Why Do Girls Give You Their Number When They Are Not Interested?

Posted in the New York Forum

First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Mahwah, NJ

#1 Jul 18, 2010
This summer, I have been making a concerted effort to meet more women and make friends with them so I might find a girlfriend. Before, I was very shy about things like that and kept to myself when it came to meeting new people. I'm a personable guy but generally didn't "hit on" women regularly.

One thing I've been noticing is the practice of girls giving you their phone number and then just not answering the phone, not answering text messages, and/or acting like the person on the other end is not alive. It's mystifying - what the hell is so hard about:

1) Saying no. I am a grown man and don't really care. I'm interested - if you aren't, that's not the first time, won't be the last and I'm probably better off.

2) Giving me a fake number. That way, when I call, I find out you're not interested. Is this nice? No. Is it ethical? No. But at least I know where I stand when it happens.

There is something wrong with the female race that I don't know how to describe but you people are twisted.
Anya

New York, NY

#2 Jul 18, 2010
Guys have made giving out a false # virtually impossible. Most of the men will call the # you give them right away so "you'll have their #", but really it's to make sure the # you gave them is legit. I don't know about others girls, but I cannot look a guy in the face & refuse to give him my # and/or jus flat out tell him im not interested. Maybe that means I'm "twisted", but I can live with that.

Mahwah, NJ

#3 Jul 18, 2010
Anya wrote:
Guys have made giving out a false # virtually impossible. Most of the men will call the # you give them right away so "you'll have their #", but really it's to make sure the # you gave them is legit. I don't know about others girls, but I cannot look a guy in the face & refuse to give him my # and/or jus flat out tell him im not interested. Maybe that means I'm "twisted", but I can live with that.
A good point. I don't do that, but I know guys who do.

So when they call you or text you, what's the reaction? I mean, is it mockery, is it anger? What was the worst experience you had with a guy having your number that you didn't like?
Seriously

Lorton, VA

#4 Jul 18, 2010
The Real Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
One thing I've been noticing is the practice of girls giving you their phone number and then just not answering the phone, not answering text messages, and/or acting like the person on the other end is not alive. It's mystifying - what the hell is so hard about:
And females have been noticing for decades males that say they will call and don't. Hey, if things get really stagnant, there's always ETH.
Spider

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jul 18, 2010
Its happened to me a few times. I think the reasons for it span from her not having the heart to reject you to your face ... to keeping her options open and waiting to see what she can get out of you.

I used to think only the crazy ones like me, but now I realize that they're all crazy.

“Slightly below above-average”

arguably garrulous

#6 Jul 18, 2010
All of the phone numbers I get are real. I have a cologne that smells like money.
Long Island Gal

Amityville, NY

#7 Jul 18, 2010
Same reason why Guys say they'll call and don't. I guess it's to be polite.
Long Island Gal

Amityville, NY

#8 Jul 18, 2010
A guy I know told me when he would go up to a girl and ask her to dance, if she said "No" he would say, "Oh that's okay. I'm starting at the bottom."
I thought that was too funny.

Mahwah, NJ

#9 Jul 18, 2010
Long Island Gal wrote:
Same reason why Guys say they'll call and don't. I guess it's to be polite.
I'm guilty of this. I guess I get what I deserve.

“Dum Di Dum”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 18, 2010
The thing is, when I did say (politely/neat) "Let us be friends", I did sometimes get nasty comments back. Itīs never easy to tell the truth and few people donīt even want to hear it.
4evryng

Levittown, NY

#11 Jul 18, 2010
JustRightNow wrote:
The thing is, when I did say (politely/neat) "Let us be friends", I did sometimes get nasty comments back. Itīs never easy to tell the truth and few people donīt even want to hear it.
Telling a guy "let's be friends" is more of a rejection then telling him you're not interested thus the nasty comments in return. As a guy, and maybe it's just me, but I'd rather the girl tell me up front that she just isn't interested instead of phony numbers or I want to be just friends. Now if she were to tell me that she'd like to be friends first, with the potential of something more, I'd go along with that.

“Dum Di Dum”

Location hidden

#12 Jul 18, 2010
4evryng wrote:
<quoted text> the girl tell me up front that she just isn't interested instead of phony numbers or I want to be just friends.
Thatīs what I was meaning, sorry, if I was not clear enough (American is not my first language). Itīs never an easy situation and fairness is the best way to go even if it might be disappointing. I do also prefer meeting a man telling me the true, then letting me hope, something could happen. It might hurt, but thatīs ok.

Since: Aug 09

Lat:40.853343 Lon:-73.20777

#13 Jul 18, 2010
This summer, I have been making a concerted effort to meet more women and make friends with them so I might find a girlfriend. Before, I was very shy about things like that and kept to myself when it came to meeting new people. I'm a personable guy but generally didn't "hit on" women regularly.
1) Saying no. I am a grown man and don't really care. I'm interested - if you aren't, that's not the first time, won't be the last and I'm probably better off.
2) Giving me a fake number. That way, when I call, I find out you're not interested. Is this nice? No. Is it ethical? No. But at least I know where I stand when it happens.
There is something wrong with the female race that I don't know how to describe but you people are twisted.
First, you're a 30 year-old man, why are you hitting on girls and not women?

Second, Not all women are born with an innate "Loser Detector." Keep trying you may get lucky sooner or later.

Third, most women are attracted to a strong, confident, intelligent man. Which means you still have a lot of work to do.

“Lovely year for a Guinness”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#14 Jul 19, 2010
you can do it; try to maintain proper eye contact, keep your thumbs to yourself and be nice. Doesn't always work but it's a start. Changing Times Pub in Farmingdale... Wednesday's and Thursday's.

“Lovely year for a Guinness”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#15 Jul 19, 2010
tammie lynn wrote:
<quoted text>
First, you're a 30 year-old man, why are you hitting on girls and not women?
Second, Not all women are born with an innate "Loser Detector." Keep trying you may get lucky sooner or later.
Third, most women are attracted to a strong, confident, intelligent man. Which means you still have a lot of work to do.
Exactly; Changing Times Pub in Farmingdale, Wednesday's and Thursday's. Look for "Jimmy", first round is on him

arguably garrulous

#16 Jul 19, 2010
Guinness Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly; Changing Times Pub in Farmingdale, Wednesday's and Thursday's. Look for "Jimmy", first round is on him
It would be easier for us to spot him if he showed up wearing a tophat and ordered 10 trays of poppers.

Changing Times has some nicely-curved bartenderesses.

Location hidden

#17 Jul 19, 2010
Interesting,I seem to get another approache I have men(mostly younger) who ask me if they can give me "their "number this seems less drama to me as the guy knows if I don't call then I am not intrested it seems easire to take than the fake # which is very rude.

arguably garrulous

#18 Jul 19, 2010
Beth Page wrote:
Interesting,I seem to get another approache I have men(mostly younger) who ask me if they can give me "their "number this seems less drama to me as the guy knows if I don't call then I am not intrested it seems easire to take than the fake # which is very rude.
I'm #18 Beth... message me!
not saying

United States

#19 Jul 19, 2010
I always had the most success on Saturday nights. I think it's still considered 'date' night for most couples. If you meet a girl/woman on a Saturday night, chances are there's no significant other involved. Pickins are slimmer but more reliable.

“Trying is...”

Since: Feb 08

the first step towards failure

#21 Jul 19, 2010
Still beats marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 23 min Tourista 309,741
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr Unbiased_Padre Fan 315,718
What time is the march for the cop that got sho... 1 hr jimi-yank 3
Fun ;) 1 hr Eileen Weir 1
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 1 hr suffolkIII 12,300
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr litesong 52,979
Run,Run, Run, The Republicans are Coming! (Jan '11) 5 hr Black 1,725
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]