Stop Treatment on non-compliant dialy...

Stop Treatment on non-compliant dialysis patients

Posted in the Nursing Forum

RealisticRN

Garrett, IN

#1 May 31, 2013
I have been in healthcare for 19 years and dialysis for over 5 years now. I know what I am about to say is going to sound harsh to all the "Florence Nightingale" nurses out there, but I feel that it is time to give the most non-compliant dialysis patients an alternative: Either come to treatments or the tax payers, who support you, will stop paying for your treatments and you will die. Harsh? Maybe, but I see time and time again a few patients with countless hospital admissions simply because they don't go to their dialysis appointments and end up in the hospital with heart failure and high potassium. Many do not know that every dialysis patient will or do have medicare for their primary insurance.(we do let private insurance foot the bill for up 3 years before medicare then becomes the primary) Medicare pays a couple hundred dollars for patients treatments when they go to a clinic to get dialysis. Now when patients skip treatments and end up in the hospital, medicare gets billed about 3-4 times that for each treatment plus whatever the hospital bills run. In my experience of seeing the same non-compliant person being admitted to the hospital time and time again, 2-3 times a month (I'm being generous), I can only believe that now we are talking 10's of thousands if not more in a given year. Couldn't that money be used to give better care to those individuals on dialysis who are trying to live. We could do so much more for those who are trying their best by allowing those very select few who are burdening the many to make a choice: Life or death. If Medicare is truly going to be exhausted in 2026, We need to make some hard decisions now or else we will have no choice later. This I'm sure sounds harsh to some but a would rather give better care to many in hopes for a better quality of life for them ,than to pay for someone just to stay alive and drain all the available resources for those trying just to live another day. And Yes before anyone can ask, I feel I could be on the decision committee.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#2 Jun 20, 2013
thaks for sharing your story

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dentists might be able to screen for diabetes Thu Raylin Sutter 5
Stress in Onocolgy Nursing Wed mrsfalatic09 1
News The hidden disease: Why aren't more doctors tre... Aug 25 HumanSpirit 5
News Database helps Indiana nurses keep track of vac... Aug 23 Elise Likes Vanilla 7
News Scott Walker: Digging His Political Grave Even ... Aug 22 USA Today 1
News Can Health Care Be Cured Of Racial Bias? Aug 21 Spotted Girl 3
News Jamaicans being trained for nursing jobs in Canada (Nov '09) Aug 21 dianne ameir 32
More from around the web