St. Joseph Hospital places ICU nurses on leave

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

Four St. Joseph Hospital intensive care unit nurses and a clinical nursing supervisor have recently been placed on administrative leave, but hospital administrators are remaining tight-lipped about the reason.
Comments
1 - 20 of 149 Comments Last updated Nov 14, 2012
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Hold on

Burlington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

This is a commumity hospital and ICU nurses are in areas of care that one could / should consider critical. Were any people at risk? Is that a secrect too?

This envelope of secrecy is more than troubling has become the way of life here in Eureka. It raises more questions about hospital ethics.

Is it the legacy of the Catholic Church---?

Is the TS ready to actually do a news story?
LOL

Martinez, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Obviously something REALLY GOOD happened to a patient(s) recently! Let's all just hope something REALLY GOOD doesn't happen to us, too!
Anonymous

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

The fiscal problems of community hospitals and over worked staff can be directly related to the gross liberal spending in areas that do not properly reflect the will of the community. How much money has been lost to area hospitals to illegal immigrants for example?

Stopping free health care for non citizens would definately help our hospitals.
Native

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

If this effects people in the community that were in the hospital, we have a right to know. Come on TS, do some digging!!!
people are dying

Menlo Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Anyone knowledgeable about the medical supervision at St. Joe's knows that this is karma coming home to roost.
people are dying

Menlo Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Native,

People are dying after surgeries. One was a young woman, in her early 40's last fall. You don't think there's a civil action ongoing for a wrongful death suit.
ice9phil

Pleasant Hill, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

it is more harmful to print half truths and unsubstantiated rumors than to print nothing. I think it is responsible of the TS to only print what they know. Is there more to know? I'm sure there is, but at this time, what you hear may not be acurate. Better wait for the facts to come out and THEN tell the story.
Wow

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

That's quite a half a story the Times-Standard wrote. And imagine, I obtained more information from an anonymous comment on the North Coast Journal blog.

How about talking to staff? Or talking to the people on suspension? Or talking to the doctor who you definitely know the name of? How about writing a real piece of journalism?

Ohhh, sorry, the spokesperson has nothing to say. I guess there's no story here. Sorry folks, what can I do? I'm only a journalist.

“Truth is Difficult to Find!”

Since: Dec 07

Eureka/Hoopa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Could it be the nurses were placed on Administrative Leave to protect them from something happening internally?
Redneck

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Well..........thank goodness someone is on top of the matter and is doing something about it.
There is a doctor in Fortuna that is a doper but that hospital has done nothing about it!
St. Joseph's is the best hospital in the County .
Thank you St. Joseph's for doing what is right by your patients.
I have been writing congressmen that all Doctors, Nurses.......anyone who is in the medical field and especially care givers in rest homes should have drug tests but am ignored.
Thank you again, St. Joseph's.
Randy

Arcata, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Can you say SCANDAL? There is some big mess up there. You do not put 4 R.N.'s and an R.N. supervisor on administrative leave for nothing.

How many did they, um, help into the next life?

I eagerly await developments.
Mart

Arcata, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

It is stories like this, with a lack of information that can and will cause people to seek medical treatment at another hospital. Patients brought in to St. Joe's to sick to move, I pray will get top-notch care. Have the nurses been replaced with new ones? What about the ICU doctor?
flonightingale

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Redneck wrote:
Well..........thank goodness someone is on top of the matter and is doing something about it.
There is a doctor in Fortuna that is a doper but that hospital has done nothing about it!
St. Joseph's is the best hospital in the County .
Thank you St. Joseph's for doing what is right by your patients.
I have been writing congressmen that all Doctors, Nurses.......anyone who is in the medical field and especially care givers in rest homes should have drug tests but am ignored.
Thank you again, St. Joseph's.
If it had been drugs.......... they would have been fired immediately and already in a 28 day program. These are the best nurses in the county. The ones you want to save your life if you are hit on 101..........
flonightingale

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

These nurses are fabulous. When you are critically ill, they are advocating for you. They are the ones most trained and also are part of the Heart Program. There is no heart program now. So when you get your chest pain, where do you go? The questions one should be asking, is why they have never been told why they are being disciplined? This is an outrage and it puts our community at risk. Where do you want your loved one taken care of when you are sick?
CJ Saint Claire

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Well that's a real stroke of genius. /sarcasm
Anonymous

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Got a problem with secrecy? Take it to the CEO...

If this were a public, not a private, hospital the Freedom of Information Act forms would be filed, but they would have already known that and told us the story anyway.

It's got nothing to do with foreigners, illegal children, drug abusers, gays, or Jews.
YOU Hold On

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Hold on wrote:
This is a commumity hospital and ICU nurses are in areas of care that one could / should consider critical. Were any people at risk? Is that a secrect too?
This envelope of secrecy is more than troubling has become the way of life here in Eureka. It raises more questions about hospital ethics.
Get a clue. Like it or not, this is a personnel matter. Personnel matters all always confidential as a result of this era in which we live where a wrongful termination lawsuit could be filed at the drop of a hat. The hosptial is most definitely following the advice of their legal counsel. Stop finding a ridiculous reason to blame the Catholic Church.
argumentum

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

ice9phil wrote:
it is more harmful to print half truths and unsubstantiated rumors than to print nothing. I think it is responsible of the TS to only print what they know. Is there more to know? I'm sure there is, but at this time, what you hear may not be acurate. Better wait for the facts to come out and THEN tell the story.
Every once in a while, during my travels through the blogosphere, I run across an adult. What a treat it is to meet a person (like you) who thinks in a responsible adult-like manner!
over there

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Here's one of the blog posts over at the North Coast Journal:

by nurse4change — June 24, 11:52 p.m.

I would like to bring it to the communities attention that one week ago, under the direction of Navigant consulting, St. Joseph Hospital has placed 5 core nightshift ICU r.n.s on administrative suspension, pending investigation, notified the Dr. in charge of the ICU that his services are no longer needed and in the previous two weeks the director of the department and cath lab has “resigned”. This all took place after Joe Marks CEO of St. Joeseph (originally of Navigant consulting) brought in a person to be director of these departments, also from Navigant. There were no replacements nurses ready to replace these high level practice r.n.’s, two of which are top of the game in this area for the touted heart program. No, only travelers and nurses from other departments to take care of the life and death situations that your loved ones face. I’m not being over-dramatic here. This is the real deal. Navigant and St. Joseph Hospital have only the operating cost at heart here. This is a factory. You had better believe it. What do you think? I think maybe they should have the sisters come up and pull down the statues….
Geoker

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Hold on wrote:
Labor law prohibits the release of disciplinary proceedings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••