Sag Harbor residents fear CVS, condos...

Sag Harbor residents fear CVS, condos threaten village vibe -

There are 87 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 4, 2007, titled Sag Harbor residents fear CVS, condos threaten village vibe -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Strolling through Sag Harbor in the past couple of years, James Henry felt increasingly anxious.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
FORGETABOUTIT

United States

#1 Aug 4, 2007
Having lived on the Island for 30 years ,moved to the south in the 80's and ended up Retired in Florida I had the pleasure of visiting Sag Harbor last year and loved every minute of it.My impression was it was becoming the Hamptons because of all the "uppymoblles" parked iin town.However the real estate spec. buyers will most likely spoil and destroy a great piece of LI historic past.
Sag Horror

Medford, NY

#2 Aug 4, 2007
Don't let this happen. Look what happened in Mattituck.
fwiw

United States

#3 Aug 4, 2007
Stopping it takes more courage than ever demonstrated by a bought and paid for elected official.
My opinion

Middle Island, NY

#4 Aug 4, 2007
So...CVS is OK for the rest of us?
paul

Elizabeth, NJ

#5 Aug 4, 2007
The trashing of long island by greedy developers continues. can you imagine the pastoral beauty of the countryside ruined by ugly outsized commercial buildings and sprawling networks of trashy mcmansions in this beautiful and historic town.? To long islanders, it is a nighmare and should be resisted forcefully with every means we have.!
JAMAICAN ME ANGRY

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Aug 4, 2007
effin' snobs.
rtg

Suffern, NY

#7 Aug 4, 2007
I just had a wonderful visit to sag harbor. We dined at B Smith's and enjoyed a great theater experiance at B Way theater. It would be a great diservice to all Long Islander's to have this beautiful town comercialized by Mc Mansions and Big Box stores. We visit three or four times a year in all seasons and always have a relaxing beautiful day. KEEP THE TOWN AS QUIANT AS IT IS.
DuMont Burger

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Aug 4, 2007
No CVS. Not in town.
The Bulova factory should be developed - it's been an eyesore for years.
Sag is the closest un-Hampton to the Hamptons.
To go from East Hampton to Sag on NY 114 is a refreshing change of pace ... most of the time.
PJW

Yonkers, NY

#9 Aug 4, 2007
Stop the CVS from ever becoming a store and any cost. They will turn your town into every other boring Box side sea scape metropolis. You need a store like that like we need higher taxes. You have my full support.
screwed

AOL

#10 Aug 4, 2007
of course it would but it doesnt matter it will never stop now welcome to the united states of sim city
Mad Cow

New York, NY

#11 Aug 4, 2007
East end farmers have sadly sold parcels of their crop fields to these money monger developers. Kiss goodbye the heritage of the east end.
Sag Harbor's plight of wanting to remain rich and snobby actually makes sense to this middle class working man.
Yet without a CVS, where would all the day laborers get their medicine?
sowhat

Bangkok, Thailand

#12 Aug 5, 2007
It is called progress,not in my backyard attitudes have to change.
against

Pearl River, NY

#13 Aug 5, 2007
We are just a little Village.Please leave us alone. As it is you can't see The Harbor for the Yacht's. Traffic is manic on Main St. merging from Madison,and bumper to bumper to Bay.ATM's are empty by Sunday ,and parking is non existent.
We do not want or need a CVS a supermarket or department store. We welcome Tourist who enjoy our Historic setting. Let the Million dollar Condo's at Long Beach Give the developers pause.
Spanky

Bronx, NY

#14 Aug 5, 2007
I went out to Baiting Hollow last year with my son to the Scout camp. As we were driving there i told him about all of the huge Farms that he would see before we got to Camp. I hadn't been out that way for about 20 years. When we got closer to the Scout camp he kept asking about the farms. THEY ARE ALL PRACTICALLY GONE!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all of the development that has gone on out there. I was heartbroken. Long Island is gone. Yeah it's still an Island but the charm that brought so many here has been destroyed by greed. What a shame. I asked him if he wanted to go back to Camp this Summer and he just said, Nah, I can see the same thing if I stay at home.The Land Developers will have their way in Sag Harbor someday also. Sad.
JimBrownDog

Bronx, NY

#15 Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for the mostly supportive comments. Unfortunately, most people don't know the half of it. I'm a lifelong resident of Sag Harbor, and can trace my roots here back to one of the three founding families of this town, the Fordham's. I live in the house that has been in my family for three generations.

Now,Sag Harbor is headed for a major train wreck. As we know, money always wins. Yes, the Bulova factory should be saved, and I believe it can be done tastefully with the correct oversight. However,condo's on the waterfront will certainly be the first step in ruining the charactor of this historic place.

As to CVS, it's not the corporation per se that is the problem. It's the size of the proposed store. We don't need a mega pharmacy of that size in this town. There is already a huge Rite-Aid less than four miles from here. The article didn't mention that this store will evict a very popular chinese take-out. It's the only one for miles. Also many other established businesses that we have come to rely on over the years. At the current price of real estate in this village, many of them may not be financially capable of finding a new location.

I fear the end is near. Guess we'll see what the residents of this town are really made of in the ensuing fight. There is not enough of the old guard left who really have a vested interest in preserving our heritage. As I said, the money will win!
JimBrownDog

Bronx, NY

#16 Aug 5, 2007
I don't know why my previous post lists me from Flushing, but I can assure you I live right here in Sag Harbor full time.
Spanky

Bronx, NY

#17 Aug 5, 2007
JimBrownDog wrote:
I don't know why my previous post lists me from Flushing, but I can assure you I live right here in Sag Harbor full time.
I know what you're saying. I don't live in West Islip.
Sad

Bronx, NY

#18 Aug 5, 2007
Spanky wrote:
I went out to Baiting Hollow last year with my son to the Scout camp. As we were driving there i told him about all of the huge Farms that he would see before we got to Camp. I hadn't been out that way for about 20 years. When we got closer to the Scout camp he kept asking about the farms. THEY ARE ALL PRACTICALLY GONE!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all of the development that has gone on out there. I was heartbroken. Long Island is gone. Yeah it's still an Island but the charm that brought so many here has been destroyed by greed. What a shame. I asked him if he wanted to go back to Camp this Summer and he just said, Nah, I can see the same thing if I stay at home.The Land Developers will have their way in Sag Harbor someday also. Sad.
You're absolutely correct. The North Fork and LI in general is being destroyed by greedy developers who don't give a damn about destroying this beautiful Island. The saving grace has been the vinyards that have taken over many farms. We are seeing the slow destruction of Long Island.
North Shore tragedy

Oceanside, NY

#19 Aug 5, 2007
Come to Nassau County and see the destruction that has been caused by CVS and other chain stores. We started out with one CVS, now we have three; plus a Walgreen's, Eckerd's, 2 Dunkin Donuts and 2 Starbucks. Our main street mom and pop stores were put out of business by chain stores and the downtown lost all its charm. Many stores were replaced by bodegas. This is progress?
don c

Pearl River, NY

#20 Aug 5, 2007
It's quite ironic that an affluent community like Sag Harbor- a symbol of capitalist America, rejects the spread of corporate America into their own community. Gee, perhaps now it becomes clearer as to why the rest of the non-American world has resentment towards the "American Way". Sometimes the big picture only becomes clear when it appears in your own backyard. This place is becoming a capitalistic abortion and is imploding day by day. A distinct "pyramid scheme", where the top percent gobble up everything and the rest follow along like fools- manipulated by elitist controlled media and government... Anybody got a Prozac??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last post wins! (Jun '10) 9 min Princess Hey 26,864
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 45 min Build the wall 367,083
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 4 hr Xmasseaon 18,771
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 5 hr winner 20,006
The ENEMA of The PEOPLE ! - Donald Jailbird Tr... 6 hr Sir Honcho 9
The United Hates of America (Sep '10) 6 hr Sir Honcho 3,525
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 6 hr Paul Yanks 8,773
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 6 hr Bloody Bill Anderson 10,085
jets talk back (Dec '07) 9 hr Paul Yanks 18,382

New York Jobs

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages