Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical...

Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip

There are 274 comments on the KPVI-TV Pocatello story from Nov 26, 2007, titled Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip. In it, KPVI-TV Pocatello reports that:

“If we have a patient with a concern, we address these concerns immediately, both in the best interest of the patients and for the overall improvement of care in our hospital.”

Posted: A man from Firth says he's been in pain since having surgery at Bingham Memorial Hospital and later finding out the doctor left a surgical clip inside of him. via KPVI-TV Pocatello

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KPVI-TV Pocatello.

Robyn

United States

#21 May 9, 2008
Sorry everyone, read all of my posts. You can see I am in mass need of anger management and counseling. Wish me well.
Kathleen

Alsip, IL

#22 May 9, 2008
metoo wrote:
i also have surgical clips and surgical staple that knicked my liver and caused a hemotoma in me. Anyone who says its no be deal has no idea what it is like- I am certain anyone who says it doesn't matter, let him/her have this done to them and see what they say then.
I went into surgery to remove my gallbladder and i came out of surgery with unwanted, dangerous metal pcs. in me that have already damaged adjacent organs. I am outraged and we all should be and try to stop this negligence!
I too have just found out I have surgical clips in my pelvic area.for 9 yrs now . I cnt tell you how many drs I have seen with stomach pain. I was told I.B.S. gurge etc!!! Finally at emerg room 3 days ago C.T. showed clips I am seeing a surgent Mon to see what to do any sucess stories yet???
Kathleen

Alsip, IL

#23 May 9, 2008
metoo wrote:
i also have surgical clips and surgical staple that knicked my liver and caused a hemotoma in me. Anyone who says its no be deal has no idea what it is like- I am certain anyone who says it doesn't matter, let him/her have this done to them and see what they say then.
I went into surgery to remove my gallbladder and i came out of surgery with unwanted, dangerous metal pcs. in me that have already damaged adjacent organs. I am outraged and we all should be and try to stop this negligence!
What did you do? please tell me as i just found out i too have clips in me. I have been in pain since my surgery in 1998 not knowing why I am so sick I can totally relate to you and kmow your pain GOOD LUCK Im seeing a surgent on monday i hope they will remove them A.S.A.P.
Kathleen

Alsip, IL

#24 May 9, 2008
rbb wrote:
<quoted text>
Norma I can sympathise, I too am obtaining treatment under the NHS. Over five years ago I took ill at work and was rushed to hospital. To cut a long story short I have been in pain ever since and take a variety of tablets inc heavy painkillers which take a lot out of me. Suffice to say the medics say they can't find anything wrong although some of the test did show a congenital anomoly although they maintain it has nothing to do with the pain!! I have had a number of surgeries over the years and a recent x- ray has shown a surgical clip close to where the pain is. I had a recent MRi and felt a burnin sensation again in the area of the pain (& clip ) and was again told they didn't know why this could be. I have asked various doc could it be linked to my surgeries but they all maintain they can do nothing and I must keep taking the tablets. To be honest the thought of another 40 yrs of this is very depressing.
Has any body any ideas how to get this moving.
I am from the U.S.A. our country also has Drs who leave surgical clips in My heart goes out to both of you. I Feel ypur pain as I too am in so much pain.I have had clips in since 1999 and just found out 4 days ago.I am going to a surgent and demanding he removes clips If he wont I will fingd a dr who will Good Luck to you
Chris

Skokie, IL

#25 Jun 6, 2008
I have 3 surgical clips, I also have pain. I also have a very rare auto-immune disease called stiff person symdrome. This all started after a c-section were the clips were left in. I am allergic to metal. No Dr. will remove them or even consider if this would affect my immune system, have anyone been tested for metal allergies & researched the effects. There is plenty on the web.
Yeah OK

United States

#26 Jun 7, 2008
"Stiff person syndrome" - are you kidding me? Some other posters here are posting a little bit too much personal information. Yikes, ugh, way too much for some of you. Eeeeewwwww!

“Syd”

Since: May 08

somewhere in NY

#27 Jun 10, 2008
I didn't realize that this was such a problem. I have never heard of so many people having things left behind in them from a surgery. When I had my son c-section...not fun...they repeatedly counted things over and over again. Then someone else came along and re-counted them again. I thought that this was standard procedure from what I understood.
Having a great deal of pain isn't reason enough to have these things removed? I think I would be demanding a little more action than what this guy is doing. Living your life in pain for someone elses mistake doesn't really sit well with me and then they refuse to do something about it? Come on!!!!!11

“I'm Your WORST Naitomea!”

Since: Jun 08

Salem

#28 Jun 10, 2008
keep that
clip on man
don't want to see
whats inside
Tobi

Tucson, AZ

#29 Jun 16, 2008
surgical staple that knicked my liver and caused a hemotoma in me. Anyone who says its no be deal has no idea what it is like- I am certain anyone who says it doesn't matter, let him/her have this done to them and see what they say then.
I went into surgery to remove my gallbladder and i came out of surgery with unwanted, dangerous metal pcs. in me that have already damaged adjacent organs. I am outraged and we all should be and try to stop this negligence Metoo I know how you feel. I also had my gallbladdet removed in 2006 and about 2 months ago started experiencing burning pain in my upper back by my left shoulder blade. The pain got so bad i was about to see a doctor for it when I had to have an x-ray done for something else and low and behold there were some surgical clips found to be left in after my Gallbladder was removed. I am so mad that the doctor didn't feel it necessary to tell me that there is a foreign object in my body. Now I know why my back hurts, the clip is exactly where all my pain is coming from. On the x-ray there is also a dark mass right next to the surgical clip, any idea what it could be...very nervous and scared.
Tobi

Tucson, AZ

#30 Jun 16, 2008
Metoo I know how you feel. I also had my gallbladdet removed in 2006 and about 2 months ago started experiencing burning pain in my upper back by my left shoulder blade. The pain got so bad i was about to see a doctor for it when I had to have an x-ray done for something else and low and behold there were some surgical clips found to be left in after my Gallbladder was removed. I am so mad that the doctor didn't feel it necessary to tell me that there is a foreign object in my body. Now I know why my back hurts, the clip is exactly where all my pain is coming from. On the x-ray there is also a dark mass right next to the surgical clip, any idea what it could be...very nervous and scared.
cadillac krissy

Grand Rapids, MI

#31 Jun 19, 2008
I too have a surgical clip that was dropped during surgery. Good luck to you, the O.R. staff is required to count clips...what happened to that???
Ralph P G

United States

#32 Jul 10, 2008
I had my gallbladder removed 2-5-2005. Till this day I've had pain.Can't sit without unbuckleing my pants because I'll get a severe pain near my heart, and I've already had two Myocardial Infarctions. MRI was done and Doc reported finding a metallic object located in my liver where my gallbladder once was. I've yet to find the reason for this being there. Can anyone tell me why there would be something metallic there. My surgeon never mentioned he had to implant this metallic object. Or could this have been accidentally left behind during surgery.I can't continue having to unbuckle everywhere I go. Does this make any sense why a cone shaped metallic object would be left inplace of my gallbladder
Bettymae

United States

#33 Sep 8, 2008
Robyn wrote:
Sorry everyone, read all of my posts. You can see I am in mass need of anger management and counseling. Wish me well.
My daughter suffering from metal allergy, has clip from gall bladder removal six years ago, constant pain. No one wants to remove and suture up closure She is MELISSA tested allergic to clip. Do you know of any surgeon who will remove clip?
I am so angry about it and daughter blames me for letting surgeon mess her up.
Janet Martin

United States

#34 Sep 25, 2008
I had gall bladder surgery in 1997 and just found out in 2007 that there is a surgery clip in my stomach which the doctor left there.

I started having strange movements like a baby moving inside my upper right side of my stomach. Then, I started having pain and a lot of gas.

I had a MRI on my intestines which revealed this surgical clip. I was shocked. The only thing that my doctor says I can do is live with it until it will have to be removed.

I don't want to live with it; I think that the doctor should be responsible and remove it. I mean the surgeon who left it is responsible.

Are we all crazy or is it preventable?
Mirade

Nottingham, UK

#35 Oct 9, 2008
If you want a real horror story regarding metal surgical clips then read my story on medhelp "What are surgical clips and can they cause pain" I am still waiting for any doctor to remove the 30 metal clips that were left in my lower abdomen "Without my knowledge" and caused a cathostrophic injury on the first occassion that i attempted intercourse post hysterectomy.
Mirade

Aberdeen, UK

#36 Oct 12, 2008
If you take on board my horrific story then you will all realise that doctors will not remove offending clips and alleviate my swollen leg problem because they know that my reaction would be "Why the hell did you not do it in 1990 when they gave way and caused my injury, and spare me 18 years of pain and misery and 15 unecessary hospitalisations?. Their worst nightmare is that my leg will return to normal and that i may sue them and so i am convinced that they will never do the honourable thing because it is not in the interests of surgical proceedures and the suppliers of these clips. Please read my story on Medhelp "What are surgical clips and can they cause pain" Mirade
natski

Richmond Hill, Canada

#38 Oct 30, 2008
hi i had breast reduction surgery 2 yrs later it showed up 1 surgical clip i asked the surgeon as someone suggested and he said ya it's normal we even leave it in brain surgeries but his intern said they use it in surgery instead of coterizing a blood vessel they use a surgical clip so was i bleading then during surgery why did he not use suchers instead and he didn't tell me is he covering up his mistake??
Lena

Hancock, MD

#39 Nov 1, 2008
To KCF:

I have had watery bowels since shortly after a pancreatectomy in dec 2004. The pain at the sight was very bad and I have a lot of gas. I need to take a pill such as zantac every day to counter the gas and pain.
I mentioned it to a new endocrinologist who sent me for a ct and pet scan. In the meantime I needed to take antibiotics for an absess on my tooth and the pain and gas has started to go away.

The ct and pet scan showed surgical clips in place which I did not know I had. I am wondering if these clips could have caused an infection which has been ignored since I have mentioned this to all of my doctors and no one seemed to understand what I was talking about. I also have a lung nodule which was never mentioned, is listed as not growing or changing, suggesting that the doctors were aware of it but did not tell me.

I intend to follow up with my doctors and see if the clips should be there. If something was done wrong I intend to sue.

People can talk about sueing for malpractice can cause premiums to rise but some lawsuits are not frivolous and this is our lives we trust Doctors with. What if I developed sepsis that could not be cured and I died and clips were the cause?

What if this happened to a member of your family. I bet that would make a difference to you.
Mirade

Glasgow, UK

#40 Nov 10, 2008
It was ten years after my hysterectomy during my eleventh hospitalisation with my chronically swollen and regularly infected left leg that I discovered these 30 metal clips that were left in my abdomen.Only then did i realise exactly what it was that gave way in my lower left abdomen during my one and only attempt at intercourse all those years ago.Lack of information can and will cause accidents and injuries. It did in my case. Doctors tell patients when they are placing metal screws and pins in leg injuries so why do they not inform ladies that they are leaving large amounts of metal clips in the lower abdomen at hysterectomy. This does not sit well with me. What if a had been a trapeze artist??. My view is that proper patient information can prevent injuries, do you agree.
christine chieffo

Newark, NJ

#41 Nov 18, 2008
I also had clips left inside has anyone ever sued their doctor i am now 85 disabled

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctors distressed by 'unethical' dialysis rule... 17 hr Jackie 3
News Health care and business among topics discussed... May 19 they got new hosp so 1
News REVEALED: Temporary nursing staff spending bill May 16 patti rn 1
News Congressman McKinley meets with bankers May 13 hashtagmemeztime 3
News Study: Most common jobs in Cincinnati don't pay... May 9 TOTAC 5
Nursing Unions May 2 Husband of nurse 2
News Tulsa experiment: Can investing in children ear... May 1 Husband of nurse 3