Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

No matter where you work, DO NOT talk bad about any of your coworkers, EVER...because they WILL find out.

Don't participate in any of the gossip that goes on. If you hear it, just ignore it. Don't run and tell someone else or the person being talked about. Just go about your business.

This is honestly the best advice I can think of to give a new nurse just starting out on the floor somewhere. Just do your job.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

stay outta the politics. Things can and will come back and bite you in the end, in more ways than one.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

nurseamyg wrote:
No matter where you work, DO NOT talk bad about any of your coworkers, EVER...because they WILL find out.
Don't participate in any of the gossip that goes on. If you hear it, just ignore it. Don't run and tell someone else or the person being talked about. Just go about your business.
This is honestly the best advice I can think of to give a new nurse just starting out on the floor somewhere. Just do your job.
While that is good advice, whats the chance of that happening. If there is one thing I know, RN's are some of the most negative folks around.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

how can you say that?

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

nurseamyg wrote:
how can you say that?
Because it is absolutely true. At least for hospital RN's.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

yep it is true for some. I have also noticed it but I think it just depends on the personality of nurses we encounter.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

nurseamyg wrote:
yep it is true for some. I have also noticed it but I think it just depends on the personality of nurses we encounter.
nurseamy, I have to ask, do you work in a hospital setting or at an MD's office?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2013

it doesn't matter where I work. im just sharing ideas and opinions

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2013

nurseamyg wrote:
it doesn't matter where I work. im just sharing ideas and opinions
It does matter. I find that an MD office has a more loyal staff, where a hospital setting has the more negative influence, the gossip, and back stabbing. All RN's know that their worst enemy is another nurse......they are like cannabals eating their own.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2013

yep i encountered many RNs who are like that but still there are also many RNs who are genuine inspite of all the negative energies in the workplace

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2013

nurseamyg wrote:
yep i encountered many RNs who are like that but still there are also many RNs who are genuine inspite of all the negative energies in the workplace
Thats true but in a major facility they are the rarity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2013

well I guess Im just lucky then.hehe

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

hmm.. another tip: listen and be patient with your co-workers (even though they are annoying most of the time)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2013

love your job so wont feel like working

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2013

learn from the meore xperienced nurses

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

I've trained or helped train a few new nurses, with some success, and I just heard from one (not trained by me) leaving orientation who is scared, so I thought I would barf up some pearls of wisdom that seem to have helped new nurses the most. Some read this blog, so perhaps they will add comments. I train ER nurses because I'm an ER nurse, but I learned a lot of this on the floor. I vividly remember one of my first shifts as a new RN on my own. I had four patients on a day shift, all four needed something relatively important right then, and I felt rooted to the floor with fear. I literally didn't know what to do next. I had an overwhelming feeling I was going to burst into tears and run screaming out of the unit. I picked the absolute wrong solution and just started picking tasks so I'd be doing SOMETHING.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

In case you’re not already aware of this, the job market for ALL nurses across the country is very
tight right now with a few exceptions such as Texas, New Mexico, Phoenix area and a few
others. Some new nurses think this challenge exists only in their home state. And some seasoned
nurses think new grads are having trouble finding work because they’re being too picky. Neither
of these perspectives is accurate. We all, new and seasoned nurses alike, must face the reality of
the current job market and do what we can to support one another, especially our new nurses.
New graduate nurses are being affected most profoundly, as many cannot find nursing jobs.
Some are still looking for work a year or more after graduation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Start attending local chapter meetings of professional associations such as the Association of
Nurses Executives (AONE), your state chapter of the American Nurses Association, and any
specialty association that interests you (e.g. Emergency Nurses Association). Here’s where you’ll
meet the department managers that you’ve been trying to get to. You can attend as a guest if you
don’t belong. When there’s something you want to do, it makes sense to rub elbows with those
already doing that thing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Get yourself a conservative business suit – preferably skirted for a women and a traditional suit
for a man. Looking top notch will make you feel more confident and make the best possible
impression.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

“Being a nurse will change your life. It changes your outlook on a lot of things--makes you more passionate about some, thankful for some and just down-right mad about others,” Vella said, adding that the best part of being a nurse is “getting to genuinely make a difference in someone’s life. When a patient tells you ‘thank you for saving my life,’ you can’t help but to be proud. When you get to watch a patient that you didn’t know would live or not walk out of a hospital and know that you are a part of the reason they can live again, you can’t explain the feeling!”

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Nursing Forum right now

Search the Nursing Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What Nursing Shortage? 10 hr Mashudu 1
6 Surefire Ways For CNAs & Nurses to Work As a ... 13 hr 4CNAs 1
Compassion Fatigue-Are The Words Now Causing St... 13 hr 4CNAs 1
Certified Nursing Assistant Continuing Education 13 hr 4CNAs 1
50 Must-Know Statistics About Long-Term Care 18 hr larmiesss 1
Putney's free walk-in clinic closes after 22 years 19 hr Former New Englander 3
UMC proposes tax hike to deal with budget short... 22 hr Imperial Chicano 7
•••
•••