Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip

Nov 26, 2007 Full story: KPVI-TV Pocatello 261

“If we have a patient with a concern, we address these concerns immediately, both in the best interest of the patients and for the overall improvement of care in our hospital.”

Posted: A man from Firth says he's been in pain since having surgery at Bingham Memorial Hospital and later finding out the doctor left a surgical clip inside of him. via KPVI-TV Pocatello

Full Story
Christine

AOL

#206 Oct 31, 2011
You can file a complaint with your state's medical licensing board. They will have to reply to you and tell you their finding of any wrong-doing. Doctors have lost their license to practice because of sloppy work. Once the board decides there was any wrong-doing you can take it to a lawyer. This will serve as a certificate of merit for a lawsuit.
Christine sydney Aus

Liverpool, Australia

#207 Oct 31, 2011
what test was it that you had Meredith from Buffalo NY?
Kar

Chandler, AZ

#208 Nov 29, 2011
I just wanted to check in. I read these posts as often as possible. I still have my *unknown object* It is not a clip, I do know that for sure from several docs. However, no doctor is willing to remove it. Lawyers cant or wont take the case, as Ive had issues sense 1996. I do OK pain wise, but its a daily nightmare.
If anyone makes a breakthrough, please let us know.
Good energy to all...
Meredith

Niagara Falls, NY

#209 Nov 30, 2011
I only had the patch test since I had problems getting the blood test set up, but my doctor repeated it twice so there were no questions. I reacted to some degree to all metals tested including titanium, nickle, cobalt and chromium all of which are most likely components of the surgical clips that are inside me.
Judith

New York, NY

#210 Dec 16, 2011
This isn't the first time I've heard of this. I've heard similar surgery stories of things accidentally stitched up in the patient which I thought were sick jokes. I hope some doctor has been arrested over this. http://www.rotlaw.com/depuy-asr/
Barb

United States

#211 Dec 16, 2011
I also just discovered 8 surgical clips left in me after a surgery I had two years ago. I had been back to my doctor several times to complain about nerve damage in the area and surrounding muscle groups. I was never informed before or after surgery that they were there. I discovered them accidently after viewing my recent X-rays. I contacted an attorney and am pursueing compensation for permanent damages. I have had no feeling in my arm or lats for two years. I am also seeking a surgeon who will remove these defaming wound markers.
Darlene

Chicago, IL

#212 Dec 23, 2011
I just discovered, while have my yearly mammo done that a staple is in my breast, is this bad?
Concerned Parent

Batesburg, SC

#213 Feb 27, 2012
My (at the time) 6 yr old daughter had gall bladder surgery almost 2 yrs ago and the Drs left 2 staples in her. I had to keep her home today due to the pain. She's never got better and they won't do nothing!!!
Concerned Parent

New York, NY

#214 Mar 5, 2012
My (at the time) 6 yr old daughter had gall bladder surgery almost 2 yrs ago and the Drs left 2 staples in her. I had to keep her home today due to the pain. She's never got better and they won't do nothing!!!
Metal Detectors

Morehead, KY

#215 Mar 5, 2012
I almost never tied the two together... But I have clips under a kidney from a surgery, but....

Only recently did I understood what was on my left side that sits metal detectors off (security at airports, etc.). Duu, I should of realized if I have metal surgical staples, whatever, that they wold set of such a detector every time, and it never fails.
John

Silver Spring, MD

#216 Mar 11, 2012
Hi, I am expecting a Gallbladder removal surgery soon. I did some research about the impact of surgical clips left after the surgery. Now whoever said the Surgical clips cause no harm whatsoever, please read this 1993's article:
www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM19931118329...

Chronic Urticaria Due to Surgical Clips

... The patient's abdominal pain, coughing, and urticaria resolved within four to six weeks after the removal of the surgical clips and have not recurred in four years....

John

Silver Spring, MD

#217 Mar 12, 2012

Minilaparoscopic Cholecystectomy : Clipless Technique

Please see minute 3:55 of the video. Amazing.

How to find out if any hospital in the U.S. performs this type of surgery? Thanks!
Jemi

Tamworth, UK

#218 Mar 28, 2012
bill i have spoken to my surgeon several times as i am in so much pain and cannot go back to work and cannot get financial help, but he thinks he is greater than god and told me I need a pyschiatrist!!!! the cancer i had was not painfull, the clips or something is causing me great problems, no one wants to help, apparantly I should be grateful to be alive, which of course i am but cannot live much longer like this. un positive negative remarks with sarcastic undertones are not appreciated when you have to go through problems, get a life bill or anyone whp thinks themselves clever when it obvious most people on here are in pain.
John

Philadelphia, PA

#219 Mar 29, 2012
OR Nurse wrote:
Everyone seems to be missing the point. If you CHOOSE to have laparoscopic surgery, and want the surgeon to do things like stop bleeding, or not allow bile to leak into your abdominal cavity, thus digesting your own internal organs, then you WILL have surgical clips in place after your surgery. These clips do things like close off veins or arteries or the bile duct when the gallbladder is removed.
Sure, they could do it old school, with a large open incision, and clamp/cut/tie every vessel or duct that needs to be incised during a surgery. But, that leads to large open incisions, longer recovery times, increased risks of infection and bleeding.
That is not to say that people who have posted with these problems are lying, I can't say for sure. But, how many thousands of surgeries are performed every year with no complications? There are risks in EVERY surgery. Going under the knife for any reason exposes you to those risks.
Educate yourself, you can see videos of procedures like laparoscopic gallbladder or hysterectomy surgery right on youtube or medical sites.
OR Nurse, please read this article and learn some new thing so that you won't mislead others. There is a CLIPLESS type of laparoscopic surgery: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19851262
"Neither the 3-mm laparoscope, nor clips, nor manufactured endobags were used. The cystic artery was safely sealed by electrocautery near the gallbladder neck and the cystic duct was sealed with surgical knots."

,and watch this startign at minute 3:55:

Minilaparoscopic Cholecystectomy Clipless Technique
Chrissie

Bolton, UK

#221 Apr 20, 2012
Char Staton wrote:
I had biopsy 8 yrs ago and had a titanium clip put in, didnt know the difference later had to have 2 lumpectomies and made them take the clip out, I felt safe, then 8 months ago went to another surgeon for an gallbladder operation and unknown to me until yesterday when i had to have a x ray this Dr also put a clip in me. She did not ask me or tell me, I bvelieve some of these { Clips} are tracking devices, and i don't want them!!!
Don't be silly! they are not tracking devices! Lol!!!
Kar

El Monte, CA

#222 Apr 20, 2012
Another check in from me
I still have no idea what's inside of me. I still go about life. I work 3 jobs and its a struggle.
I've not given up hope that one day I will know what is inside me.
To those whom have clips or staples. I do pray your able to get those addressed in swift time. I can only imagine the anquish you experience daily.

To those whom have had, or might have had a needed operation which might involve the permanent use of a clip or staple. I'd like to say. Speak with your doctor about possible allergins and long term effects.
There are times such things are needed.
I would hate for anyone to avoid a needed operation for fear of a clip.

When I posted on this years ago. I needed info.
I still need information and perhaps always will.
Objects are left in people. We all know that. But things like clips and staples are considered normal. Unless one is allergic, then like many of you. We do research and get tests.
My question is. What is inside me? And how do I get it out? And why after so many years and docs ACROSS the USA am I still in pain? And whom else has a unknown object inside them?
Meredith

Niagara Falls, NY

#223 Apr 21, 2012
Ok, I met with a new surgeon as the first one "saw no reason to take the clips out. The new one ordered blood work, wanted the report from the allergy doc and just had ne go for a cat scan with contrast. If he does not get the answers he wants then he will do an exploratory lap and take a look at things inside me. Of course there is still the possibility that he will not do the surgery and take the clips out but I am hoping!!!
Concerned Friend

Cranford, NJ

#224 Apr 23, 2012
Meredith wrote:
Ok, I met with a new surgeon as the first one "saw no reason to take the clips out. The new one ordered blood work, wanted the report from the allergy doc and just had ne go for a cat scan with contrast. If he does not get the answers he wants then he will do an exploratory lap and take a look at things inside me. Of course there is still the possibility that he will not do the surgery and take the clips out but I am hoping!!!
Meredith ~ would you be willing to email me the name of the surgeon you found? My friend has been in severe pain since her surgery and her surgeon refuses to take her seriously. She needs to find a new surgeon asap. Thank you.
Tester

Los Angeles, CA

#225 Apr 24, 2012
Kar wrote:
Is there any updated information on this story?
Testing
Meredith

Niagara Falls, NY

#226 Apr 29, 2012
The name of the surgeon is Dr. Biju lakose (I think it is spelled that way) in Lockport, NY. I had my surgery Thursday. He was going to go in and take pictures and talk it over with me because he had not seen any inflamation on the cat scan, but to my surprise I awoke to find that he had not only gone in but had also taken the clips out. Now comes the waiting game to see how I feel as the days and weeks go by. I am hoping for good things. Say prayers and keep fingers crossed!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuba answers WHO's call for more Ebola help 14 hr WE JUST DONT CARE 5
Careers In Health Care Are Growing In The Dalla... Mon Liberal forever 14
Jury awards $400K to woman in hospital lawsuit (Apr '09) Mon white widow 49
Cuba's Ebola aid latest example of 'medical dip... Sep 14 Comanche 3
VA needs to hire 'tens of thousands' of workers Sep 13 Viet Nam Vet 1
'Friends of Cancer Patients' and NIVEA Sun join... Sep 12 laila 1
Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias (Jul '07) Sep 12 SUE 259
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••