Private psychiatrists offer free service to troops

Full story: The Associated Press

Thousands of private counselors are offering free services to troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with mental health problems, jumping in to help because the military is short on therapists.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2014
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

In that one hour what do they do?

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

HumanSpirit wrote:
In that one hour what do they do?
First they conduct an psychosocial evaluation in attaining the indormation about what the soldier(s) had experienced and all the symptoms (Anxity, Sleep Disturbance, Anger, etc) that the soldier(s) is experiencing in order to assess the ongoing problem in order to provide an accurate diagnose.

From all of that attained information, they are able to determine if medication(s) are needed. And they refer the soldier(s) to another clinician for therapy (1x1 Tx sessions and or group Tx). Through followup with the soldier(s), they than can determine whether the medication(s) are needed for long term or short term usage.

There's a whole lot more involved here than just one hour. And they work on many areas such as diet, exercise, etc.

Cheers

“What type of f--kery is this??”

Since: Dec 07

South Shore/Chatham

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

You go off to war...

You come home to outrageous gas prices...a weak dollar...food being a luxury versus a necessity...

And having to have your healthcare 'donated' instead of mandated...

Sad...

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Lala11_7 wrote:
You go off to war...
You come home to outrageous gas prices...a weak dollar...food being a luxury versus a necessity...
And having to have your healthcare 'donated' instead of mandated...
Sad...
Good point Lalall. You forgot that the US government also seems to take better care of illegal immigrants than our own citizens and those in other countries.

Actually when the war in Iraq started back in 2003, Dept of VA had communicated all of its facilities to stratigize and plan programming for the troops when returning home. And the military branches had done the same.

But, there were problems that took place here just as they did when the Vietnam veterans came home:

1. There was and still is a very strong sigma and stereotypical belief about mental health related issues.

2. Many troops had a very strong dislike of anything that was US federal government and the military clinics/hospitals along with the Dept of VA are US federal government.

3. NCO's know only too well that many military commanders in the past and currently still continue in using the individuals mental health issues in order to throwing them out of the military.

4. And as we're cuurently seeing troops with mental health issues being redeployed back to the war zones even when doctors are advising against it, one can only understand why many troops are resistent to seeking help from military doctors.

Here in El Paso many of the troops stationed at Fort Bliss were seeking help from outside agencies in order to protect their privacy and military carreers.

But, our veterans organizations began getting involved with the units and the troops here at Fort Bliss. The various combat veterans in El Paso have been helping our troops (Veterans Brothers & Sisters) in understanding the importance of seeking help and not having to fell ashamed about having mental health issues. We helped them understand that they weren't alone here as many of us here knew what they were going through.

Cheers

MOEP
Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran
Mental Health Therapist
Zing

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

This is FAR MORE than what most corporations are doing in furtherance of their patriotic duty. Instead of sacrificing for the war as EVERY PREVIOUS GENERATION of Americans have done, the crop of war profiteers sees this war merely as a windfall. Blackwater was just staying viable operating gulags here in the U.S. Halliburton was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Thank god for the unjustified invasion of Iraq!!!

Instead of having labor and production drafts as we have had in previous wartime generations, these unpatriotic corporations are using the war to steal from Americans, serve soldiers tainted water and ruin the reputation of our nation around the world. None of these corporations, like those of old, put off normal profit-generating activities to assist the war effort; instead, they have requested and clamored for tax cuts, which deny our soldiers proper services such as these being discussed in the article.

Once again, the American PEOPLE show exactly why corporations should be viewed as second-class citizens under our law. Corporations, and their unpatriotic practices, are ruining this nation.
Tyrone

Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
HumanSpirit

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

My Opinion_El Paso_TX wrote:
<quoted text>
First they conduct an psychosocial evaluation in attaining the indormation about what the soldier(s) had experienced and all the symptoms (Anxity, Sleep Disturbance, Anger, etc) that the soldier(s) is experiencing in order to assess the ongoing problem in order to provide an accurate diagnose.
From all of that attained information, they are able to determine if medication(s) are needed. And they refer the soldier(s) to another clinician for therapy (1x1 Tx sessions and or group Tx). Through followup with the soldier(s), they than can determine whether the medication(s) are needed for long term or short term usage.
There's a whole lot more involved here than just one hour. And they work on many areas such as diet, exercise, etc.
Cheers
The Mental Health Industry is based on no science. No medical model. No evidence based medicine and no test for chemical imbalance and there isn't any imagining to confirm a defective brain from a normal gain. The industry is nothing more then hearsay and is political.
Hildy

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/LXY9gr only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

A medical doctor can determine what your problems are better than a pseudo science. I have been to psychiatric and psychology doctors over the years. The difference being Psychiatric doctors can prescribe medicine for the mine while a psychologist asks you...'What do you think'...and turn the problem around to you and what you have created. Ask a psychologist why they can't prescribe medication? Then look at what medications a psychiatric doctor prescribes? Pour you heart out to these doctors and you will get an answer from the psychologist like: and what do you really think the problem is? Psychiatric doctor will ask you what medications you are allergic to. Do you think any of these doctors really do any good?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••