Brodeur gets NHL record 552nd win

Brodeur gets NHL record 552nd win

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 18, 2009, titled Brodeur gets NHL record 552nd win. In it, Newsday reports that:

Right here in New Jersey, where he always has wanted to be, Martin Brodeur stood where every goaltender ever has wanted to be, as the greatest winner in the history of the National Hockey League .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Leafs fan

Brampton, Canada

#21 Apr 17, 2009
Luongo will probably break the record soon
Bill

Stamford, CT

#22 Jun 27, 2010
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
So because I'm a Rangers fan I can't have an opinion?
Marty is the most overrated player in the HISTORY of the NHL....
Lou should be given an award for being the greatest GM ever...
I'm not saying Marty isn't very good, because he def is, but I could name 10 goalies that are better.
If Lundqvist Richter and Giacomin are on the list I'm just gonna label you a retard.
Bill

Stamford, CT

#23 Jun 27, 2010
Dr A Degall wrote:
<quoted text>
His legacy will forever be tainted by his refusal to shake Avery's hand in last years playoffs. When it comes to class Marty comes up small.
If Avery had apologized to Marty for Game 3 and calling him a whiner the year before that on MSG then I could see how people say that he has no class, but he didn't, so you're just a retard.
Bill

Stamford, CT

#24 Jun 27, 2010
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
So because I'm a Rangers fan I can't have an opinion?
Marty is the most overrated player in the HISTORY of the NHL....
Lou should be given an award for being the greatest GM ever...
I'm not saying Marty isn't very good, because he def is, but I could name 10 goalies that are better.
I could name a lot more than 10 goalies better than Lundqvist. Want me to start? Brodeur, Roy, Sawchuk, Richter, Cam Ward, Tim Thomas, Miller, Giguere, Osgood, Vernon, Fleury, Kiprusoff, Niemi, Smith, Dryden, Halak, Leighton, Roloson (06 playoffs too old now), Belfour, Joseph. That's 20 goalies better than Lundqvist.
Bill

Stamford, CT

#25 Jun 27, 2010
Hasek too.
Bill

Stamford, CT

#28 Jul 8, 2010
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>If Avery had apologized to Marty for Game 3 and calling him a whiner the year before that on MSG then I could see how people say that he has no class, but he didn't, so you're just a retard.
Sorry for calling you a retard.
Bill

Stamford, CT

#29 Jul 8, 2010
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>If Lundqvist Richter and Giacomin are on the list I'm just gonna label you a retard.
Not the best way to word it, but yeah, No way Lundqvist, Richter, and Giacomin should be on that list.
P Smith

Taiwan

#31 Jul 11, 2010
GMAB wrote:
No doubt a very good goalie, but he profited from playing behind the Devil's boa constrictor system of defense which featured the trap and therefore saw a lot less shots (about 20-23 per game) than most goalies. In that perspective, let's keep it in perspective and not consider renaming the Vezina Trophy the Brodeur Award.
Brodeur is more comparable to Ken Dryden than Patrick Roy. Both Broeur and Dryden had defenses and teams in front of them that contained multiple hall of fame players.

Dryden had Serge Savard, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, and many great two-way forwards like Jacques Lemaire and Bob Gainey (whom Viktor Tikhonov once named the greatest player in the world - praise from Caesar is praise indeed). Brodeur had Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko and many others; while there were fewer Hall of Fame calibre players on the Devils, they still had great teams and were highly disciplined.

Other than a few years with Larry Robinson and Petr Svoboda, who did Patrick Roy have in front of him? Precious little. Someone once described the Denver Broncos as "John Elway and 44 other guys", and the same was true for Roy's years in Montreal - Roy was literally carrying the team on his back to Cups in 1986 and 1993. If you compare the talent of the goalies' teams to accomplishments, Roy's far exceeds Dryden's or Brodeur's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Jersey Devils Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Forget the Best, Who Was the Worst New Jersey D... (Jun '14) Jul '17 Best phart 3
News Martin Brodeur Going Home To Montreal? (Sep '14) Nov '14 Spartacus1962 12
News Flyers' Brayden Schenn fined for cross-checking... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Reg 1
News Ilya Kovalchuk Retires from NHL After 11-Year C... (Jul '13) Jul '13 me 1
News NHL Draft Grades 2013: Ranking Best Team Perfor... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Trevor Timmins 1
News Montreal Canadiens Smart to Buy Out Tomas Kaberle (Jun '13) Jun '13 Spartacus1962 2
News Devils return top pick Stefan Matteau to juniors (Mar '13) Mar '13 skk 1
More from around the web