700 medics call for car smoking ban

700 medics call for car smoking ban

There are 13 comments on the Witney Gazette story from Feb 6, 2014, titled 700 medics call for car smoking ban. In it, Witney Gazette reports that:

Hundreds of health experts are calling on the Government to ban smoking in cars carrying children ahead of a Commons vote on Monday Around 700 medics and health experts are calling on the Government to ban smoking in cars carrying children ahead of a Commons vote on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Witney Gazette.

Since: Jan 14

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Feb 6, 2014
Don't you Paramedics work? If you have the time to look inside all the cars to see who has kids and who is smoking than I don't what we all should do if we need you for help. Snap out of it!

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#2 Feb 11, 2014
More losers wanting the government to intrude even more in our lives.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#3 Feb 14, 2014
olivia641540 wrote:
Don't you Paramedics work? If you have the time to look inside all the cars to see who has kids and who is smoking than I don't what we all should do if we need you for help. Snap out of it!
If you actually took the time to READ the article, instead of making stupid assumptions, you would know that the term "medic" is referring to Doctors, Nurses, and other health professionals. You know, the people that treat kids for illnesses and see first hand the damage that second hand smoke causes.

Location hidden

#4 Feb 14, 2014
MSO4 wrote:
More losers wanting the government to intrude even more in our lives.
Actually, it is people like me TELLING the government we no longer want a bunch of selfish, stupid nicotine addicts intruding in our lives with their toxic second hand smoke. Smokers- the addicts- are the REAL losers here. A bunch of piss pants crybabies who cannot go without their pacifier (the cigarette) for any amount of time. No wonder lots of companies are refusing to hire crybaby smokers any more.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#5 Feb 17, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it is people like me TELLING the government we no longer want a bunch of selfish, stupid nicotine addicts intruding in our lives with their toxic second hand smoke. Smokers- the addicts- are the REAL losers here. A bunch of piss pants crybabies who cannot go without their pacifier (the cigarette) for any amount of time. No wonder lots of companies are refusing to hire crybaby smokers any more.
I have no problem with a company refusing to hire smokers, but they cannot enact law like the government can. We allready have big brother telling us what to eat, not to smoke, how to live and so on. Seriously, if anyone needs the governmnet to tell them these things, they should be sterilized so as not to further contaminate the gene pool.

I am a big boy, and if I want to drink like a fish, eat 6000 calories a day, and smoke 5 packs of Kools a day, that should be my choice, not the government.

Location hidden

#6 Feb 17, 2014
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>I have no problem with a company refusing to hire smokers, but they cannot enact law like the government can. We allready have big brother telling us what to eat, not to smoke, how to live and so on. Seriously, if anyone needs the governmnet to tell them these things, they should be sterilized so as not to further contaminate the gene pool.
I am a big boy, and if I want to drink like a fish, eat 6000 calories a day, and smoke 5 packs of Kools a day, that should be my choice, not the government.
Go for it. Just don;t smoke around us.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#7 Feb 17, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Go for it. Just don;t smoke around us.
Don't smoke, and do not like folks smoking next to me, but damn, how many more government rules do we need?

I promise to never tell you what to ffed your kid, what they watch on tv, if you can drink on Sun. or smoke, just give me the same courtesy.

Location hidden

#10 Feb 18, 2014
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't smoke, and do not like folks smoking next to me, but damn, how many more government rules do we need?
I promise to never tell you what to ffed your kid, what they watch on tv, if you can drink on Sun. or smoke, just give me the same courtesy.
We need government rules because there are people who cannot live without them. You would think that "Do not steal" would be understood. The government should not have to make laws to tell people not to steal, and yet people steal. There should not have to be a rule telling people "Second hand smoke is harmful. Do not smoke around non smokers." Yet there are people who persist in this as well. Therefore, we need a law. The government is here to make sure that society works. Without societal constraints, people would murder each other, steal from them, have children working on coal mines, have unsafe working conditions, own slaves... Basically you can get the picture. Figure out a way to make smokers behave more civilly and act with concern
Dan

Omaha, NE

#11 Feb 18, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
We need government rules because there are people who cannot live without them. You would think that "Do not steal" would be understood. The government should not have to make laws to tell people not to steal, and yet people steal. There should not have to be a rule telling people "Second hand smoke is harmful. Do not smoke around non smokers." Yet there are people who persist in this as well. Therefore, we need a law. The government is here to make sure that society works. Without societal constraints, people would murder each other, steal from them, have children working on coal mines, have unsafe working conditions, own slaves... Basically you can get the picture. Figure out a way to make smokers behave more civilly and act with concern
Making people pariahs whilst picking their pockets for tax revenue isn't what I'd call action that "makes society work", nor action that demonstrates behaving "more civilly"/

Location hidden

#12 Feb 18, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Making people pariahs whilst picking their pockets for tax revenue isn't what I'd call action that "makes society work", nor action that demonstrates behaving "more civilly"/
Big tobacco made you pariahs. That and your stupidity. The tax revenue is to get you to quit doing something that is bad for the people around you. In essence, we are punishing you because YOU do not show more civility.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#14 Feb 18, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Big tobacco made you pariahs. That and your stupidity. The tax revenue is to get you to quit doing something that is bad for the people around you. In essence, we are punishing you because YOU do not show more civility.
Um, me paying for the sports arena at the State University via cig taxes, and smokers not paying for it, doesn't make me want to quit.

Smoking's bad for me, not bad for people around me. No one wants to punish me for driving, and those emissions actually ARE toxic.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 18, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, me paying for the sports arena at the State University via cig taxes, and smokers not paying for it, doesn't make me want to quit.
Smoking's bad for me, not bad for people around me. No one wants to punish me for driving, and those emissions actually ARE toxic.
The idea is that we raise cigarette taxes so high that you will no longer wish to smoke. We don't care if you go broke in the meantime. And, in case you have not noticed, there are lots of laws to help reduce the toxic emissions from driving as well as from many other sources. Of course, as an ignorant addict, you think this is all about YOU, the poor smoker. It is not. Smoke as much as you want. Kill yourself and it is no big loss to us, Just quit smoking around other people, As soon as you do that, then we will stop with our efforts to ban smoking as it will no longer be relevant.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#17 Feb 24, 2014
I agree with you Bud_schmones. Smoking doesn't really help. Even just a little bit. If you think it can help you in anyway, then it is your mind that we need to fix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nursing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has anyone heard of or used a stank Buster pen? 22 hr Heather 3
News Whistle-blowing nurse wants action on Nunavut n... (Mar '15) Wed anonymous 159
News Black Healthcare Activism and the Affordable Ca... Mon J Marvin5669 1
News Mother suing Ontario hospital after nurse falls... Mar 13 Mumps in GTA 1
News Wolf discusses economic growth in Scranton stop Mar 11 silly rabbit 1
News Stock up on popcorn by @BloggersRUs Mar 9 YouDidntBuildThat 4
News A Proven Solution to Prevent Infant Abuse and S... (Apr '09) Mar 6 Lauren 2
More from around the web