Pacific Grove man recalls 'Bridge Too Far' jump behind enemy lines

Full story: Monterey County Herald

On Sept. 17, 1944, Cpl. Jerome "Jerry" Morse parachuted into Holland from a C-47 transport plane that had an engine trailing smoke.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Sep 16, 2009
nobama

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

i'm trying to figure out how Vern Fisher from The Herald is credited with taking a picture of Mr. Morse walking through Holland in World War II. Because he took a photo of a photo maybe? I don't know that that is proper.

Since: Jan 08

Monterey County, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

nobama wrote:
i'm trying to figure out how Vern Fisher from The Herald is credited with taking a picture of Mr. Morse walking through Holland in World War II. Because he took a photo of a photo maybe? I don't know that that is proper.
The online version of the story incorrectly attributed the older photo to Herald photographer Vern Fisher. You are correct, the photo was actually contributed by Jerome Morse. I've changed the photo credit; thanks for letting us know!

Lisa Mitchell, Online Editor
The Monterey County Herald
Wrangler

Birds Landing, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Lets change Broadway Ave in Seaside to Morse Street, in honor of someone who fought for freedom.
Oldschool

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Thank you Mr. Morse for your service and selflessness. "The Greatest Generation" indeed.
Susie Q

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2009

Thank you, Mr Morse for sharing your inspiring story. Young people in our country need to hear the stories of your lives while you're still living. Pacific Grove Middle School and Pacific Grove High School both have teachers who require their students to interview people of the "greatest generation" and prepare a report. These were some of my childrens favorite school projects. Not only did they learn about the world at another time, they came to see their neighbors, grandparents or whoever in a different light. I truly hope you have been interviewed by some of these kids. What a treat for them!
Donna Garcia

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

My uncle, Lt Robert Marx was in that operation. He landed on his head as he jumped into Holland on his way to the bridge at Arnhem. His son is in Holland today to take part in the 65th anniversary commemeration of the invasion.
Does anyone outhere remember Uncle Bob?
e-mail me at DGA215@Yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Arnhem, Netherlands Discussions

Search the Arnhem, Netherlands Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jobs Amsterdam Holland - Finding Bar work and T... (May '09) Jun '14 Beerboy 19
The Dutch promote Bitcoin May '14 Rockstar 1
The National Archives of the Netherlands covers... (Aug '08) Jul '13 Barbara 2
Bieber hopes Anne Frank would have been a fan (Apr '13) Apr '13 Lawrence Wolf 10
Halton police Pipes and Drums at Dutch liberati... (Apr '12) Apr '12 hmmm 1
Job (Feb '11) Feb '11 Arnhem 1
Ibogaine: Can it Cure Addiction Without the Hal... (Nov '10) Nov '10 methodical 1
•••
•••