Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5

“Mickey Mantle”

Since: Aug 08

565 foot home run ball

#267446 Jan 9, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Only 1 200 hit season with just as many ordinary, if not underwhelming seasons, as solid seasons statistically. Classic compiler. In the next weak class, he should be voted in...
Just not on the 1st ballot...
Rather have in the sand, blocked in stone standards for the HOF, not the BWWAA.

3,000 hits you're in.
500 Homers you are in.
300 wins you're in.

Every one else can be subjected to the stupidty of the BWWAA HOF vote.
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267447 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
3,000 hits gets my vote, same as 500 homers for any non roid user.
I agree to that 99%.....you have a Johnny Damon who is 38 stuck on 2769 hits....some pathetic joke of a team like the mets might give him a shot lol.....and if lucky maybe when Damon is 48 BINGO he gets that 3000th hit......no way should he be in the HOF....

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267448 Jan 9, 2013
Bronto wrote:
In my opinion Biggio should have made this year.
Agreed, Kings Park boy also.

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267449 Jan 9, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
gmen won and broke the niner three peat..and the rangers won in hockey in 94, and our yanks dominated....damn good decade...anyone who has the nfl network should be able to get it on demand...and its featuring the superbowls....they show the 30 minute version of the game and then they do the follow up season of the winner...all fans who have a winner will enjoy it...i kinda enjoy ripping the perfect season apart...but the bills and the 91 team is special also...
tough players..anyone recall mark bavaro?? when he first came up, taking so many guys to tackle him, one of the games, the niners, it took over 7 guys to bring him down and in the 86 year, the one they won for the first superbowl early in the season he broke his jaw during the game and came back in...and kept playing with a broken jaw...for at least 3-4 weeks till it healed..
Rangers cup win was a down tick.
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267450 Jan 9, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
true champs...they gutted it out..no quit. if you have the nfl network, check out the on demand super bowl stuff..i got a huge kick out of it...
gmen fans of last year will enjoy the gmen/rex segment when he taunted the giants...you could tell prior to the game they were really fired up...rexie was not so smart..then the 99 yard touchdown by cruz in front of rex..classic
I have both NFL and MLB network.....love that time of the year they show past SB highlights and great playoff games.......great stuff....

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267451 Jan 9, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>I agree to that 99%.....you have a Johnny Damon who is 38 stuck on 2769 hits....some pathetic joke of a team like the mets might give him a shot lol.....and if lucky maybe when Damon is 48 BINGO he gets that 3000th hit......no way should he be in the HOF....
He'd be there best OF in 2013 as they stand today, he gets 3,000 he's in automatically.

Tell me who has 3,000 hits that does not belong in the HOF? Certain career mile stones to me get you in.

So now there are style points along the way? Why?
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#267452 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather have in the sand, blocked in stone standards for the HOF, not the BWWAA.

3,000 hits you're in.
500 Homers you are in.
300 wins you're in.

Every one else can be subjected to the stupidity of the BWWAA HOF vote.
Would Gary Sheffield be automatic? No proof he was connected to PED's?...
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267453 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a great football player in high school too and turned down a scholarship for it....instead his passion was baseball and went to Seton Hall......

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267454 Jan 9, 2013
Bronto wrote:
In my opinion Biggio should have made this year.
Speaking of the Yankees and sports.

Yankees interested in Nationals' Morse: sources
By DAN MARTIN

Last Updated: 9:46 AM, January 9, 2013

Posted: 1:32 AM, January 9, 2013

The Yankees’ search for a powerful right-handed bat has broadened, with sources saying they are interested in Washington’s Michael Morse.

The 30-year-old Morse looks to be expendable after the Nationals agreed to a two-year deal with first baseman Adam LaRoche Tuesday. With LaRoche at first and three outfield spots already filled, Morse is the favorite to be moved.

Since the Yankees have a starting outfield of three lefties in Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki and Brett Gardner, general manager Brian Cashman has been trying to find a right-handed hitter to plug in.

Morse would also add some needed power to a lineup that has lost Nick Swisher, Raul Ibanez and Russell Martin, and will also be without Alex Rodriguez at least for the first half of the season.

With one year left on his contract, Morse is owed $6.75 million, which fits into the Yankees’ financial plan of not adding any money to the 2014 payroll.

Eduardo Nunez is perhaps the Yankees’ best answer at DH right now, so Morse would help there. He’s not a particularly good outfielder and he dropped from a .910 OPS with 31 homers and 95 RBIs in 2011 to a .791 OPS a year ago, with 18 home runs and 62 knocked in.

Washington is known to be looking for left-handed relief help, so Boone Logan could be a fit in a trade, along with prospects.

Cashman has repeated throughout the offseason he is content with the team’s bullpen, of which Logan is a key piece. But with limited choices on the open market to add a right-handed outfielder — hence the signing of minor-league free agents Matt Diaz and Russ Canzler — he figures to be intrigued.

Numerous teams, in addition to the Yankees, have reportedly reached out to Washington. Considering Scott Hairston is the best remaining free-agent right-handed outfielder, the pursuit is not surprising.

* The Yankees announced Tuesday they will play an exhibition game against Washington at Nationals Park on Friday, March 29 at 2:05 p.m.

Read more: New York Yankees interested in Michael Morse, Washington Nationals outfielder/first baseman - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankee...
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267455 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
He'd be there best OF in 2013 as they stand today, he gets 3,000 he's in automatically.
Tell me who has 3,000 hits that does not belong in the HOF? Certain career mile stones to me get you in.
So now there are style points along the way? Why?
I could tell who has over 4,000 hits and is not in the HOF....Pete Rose for good reason.....gambling against baseball....nah all kidding aside I agree.....Damon probably plays CF for the mets this year....that's how awful their OF is......I agree Fu 30000 hits....500 HR.....300 wins are automatic entries to the HOF......no doubt about that......

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267456 Jan 9, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Wednesday, October 6, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article Print

Major League Baseball

Playoff notes: Sheffield admits to steroids use

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK — Yankees star Gary Sheffield will not be penalized by the commissioner's office after his admission that he unknowingly used a cream two years ago that contained illegal steroids.

Sports Illustrated reported in this week's issue that the New York outfielder was supplied a cream by BALCO, the California lab at the center of a federal probe into illegal steroids distribution.

Sheffield said he applied the cream on his surgically repaired right knee in 2002. He was not told it contained an illegal steroid, the magazine said.

Under baseball's labor deal, players with major-league contracts were each tested once for steroids this season. A provision allows more frequent testing if a joint management-labor panel of physicians finds "reasonable cause."

"There is a reasonable-cause provision in the Basic Agreement, but it is limited to activity within the last 12 months. Obviously, this activity was before the 12-month window," Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, said at Yankee Stadium before last night's American League Division Series opener against Minnesota.

"The more important issue is: What are people doing today? That's why we have a testing program, and we have good information on all major-league players as a result of the testing program," Manfred said.

Sheffield also told ESPN he used another steroid called "the clear" for two months, the network reported yesterday. He said it was to aid his recovery from workouts and that he stopped using it because it wasn't helping.
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267457 Jan 9, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
His name has come up as speculation and or rumors.....like Piazza.....think allot of voters feel they both are guilty until proven innocent....

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267458 Jan 9, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>I could tell who has over 4,000 hits and is not in the HOF....Pete Rose for good reason.....gambling against baseball....nah all kidding aside I agree.....Damon probably plays CF for the mets this year....that's how awful their OF is......I agree Fu 30000 hits....500 HR.....300 wins are automatic entries to the HOF......no doubt about that......
Good for you paulie showing some stones and declaring Pete Rose a HOF. Kudos

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267459 Jan 9, 2013
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>His name has come up as speculation and or rumors.....like Piazza.....think allot of voters feel they both are guilty until proven innocent....
Don't remember which sports writer it was that wrote about this topic, but he was worried he'd elect someone who was a cheater no one knew or would not elect someone falsely accused....his point was he should based on what took place on the field. So he would vote for a cheater.

Kind of silly when you look at Clemens and Bonds stats and not elect them to the HOF even if you know they were roid users.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#267460 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
E-mail article Print

Major League Baseball

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK — Yankees star Gary Sheffield will not be penalized by the commissioner's office after his admission that he unknowingly used a cream two years ago that contained illegal steroids.

Sports Illustrated reported in this week's issue that the New York outfielder was supplied a cream by BALCO, the California lab at the center of a federal probe into illegal steroids distribution.

Sheffield said he applied the cream on his surgically repaired right knee in 2002. He was not told it contained an illegal steroid, the magazine said.

Under baseball's labor deal, players with major-league contracts were each tested once for steroids this season. A provision allows more frequent testing if a joint management-labor panel of physicians finds "reasonable cause."

"There is a reasonable-cause provision in the Basic Agreement, but it is limited to activity within the last 12 months. Obviously, this activity was before the 12-month window," Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, said at Yankee Stadium before last night's American League Division Series opener against Minnesota.

"The more important issue is: What are people doing today? That's why we have a testing program, and we have good information on all major-league players as a result of the testing program," Manfred said.

Sheffield also told ESPN he used another steroid called "the clear" for two months, the network reported yesterday. He said it was to aid his recovery from workouts and that he stopped using it because it wasn't helping.
Fair enough...
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267461 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
E-mail article Print
Major League Baseball
By The Associated Press
Forgot about all of this......great article, kudos Fu....but Sheffield was allot like Clemens, Bonds and Palmeiro in full denial and bitter enraged about it......
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#267462 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't remember which sports writer it was that wrote about this topic, but he was worried he'd elect someone who was a cheater no one knew or would not elect someone falsely accused....his point was he should based on what took place on the field. So he would vote for a cheater.
Kind of silly when you look at Clemens and Bonds stats and not elect them to the HOF even if you know they were roid users.
Thing with Clemens is.....he was great and clean for so long and then bingo he got injected with roids towards the end of his career when he was in it for the greed to prolong his career insteag of hanging up his glove and calling it a career.......still think he gets in but many years from now.....and that's what he deserves.....as for Bonds think he'd been juicing for probably half his career.....think he was headed for the HOF as well....and just as well be punished for it.....not permanently but for a good long time......If Rose did indeed gamble against the Reds whom he was managing at the time.....than he should be banned for life.....no excuses for that.....
LIAM

Davenport, FL

#267463 Jan 9, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice job FU!!!!!!!!!!
LIAM

Davenport, FL

#267464 Jan 9, 2013
Just went back 4 pages and it was nothing but excellent sports debates and opinions. Great job guys. This is exactly what it's supposed to be. The reason I pop in from time to time. Only thing missing was Harley.

“Mickey Mantle”

565 foot home run ball

#267465 Jan 9, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough...
But thats not to say he's not a HOF. Arrogant and a roid user? Yes also. But dam he could tomahawk a fastball with that bat of his.

All I grew up on in the game from the time I was a kid and could say Mickey Mantle was stats, the integrity of the game etc. That innocence is long gone, so is the era of orthoscopic surgery and Tommy John surgery. Who knows what some of the old timers pre those modern marvels stats would be?

Baseball goes back over 150 years, who's a HOF from one era to another? What modern player can compare to the profile in courage of lets say a Lou Gehrig? Who changed the game like Ruth hitting more homers in 1923 than any other team combined? The trio of Ford, Koufax and Gibson in the era of the high pitchers mound (only one player being 6 feet tall, now the average pticher is
6' 5.")?

HOF should have some sort of career stat guidelines in my opinion, secondary voting should be done by BBWWA in combination with a veterans committee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time to go? 3 min Bill 2,307
News Jews for Jesus Hit Town and Find a Tough Crowd (Jul '06) 5 min messianic114 1,386
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Business owner 54,330
Butcher Shop to Loose Funding 6 min All lives Matter 1
#Lion lives matter 10 min Business owner 1
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 24 min DBWriter 5,666
Whine and Cheese: Where are the crackers (Dec '09) 1 hr Two Dogs 820
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 2 hr jimi-yank 36,343
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages