DiPietro unable to save the Islanders

DiPietro unable to save the Islanders

There are 68 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 10, 2008, titled DiPietro unable to save the Islanders. In it, Newsday reports that:

If the Islanders were hoping franchise goaltender Rick DiPietro would ride in to rescue their playoff chances, it didn't happen Saturday night in Philadelphia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

ken baumgartner

Parsippany, NJ

#41 Mar 10, 2008
keep losing isles

gimme gimme draft picks
Rob

Pittsburgh, PA

#42 Mar 10, 2008
MIKE wrote:
Ricky is just like the Islander fans....he's whining about the new rules that don't favor the goalies.
I'm still not sure if Ricky and the Islanders are more funny or more sad.
Where are you coming up with this? Never mind, you're making it up just like everything else you say. When has DP "whined about unfavorable rules for goaltenders"? There was certainly nothing in this article that suggested that. Greg (or somebody) referred to the goals all being from difficult deflections on the power play and DP's reaction was that they are still goals no matter how they get in. Is that whining?
Proud American

New York, NY

#43 Mar 10, 2008
Lets Face it, guys, DiPietro or no DiPietro, the Isles are a bad team, Poor defense, no scoring ability,
turnovers, inept powerplay, etc...
If you had the dominator or Brodeur
in the pipes, they still would not win. A goal a game will not cut it with any goaltender between the pipes,they would need 50 shutouts a season to get into the plaoffs!!!
NYIhockey16

AOL

#44 Mar 10, 2008
A few points and responses --

Logan: The Islanders, who dropped to 12th, seven points behind the Flyers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, play by the same rules as the Flyers, but they don't play the same game. Where the Flyers had no trouble establishing a presence in the low slot directly in front of the net and firing shots that had a chance to go in, the Isles spent much of their time passing from one side of the net through the slot to the other side of the net without sending anything dangerous toward the net.

Me: Absolutely correct. All the Isles do is try to be fancy and set up the perfect scoring chance -- be it at even-strength or the power play. On several occasions Saturday, I counted at least six consecutive passes on the PP (mostly around the perimeter, of course) before a shot was taken, if one was taken at all.

DiPietro: "Regardless of how they go in, they're goals.They've got some big bodies, and they take up a lot of space in front of the net. It's tough now with all these rules. They get pucks to the net with traffic, and they were able to get some deflections."

Me: Also right on the money. Hockey is a very simple game. GET THE PUCK TO THE NET AND HAVE BODIES IN FRONT!

Nolan: "Give me another 20 Bergenheims. This kid plays with enthusiasm and energy. There's no denying this kid. He's the real deal. He competes all the time."

Me: You are also correct, sir. However, I'd prefer maybe 15 Bergenheims and a few top-line skill players. Comrie is on pace for 55 points this season. He's had all year to prove himself as a No.1 center and the effort is there, but he is a second-line pivot, at best. The last time the Isles had a leading scorer with so low a point total was in the '98-'99 season when Zigmund Palffy had 50 - IN ONLY 50 GAMES -- due to injury. Before that, you have to go all the way back to '94-'95 when "Chicken Parm" Ferraro put up 43 pts. in a lockout-shortened 48-game season. However, both these examples have asterisks for the above-mentioned reasons. To find such a low "leading" scorer who actually played a full season was -- are you ready for this?-- 1973-74, only the franchise's second year of existence, when a gentleman by the name of Denis Potvin scored 54 in 77 games, but even the great future Hall-of-Famer had an excuse because it was his ROOKIE SEASON on a horribly bad team. Even in the darkest days of the team's post-Cup existence, there was always a Pat LaFontaine, Pierre Turgeon or even a Mariusz Czerkawski who could be counted on to score on a regular basis.

It pains me a great deal to criticize a team I have such a passion for and loyalty to, but I'm just seeing things how they are. Perhaps a "Ted Nolan-type" team worked well under the old rules, but maybe not in the new NHL.

Blueskirts are weak

Houston, TX

#45 Mar 10, 2008
Lunquist is not a great goalie......not even close....all teams have to do is shoot high. Besides, he picks on little girls. What kind of "man" picks on little girls....A Blueskirt!
Blueskirts will be gone first round....you heard it here
TMC

Middle Island, NY

#46 Mar 10, 2008
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you coming up with this? Never mind, you're making it up just like everything else you say. When has DP "whined about unfavorable rules for goaltenders"? There was certainly nothing in this article that suggested that. Greg (or somebody) referred to the goals all being from difficult deflections on the power play and DP's reaction was that they are still goals no matter how they get in. Is that whining?
Ah yes,Mr.know-it-all sticks his big ugly nose in once again.Seriously,are that much of a loser?
Believe it or not,people are allowed to express their opinions here whether queen rob likes it or not.
GET OVER YOURSELF
JBT

Bronx, NY

#47 Mar 10, 2008
Great post. 100 percent true.
NYIhockey16 wrote:
Logan: The Islanders, who dropped to 12th, seven points behind the Flyers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, play by the same rules as the Flyers, but they don't play the same game. Where the Flyers had no trouble establishing a presence in the low slot directly in front of the net and firing shots that had a chance to go in, the Isles spent much of their time passing from one side of the net through the slot to the other side of the net without sending anything dangerous toward the net.
Me: Absolutely correct. All the Isles do is try to be fancy and set up the perfect scoring chance -- be it at even-strength or the power play. On several occasions Saturday, I counted at least six consecutive passes on the PP (mostly around the perimeter, of course) before a shot was taken, if one was taken at all.
DiPietro: "Regardless of how they go in, they're goals.They've got some big bodies, and they take up a lot of space in front of the net. It's tough now with all these rules. They get pucks to the net with traffic, and they were able to get some deflections."
Me: Also right on the money. Hockey is a very simple game. GET THE PUCK TO THE NET AND HAVE BODIES IN FRONT!
Nolan: "Give me another 20 Bergenheims. This kid plays with enthusiasm and energy. There's no denying this kid. He's the real deal. He competes all the time."
Me: You are also correct, sir. However, I'd prefer maybe 15 Bergenheims and a few top-line skill players. Comrie is on pace for 55 points this season. He's had all year to prove himself as a No.1 center and the effort is there, but he is a second-line pivot, at best. The last time the Isles had a leading scorer with so low a point total was in the '98-'99 season when Zigmund Palffy had 50 - IN ONLY 50 GAMES -- due to injury. Before that, you have to go all the way back to '94-'95 when "Chicken Parm" Ferraro put up 43 pts. in a lockout-shortened 48-game season. However, both these examples have asterisks for the above-mentioned reasons. To find such a low "leading" scorer who actually played a full season was -- are you ready for this?-- 1973-74, only the franchise's second year of existence, when a gentleman by the name of Denis Potvin scored 54 in 77 games, but even the great future Hall-of-Famer had an excuse because it was his ROOKIE SEASON on a horribly bad team. Even in the darkest days of the team's post-Cup existence, there was always a Pat LaFontaine, Pierre Turgeon or even a Mariusz Czerkawski who could be counted on to score on a regular basis.
It pains me a great deal to criticize a team I have such a passion for and loyalty to, but I'm just seeing things how they are. Perhaps a "Ted Nolan-type" team worked well under the old rules, but maybe not in the new NHL.
JBT

Bronx, NY

#48 Mar 10, 2008
As an Islander fan, I'd love to see the Rangers make a first-round exit, but as a hockey fan, I disagree with your comments. I think all of the playoff teams in the East have several strengths and flaws and any of the eight teams could advance to the finals. Lundqvist isn't great, but he's pretty darn good and has proved that he's pretty solid in the playoffs with last year's performance, as well as nine shutouts this season.

"Lunquist is not a great goalie......not even close....all teams have to do is shoot high. Besides, he picks on little girls. What kind of "man" picks on little girls....A Blueskirt!
Blueskirts will be gone first round....you heard it here"
Scott

Bronx, NY

#49 Mar 10, 2008
Blueskirts are weak wrote:
Lunquist is not a great goalie......not even close....all teams have to do is shoot high. Besides, he picks on little girls. What kind of "man" picks on little girls....A Blueskirt!
Hmmmm , isn't it better to be in playoffs J/O ???
Scott

Bronx, NY

#50 Mar 10, 2008
Tammy Pahn wrote:
<quoted text>
"I" was talking about the Rangers in correllation to other aspects within the NHL that are over-rated.
Wow, are you obsessed with me?
What makes you think that THIS isn't a hobby of mine?
LOL!!!
Love ya Gary, ya dope ya!!!
Tammy Phan
Tammy Phan
Tammy Phan takes it in the Can !
Scott

Bronx, NY

#51 Mar 10, 2008
wooooooooooooooooo Rangers win again !!! Wooooooooooo
Jake

Bronx, NY

#52 Mar 10, 2008
You jealous pah-rick-
I guess it's better to be gone in the first round than to just be gone-
It's the beginning of the end of the NY Islander organization-
Welcome aboard....the Rangers fan base will gladly accept you and all former Islander fans-
Rangers313

Wallkill, NY

#53 Mar 10, 2008
Only 13 more years of missing the playoffs for the Icelanders. Thank you, Ricky! Long live King Henrik!

Since: Feb 08

Atlanta, GA

#54 Mar 11, 2008
NYIhockey16 wrote:
Last night I watched Game 7 of the 1993 playoff series between the Isles and Penguins. Talk about work ethic. I almost forgot how gritty, intelligent and determined that team was that season. It had been years since I viewed the tape in it's entirety. Glenn Healy and Ray Ferraro played their hearts out...as did the majority of players all season long with that particular squad. The point? Since then, it is very hard for me to think of a Isle team that matched the intensity and determination of that group. 15 years is a long time of waiting. In fact, this organization has not won a playoff series since then.
Mike

Danbury, CT

#55 Mar 11, 2008
I'm a huge Isles fan and I am not a DP fan at all. Bring back Luongo...of course, that's a pipe dream. Luongo played on some bad teams with poor defense and still put up great numbers. The DP fans are always saying how great it is to have him handle the puck so well...oh please, we don't need a 3rd defenseman, we need a goaltender.

Secondly, did everyone forget that we're missing Sutton and Campoli, and Witt and Gervais are playing hurt, plus Berard can't see the puck???

This defensive corp is depleted badly.
Get some draft picks boys, see ya next year.
Busey

Melville, NY

#56 Mar 11, 2008
You are so right...
9 shutouts, 2.3gaa, 31 wins.

he is terrible... think we could trade him?
Mike WAtt

Betterton, MD

#57 Mar 11, 2008
Billy Smith was one of the greatest clutch goalies of all time. Richter cwas not even on the same planet
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
very true. I stand corrected.
Busey

Melville, NY

#58 Mar 11, 2008
Mike WAtt wrote:
Billy Smith was one of the greatest clutch goalies of all time. Richter cwas not even on the same planet
<quoted text>
whatever you say...keep drinkin the kool aid.

have a another celebration while your at it.
jean luc

Wantagh, NY

#59 Mar 11, 2008
at least wang gave him a 15 year contract to figure it out
Cal Lostomie

Huntington, NY

#60 Mar 11, 2008
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
whatever you say...keep drinkin the kool aid.
have a another celebration while your at it.
When your done drinking the Kool-Aid, you can wipe your mouth with one of Smith's Stanley Cup banners.....after all, he's got a few extras (unlike Richter).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Islanders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Full Details (Jan '06) Jul '16 gut feeling 2
News New York Riveters Coverage at Lighthouse Hockey (Jul '15) Jul '15 tom wingo 2
News First Impressions of Islanders Hockey at Barcla... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fart news 2
News Islanders open with victory (Oct '14) Oct '14 CHforever 1
News Michael Grabner Shines In Preliminary Round For... (Feb '14) Apr '14 sam 3
News Thomas Vanek Stolen By Montreal Canadiens (Mar '14) Mar '14 Nova 7
News Canada's John Tavares out for rest of Olympics (Feb '14) Feb '14 Mark S 1
More from around the web