play
<quoted text>
Full lacrosse scholarship? Non existent. D1 has to divvy up 12 scholarships total among a roster of at least 40. Unless the kid has a GPA > 3.5 and is getting academic money....then there is no full ride.
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#5943 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Great teams Pat Med 95,96,97 great players mini dynasty
I still have to say the 2002 LIC Championship team was by far the best Pat-Med team of all time. Besides RB Alex Baez, the had QB Jay Pontieri who threw for over 1,300 yards with 16 td's (also rushed for 671 yards and 6 td's) to his favorite receiver Mike Smeja who had over 700 of those yards and 10 td's.
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#5944 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>we are talking the 60's when defense was taught shut up
You are correct defense was taught back then. I've watched the old films of my father playing LB and he was a much better tackler than I was in the 1980's. So I would have to agree with you.
Conf I Fan

Bellmore, NY

#5945 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
In fact Ashley/Freeport, Martilotta/Lawrence
BRown/Berner and Defillippo/East Meadow were all great coaching records in the 50-60's era
DeFilippo was 46-9-1 at East Meadow from 1961-67 winning a Rutgers Cup in 1964. Went on to Derby CT and won multiple championships before retiring. East Meadow football really took a turn for the worse for a couple of decades after he left.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#5946 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct defense was taught back then. I've watched the old films of my father playing LB and he was a much better tackler than I was in the 1980's. So I would have to agree with you.
thank you I was a product of the 60's and we tackled every day,it sucked but we did it---because the game is blocking and tackling.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#5947 Jul 15, 2013
Conf I Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
DeFilippo was 46-9-1 at East Meadow from 1961-67 winning a Rutgers Cup in 1964. Went on to Derby CT and won multiple championships before retiring. East Meadow football really took a turn for the worse for a couple of decades after he left.
in 1964 he was lucky uniondale was the better team but uniondale always lost when it counted.
hs football

Parsippany, NJ

#5948 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>yes lyle alzado was handled by uniondale all day uniondale was a program nobody wanted to play.they must have lost 20 games in the 60's and 70's by 3 points or less.alot of good players
Listen you don't have to sell me on how good the uniondale talent was. I know it was they lost plenty of close games do to coaching
hs football

Parsippany, NJ

#5949 Jul 15, 2013
Conf I Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Great coach east meadow was real tough when he was coaching.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#5950 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen you don't have to sell me on how good the uniondale talent was. I know it was they lost plenty of close games do to coaching
true give an example please.
hs football

Parsippany, NJ

#5951 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>true give an example please.
Honestly think the coaching was so good from schools like East Meadow Lawrence Hempstead Berner Freeport Massapequa. UMIONDALE never had that great coach alot of those close losses with all that talent would have been wins.
bigtool

Sag Harbor, NY

#5952 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly think the coaching was so good from schools like East Meadow Lawrence Hempstead Berner Freeport Massapequa. UMIONDALE never had that great coach alot of those close losses with all that talent would have been wins.
true you are right what a shame.
suff III

East Islip, NY

#5953 Jul 16, 2013
full suffolk football schedule is up:

http://sectionxi.org/
Pat-Med 88

Palm Springs, CA

#5954 Jul 16, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>thank you I was a product of the 60's and we tackled every day,it sucked but we did it---because the game is blocking and tackling.
Even my Uncle agreed with you about how defense was taught and practiced. He said the worst beating can remember while playing at Patchogue was against a hard hitting Sayville team in '68 in which Patchogue lost 27-0. Great two way players like Larry Kane, Mike Mussler, Rick Van Brunt, Harold Jenkins, John Perry, Pete Costanzo, Bill Niebergall, and Ken Beer. He said just ask Gary Rooney and Patchogue's starting QB Jeff Juzwiak.
Corners and Knees

River Edge, NJ

#5955 Jul 16, 2013
68 was a great year for HS football in Suffolk County. Smithtown High School. First year in League I. Did not score 100 points in 8 games. They scored 50 points in 2 games (First and last) and only 48 in the other 6 games. Their defense was so stout that they went 8-0 anyway. They won games (7-6, 2-0, 3-0, 9-7).
Big Tool has a point. The blocking and tackling have gotten progressively worse as live play in practice is all but forbidden now. If you want to look at a reason for the increase in concussions, take a peak at how kids no longer practice how to play the physical part of the game (blocking and tackling). The majority of injuries are the result of bad technique.
hs football

Parsippany, NJ

#5956 Jul 16, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
68 was a great year for HS football in Suffolk County. Smithtown High School. First year in League I. Did not score 100 points in 8 games. They scored 50 points in 2 games (First and last) and only 48 in the other 6 games. Their defense was so stout that they went 8-0 anyway. They won games (7-6, 2-0, 3-0, 9-7).
Big Tool has a point. The blocking and tackling have gotten progressively worse as live play in practice is all but forbidden now. If you want to look at a reason for the increase in concussions, take a peak at how kids no longer practice how to play the physical part of the game (blocking and tackling). The majority of injuries are the result of bad technique.
So true no more D
Tough losses

New York, NY

#5957 Jul 16, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>true you are right what a shame.
Tool talk about Uniondale tough losses, 1968 basketball team loaded with talent Russ Bastin coach. How about Conroy, Copeland,Tarvin, Black, they lose playoff game in 4ot's in the semi's 49-47 to eventual county champion. Uniondale has more tough losses than anybody in most sports except Track where they are Kings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comics X-mas 6 min Marry comics 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 32 min Mothra 49,311
Giuliani STFU you are not mayor anymore 39 min games2girls2 32
Fox is going down (Dec '09) 1 hr Norm Chaney 5,749
Black murder rate 1 hr Nbam 5
africa23 - _tel od out lo in protest is spy whyte 2 hr africhaiti 1
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 2 hr Paul Yanks 311,695

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New York News, Events & Info