Woman dies after nurse says no to CPR

Mar 4, 2013 Full story: WTOP-FM Washington 9

A nurse's refusal to give CPR to a dying 87-year-old woman at a California independent living home despite desperate pleas from a 911 dispatcher has prompted outrage and spawned a criminal investigation.

Full Story
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

#1 Mar 4, 2013
The Nurse should be tested to see if she was on any type of pharmaceutical mind drugs including anti-depressants and Statin drugs in past years.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#2 Mar 5, 2013
It sounds so very bad but there may be another side to this. If the elderly woman who died had filled out the paperwork requesting “DNR” or Do Not Resuscitate. That Nurse would be in a lot of legal problems if she performed CPR.

Some elderly people don’t want to be resuscitated and their families support their decision. Now if this had been a case of a child or young person and she refused to give CPR. She should have her licenses removed.
Sheik Yerbouti

New Hope, PA

#3 Mar 5, 2013
I hope the relatives are ready with a good lawyer. The 'nurse' should lose her license and face murder charges!

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#4 Mar 5, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
I hope the relatives are ready with a good lawyer. The 'nurse' should lose her license and face murder charges!
In reality only one in ten have success with recovering with CPR.

Since: Apr 12

Willcox, AZ

#5 Mar 8, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
It sounds so very bad but there may be another side to this. If the elderly woman who died had filled out the paperwork requesting “DNR” or Do Not Resuscitate. That Nurse would be in a lot of legal problems if she performed CPR.
Some elderly people don’t want to be resuscitated and their families support their decision. Now if this had been a case of a child or young person and she refused to give CPR. She should have her licenses removed.
Hi, Yes I thought of that too, then why bother calling 911 to begin with.
And that nurse never said DNR ........

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#6 Mar 9, 2013
joanNYadoptees wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Yes I thought of that too, then why bother calling 911 to begin with.
And that nurse never said DNR ........
good point
Forever Yours

Duluth, GA

#7 Mar 9, 2013
What gave the nurse the right to decide life or death ?
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#8 Mar 17, 2013
Contracts for living arrangement and employment dictate the action of the nurse and what can be expected to the elder in the nursing home in a time of personal crisis. Mental mind drugs prescribed to the elderly is a problem of falls and memory loss along with side effects and should be addressed.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#9 May 7, 2013
i cannot blame her for not doing CPR aside from following protocols, maybe she doesnt know how to do it properly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio and U.S. companies in demand for truck dri... (Nov '12) Sat xxxraytred 19
Nurse anesthetists aren't the same as anesthesi... (Sep '10) Dec 22 spaaqua19 119
Planning Your Long-Term Care Strategy? 5 Things... Dec 20 Cheska Ramirez 1
child rape and victim support Dec 19 Henu 2
Doctors and nurses working with critically ill ... Dec 19 Henu 2
34 Indian nurses being evacuated from Libya Dec 17 Nuhor Lir Gurenna 1
Baby born in flight aboard airliner over Califo... Dec 15 DILF 30
More from around the web