Nassau/Suffolk High School Football
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5904 Jul 11, 2013
Jwhite wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow 3 sport athlete's there are so many. You mentioned Hough, Blocker was awesome and so was Jim Brown. There was a 3 sport athlete back in the day named Jeff Carlin he led the County in baseball strikeouts, football touchdowns scored, basketball scoring also in the same year.
Top Nassau football of all time in no specific order would be Hempstead, Lawrence, Freeport, Garden City, Farmingdale. Freeport, Baldwin have played the most games.
Massapequa, Bethpage also very good but not around as long as the above mentioned 5.
Some of these schools played some great competition as well. Schools like Quincy Mass, Brockton Mass, Union Endicott, Rome Free Academy which has the most wins in NYS.

Not sure about the schools you mentioned that played Brockton High School in MA from above? The only school from Nassau (public school) that I know that played Brockton High School was Lawrence in 1922 and lost 57-0. The other Nassau High School that played them was Chaminade in 1996 and lost to them 35-18. St. Johns High School played them in 1986 and actually beat them 8-0.

The school from Long Island that played the most times against Brockton High School was Sachem 1988 (lost 35-7), 1989 (lost 35-20) and in 1990 (lost 42-26)
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5905 Jul 11, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure about the schools you mentioned that played Brockton High School in MA from above? The only school from Nassau (public school) that I know that played Brockton High School was Lawrence in 1922 and lost 57-0. The other Nassau High School that played them was Chaminade in 1996 and lost to them 35-18. St. Johns High School played them in 1986 and actually beat them 8-0.
The school from Long Island that played the most times against Brockton High School was Sachem 1988 (lost 35-7), 1989 (lost 35-20) and in 1990 (lost 42-26)
true you know--very good
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5906 Jul 11, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>true you know--very good
I was going to include the Lawrence vs Union-Endicott game in 1945 which Lawrence won 20-6. This was during the years of leathe helments.
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5907 Jul 12, 2013
were there any black or jews on Lawrence in 1945.report back,
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5908 Jul 12, 2013
bigtool wrote:
Not sure? I can tell you that at some point during the 1920's,'30's and early part of the 1940's, Lawrence was Nationally ranked during those years.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5909 Jul 12, 2013
bigtool wrote:
BILLY WILSON played for Lawrence in the 1940's he was a tremendous black athlete that played all sports and is one of the best ever not only at Lawrence but on long island of all time.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5910 Jul 12, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure? I can tell you that at some point during the 1920's,'30's and early part of the 1940's, Lawrence was Nationally ranked during those years.
You are right on pat Med; Jeff Carlin, ray barbuti, Nick drahos, BIlly Wilson all contributed in 20's 30's 40's when they were very good. These 4 were exceptional back then
bigtool

Patchogue, NY

#5911 Jul 12, 2013
bill Wilson what happened to him jail or the service,jeff carlin went on to star with larry david in curb.
hs football

United States

#5912 Jul 12, 2013
bigtool wrote:
bill Wilson what happened to him jail or the service,jeff carlin went on to star with larry david in curb.
BILLY WILSON was awesome a quiet classy man tool a real gem!
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5913 Jul 12, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right on pat Med; Jeff Carlin, ray barbuti, Nick drahos, BIlly Wilson all contributed in 20's 30's 40's when they were very good. These 4 were exceptional back then
Lawrence was Nationally Ranked in 1925 (8-0), 1926 (9-0), 1937 (8-0-1), 1939 (7-0), and 1940 (6-0-1). One player you left out form the 1930's was Johnny Mollo.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5914 Jul 13, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lawrence was Nationally Ranked in 1925 (8-0), 1926 (9-0), 1937 (8-0-1), 1939 (7-0), and 1940 (6-0-1). One player you left out form the 1930's was Johnny Mollo.
JOHN MOLLO was LAwrence football
bigtool

Matawan, NJ

#5915 Jul 13, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
JOHN MOLLO was LAwrence football
didn't he and his family start the tradition of 300 pound janitors roaming the Lawrence sideline screaming at the refs and opposing players.that group alone has accounted for more wins then good coaching and players.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5916 Jul 13, 2013
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>didn't he and his family start the tradition of 300 pound janitors roaming the Lawrence sideline screaming at the refs and opposing players.that group alone has accounted for more wins then good coaching and players.
You are to funny: but it seems you know alot about hs football in the 50's and 60's
Your choice of Joe blocker was a solid choice
JOHNNY MOLLO did alot for the kids back in the day at Lawrence including cooking for the players and always being there a tremendous person, rest in peace John.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5917 Jul 13, 2013
PATMED

I Remember my grandfather telling me about that Brockton game. Lawrence it was there 2nd year playing football and had gained some national prominence. NOW Brockton was a powerhouse already and Lawrence had accepted the Thanksgiving day game at Brockton. It was a big deal and many buses left from the school to go up to Massachusetts that day. No match for Brockton on that day though. They had nice wins though over UnionEndicott and Rome Free Academy in NYS in other seasons and Quincy Mass also
One other thing I noticed from a Jack white photo of a game from 1968 between Lawrence and east meadow the crowds were huge back then!
bigtool

Matawan, NJ

#5918 Jul 13, 2013
hs football wrote:
PATMED
I Remember my grandfather telling me about that Brockton game. Lawrence it was there 2nd year playing football and had gained some national prominence. NOW Brockton was a powerhouse already and Lawrence had accepted the Thanksgiving day game at Brockton. It was a big deal and many buses left from the school to go up to Massachusetts that day. No match for Brockton on that day though. They had nice wins though over UnionEndicott and Rome Free Academy in NYS in other seasons and Quincy Mass also
One other thing I noticed from a Jack white photo of a game from 1968 between Lawrence and east meadow the crowds were huge back then!
yes crowds of 4000 were common,long island was young then the school was the center of civic pride.nobody worked on sat.plus pro football was just beginning.
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5919 Jul 13, 2013
hs football wrote:
PATMED
I have photo's of the Turkey Bowl games with Patchogue playing Port Jefferson. This was a yearly tradition in the early sixties. My Grandfather was an assistant coach with HC Joe Augustinello, my father and uncles played in those games. Not sure how many attended the games at the old HS (Saxton Ave), but I can tell you from the photo's the crowd encircled the whole field, plus filled up all the seating. The Long Island Press had the crowd at over 5,000.
bigtool

Matawan, NJ

#5920 Jul 13, 2013
I remember in 1963 going to a long beach-Hempstead night game at Hempstead.the natives were restless that night heavy drinking numerous fights and stabbings.that was it for night games for a long while.smart planning having a night game at Hempstead.it was the year after they won the Nassau title and the crowd was huge but the Hempstead bro's ruined a great showcase game.watch what happens if zimmermen is ruled innocent.why does America tolerate one racial group to get away with this time after time.
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5921 Jul 13, 2013
Pat-Med 88 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have photo's of the Turkey Bowl games with Patchogue playing Port Jefferson. This was a yearly tradition in the early sixties. My Grandfather was an assistant coach with HC Joe Augustinello, my father and uncles played in those games. Not sure how many attended the games at the old HS (Saxton Ave), but I can tell you from the photo's the crowd encircled the whole field, plus filled up all the seating. The Long Island Press had the crowd at over 5,000.
GREAT STUFF ON HS FOOTBAL history in the 60's huge crowds great atmosphere
witnessed 2 brawls in 64 and 66
hs football

Brooklyn, NY

#5922 Jul 13, 2013
bigtool wrote:
I remember in 1963 going to a long beach-Hempstead night game at Hempstead.the natives were restless that night heavy drinking numerous fights and stabbings.that was it for night games for a long while.smart planning having a night game at Hempstead.it was the year after they won the Nassau title and the crowd was huge but the Hempstead bro's ruined a great showcase game.watch what happens if zimmermen is ruled innocent.why does America tolerate one racial group to get away with this time after time.
Any good brawls I saw one at freeport stadium in 1966 and at east meadow in 1964, no doubt night games were banned
Pat-Med 88

Indio, CA

#5923 Jul 14, 2013
hs football wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT STUFF ON HS FOOTBAL history in the 60's huge crowds great atmosphere
witnessed 2 brawls in 64 and 66
From what my Grandfather says, the largest football brawl to happen on the Island was in 1966 Port Washington vs Great Neck North. They had all of the Port Washington PD, most of the Nassau PD from the 6th Precint in Manhassett, and even some NYS Police. It took the police hours to clean up the mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr Hillary4Hell2016 11,921
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr TMAN_Mets 332,002
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr FORREST 16,043
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr zef 311,621
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 4 hr momma chamberlin 41,513
Mets talk back (Dec '06) 4 hr jimi-yank 29,276
trump mind flips flops 5 hr trump filps and f... 1
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 16 hr rainmaker2016 54

New York Jobs

More from around the web