Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical...

Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip

There are 270 comments on the KPVI-TV Pocatello story from Nov 26, 2007, titled Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip. In it, KPVI-TV Pocatello reports that:

“If we have a patient with a concern, we address these concerns immediately, both in the best interest of the patients and for the overall improvement of care in our hospital.”

Posted: A man from Firth says he's been in pain since having surgery at Bingham Memorial Hospital and later finding out the doctor left a surgical clip inside of him. via KPVI-TV Pocatello

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KPVI-TV Pocatello.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#276 Jun 19, 2013
Robyn wrote:
How can you not even think about the person, fuck the whole worrying about yourself and your money. This isn't about you. If it happened to you or someone you love what would you do? Really, would the whole money thing wouldn't matter would it. Pay half of everything my ass, if some idiot doc let a foreign object in me I sure as hell wouldn't pay anything. I don't know if suing is the right answer, but I wouldn't pay for the surgery, I think that deserves a freeby. That's why Doctor's have malpractice ins. They do fuck up, they should own their own mistake, and make it right and then mabey they won't get sued.
right! however im not sure doctors will admit their mistakes since it will endanger their careers hehe
mavnorm

Deland, FL

#279 Jul 27, 2015
Robert Blackman wrote:
Did it ever occur to most of you to get a lawyer and sue these hospitals and doctors for letting unqualified people close a wound while the doctor is having a drink at the local bar?
I just found five clips in my the back of my leg from an operation nine years ago and one or two are pressing on a nerve which has bothered me for over 5 years because it moved to this location.
Tomorrow I will go to a doctor to verify they are surgical clips and then immediately go to a malpractice attorney the next day and start a law suit.
In that law suit will be pain and suffering for the last 5 years including the removal of all five clips.
This is more the doctors fault than the hospital for letting unqualified people close a wound. Wake up everyone and get a lawyer. Geez, this is a no brainer.
You are probably out of luck with a law suit; 5 years is pass the statute of limitations in; I believe all states. Florida has the longest time limit and that is 4 years.
Organize

United States

#280 Aug 6, 2015
You need to go after the makers of the clips. The doctors are just taking their word over ours. As for those failing to mention or acknowledge the clips, they should be held to account for that.
PANDA1315

Rochester, NY

#282 Oct 17, 2015
I know the feeling guys I'm being in pain since I got gallbladder surgery and doctor told me I'm not gone stop until I found what causes the pain CUZ U don't have gallbladder no more so guess what all my complaints never were heard he move to Texas hospital n taking meds for stomach back n reading one of the results of xray from 2014 find out they left surgical clips inside me even the primary doctor knew n told me xray is negative reading the results so that means doctors cover them self and the others they don't care about the patient just money for the insurance
Brandy

Atlanta, GA

#283 Jan 20, 2016
Just had mine done about 6 days ago. Some of you had your gallbladder surgery years ago and maybe those kind of answers weren't available to you at the time. When I found out I was having mine out I researched the hell out of it and watched every YouTube video available so I was aware beforehand that there would be one maybe two clamps used. I pray that I do not have complications from them. I've done a little research and for those of you with metal allergies they do have plastic clamps, that may be worth a doctor consult. The body is supposed to connect to the metal clamps and grow around them. That's the ideal outcome. Surprising that there are so many complications from what I've been told is one of the most common surgeries. I hope you all get better and we all have healthier lives.
Charlie

Lambertville, NJ

#287 May 3, 2016
Albert wrote:
As a surgeon I perform about 300 laparoscopic gallbladder surgeries a year and have done so for more than 20 years. I have never had a single patient report issues with clips. The clips don't cause hematomas or come anywhere near ribs. They are standard in surgery and are meant to be permanent. We don't tell patients whether we are going to use blue suture or black suture or electric current or ultrasonic energy or laser energy to cauterize. I never felt the need to describe clips to patients but now that I've seen just how litigious and zealous you nuts are, I will. Most surgeons are good people trying to do a good job. You people seem really vicious.
After my appendectomy (within days) I developed polymialga rheumatica. I have had surgeries and injuries before but never had a foreign object in my body. Is it possible that the clip is causing this autoimmune response?
Sadface

Melbourne, FL

#289 Aug 5, 2016
I have a nickel allergy for sure. I've had really bad reactions to titanium and surgical steel earnings in the past and I still have scars from that. I had two or three breast biopsies in the past and I was unaware that they left metal markers in my breast until I had a chest X-ray. This is so frustrating and embarrassing. My breast hurts all the time and the rib under it is swollen. I have an itching sensation that comes and goes in that area too. =(
Sweeney22

Westminster, MD

#290 Aug 18, 2016
Sadface wrote:
I have a nickel allergy for sure. I've had really bad reactions to titanium and surgical steel earnings in the past and I still have scars from that. I had two or three breast biopsies in the past and I was unaware that they left metal markers in my breast until I had a chest X-ray. This is so frustrating and embarrassing. My breast hurts all the time and the rib under it is swollen. I have an itching sensation that comes and goes in that area too.=(
I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal for breast cancer in 2013. I have two metal clips in my chest and underarm. I have had chronic pain for over two years. Just found out it could be metal clips. My physiatrist (rehab doc for cancer) thinks it's pressing on my nerves. Ive had injections and they helped some of the rib pain I have had but the area where the clips are is very painful and I get debilitating nerve pain across my chest that makes me cough -I guess as a reaction to the tingling it feels like hell. It's getting worse and I can't use my arm or bend over without issue. I'm getting allergy tested for metals but am told it will be hard to get the clips out. I'm am in debilitating pain and docs are fine leaving me on Meds forever and are ok that a 52 yr old person has been in bed for two months since it has exacerbated. My breast surgeon said she would not go in and remove any clips as that could cause more damage. What's worse than not being able to,live life at all? She referred me to another breast surgeon - I'm sure she finally did this to cover her butt bc she ignored my pain complaints for two,yrs. never sent me to pain mgmt or wanted to help get to bottom of this. I want the clips out. I need them out as I can't do,anything without this pain. My breast , Axilla and ribs hurt all the time. I am mentally a wreck. Breast surgeon had social worker come in before she saw me probably another way to core her butt. I'm angry and depressed. This is not way to live and I am trying not to give up. I'm so sorry for your pain. Get allergy tested or metals that might help your case. Blessings.
heck446

Sunbury, PA

#291 Thursday Sep 8
Tobi wrote:
surgical staple that knicked my liver and caused a hemotoma in me. Anyone who says its no be deal has no idea what it is like- I am certain anyone who says it doesn't matter, let him/her have this done to them and see what they say then.
I went into surgery to remove my gallbladder and i came out of surgery with unwanted, dangerous metal pcs. in me that have already damaged adjacent organs. I am outraged and we all should be and try to stop this negligence Metoo I know how you feel. I also had my gallbladdet removed in 2006 and about 2 months ago started experiencing burning pain in my upper back by my left shoulder blade. The pain got so bad i was about to see a doctor for it when I had to have an x-ray done for something else and low and behold there were some surgical clips found to be left in after my Gallbladder was removed. I am so mad that the doctor didn't feel it necessary to tell me that there is a foreign object in my body. Now I know why my back hurts, the clip is exactly where all my pain is coming from. On the x-ray there is also a dark mass right next to the surgical clip, any idea what it could be...very nervous and scared.
I also just found out that I have a drop clip in me from getting my gallbladder out many years ago. I have a cyst or hematoma on my liver.( They are not sure what it is) They are doing another MRI tomorrow. Wondering if what's on with my liver,( my liver blood results have been abnormal for a few years) and no one says anything. They didn't tell me I read the result on computer after they posted my results. That's the only way I found out. Sad, but true. Dont they think this is dangerous.
Pauline

Australia

#292 21 hrs ago
I had my Hernia removed 2 yrs ago & now I find I have a clip has come astray, Can that be a problem

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias (Jul '07) Tue Sally 268
News Whistle-blowing nurse wants action on Nunavut n... (Mar '15) Tue anonymous 98
News Workers at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center alleg... (May '10) Sep 23 Vita-TRP Protein 41
News Mediterranean Diet Can Lower Risk for Alzheimer... Sep 23 Stephany McDowell 1
News Nursing home charged $2 million falsely Sep 22 howcome 1
News Group says it has sued Dow over pesticide used ... Sep 20 Stephany McDowell 1
need a review center? [recommended] (Aug '06) Sep 16 mariarentura 268
More from around the web