Long Island health officials ready fo...

Long Island health officials ready for mosquito battle

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from May 2, 2008, titled Long Island health officials ready for mosquito battle. In it, Newsday reports that:

Mosquito season began Monday, and the Nassau County Health Department will soon begin its annual war on the tiny insects that are sometimes deadly, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Goldwater

Oceanside, NY

#1 May 2, 2008
Why has Newsday disabled the comment boards on so many articles?(Hence, the post here).

Are there certain topics they don't want people to be able to talk about it?

Leave it to journalists to close down ordinary people's opinions - all the while fear-mongering about lost liberties.

Pathetic.

Please Rupert Murdoch, come and save us from Newsday!
ricky

United States

#2 May 2, 2008
Really frustrating - they took all the fun out of venting.
Goldwater wrote:
Why has Newsday disabled the comment boards on so many articles?(Hence, the post here).
Leave it to journalists to close down ordinary people's opinions - all the while fear-mongering about lost liberties.
Pathetic.
Fetcher

Rocky Point, NY

#3 May 2, 2008
Hey, knock it off! They're trying to sell the paper, and the comments about the poor reporting and the like could cause a buyer to understand just how worthless this rag is. Then the pitch to advertisers about the upscale Long Island readership goes down in flames when at least half of the posters sound like rednecks.

You should go along with the program here, let the paper be sold, and have a good laugh at the expense of the new owner. <snicker>
willie wonka

Dover, NJ

#4 May 2, 2008
send out the bug trucks
john rotten

Newark, NJ

#7 May 3, 2008
bring back the DDT
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#8 May 3, 2008
Why is it no matter how many zillions of dollars they spend on this every year, I still have hoards of mosquitoes in my backyard?
David Moskowitz MD FACP

Miami Beach, FL

#10 May 3, 2008
My biotech company has had encouraging results treating West Nile virus encephalitis since 2003: 81% treatment success rate in people (22 of 27), 75% in horses (6 of 8), and 50% in birds (6 of 12).

Our approach works best when people first have symptoms of a fever and headache. But we’ve been able to help people even a few years after the initial episode of WNV encephalitis.

Our first 8 WNV patients were published in a peer-reviewed medical journal in 2004 (1). We’re eager to see if our approach works again this year.

The drugs we use are already approved by the FDA for blood pressure. They seem to be anti-inflammatory, too. People with a normal immune system who get sick from the West Nile virus appear to overdo their immune response to the virus. Our approach is meant to gently calm down their exaggerated immune response, the so-called “cytokine storm.” It can be used in the very old, the very young, and everybody in between.

It can also be used for almost any virus except the herpes viruses, which is why our approach was included in the BioShield II Act of April 28, 2005, co-sponsored by Senators Lieberman, Hatch, and Brownback. The bill was never debated, but our approach was mentioned in Section 2151 ( http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd... ). In 2004, I briefed the White House and the Dept of Homeland Security about it. The UN is aware of our approach in the context of bird flu, although they haven’t tested it, preferring to push Roche’s drug Tamiflu instead.

The drugs we use cost about $1 a tablet. We use one or two pills a day. They’re carried in every drugstore on earth. You have to admit, if it works, that this would be a pretty sweet deal for public health!

Anybody who wants to download our WNV trial protocol can do so for free at any time by clicking on the "West Nile trial" link on our company’s homepage at www.genomed.com .

Reference

1: Moskowitz DW, Johnson FE. The central role of angiotensin I-converting enzyme in vertebrate pathophysiology. Curr Top Med Chem. 2004;4(13):1433-54. PMID: 15379656 (For PDF file, click on paper #6 at: http://www.genomed.com/index.cfm... )-- see Table 2 for WNV patients

Sincerely,
Dave Moskowitz MD FACP
CEO, GenoMed, Inc.
www.genomed.com
“The public health company™”
Ticker symbol: GMED (on the Pink Sheets)

Since: Sep 07

Milwaukee, WI

#11 May 3, 2008
Goldwater wrote:
Pathetic.
We can always try starting our own discussions on the topix page, but Newsday may try to censor that too. I don't always like some of the posts on here, but that all comes under our right to free speech - our Constitutional right, that is. So, Newsday, stop playing censor - that's NOT guaranteed by the Constitution.
Jay

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 May 3, 2008
david. I got bit by a mosqyito on the buttocks.oh so red and sore. what to do?
joey ramone

Newark, NJ

#13 May 3, 2008
D.D.T. did a job on me, now i am a real sickie, guess i have to tell now i got no celeberum. all the girls are in love with me, i'm a teenage lobotomy
MCR

Astoria, NY

#15 May 3, 2008
liner wrote:
Why is it no matter how many zillions of dollars they spend on this every year, I still have hoards of mosquitoes in my backyard?
Try brushing your teeth and washing yourself with a rag on a stick, you fat bstardo!

Fish Billy!!!
Seagull

Hartsdale, NY

#16 May 4, 2008
I am curious about what they will be spraying at the Marsh area at Jones Beach. This is a nature area were we should let nature take care of itself.
Are these larvicides poisonous to people, birds and fish? Is it a Microbial Larvicide, or the toxic sprays?
"Later in the season, Public Works will begin its aerial applications of larvicide in the non-populated areas in the salt marshes off Jones Beach."
Spike

Rocky Point, NY

#17 May 4, 2008
Call in an airstrike on the south shore. Fuel up the choppers and load up the malethione. Douche it down from Jones beach to the Hamptons!

“Continually Updated from Net”

Since: Jan 07

A PBS place in an MTV world

#18 May 4, 2008
Yes as We Kill Off Birds that eat these things & other Birds Like the Following vegetarians

Ducks' deaths not doing 'anybody's image any good' as Canada Geese Die in Sydney Tar Ponds

I'm not here to make any excuses for the particular event that occurred in the last few days. It's a terrible event. It's not going to do anybody's image any good. PM

Canadians expect better environmental protection to prevent incidents such as the death of 500 ducks earlier this week in an oilsands tailings pond, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Thursday...

http://www.topix.com/world/canada/2008/05/duc...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God Bless America is a Song for Church Not Poli... 3 min Culture Auditor 1
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 16 min YANKEES 4 LIFE 324,762
Time to go? (Jun '15) 19 min Enough Already 7,607
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 50 min Advocate 310,643
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 2 hr SweLL GirL 12,718
News This dog walker probably makes more money than ... 2 hr TW_sugar_daddio 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Earthling-1 57,168
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages