Blue Jackets: Philadelphia center is ...

Blue Jackets: Philadelphia center is top trade target for Howson | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 22 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 9, 2011, titled Blue Jackets: Philadelphia center is top trade target for Howson | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Blue Jackets aren't waiting for the NHL entry draft this month to start work on what they hope will be a summer of blockbuster deals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
all talk no action

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 9, 2011
This team and General Manager talk big. People, believe nothing you read here until you see it happen with your own eyes. The team has been fine with losing for ten full seasons. What would make any of us believe that they are changing now? Believe nothing you read here in the hockey blogs or articles until you see it happen with your own eyes
believe not

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 9, 2011
Mr. Howson and Mr. McConnell talk of big game and never do anything. All rumor and hot air
Tribucks

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 9, 2011
I would love this. Whether or not it's big talk as the other "2" (uh-huh, different posters...sure) want us to believe, it spurs other teams' interested in the #8 pick to put something attractive together. If people get their hopes up too high for pre-draft chatter like this, that's their problem. Don't blame Howson & Co. for trying to be part of any conversation.
Recovery Spring

Saint Joe, IN

#4 Jun 9, 2011
Pull.... the..... trigger.....
Irony

Saint Joe, IN

#5 Jun 9, 2011
all talk no action wrote:
This team and General Manager talk big. People, believe nothing you read here until you see it happen with your own eyes. The team has been fine with losing for ten full seasons. What would make any of us believe that they are changing now? Believe nothing you read here in the hockey blogs or articles until you see it happen with your own eyes
Irony is funny
Blueliner

Columbus, OH

#6 Jun 9, 2011
This would be a great move by the Jackets. Although Voracek may turn out to a very good player, the jury is still out, while Carter is a proven commodity. The length of Carter's contract is a concern, but the Jackets need help immediately at center, and this will allow Johansen to slowly ramp up in Columbus without as much pressure to produce right away. Still need a power play quarterback.
Joe_Schmoe

York, PA

#7 Jun 9, 2011
A trade like this would get me to reconsider premium seating, maybe at the loge level!!
Westerville-ite

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 9, 2011
If this were to happen it would be the type of move this GM should have been making from day 1. What disappoints me is that Philly goes and get Bryzgolov- that's the type of Goaltender WE should have gone after- oh well- the rich teams get richer I guess...
Aaron Portzline NYI Hate

Ridgewood, NY

#9 Jun 9, 2011
If Garth Snow makes this trade Carter goes from someone risky to another wacky move by Snow and owner Charles Wang overnight to take on the contract in the New York Islander world of hate from Aaron Portzline.

So Columbus will take a contract with ten years left and no problem for Portzline but he makes almost as much (more front-loaded) than DiPietro?

And what about some abuse for Crazy Eddie Snider in Philadelphia, who's dumping a player ONE year into an eleven year contract?
9 Dollar Beer

Loveland, OH

#10 Jun 9, 2011
Pull the trigger now! Sometimes the short term dictates the long term. The Jackets need help in all three zones, this move would at least help one of them.
Just Say No

Westerville, OH

#11 Jun 9, 2011
Carter is 26 years old and he has 11 seasons left on his contract at $5.2 million per season. He's had great numbers but will Carter be able to produce for another 11 years? Is he really a $52M player?

Plus, Vorachek struggled offensively but I still believe he will be a very good player within the next few years.

I say this move is too risky. It might help sell seats next year but the the long term cost is too high.
Section 101

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 9, 2011
Oh my lord, this deal stinks! I like Carter, he's a solid performer with great upside (46 goals in awesome), but 11 years on a contract!?!?! He's 26, so that would put him at 36! As I recall, Huse had some seriously high numbers but after he got his 5 million per season hit snooze.

I'd love to see some action and movement of players, but we've been burned so much in the past by players past their prime, former captains, or those not worth their contracts - and at the expense of outstanding talent and picks (Federov, Commodore, Huse, Clark, Moreau, Foote, etc.)

Again, nothing against Carter though I wouldn't mind giving up Jake. Let's get someone with less contract weight over our heads (considering we're still paying Hitch and Commie). Go Jackets!
Coleman the Clown

Cleveland, OH

#13 Jun 9, 2011
If you are assuming that type of contract, I wouldn't include Vorachek.
alaskaflyersfan

Ankeny, IA

#14 Jun 9, 2011
If we trade you Jeff Carter...you are lucky and we are stupid.
Rafer Johnson

Columbus, OH

#15 Jun 9, 2011
Trade Nash straight-up for Iginla too!
farley

San Diego, CA

#16 Jun 9, 2011
As a Flyers fan I hope we don't trade Carter. It would be a big mistake. He is a clutch scorer and these kind of players don't come along very often. He was the reason the Flyers came within a game of winning the cup two years ago.
flyersfan28

Levittown, PA

#17 Jun 9, 2011
farley wrote:
As a Flyers fan I hope we don't trade Carter. It would be a big mistake. He is a clutch scorer and these kind of players don't come along very often. He was the reason the Flyers came within a game of winning the cup two years ago.
being a flyers fan and living in philly, carter is a great player. we have too much depth at center and d so one has to go for ilya. however he is not clutch!!!! gets injured way to much in the playoffs.

also his contract is front loaded so he will make more while he is great and around 33-36 he will make less.

this trade is too good on both sides, wish we could trade richards hahaha
Hey Look Everybody

Lewis Center, OH

#18 Jun 9, 2011
If only we could get our hands on guys like Raffi Torres and Manny Malhotra who can not only make it to the playoffs but make it to the Finals too.
Noballsnash

Chillicothe, OH

#19 Jun 9, 2011
Who was the idiot that let Raffi Torres go for nothing?
harvey

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 10, 2011
DO it, Howson! Get the deal made, the job done - and save your OWN job if you can.

This guy is what we need, a young but experienced big center who can lead and score goals NOW. We can't afford to keep taking shots at draft picks who may or may not pan out 5 years down the road.

Get it done!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Philadelphia Flyers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Things Are Right On Schedule For Scott Laughton (Nov '14) Dec '14 Dman 2
News Flyers edge Blackhawks 3-2 in OT (Mar '14) Apr '14 DMAN 7
News USA Hockey team hopes maturing superstar Kane c... (Jan '14) Jan '14 vladoblaster747 1
News Flyers' Brayden Schenn fined for cross-checking... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Reg 1
News NHL: Ranking the Greatest Goalies in Philadelph... (Nov '13) Nov '13 kevin s 1
News Flyers fire coach Laviolette after 0-3 start (Oct '13) Oct '13 nelson muntz 1
News Hextall returns to Flyers' staff (Jul '13) Oct '13 Dev Starr 9
More from around the web