Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,726)

Showing posts 34,501 - 34,520 of43,034
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Lunatics on the left discover that ice melts!!! The world is coming to an end!!!
Another country heard from! In this case, California, the land of fruits and nuts! Which one are you?!

My GGrandma thought the world was coming to an end in the 60's, the way we were acting. It didn't.

No soup for you! Back to the books!
EXPERT

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. When the atmosphere and oceans get warmer, ice melts. No. Even if all the ice in Antarctica melts the whole world will not be flooded, the movie "Water World" notwithstanding. It would only raise sea levels about 200 feet.
Oh! By the way, what is the elevation of San Francisco?
I see you get your science from Hollywood, figures.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another country heard from! In this case, California, the land of fruits and nuts! Which one are you?!
My GGrandma thought the world was coming to an end in the 60's, the way we were acting. It didn't.
Another one that depends on Seinfeld for science...that explains a lot.
Retired Farmer

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Caveman, we just as well give up and let them believe what they want to believe. It's a lost cause. A lot of leaders around the world - and the U.S. military - have already concluded that trying to mitigate the damage by reducing CO2 emission is a lost cause and are making plans to deal with the consequences. If the "Expert" in San Francisco wants to think it doesn't matter, let him.

What's it to you and me if all the polar ice caps melt? My old high school geology book says that if all the ice melted the seas would only rise 240 feet. We're two old Southern boys that live in places that are at over 400 feet elevation.

'Course San Francisco is only 91 feet, but, hey, all those wrecked, submerged buildings ought to make a great artificial reef. Good fishing.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>lol....no, i'm not a paid poster, son.
politics have little to do with climate change from where i stand, but i can see it has everything to do with the subject where your crowd is concerned.
the science hasn't made a study showing what benefit co2 mitigation will actually accomplish. it's very unscientific to promote something that you haven't even tested.
One might turn and ask, prove to us that God exists, is it Allah or Jesus or is it Buddha. Which one is the head honcho and while your at it who should we ask for forgiveness for messing up the home that was given us. That should be on par with your mitigation question.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
One might turn and ask, prove to us that God exists, is it Allah or Jesus or is it Buddha. Which one is the head honcho and while your at it who should we ask for forgiveness for messing up the home that was given us. That should be on par with your mitigation question.
interesting comparison, son!!
bingo.....i think you've hit the nail on the head with this one.
the existence of God and global warming are both faith based. Nothing factual....just your belief.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>interesting comparison, son!!
the existence of God and global warming are both faith based. Nothing factual....just your belief.
If it were faith based then all that science you ignore is a REAL leap of faith! Faith is about believing in the unknown, science is about acquired knowledge and facts giving us the tools to observe and make conclusions on the outcomes. Whether be a vaccine to cure polio or land man on the moon. Its all science based, no faith involved and its exactly the same with global warming.
Kyle

Columbia City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
The pace of experimental refinement to man made global warming theory hasn't sped up; zero is still zero. Take the exciting upward sweep of the Keeling Kurve© or the Hockey Stick and compare them to the flatline of climate mitigation experiments. What a bummer!
STFU you anti-science troll.

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003500/...
Kyle

Columbia City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>interesting comparison, son!!
STFU you anti-science troll.

Kyle

Columbia City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

"The data come from NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York (GISS), which monitors global surface temperatures. As NASA notes,“All 10 of the warmest years in the GISS analysis have occurred since 1998, continuing a trend of temperatures well above the mid-20th century average.""
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Caveman, we just as well give up and let them believe what they want to believe. It's a lost cause. A lot of leaders around the world - and the U.S. military - have already concluded that trying to mitigate the damage by reducing CO2 emission is a lost cause and are making plans to deal with the consequences. If the "Expert" in San Francisco wants to think it doesn't matter, let him.
What's it to you and me if all the polar ice caps melt? My old high school geology book says that if all the ice melted the seas would only rise 240 feet. We're two old Southern boys that live in places that are at over 400 feet elevation.
'Course San Francisco is only 91 feet, but, hey, all those wrecked, submerged buildings ought to make a great artificial reef. Good fishing.
I agree somewhat, but there's more to it than rising seas.

The polar regions have been referred to as the air conditioners of the world. As a Southerner, you should realize the importance of air conditioning.

Also, if too much of the permafrost goes and locked-up methane is released (as is happening now), no amount of mitigation we could dream of will stop the natural process.
Retired Farmer

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree somewhat, but there's more to it than rising seas.
The polar regions have been referred to as the air conditioners of the world. As a Southerner, you should realize the importance of air conditioning.
Also, if too much of the permafrost goes and locked-up methane is released (as is happening now), no amount of mitigation we could dream of will stop the natural process.
True. But then the crunch is far enough in the future that we'll probably be dead by then.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a good idea to screw up the planet for future generations, but the deniers and "CO2 is good for you" types don't seem to care about the future.

Oh! Almost fogot. I came pretty close to starting a fist fight between two Bible thumper types over the weekend. One is a fellow that believes that human induced climate change is impossible because God is in charge of the weather and there is a verse in the Old Testament that says there will always be a season to plant and a season to harvest. The other is an "the End Times are nigh" type who insists that global warming is one of the plagues of the Tribulations. It ended up with each one calling the other a heretic and an infidel.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were faith based then all that science you ignore is a REAL leap of faith! Faith is about believing in the unknown, science is about acquired knowledge and facts giving us the tools to observe and make conclusions on the outcomes. Whether be a vaccine to cure polio or land man on the moon. Its all science based, no faith involved and its exactly the same with global warming.
well you must know something everyone else doesn't! what effects will mitigation make exactly?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

Kyle wrote:
<quoted text> STFU you anti-science troll.
lol.....ALWAYS demanding other people do what you refuse to do yourself. typical....so typical.

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

riteupmyarsehole wrote:
you're exactly right, my climate change denial has everything to do with bigotry since I'm just a little nazi. i became a nasty Denier punk because of my hatred and desire to destroy anyone that doesn't agree with me. lol.....just like hitler.
Don't expect any handshakes from me, then.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't expect any handshakes from me, then.
lol.....poor, dishonest, little nazi!!

shame on you.

Rewording my moniker is one thing, but rewording entire posts is quite another.

But propaganda, lies, misrepresentations, and utter dishonesty was the same thing they did back in 1930's Germany. The fruit doesn't fall from the tree, huh, adolf?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

riteupmyarsehole wrote:
shame on you......don't be mean, I'm just a poor, dishonest, little nazi!! Rewording my moniker is a good thing, but rewording entire posts is quite another. It mocks my utter dishonesty!
But propaganda, lies, misrepresentations, and utter dishonesty was the same thing they did back in 1930's Germany. You can tell from me that the fruit doesn't fall from the tree, huh? I'm just another adolf.
That you are, loser. Now go away.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
That you are, loser. Now go away.
you don't control public forums, chancellor.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

riteupmyarsehole wrote:
you don't control public forums, I DO...I am the chancellor, I control them with my mind...and the power of the swastika...
No surprise that a nazi like you is also a mental case, I guess...:)

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
No surprise that a nazi like you is also a mental case, I guess...:)
lol....but, son, it's you who chooses to bask in your neurosis and stupidity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 34,501 - 34,520 of43,034
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

47 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 15 min Eric 65,194
Thin cereal boxes 33 min Consumer green 1
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 34 min Bitner 303,277
paul ryan’s republican budget 35 min nac 15
Knicks talk back (Dec '06) 1 hr HarleyRyder 6,291
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Poor for ever 6,192
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr Paul Yanks 302,143
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••
•••
•••

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE