Employees accepting buyouts

Employees accepting buyouts

There are 9 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jul 17, 2010, titled Employees accepting buyouts. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

In 33 years at Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital, Irene Neumeister has seen her share of change.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Only SVMH

Salinas, CA

#1 Jul 17, 2010
Overpaid at nearly one million dollars per year, Sam Downing is a real gem. That goes for Irene too, also grossly overpaid. These employees were treated the way many employees of private enterprise are treated. Sign this document that you wont sue and we will double or triple your severance package. Those packages, by the way, do not compare at all with the severance packages provided the puppet masters by a yes-person board of directors who keep filling the pockets of Downing and he merry men and women.

The hospital is cutting jobs during this Great Recession/Depression to put people first? Patients? I don't think so. It is cutting people because it is spending like a drunken sailor on real property for its local monopoly. Take the Primecare building SVMH is building on Abbott St. SVMH is building the property, it probably will not be subject to property taxes because the hospital is a public district hospital and it will lease a good deal of its space to Primecare who no longer is putting patients first but dollars first.

Medical care is a dollar first industry. SVMH cared nothing when it refused to reduce its rates charged to Blue Cross. That decision left many people - patients in an uncertain predicament. SVMH charges some of the highest fees around hospital by hospital.

Greed, greed, greed.
Marilyn Benson

Pacific Grove, CA

#2 Jul 17, 2010
I have been employed at SVMH for 36 years and actively invovled in both SEIU-UHW and the successful elelction to decertify it and join NUHW. WE are currently waiting for the Public Employees Relation Board to certify our election. NUHW, once we are certified, will sit down and negotiate with the Hospital. NUHW will represent close to 900 employees at SVMH.
Amused

United States

#3 Jul 18, 2010
Wonder how Adrienne Laurent keeps her job. And a "comemmorative plaque" for being kicked to the curb since you cost too much? Adding insult to injury, I'd say. Want to reduce charity care costs? No treatment of illegal aliens outside of stabilizing those who come into the emergency room.
Well See

Monterey, CA

#4 Jul 18, 2010
Marilyn Benson wrote:
I have been employed at SVMH for 36 years and actively invovled in both SEIU-UHW and the successful elelction to decertify it and join NUHW. WE are currently waiting for the Public Employees Relation Board to certify our election. NUHW, once we are certified, will sit down and negotiate with the Hospital. NUHW will represent close to 900 employees at SVMH.
What does you or your union have do with this, soon enough not even you or your weak union will be able save your members from what is about to happen, because of the latest choice to to decertify SEIU your members will pay dearly when Bev and company get hold of you at the bargaining tables.
This is about good people who work hard, who are losing thier jobs and the ability pay for their homes, who will not be able to find jobs because their are none, the people affected and mentioned in this article are non union and are mainly support positions. The union should be ready to make concessions as well with the over paid members!!! maybe you should take the buyout when offered so that we can
actually get some who actually works instead roaming around the hospital crying about the fact that SEIU got rid of you as their steward!!
Murphy

Monterey, CA

#5 Jul 19, 2010
Does anyone think that illegal immigration has a cost now! Get ready America for the new and improved country, Amexico. When will Americans wake up and realize that we are suffering and will continue to suffer every day that we don't stop or reverse the huge numbers of illegal aliens from Mexico that are sucking up our resources. I am sad to hear about the SVMH employees losing their jobs. I know people that work their that have families and are panicking. In contrast, I'm sure that most illegal aliens are not.
germon

Monterey, CA

#6 Jul 20, 2010
these things that are being written for the papers are allll lies,my husband was employed at salinas valley memorial hospital,there was no voluntary buy out package with continuing of health care coverage lies lies,he received a call from ann kern and was told to take the buy out or there was no job for him to come back to.and the so called medical coverage they are offering is bull its cobra and you pay for it we are a family of 8 and to continue the coverage for our family it will cost $2800 per month,how on earth do they think we can pay this ammount,he will only be receiving $1800 per month for unemployment.lies lies lies and there logo is neighbors who care,i think not.
Puzzled

Monterey, CA

#7 Jul 20, 2010
I am puzzled that none of the local media, either print or electronic, has done any kind of investigation as to what is really going on at a local "public" institution. As a district hospital, SVMH is a public facility. What we need is some really good, in-depth investigative journalist to dig a little deeper. Those of us living in the district should get the whole story, and not just what is put out there by the hospital to let the CEO and board look magnanimous. I know people who have taken the "voluntary" buy-outs. It was not voluntary. It was "you can choose to take it, but we won't guarantee your job if you don't". The people I know were not told if their specific job was slated for elimiation or not. They basically were told to roll the dice and take a chance. I understand that many of the "volunteered" were older employees and employees with existing, serious medical problems-- now without health insurance. What about all the past spending on all the consultants? Were the employees so stupid that the only way to run the hospital was through highly paid consultants? I think not!! Does a hospital that size really need 7 vice-presidents? Does a hospital that size really need 5 or 6 "layers" of management---CEO; Senior VP's; VP's; Executive Administrative Directors; Senior Administrative Directors; & Department Directors?? How many ways can you spell mis-management?
germon

Monterey, CA

#8 Jul 22, 2010
i wonder how sam downing and all the head honchos sleep at night,knowing what they did to all the people who were FIRED YES FIRED.IF all and i mean all non union employees would have agreed to take a five to ten percent pay cut that would have saved the hospital more then the four million they were trying to save,instead they just fired them and took away their benefits,now people are going to loose their homes,go bankrupt have to apply for welfare,not to mention whats it has done to their pride and self esteem.there are no jobs out there right now,i only see this as making the economy for monterey county worse then it already was.and sam went on tv to say wellpring wanted us to lay people off and it was HIS idea to offer a buyout package,bull bull bull,the people who were fired were taxed at 31% for the buy out money.i have a gut feeling what the hospital is going to do is rehire differant people change the titles of their jobs and now pay them a lot less,most likely they will be titled per diam then the hospital wont have to give them benefits.it just wasnt the older people who got fired,i believe the hospital took into consideration how much was being spent on health benefits.for the life of me i dont know why they are lying to the media and press,nothing and i mean nothing was voluntary about this,these people had no choice it was you either take it or dont come back on monday because there is no job left for you.for god sakes sam downing please speek the truth,you owe that to them after what you and your higher up management team has done to them.
flummoxed

Seaside, CA

#9 Jul 23, 2010
Puzzled wrote:
I am puzzled that none of the local media, either print or electronic, has done any kind of investigation as to what is really going on at a local "public" institution. As a district hospital, SVMH is a public facility. What we need is some really good, in-depth investigative journalist to dig a little deeper. Those of us living in the district should get the whole story, and not just what is put out there by the hospital to let the CEO and board look magnanimous. I know people who have taken the "voluntary" buy-outs. It was not voluntary. It was "you can choose to take it, but we won't guarantee your job if you don't". The people I know were not told if their specific job was slated for elimiation or not. They basically were told to roll the dice and take a chance. I understand that many of the "volunteered" were older employees and employees with existing, serious medical problems-- now without health insurance. What about all the past spending on all the consultants? Were the employees so stupid that the only way to run the hospital was through highly paid consultants? I think not!! Does a hospital that size really need 7 vice-presidents? Does a hospital that size really need 5 or 6 "layers" of management---CEO; Senior VP's; VP's; Executive Administrative Directors; Senior Administrative Directors; & Department Directors?? How many ways can you spell mis-management?
Funny you should mention consultants. Sam and his executive management team got to where they are by being qualified and competent no? So the hospital gets into a little bit of a pinch, the dream team locks the doors for a brainstorming session and then...
consultants! Now think about it, when a management team runs to consultants, what does it say about the management team? Does it say that they don't really know what they are doing and so they need ideas from those they assume are brighter than themselves? Are these consultants working cheap? Maybe Sam and the team should forfeit their salaries to pay for the consultants since the consultants are basically doing what Sam and his executive team SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO AND SHOULD BE DOING ALREADY. Where is the Board of Directors in all this? Are they incompetent too? Should not the BOD be the ones hiring the consultants so the consultants are thus beholden to the Board and not forced to turn a blind eye to the mis-steps of Sam and his wonder team of executives?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Al Franken: Health reform has made a difference... (Sep '10) 17 hr OINK MOMBACH 246
News NMSU nursing program continues to strengthen (Feb '10) Sun JasonRuthermore 20
News Whistle-blowing nurse wants action on Nunavut n... (Mar '15) Aug 27 anonymous 79
News Cuddle cots give parents more time with their s... Aug 26 really? 1
News Russian man convicted of hacking into US busine... Aug 26 Mizike67 5
News Best Buy posts higher profit, better online and... Aug 23 Suezanne 1
News Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip (Jan '08) Aug 18 Sweeney22 268
More from around the web