Wild newcomer Kyle Brodziak earned co...

Wild newcomer Kyle Brodziak earned coach Todd Richards' respect...

There are 5 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 28, 2009, titled Wild newcomer Kyle Brodziak earned coach Todd Richards' respect.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The first time Todd Richards saw Kyle Brodziak play he was unimpressed, so when Richards became his AHL coach in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., he scratched him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Velvet Fog

United States

#1 Jun 29, 2009
Brodziak (6'2") nice Acquisition. Now I'll put on the GM hat.#1) Sedin twins (6'1" & 6' 2") in free agency solid offense.#2) Ollie Jokinen (6'3") from Calgary for picks and prospects (Calgary needs cap space-Bouwmeester) I like Sedin, Jokinen and Mikko Koivu up the middle of the ice.#3) Trade Pierre-Marc Bouchard to Edmonton's for Dustin Penner. Similar contract amount (different term) and I'm certain Penner (6'4") wouldn't mind leaving Edmonton. Fresh start and the Wild needs more "touch" and "presence" in front of net (Powerplay). Win/win for both organizations. Edmonton needs more skill.#4) Finally re-up Harding for $1.25M for three years. Say goodbye to Gaborik, Bouchard, Vellieux, Bergeron, Foster, Fritsche, & Olvecky. A new era.
Avid Wild Fan

Burnsville, MN

#2 Jun 29, 2009
Velvet, I like some of your thoughts. Here are mine, trade for Heatley, sign Saku Koivu, Marian Hossa (to replace Gaborik), and maybe a defensive defenseman to help out. I like the Idea of jettisoning Vellieux, Bergeron, Foster, Fritsche, & Olvecky. Keep Bouchard. The new regime looks to be turning a corner and it appears will go after some players to help us get back into the playoffs & a stanley cup run. The sedins are a package deal & I don't like the package deal (no toughness, good hockey players but not grit).
Justin

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jun 29, 2009
This is a good pickup for Fletcher. I believe Riseborough's malpractice was his refusal to do anything about the lack of depth in the Center position (Koivu and who?).

As for the other comments in this thread...

I'm not sold on the Sedins, especially at the price their going to command.

Also, I think Heatley is rife with problems not warranting his $7.5M Salary. Ottawa is absolutely screwed because of his trade demand, I don't want the Wild in the same situation in two years when he does the same thing, and I think most of the other 28 teams agree.

Harding will be valuable at the next trade deadline as a rental, I don't see him signing long term here to back up Backstrom for three more seasons. There are many more experienced UFA goalies this summer, so I'm not even sure someone will try to poach Harding. But look for Harding to sign for a minimum term this summer and the Wild to trade him as a rental next March.

I agree with letting Gaborik go, but I think the Wild need to use the $7.5M of cap space he frees up much wiser than on Dany Heatley. I think they can pick up a couple decent forwards for that and continue to build around Bouchard and Koivu.

I don't think the Wild need drastic changes (such as hacking half the team apart). I think they just needed a better GM. Not only from an evaluation standpoint, but a player relations standpoint as well. Fletch just needs to be more willing to use free agency than his predecessor, who seemed he'd rather die than get off of his perpetual "building for the future" kick.
Grant

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jun 29, 2009
Good comments. Ill agree with the 2nd one about bringing in Saku to play with his brother (even though I heard they dont get along with each other that well on the national team), not sure if there is any truth to that though.

A roster overhaul isnt needed, this isnt the timberwolves here. They are only 1 year removed from a division title and I think with a few good free agent signings this offseason and the new coaching staff, we can be right back in the mix for winning the Northwest.
Wild One

Hudson, WI

#5 Jun 30, 2009
I am not sure that Saku wants to play with Mikko. All interviews that I have seen/heard with him have him (Saku) talking about how Mikko needs to be his own person on his own team whenever the interviewer asks about whether or not they want to play together. That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath for the brothers playing together.
Grant wrote:
Good comments. Ill agree with the 2nd one about bringing in Saku to play with his brother (even though I heard they dont get along with each other that well on the national team), not sure if there is any truth to that though.
A roster overhaul isnt needed, this isnt the timberwolves here. They are only 1 year removed from a division title and I think with a few good free agent signings this offseason and the new coaching staff, we can be right back in the mix for winning the Northwest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edmonton Oilers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News From McDavid's Oilers to Matthews' Leafs, Canad... Sep '17 From phartx 2
News Edmonton Oilers Oil and News: Smyth, Talbot and... (Jul '15) Jul '17 See phartse 4
News Hockey tribute for slain man (Feb '07) Jun '17 His phartse 96
News Jordan Eberle's two goals lead Edmonton Oilers ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 2
News Check Out the Edmonton Oilers Pride Tape Campaign (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Emma: Patrick Kane Keeps Elevating His Game (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 3
News Connor McDavid Only Has The NHL To Blame (May '15) May '15 stewart scott 3
More from around the web