Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305659 Feb 14, 2014
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Liverpoll is doing well, as opposed to the Boston Globe which spends $2 for every $1 collected
So whats Henry's end? The print media industry is in free fall ad he steps in and buys for $70m what the NY Times bought for $1,1 billion.

So $70m if he can't get the online end to work...The building is worth that much...
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305660 Feb 14, 2014
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Hanley loves LA, loves the fans, loves Mattingly & now with Mattingly getting an extension, it's almost certain Hanley will stay in LA...
whats Hanley got the Yankees need anyway?

Someone to try and keep Brendan Ryan away from the plate for the next 3 years? Hanley won't be a SS too much longer.

Yanks will be all in on that Cuban kid
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305661 Feb 14, 2014
The Associated Press reported A-Rod's locker at Steinbrenner Field wasn't given to another player.
"Rodriguez had used the stall just to the side of the back entrance of the clubhouse at Steinbrenner Field," The AP wrote. "There was no nameplate on it Friday and no uniforms hanging inside. Carlos Beltran was assigned the adjacent locker."

Yup and feel free to help yourself to any treats to keep those 2 bad knees on the field that you find in Arods locker Carlos...
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305662 Feb 14, 2014
The Japanese media finally caught a clean view of Tanaka throwing a baseball Friday when Tanaka, who obscurely threw a bullpen session Thursday, played catch in right field at Steinbrenner Field.

My guess is there was alot of nervous Yanks execs waiting to see if a 3 fingered grip on a larger ball was worth the risk...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#305663 Feb 14, 2014
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So whats Henry's end? The print media industry is in free fall ad he steps in and buys for $70m what the NY Times bought for $1,1 billion.

So $70m if he can't get the online end to work...The building is worth that much...
That was over 20 years ago. Sulzburger family made their money from the Globe...

Think all print media will going paperless in the next 5 years given the current technologies like tablets & smartphones...
Buzz

Toukley, Australia

#305664 Feb 14, 2014
Fresh

“Same F*ck”

Since: Oct 07

Different You's

#305665 Feb 15, 2014
Buzz wrote:
Fresh
??? You never conduct tests on the main forum

“Same F*ck”

Different You's

#305666 Feb 15, 2014
The Japanese media finally caught a clean view of Tanaka throwing a baseball Friday when Tanaka, who obscurely threw a bullpen session Thursday, played catch in right field at Steinbrenner Field.
My guess is there was alot of nervous Yanks execs waiting to see if a 3 fingered grip on a larger ball was worth the risk...
My prediction of him. 16-7 and a 3.50 era and he starts game 1 of their 2014 playoff run

“Same F*ck”

Different You's

#305667 Feb 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there? Lived in & around LAC for 2 years. No more fickle than NYC..
LA has no problem supporting an NFL team. When you're getting free rent along with the lions share of game day revenues like Georgia Frontiere & Al Davis were offered by moving, no sane person turns that down...
Want to bring up fickle? Before the NYY run started in 1994, George was threatening to move to NJ. Go look @ NYY attendance from 1990-1993. When your team sucks like NYY did during that time, no 1 wants to buy a ticket. Very fortunate they had that cable deal with Paramount that kept NYY profitable..
What part of LA did you live in? And NY as a whole is a sinking ship market wise and business wise. The Yankees no longer have that dominant market like in years past going forward

“Same F*ck”

Different You's

#305668 Feb 15, 2014
So Dell, yesterday was Valentines Day. How did you and your girlfriend (the fridge) make out?

“Same F*ck”

Different You's

#305669 Feb 15, 2014
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind him, he's nobody.
My Jeter predictions are .290/10/70 in 150 games, 125 at short, 25 at DH. I think his RBIs will be up this year because he won't be hitting leadoff, most likely he'll be in the #2 hole with lefty Ellsbury in the leadoff spot...
Real insightful post. Most #2 guys who play 150 games will put up those stats you just put up.

“Same F*ck”

Different You's

#305670 Feb 15, 2014
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind him, he's nobody.
My Jeter predictions are .290/10/70 in 150 games, 125 at short, 25 at DH. I think his RBIs will be up this year because he won't be hitting leadoff, most likely he'll be in the #2 hole with lefty Ellsbury in the leadoff spot...
If Miguel Cabrera plays 150 games this year, he will hit 40 HR's and bat over .325. Do you see how dumb your Jeter post is. Now get back behind the grill and put more burgers down and don't forget to remind the teen girls you have to ask if they want fries with that. Its sure nice going thru life not having to spend hours a day in fast food place cooking greasy food. Your wife really has some good catch there in you

“That's Un-Possible!”

Since: Jan 08

Brookhaven Hamlet, Long Island

#305671 Feb 15, 2014
The Mets expect a massive crowd of 64 players in this year's camp, including 38 pitchers and catchers.

Perhaps this year's most intriguing camp battle will unfold at first base, where Ike Davis -- whom the Mets openly tried to trade all winter -- and Lucas Duda will compete for a job. The loser could start the year in the Minors.

The Mets must also choose a fifth starter, with Jenrry Mejia trying to hold off veterans Daisuke Matsuzaka and John Lannan. Multiple bullpen jobs are up for grabs, as well, and the team must decide whether to start Eric Young, Jr. or Juan Lagares in the outfield alongside newcomers Curtis Granderson and Chris Young.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mets-camp...

While I liked what I saw from Lagares last season, Eric Young Jr is a speed demon & that's exactly what the Mets need in CitiField. My prediction is that Lagares starts in the minors or Collins platoons them both.

Who gets the 5th starter spot? Dice-K showed some great stuff in the little time he was there. Lannan has to prove himself worthy & I think Mejia was always better suited for a role in the pen. My prediction? The job is Dice-K's.

Now 1st base is a total crap shoot. It'll be Big Strike & Duda down to the wire. I think it's all going to come down to the power numbers at the end of spring training. Problem here is, while Big Strike is worthy of a demotion to AAA, Duda is not. Do they trade him before the regular season starts?

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

#305672 Feb 15, 2014
Brookhaven John wrote:
The Mets expect a massive crowd of 64 players in this year's camp, including 38 pitchers and catchers.
Perhaps this year's most intriguing camp battle will unfold at first base, where Ike Davis -- whom the Mets openly tried to trade all winter -- and Lucas Duda will compete for a job. The loser could start the year in the Minors.
The Mets must also choose a fifth starter, with Jenrry Mejia trying to hold off veterans Daisuke Matsuzaka and John Lannan. Multiple bullpen jobs are up for grabs, as well, and the team must decide whether to start Eric Young, Jr. or Juan Lagares in the outfield alongside newcomers Curtis Granderson and Chris Young.
While I liked what I saw from Lagares last season, Eric Young Jr is a speed demon & that's exactly what the Mets need in CitiField. My prediction is that Lagares starts in the minors or Collins platoons them both.
Who gets the 5th starter spot? Dice-K showed some great stuff in the little time he was there. Lannan has to prove himself worthy & I think Mejia was always better suited for a role in the pen. My prediction? The job is Dice-K's.
Now 1st base is a total crap shoot. It'll be Big Strike & Duda down to the wire. I think it's all going to come down to the power numbers at the end of spring training. Problem here is, while Big Strike is worthy of a demotion to AAA, Duda is not. Do they trade him before the regular season starts?

kinda liked the lagares guy...think the 7 mil young is a waste...be interesting if any of the young stud rookie pitchers actually make the roster and start...use duda at first. do anything to keep big ike off the team as if he starts out slow again, it will be another big issue, proving the minors was a waste of time and then you cannot even get a bag of balls for him and 2 milky way candy bars....

about time to have someone on who knows about the metsies...I agree about dice k, he actually finished strong.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305673 Feb 15, 2014
According to multiple reports, utility man Emilio Bonifacio has signed a minor league contract with the Cubs.

a minorleague....ouch Cashy is snoozing ....checkbook GM
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305674 Feb 15, 2014
Girardi to team: Don't try too hard

Huh don't think he will have that problem wit' all dem ol' bones
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305675 Feb 15, 2014
Brookhaven John wrote:
The man is an athlete.

http://deadspin.com/bartolo-colon-is-still-a-...
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#305676 Feb 15, 2014
Anybody wonder why the Yankees hold Jeters training so far away from the press and fans?

No ...no one wonders.

Yanks fans just ignore the reality..

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyma...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

#305677 Feb 15, 2014
Anyone who likes hockey had to enjoy the shootout win as the announcer called it..America vs Russia.
"Bottom of the "8th inning"

NBCSports.com is showing the overtime part and shootout.

“Retired from Topix”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#305678 Feb 16, 2014
Anybody wonder why the Yankees hold Jeters training so far away from the press and fans?
No ...no one wonders.
Yanks fans just ignore the reality..
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyma...
I'll bite, so whats your full sage insights as to why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boycott the Oscars 11 min Environmentalist 3
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... 15 min Damn 2,362
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 26 min rainmaker2016 16,024
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 26 min rainmaker2016 17,583
Fox is going down (Dec '09) 1 hr 2 Dogs 6,943
We VS We (Nov '09) 1 hr 2 Dogs 2,345
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 1 hr jimi-yank 42,957

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance