Nassau/Suffolk High School Football
Jwhite

Old Bridge, NJ

#5925 Jul 14, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
You are to funny: but it seems you know alot about hs football in the 50's and 60's
Your choice of Joe blocker was a solid choice
JOHNNY MOLLO did alot for the kids back in the day at Lawrence including cooking for the players and always being there a tremendous person, rest in peace John.
Yes John Mollo was amazing at Lawrence. Heard many stories and the crowds were huge at all games back then. I was in Hs at the time of the Lawrence/ Hempstead classic and attended that game. There were thousands at that game it was the game of the year at the end of the season. 1961 7-6 final.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5926 Jul 15, 2013
Jwhite wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes John Mollo was amazing at Lawrence. Heard many stories and the crowds were huge at all games back then. I was in Hs at the time of the Lawrence/ Hempstead classic and attended that game. There were thousands at that game it was the game of the year at the end of the season. 1961 7-6 final.
remember all the janitors yelling at the black guys from Hempstead.it was very intense the poor black guys always had one eye on the sideline.sal ciampi was the most overated player in long island history all he was was a cheap shot artist.he was mr. after the whistle.
Corners and Knees

River Edge, NJ

#5927 Jul 15, 2013
I remember the one back from Patchogue at the time.....I believe his name was Lianotonio (spelling). Saw them play Port Jeff on Turkey day in the 60's. Great atmosphere. The kid was good but I still think Rooney was the best back they ever had.

Back on Thanksgiving in the 60's and 70's, I saw some of the great Central Islip teams play against East Islip. Big crowds. There were some solid Smithtown-Hauppague games as well on Turkey Day.

Communities could use these games again.
hs football

United States

#5928 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>remember all the janitors yelling at the black guys from Hempstead.it was very intense the poor black guys always had one eye on the sideline.sal ciampi was the most overated player in long island history all he was was a cheap shot artist.he was mr. after the whistle.
So he fooled alot of people then. Thorpe award and all big ten at Purdue. Butkus played against him gave him plenty of praise.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5929 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
So he fooled alot of people then. Thorpe award and all big ten at Purdue. Butkus played against him gave him plenty of praise.
please back then he was a 5 foot 11 230 guard.sure butkus praised him as he ran all over him---check the films clown.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5930 Jul 15, 2013
Just to follow up on that Port Washington brawl against Great Neck North in 1965. It was actually a payback for what happened in the 1964 game at Great Neck. Towards the end of the game with Port Washington leading, GNN's big DE Mike Lardner 6'5' 247 lbs. (some on this forum may remember his father Ring Lardner who was a sports writer for the NY Times) leveled PW's QB John Ballantyne. Lardner knocked him out cold. The PW side went crazy. So in 1965 they paid GNN back in Port Washington, knocking out GNN QB Bob Zutty.
Jwhite

New York, NY

#5931 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>please back then he was a 5 foot 11 230 guard.sure butkus praised him as he ran all over him---check the films clown.
Credibility check tool, can't be serious Ciampi was not tall at all but as tough as they come.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5932 Jul 15, 2013
Jwhite wrote:
<quoted text>
Credibility check tool, can't be serious Ciampi was not tall at all but as tough as they come.
tough,not tall,dirty and if you ask anybody who played against him in high school did I say dirty.but in his behalf his coach martialiita,spelling, was the worse and he was a product of him and the janitors.
hs football

United States

#5933 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>tough,not tall,dirty and if you ask anybody who played against him in high school did I say dirty.but in his behalf his coach martialiita,spelling, was the worse and he was a product of him and the janitors.
MARTILOTTA was 81-29 according. To Newsday from1955-1968 playing all top schools.
hs football

United States

#5934 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
Just to follow up on that Port Washington brawl against Great Neck North in 1965. It was actually a payback for what happened in the 1964 game at Great Neck. Towards the end of the game with Port Washington leading, GNN's big DE Mike Lardner 6'5' 247 lbs.(some on this forum may remember his father Ring Lardner who was a sports writer for the NY Times) leveled PW's QB John Ballantyne. Lardner knocked him out cold. The PW side went crazy. So in 1965 they paid GNN back in Port Washington, knocking out GNN QB Bob Zutty.
GREAT stuff Pat Med I googled and found Pw. Beat gnn 28-12 on 10-24-65 it made them 5-0 just a headline no mention of the fight though
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5935 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
MARTILOTTA was 81-29 according. To Newsday from1955-1968 playing all top schools.
wow he lost 29 games with the janitors that's not impressive plus the refs hated him.i watched the Lawrence uniondale at uniondale during the week for some reason.jewish holiday most likey.martilotta had 4 yes 4 15 yarders against him in one drive.60 yards but the uniondale kid blew the 10 yard field goal.he was a jerk.
hs football

United States

#5936 Jul 15, 2013
In fact Ashley/Freeport, Martilotta/Lawrence
BRown/Berner and Defillippo/East Meadow were all great coaching records in the 50-60's era
hs football

United States

#5937 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>wow he lost 29 games with the janitors that's not impressive plus the refs hated him.i watched the Lawrence uniondale at uniondale during the week for some reason.jewish holiday most likey.martilotta had 4 yes 4 15 yarders against him in one drive.60 yards but the uniondale kid blew the 10 yard field goal.he was a jerk.
Was it the 21-20 game on a Monday at uniondale I was there also
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5938 Jul 15, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
I remember the one back from Patchogue at the time.....I believe his name was Lianotonio (spelling). Saw them play Port Jeff on Turkey day in the 60's. Great atmosphere. The kid was good but I still think Rooney was the best back they ever had.
Back on Thanksgiving in the 60's and 70's, I saw some of the great Central Islip teams play against East Islip. Big crowds. There were some solid Smithtown-Hauppague games as well on Turkey Day.
Communities could use these games again.
Not sure, but you might be talking about Frank Liantonio(Class of '67) who played with Gary Rooney(Class of '68). The best RB to come out of Pat-Med was Alex Baez(Class of 2003), then Mike Funaro(Class of 1998). After that Kevin Rooney(Class '75) who did have over 2,000 yards rushing in his career, but Baez had 2,198 yards for the 2002 season and Funaro had 1,838 yards for the 1997 season. I would've also thrown in Paul Mazzola (Class of '78) who played on the 1977 playoff team that lost to Sachem.
hs football

United States

#5939 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure, but you might be talking about Frank Liantonio(Class of '67) who played with Gary Rooney(Class of '68). The best RB to come out of Pat-Med was Alex Baez(Class of 2003), then Mike Funaro(Class of 1998). After that Kevin Rooney(Class '75) who did have over 2,000 yards rushing in his career, but Baez had 2,198 yards for the 2002 season and Funaro had 1,838 yards for the 1997 season. I would've also thrown in Paul Mazzola (Class of '78) who played on the 1977 playoff team that lost to Sachem.
Great teams Pat Med 95,96,97 great players mini dynasty
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5940 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it the 21-20 game on a Monday at uniondale I was there also
yes lyle alzado was handled by uniondale all day uniondale was a program nobody wanted to play.they must have lost 20 games in the 60's and 70's by 3 points or less.alot of good players
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5941 Jul 15, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
we are talking the 60's when defense was taught shut up
GrumpyLWoodFan

Medford, NY

#5942 Jul 15, 2013
lax football life wrote:
Most lax programs even the big ones like cuse and duke only have 12 or 13 full scholarship kids on the team at a time most of the kids that signed this year are paying a large sum of their own money. there are a lot more guys getting a full scholarship for football than lax. all the kids signed letters of intent but not all of them got full scholarships just a small amount of money to play
<quoted text>
Full lacrosse scholarship? Non existent. D1 has to divvy up 12 scholarships total among a roster of at least 40. Unless the kid has a GPA > 3.5 and is getting academic money....then there is no full ride.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5943 Jul 15, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
Great teams Pat Med 95,96,97 great players mini dynasty
I still have to say the 2002 LIC Championship team was by far the best Pat-Med team of all time. Besides RB Alex Baez, the had QB Jay Pontieri who threw for over 1,300 yards with 16 td's (also rushed for 671 yards and 6 td's) to his favorite receiver Mike Smeja who had over 700 of those yards and 10 td's.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5944 Jul 15, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>we are talking the 60's when defense was taught shut up
You are correct defense was taught back then. I've watched the old films of my father playing LB and he was a much better tackler than I was in the 1980's. So I would have to agree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Munich shooter was raised Muslim 1 min FactsReal 2
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 1 min rainmaker2016 14,950
GREAT WALL of MEXICO - PLAGIARIZED ! - China ! 3 min FactsHard 4
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 8 min Joi C 15,823
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 15 min FuMan Chu Yanks 330,637
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 1 hr Shannon 40,896
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr De Oppresso Liber 11,286
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 9 hr Charlie Coupland 26

New York Jobs

More from around the web