Nassau/Suffolk High School Football
Conf I Fan

East Meadow, NY

#5945 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
In fact Ashley/Freeport, Martilotta/Lawrence
BRown/Berner and Defillippo/East Meadow were all great coaching records in the 50-60's era
DeFilippo was 46-9-1 at East Meadow from 1961-67 winning a Rutgers Cup in 1964. Went on to Derby CT and won multiple championships before retiring. East Meadow football really took a turn for the worse for a couple of decades after he left.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5946 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct defense was taught back then. I've watched the old films of my father playing LB and he was a much better tackler than I was in the 1980's. So I would have to agree with you.
thank you I was a product of the 60's and we tackled every day,it sucked but we did it---because the game is blocking and tackling.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5947 Jul 15, 2013
Conf I Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
DeFilippo was 46-9-1 at East Meadow from 1961-67 winning a Rutgers Cup in 1964. Went on to Derby CT and won multiple championships before retiring. East Meadow football really took a turn for the worse for a couple of decades after he left.
in 1964 he was lucky uniondale was the better team but uniondale always lost when it counted.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5948 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>yes lyle alzado was handled by uniondale all day uniondale was a program nobody wanted to play.they must have lost 20 games in the 60's and 70's by 3 points or less.alot of good players
Listen you don't have to sell me on how good the uniondale talent was. I know it was they lost plenty of close games do to coaching
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5949 Jul 15, 2013
Conf I Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Great coach east meadow was real tough when he was coaching.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5950 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen you don't have to sell me on how good the uniondale talent was. I know it was they lost plenty of close games do to coaching
true give an example please.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5951 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>true give an example please.
Honestly think the coaching was so good from schools like East Meadow Lawrence Hempstead Berner Freeport Massapequa. UMIONDALE never had that great coach alot of those close losses with all that talent would have been wins.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5952 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly think the coaching was so good from schools like East Meadow Lawrence Hempstead Berner Freeport Massapequa. UMIONDALE never had that great coach alot of those close losses with all that talent would have been wins.
true you are right what a shame.
suff III

Sayville, NY

#5953 Jul 16, 2013
full suffolk football schedule is up:

http://sectionxi.org/
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5954 Jul 16, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>thank you I was a product of the 60's and we tackled every day,it sucked but we did it---because the game is blocking and tackling.
Even my Uncle agreed with you about how defense was taught and practiced. He said the worst beating can remember while playing at Patchogue was against a hard hitting Sayville team in '68 in which Patchogue lost 27-0. Great two way players like Larry Kane, Mike Mussler, Rick Van Brunt, Harold Jenkins, John Perry, Pete Costanzo, Bill Niebergall, and Ken Beer. He said just ask Gary Rooney and Patchogue's starting QB Jeff Juzwiak.
Corners and Knees

River Edge, NJ

#5955 Jul 16, 2013
68 was a great year for HS football in Suffolk County. Smithtown High School. First year in League I. Did not score 100 points in 8 games. They scored 50 points in 2 games (First and last) and only 48 in the other 6 games. Their defense was so stout that they went 8-0 anyway. They won games (7-6, 2-0, 3-0, 9-7).
Big Tool has a point. The blocking and tackling have gotten progressively worse as live play in practice is all but forbidden now. If you want to look at a reason for the increase in concussions, take a peak at how kids no longer practice how to play the physical part of the game (blocking and tackling). The majority of injuries are the result of bad technique.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5956 Jul 16, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
68 was a great year for HS football in Suffolk County. Smithtown High School. First year in League I. Did not score 100 points in 8 games. They scored 50 points in 2 games (First and last) and only 48 in the other 6 games. Their defense was so stout that they went 8-0 anyway. They won games (7-6, 2-0, 3-0, 9-7).
Big Tool has a point. The blocking and tackling have gotten progressively worse as live play in practice is all but forbidden now. If you want to look at a reason for the increase in concussions, take a peak at how kids no longer practice how to play the physical part of the game (blocking and tackling). The majority of injuries are the result of bad technique.
So true no more D
Tough losses

Old Bridge, NJ

#5957 Jul 16, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>true you are right what a shame.
Tool talk about Uniondale tough losses, 1968 basketball team loaded with talent Russ Bastin coach. How about Conroy, Copeland,Tarvin, Black, they lose playoff game in 4ot's in the semi's 49-47 to eventual county champion. Uniondale has more tough losses than anybody in most sports except Track where they are Kings.
bigtool

Southampton, NY

#5958 Jul 17, 2013
Tough losses wrote:
<quoted text>
Tool talk about Uniondale tough losses, 1968 basketball team loaded with talent Russ Bastin coach. How about Conroy, Copeland,Tarvin, Black, they lose playoff game in 4ot's in the semi's 49-47 to eventual county champion. Uniondale has more tough losses than anybody in most sports except Track where they are Kings.
plus 1964 Rutgers cup game against east meadow and the 1965 basketball final when ally lizza chucks up a half court bomb with no time left many many
hs football

United States

#5959 Jul 17, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>plus 1964 Rutgers cup game against east meadow and the 1965 basketball final when ally lizza chucks up a half court bomb with no time left many many
Who did Allie lizza. Play for
bigtool

Weehawken, NJ

#5960 Jul 17, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did Allie lizza. Play for
oyster bay
An Old Sailor

AOL

#5961 Jul 17, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>oyster bay
big tool, did you know Angelo Calcaterra?
bigtool

Weehawken, NJ

#5962 Jul 17, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
big tool, did you know Angelo Calcaterra?
no was he the pizza guy in Baldwin or Lawrence if yes good pizza.was he a Lawrence janitor.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5963 Jul 17, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>no was he the pizza guy in Baldwin or Lawrence if yes good pizza.was he a Lawrence janitor.
Tony carcaterra was at uniondale for a short period as a gym teacher and coach but not until 70's or 80's he was a standout athlete at Lawrence in baseball football basketball but not a janitor owned a painting business I believe.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5964 Jul 17, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>oyster bay
So oyster bay beat uniondale and won the county title in 65

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 6 min stroking 56
Humma to marry Mrs C 11 min Ewwwww 2016 3
News Women bare breasts for equality in New York City 28 min Wall Street 2016 1
Time to go? (Jun '15) 1 hr Uno hoo 12,552
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Blue November 311,629
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Actual Science 61,082
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 2 hr Sonya 41,524
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 3 hr jimi-yank 332,103
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 4 hr De Oppresso Liber 11,963
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 8 hr jimi-yank 5,120

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages