DiPietro unable to save the Islanders

DiPietro unable to save the Islanders

There are 68 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 10, 2008, titled DiPietro unable to save the Islanders. In it, Newsday reports that:

If the Islanders were hoping franchise goaltender Rick DiPietro would ride in to rescue their playoff chances, it didn't happen Saturday night in Philadelphia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

bhockey47

New York, NY

#21 Mar 10, 2008
The bottom line is of course the issue with the entire team,,,no names, no snipers, no scoring,,,no nothing. But the issue with DP is that his college style play, doesn't work in the NHL no matter how good a defense is put in front of him. He's terrific one week, ok the next, then sucks. Granted at $4.5+ mil a year in a few years he's gonna be a "bargain", but the time has come for Charles, Garth, and Ted to stop with the bargains. The team as we set it right now is going no where. As a season ticket holder I don't want to pay thousands for playoff tickets only to watch lackluster, mediocre hockey. Saturday night, Howie and Jaffe said, the best line right now is the "kids"...hey folks that's the 4th line. And I don't believe that DP deserves superstar status. What Ted has done with this group of players is amazing, but these guys aren't the 69 Mets, nor the Miracle On Ice, nor the Islander Dynasty teams...those teams played their hearts out, even before they became, Miracles. Just don't see it here...no heart, no grit, including the goalie.
Busey

Melville, NY

#22 Mar 10, 2008
Tammy Pahn wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Rags are the most overrated TEAM in the history of the NHL......year after year.
who said anything about the Rangers? I was talking about DP...

obsessed much?
wow, get a hobby
MIKE

Wilmington, DE

#23 Mar 10, 2008
Busey wrote:
DP is the most overrated player in the history of the NHL
After Billy Smith, DP is the most overrated goalie in NHL history.
Billy Smith couldn't hold Brodeur's or Richter's jockstrap-
JBT

Jersey City, NJ

#24 Mar 10, 2008
Mike,
Either you've just started following New York hockey, or you need to look up the meaning of the word "hypocrite".
Fans of both teams are constantly ragging on each other since the Island was awarded the franchise back in 1972. We're pretty bad this year, but don't kid yourself into thinking that the Ranger fans are CONSTANTLY bringing themselves into Islander conversations. I, for one, welcome their HOCKEY comments.

MIKE wrote:
<quoted text>
Did someone mention the RANGERS ?
What's your obsession with the RANGERS ? Can any Islander fans just talk "ISLANDERS" without talking about the RANGERS- This is one of the problems- Too concerned about the Rangers-
JBT

Jersey City, NJ

#25 Mar 10, 2008
*aren't
Dino

New York, NY

#26 Mar 10, 2008
I have to agree with Busey, I have never seen such high praise for a player in the nhl, let alone a goaltender, with nothing to back it up. The stats dont lie. People are still relying on his college career.
Busey

Melville, NY

#27 Mar 10, 2008
MIKE wrote:
<quoted text>
After Billy Smith, DP is the most overrated goalie in NHL history.
Billy Smith couldn't hold Brodeur's or Richter's jockstrap-
very true. I stand corrected.
Dino

New York, NY

#28 Mar 10, 2008
apparently people here were saying wait till DP comes back, you will laugh for saying the islanders should play dubie. The islanders have actually been a better team with Dubie in net, this year and last.
The Sound Of Greatness

New York, NY

#29 Mar 10, 2008
boom boom HENRIK
boom boom HENRIK
JBT

Jersey City, NJ

#30 Mar 10, 2008
Dino,

You've made some good comments the last few days. Maybe one of these days you'll actually acknowledge the Islanders as an NHL franchise. Just Kidding.
In all seriousness, I watched the Rangers-Bruins game on Sunday and both Lundqvist and Auld played out of their minds. Henrik has obviously been very good the last 25 games or so, and you don't get nine shutouts in one season by accident. But DP's GAA of 2.70 is a little bit deceiving. What I mean by that is the Rangers' defense is far better than the Islanders': The Rangers are 3rd in the league in shots allowed (25.9) per game, while the Islanders are 18th (29.3). Not saying that Lundqvist doesn't make a ton of tough saves, because he does, but over the course of a game, DP has to face more than three shots per game more. That adds up over a long season. So I think its more the poor defense than DP not playing well. Granted, he's been awful lately, but over his career he's never had a stud defenseman (or even a few above-average ones) in front of him.
JBT

Jersey City, NJ

#31 Mar 10, 2008
Why would he want to hold their jockstraps?
Brodeur, I can see, because he has three cups and is the second best goalie all-time behind Patrick Roy (Ken Dryden gets an honorable mention). Richter was very good, but he didn't win four cups.

"Billy Smith couldn't hold Brodeur's or Richter's jockstrap"
Tammy Pahn

Huntington, NY

#32 Mar 10, 2008
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
who said anything about the Rangers? I was talking about DP...
obsessed much?
wow, get a hobby
"I" was talking about the Rangers in correllation to other aspects within the NHL that are over-rated.
Wow, are you obsessed with me?
What makes you think that THIS isn't a hobby of mine?

LOL!!!

Love ya Gary, ya dope ya!!!
Effigy of the Forgotten

AOL

#33 Mar 10, 2008
hmmm, one on hand, theres an article about Lundqvist and his 9th shutout and here we have an article about how Dipietro is "unable to save the day".

Where all the Isles fans and their bile spewing about how their goalie is better ?

Let it be known that Im not coming here saying who IS better, just poking fun at those who are always sh !tting out of their mouth that Lundqvist is nothing special.
Rob

Pittsburgh, PA

#34 Mar 10, 2008
MIKE wrote:
<quoted text>
After Billy Smith, DP is the most overrated goalie in NHL history.
Billy Smith couldn't hold Brodeur's or Richter's jockstrap-
This is laughable. Billy Smith is not overrated at all. He is not considered one of the best ever. His pads were half the size of Brodeur's or Richter's. Richter is only one of the best ever if we are talking about U.S. born players. Though there are people on here that are obviously too young to remember and they challenge this idea, they highlighted this once again on Saturday's NBC broadcast. They showed comparison pics of goaltenders through the years. Today's goalies are simply not comparable (in the truest sense of the word) to the likes of Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, and others.

And though I'm sure you'll all try to argue that I've said something here that I haven't... Smith and Richter were both excellent goaltenders. To list Richter with Brodeur but suggest that Smith is overrated by comparison is absurd.
JBT

Jersey City, NJ

#35 Mar 10, 2008
Fair enough.
Effigy of the Forgotten wrote:
hmmm, one on hand, theres an article about Lundqvist and his 9th shutout and here we have an article about how Dipietro is "unable to save the day".
Where all the Isles fans and their bile spewing about how their goalie is better ?
Let it be known that Im not coming here saying who IS better, just poking fun at those who are always sh !tting out of their mouth that Lundqvist is nothing special.

Since: Feb 08

Atlanta, GA

#36 Mar 10, 2008
bhockey47 wrote:
The bottom line is of course the issue with the entire team,,,no names, no snipers, no scoring,,,no nothing. But the issue with DP is that his college style play, doesn't work in the NHL no matter how good a defense is put in front of him. He's terrific one week, ok the next, then sucks. Granted at $4.5+ mil a year in a few years he's gonna be a "bargain", but the time has come for Charles, Garth, and Ted to stop with the bargains. The team as we set it right now is going no where. As a season ticket holder I don't want to pay thousands for playoff tickets only to watch lackluster, mediocre hockey. Saturday night, Howie and Jaffe said, the best line right now is the "kids"...hey folks that's the 4th line. And I don't believe that DP deserves superstar status. What Ted has done with this group of players is amazing, but these guys aren't the 69 Mets, nor the Miracle On Ice, nor the Islander Dynasty teams...those teams played their hearts out, even before they became, Miracles. Just don't see it here...no heart, no grit, including the goalie.
You forgot to mention the stellar power-play...I have been knocking Garth around for a few months here. I do not see a clear cut plan on his part to fix the mess he inherited. He does deserve more time to try and fix it. This current roster actually over-achieved IMO. Here is proof that it can be turned around quickly. Paul Holmgren has had less time as a GM in Philly than Snow's current tenure and look at the moves he made to turn that team around in less than 1 season.
Dino

New York, NY

#37 Mar 10, 2008
JBT wrote:
Dino,
You've made some good comments the last few days. Maybe one of these days you'll actually acknowledge the Islanders as an NHL franchise. Just Kidding.
In all seriousness, I watched the Rangers-Bruins game on Sunday and both Lundqvist and Auld played out of their minds. Henrik has obviously been very good the last 25 games or so, and you don't get nine shutouts in one season by accident. But DP's GAA of 2.70 is a little bit deceiving. What I mean by that is the Rangers' defense is far better than the Islanders': The Rangers are 3rd in the league in shots allowed (25.9) per game, while the Islanders are 18th (29.3). Not saying that Lundqvist doesn't make a ton of tough saves, because he does, but over the course of a game, DP has to face more than three shots per game more. That adds up over a long season. So I think its more the poor defense than DP not playing well. Granted, he's been awful lately, but over his career he's never had a stud defenseman (or even a few above-average ones) in front of him.
If you take all my comments throughout the year in total, i am just joking around with the islander stuff. Some of my best friends in the world are islander fans, and although I love the rivalry and the islanders are the only new york team I hate, I still would love a nice playoff series between the 2 teams where both teams would be good at the same time, aka no sweep. I still think there is a chance down the road for that, and DP vs Lundqvist will be our little jeter vs reyes, a fun argument.

DP at times looks amazing. Let me start by saying one of my favorite players of all time is Richter. Now I see many comparisons between richter and DP. I am still not putting DP on mikes level, but the comparisons I see are negative.

For one, is the injuries. Both have been stunted by untimely and bad injuries. The other is, I think both look great at times when greatness was not needed. As a product of bad positioning, they wind up with these amazing highlight saves that make everyone rave, when a better positioning in front of the net would have resulted in a less flashy save, yet more saves the rest of the way.

The problem I see with DP is, hes not a rookie anymore. I dont know if he will change his entire game. Better defense would certainly help, but I have said from the beginning of the year that I thought the islanders had a better defense then the rangers. Staal has been an extremely pleasent surprise, and girardi and toot are both hard working and solid, but i think the rangers get by with defense from their forwards more than the defensemen.

Of course, the islanders defense was crippled with injuries, so you may have a point.
Dino

New York, NY

#38 Mar 10, 2008
one thing that hurts the rangers D is their sloppy puck handling. Poor Hank gets left out to dry with some of these turnovers right in front of him. Or even worse, the dozens of goals scored on him by Roszival Malik and friends

Since: Feb 08

Atlanta, GA

#39 Mar 10, 2008
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
This is laughable. Billy Smith is not overrated at all. He is not considered one of the best ever. His pads were half the size of Brodeur's or Richter's. Richter is only one of the best ever if we are talking about U.S. born players. Though there are people on here that are obviously too young to remember and they challenge this idea, they highlighted this once again on Saturday's NBC broadcast. They showed comparison pics of goaltenders through the years. Today's goalies are simply not comparable (in the truest sense of the word) to the likes of Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, and others.
And though I'm sure you'll all try to argue that I've said something here that I haven't... Smith and Richter were both excellent goaltenders. To list Richter with Brodeur but suggest that Smith is overrated by comparison is absurd.
I remember Bernie Parent and Kelly Hrudey having the smallest goalie leg pads ever...the equipment today is far superior in every way (performance and protection) even from just 20 years ago.

Since: Feb 08

Atlanta, GA

#40 Mar 10, 2008
Dino wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take all my comments throughout the year in total, i am just joking around with the islander stuff. Some of my best friends in the world are islander fans, and although I love the rivalry and the islanders are the only new york team I hate, I still would love a nice playoff series between the 2 teams where both teams would be good at the same time, aka no sweep. I still think there is a chance down the road for that, and DP vs Lundqvist will be our little jeter vs reyes, a fun argument.
DP at times looks amazing. Let me start by saying one of my favorite players of all time is Richter. Now I see many comparisons between richter and DP. I am still not putting DP on mikes level, but the comparisons I see are negative.
For one, is the injuries. Both have been stunted by untimely and bad injuries. The other is, I think both look great at times when greatness was not needed. As a product of bad positioning, they wind up with these amazing highlight saves that make everyone rave, when a better positioning in front of the net would have resulted in a less flashy save, yet more saves the rest of the way.
The problem I see with DP is, hes not a rookie anymore. I dont know if he will change his entire game. Better defense would certainly help, but I have said from the beginning of the year that I thought the islanders had a better defense then the rangers. Staal has been an extremely pleasent surprise, and girardi and toot are both hard working and solid, but i think the rangers get by with defense from their forwards more than the defensemen.
Of course, the islanders defense was crippled with injuries, so you may have a point.
A full, 7-game series between The Isles and Rangers would be incredible for hockey, not just New York. Especially, if it's in the semi-final round where the winner moves on to the cup final.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Islanders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Full Details (Jan '06) Jul '16 gut feeling 2
News New York Riveters Coverage at Lighthouse Hockey (Jul '15) Jul '15 tom wingo 2
News First Impressions of Islanders Hockey at Barcla... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fart news 2
News Islanders open with victory (Oct '14) Oct '14 CHforever 1
News Michael Grabner Shines In Preliminary Round For... (Feb '14) Apr '14 sam 3
News Thomas Vanek Stolen By Montreal Canadiens (Mar '14) Mar '14 Nova 7
News Canada's John Tavares out for rest of Olympics (Feb '14) Feb '14 Mark S 1
More from around the web