St. Joseph Hospital places ICU nurses on leave

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

Four St. Joseph Hospital intensive care unit nurses and a clinical nursing supervisor have recently been placed on administrative leave, but hospital administrators are remaining tight-lipped about the reason.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of149
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
how funny

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Embedded in between the posts are ads by the St. Joseph Health System:

Ads by Google
St Joseph Hospital Jobs - Find Local & National Job Listings- Post a Resume & Get Career Advice
careers.msn.com
Ascension OT Class Action - Hourly Hospital Employees- Not Paid for Lunch? Visit:
www.hospitalovertime.com
LVN to RN Programs - Get Your AS in Nursing in Four Semesters. LA,OC & Ontario Campuses

Now that's funny!
Wonderz

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Anonymous wrote:
The fiscal problems of community hospitals and over worked staff can be directly related to the gross liberal spending in areas that do not properly reflect the will of the community. How much money has been lost to area hospitals to illegal immigrants for example?
Stopping free health care for non citizens would definately help our hospitals.
You want yer kids attending schools with untreated illegal children? Wow, seems shortsighted.
concerned citizen

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

It is time for St. Joseph to be exposed. They are locking up the patients and doctors in the community to close down our only free-choice hospital (Mad River) and run our health care by the Catholic dogma. There is so much going on at St. Joseph - money being thrown at ways to control the patients, while crying poor to the workers and community - where are the reporters? It is frightening and the public must become aware. Write congressman Thompson to stop the government from giving more of our tax dollars to this out-of-the-area large corporation. Good doctors and nurses are being fired and lives ruined when a worker demands to put patient care before power or money.
non-profit is a lie

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

"If this were a public, not a private, hospital the Freedom of Information Act forms would be filed, but they would have already known that and told us the story anyway."

St. Joseph robs this community by not paying taxes. to my mind, any institution that does not pay taxes ought to account to the community that subsidizes it as to where the non-taxed funds are spent. Parties? High CEO salary? Doctor bribes? Why are so many palms being greased, and there is a wage-freeze?

Ask YOUR doctor if he is getting money from St. Joseph, and then consider a second opinion - out of Humboldt County.
pilot vs heart

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

This ought to be post #25, but it is being removed by someone. An airline does not send a flight over the Atlantic without 2 pilots. We saw recently that a pilot died in flight, and the co-pilot safely took over. What happens in a heart program with one heart surgeon? No back up? Not much volume? It is not safe, but it makes money.
Read "Critical Conditions: The Essential Hospital Guide to Get Your Loved One Out Alive." It takes effort.
San Francisco Seattle

Riverton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

flonightingale wrote:
These nurses are fabulous. When you are critically ill, they are advocating for you. They are the ones most trained and also are part of the Heart Program. There is no heart program now. So when you get your chest pain, where do you go? The questions one should be asking, is why they have never been told why they are being disciplined? This is an outrage and it puts our community at risk. Where do you want your loved one taken care of when you are sick?
Certainly not Eureka--unless you are really depressed and need a way out.
Mark

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Anonymous wrote:
If this were a public, not a private, hospital the Freedom of Information Act forms would be filed, but they would have already known that and told us the story anyway.
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? The Freedom of Information Act applies only to US Federal Government agency documents, and even then not to ongoing investigations and personnel matters.

St Joseph Hospital is a private institution and is under no obligation whatsoever to divulge details about its operation, including ongoing - or even concluded - personnel matters, unless they pertain to possible criminal activity, in which case they must inform the authorities (police, DA, etc.) but not the public.
Domino 21

Palo Cedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

OK, here is the proverbial dose of cold water. By Law we cannot know what the reason for their suspension. But they are almost certainly part of a union that will protect them against anything. CNA and the other Nurses unions are in place for a single reason. To ensure that their clients get paid very well. Your health as a patient is tertiery at best. Doc must be paid, Nurse must be paid, and facility must be paid, and when that fails to happen.

I Have a wonderful Idea. Lets send anyone that plays games with health care to Venezuela and have them learn the tricks.
anonymous

Arcata, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Bet you a dollar they were stealing drugs.
Mojo

Durham, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

I do know that the Catholic hospitals send their critical cases to Redding ......in most cases .......and which hospital in Redding?.......of course, another Catholic hospital........Mercy......... where I was overdosed with nitro and could have died.
The nitro was free falling into my body. I was about to pass out when my daughter who was with me in ICU saw it and called it to the attention of the nurse who was putting the drips in place.
I had four daughters there shortly thereafter when my heart doctor came in. He was told of the incident and he said he had heard about it.
One daughter told him she wanted it noted in the hospital records and his.
I left the hospital in fear , being told my insurance wouldn't pay my bill if I let. Nurses ignored me . I had been left on a potty , which had flowed over ........more nonsence.
a week later I requested my records from Mery in Redding and from my heart doctor.
Neither had noted the incident in their records.
I wouldn't go there again if I were dying and got another heart doctor.
There is a grand hospital in Redding that is up to date on all equipment and staff are A-1.
It is Shasta Regional.
anonymous

Arcata, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Never go to a hospital that is run by ANY religious group.
Wheres Rich G

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Rich G. was supposed to turn in financial documents on Wednesday the 24th earlier this week. So where's the Times Standard story?
concerned

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

I'm a past employee of St. Joseph hospital and I find it interesting that the ICU medical director and four nurses are being teminated. Something very wrong must have happened in order for something of this magnitude to arise. The Good Ole' Boys club exists at St. Joseph and the physicians and surgeons protect their own. I can wait to hear what has happened.
concerned

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

Mark wrote:
<quoted text>You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? The Freedom of Information Act applies only to US Federal Government agency documents, and even then not to ongoing investigations and personnel matters.
St Joseph Hospital is a private institution and is under no obligation whatsoever to divulge details about its operation, including ongoing - or even concluded - personnel matters, unless they pertain to possible criminal activity, in which case they must inform the authorities (police, DA, etc.) but not the public.
FYI. St. Joseph is a non-profit organization.
flonightingale

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

anonymous wrote:
Bet you a dollar they were stealing drugs.
Well, you would lose your dollar. These are the most trustworthy individuals you have ever met or taken care of you and if it was drugs, they would have already been drug tested and placed in a rehab program. So save your judgements
anonymous

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

Flo sounds like one of the four.
Mojo

Durham, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

Drug testing for anyone in the medical field.........that has to be a laugh.
Gossip will eventually let you know what the problem was but allot of people in the medical field are on drugs.
There was probably an abused patient and all kept it quiet.
It a nurse turns in a doctor or a superior, they get the ax so allot of nurses turn their heads to malpractice things.
There is more that goes on in hospitals than one would even imagine that is covered up.
We would not be human if we didn't make errors but not to let it be known.........is dead wrong.
anonymous

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

The doctor was horrible and it's a good thing he is gone however the nurses where wonderful I still know the names of some of them and hope they are not the ones in question.
anonymous

Arcata, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

flonightingale wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you would lose your dollar. These are the most trustworthy individuals you have ever met or taken care of you and if it was drugs, they would have already been drug tested and placed in a rehab program. So save your judgements
Drug addiction, to prescription medications, is RAMPANT in the nursing field. Unlike marijuana that can take WEEKS to leave your system( no not weeks to be under the influence, but weeks for the detectable remnants stored in fat cells) most opiate based medications are out of you withing 24 hours.
Anonymous

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Drug addiction, to prescription medications, is RAMPANT in the nursing field. Unlike marijuana that can take WEEKS to leave your system( no not weeks to be under the influence, but weeks for the detectable remnants stored in fat cells) most opiate based medications are out of you withing 24 hours.
Prescription drug addiction is RAMPANT in the US, across all fields of work. Nurses are probably represented in this problem in numbers no higher than any other, high stress occupation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of149
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••